Overused Ideas in BG-series

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#161 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

Yes, I appreciate BG1 somewhat more, too, though it had some not-exactly-perfect moments, as well as BG2. (Larry, Deryl and Deryl come to mind.)

View Post

The great Fourth Wall Breakage Offence?

#162 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:43 AM

Anyways, in answer to your question: an NPC with BG2 level of development(Viconia, Valygar) in BG1 setting(freedom, mystery, realism) would be a nice example of Bioware quality for me.

A good point here, I conceed.

I'd say that pretty much any TUTU NPC is a not overused idea....

O, well, I think I only have to suffer through Bg2-SoA twice more! :)

#163 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:47 AM

The great Fourth Wall Breakage Offence?

It is certainly not something I like to see in the series.

#164 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:51 AM

Off-topic, I think I remember you saying that you like Pratchett, right?

#165 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:58 AM

Certainly. I trust you see the difference between reading books, and diving into the virtual world?

I would also point out that the quality of Larry\Bondari\similar BG content is much lower than that of Pratchett's writing. Thankfully, Terry Pratchett is much more subtle.

#166 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:09 PM

Er... Pratchett, subtle? Uhm, Okay.

#167 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

Certainly. I trust you see the difference between reading books, and diving into the virtual world?

I'd be happy to hear you explain the difference. Both of the worlds feel rather vivid and real when I immerse in the setting, no matter if its reading or playing.

I would also point out that the quality of Larry\Bondari\similar BG content is much lower than that of Pratchett's writing. Thankfully, Terry Pratchett is much more subtle.

View Post

Oh yes. Right. The very numerous RL references in his works are so very subtle. I still remember laughing about those about the modern music industry, or the Swiss chalet. Funny they were, subtle they weren't.

I'm sorry, but I find your dismissive comments about the quality of Bioware writing regarding the references to be borne out of your personal distaste of them - but then again, plenty of people find them to be the most amusing moments in the game. So I am just wondering, what sort of credentials do you have that allow you to pass the judgement over the quality of writing - or rather, the lack of it.

#168 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:55 PM

I'd be happy to hear you explain the difference. Both of the worlds feel rather vivid and real when I immerse in the setting, no matter if its reading or playing.

View Post

Terry Pratchett writes humorous books.
BG is an epic saga.
Terry Pratchett's books are full of RL referneces, because he writes about stuff that happens in RL.

Edited by Delight, 24 October 2005 - 12:58 PM.

#169 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:01 PM

I'm sorry, but I find your dismissive comments about the quality of Bioware writing regarding the references to be borne out of your personal distaste of them - but then again, plenty of people find them to be the most amusing moments in the game.

So you think that the popularity of a piece of literature is reflective of its quality?

So I am just wondering, what sort of credentials do you have that allow you to pass the judgement over the quality of writing - or rather, the lack of it.

I wasn't aware we were required to submit our CVs every time we comment on writing.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#170 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:14 PM

Terry Pratchett's books are full of RL referneces, because he writes about stuff that happens in RL.

View Post

Erm, no? He writes about stuff that happens in the fantasy world of Discworld that is full of wizzards and witches and magic? It's a fantasy setting that is perfectly equal to that of Faerunian.

#171 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:16 PM

And yes, if you try to immerse yourself in the lore and background of Discworld, you're probably in for a comparatively bad time.

#172 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:21 PM

View Post

Erm, no? He writes about stuff that happens in the fantasy world of Discworld that is full of wizzards and witches and magic? It's a fantasy setting that is perfectly equal to that of Faerunian.

View Post

He writes about stuff that hapens in RL, but he makes it happen in fantasy world.

#173 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

He writes about stuff that hapens in RL, but he makes it happen in fantasy world.

Uhm, most things that happen in BG happen in real life as well - wars, mercenaries for hire, assassination, prisons... appart from magic of course. Faerun is by definition the world close enough to Earth with such funny stuff as real Egiptians and the pantheon imported there from Earth to have Mulhorand, for example.

That's said, the 4th wall references are risky bussiness because I think it is so very easy to irritate people with them. But, I think, BioWARE is firmly in favor of not taking themselves and their players too seriously, and is it that bad? It's hit and miss...

I, for one, don't like Prattchet, while I like the "Monday Starts on Sunday" and I don't mind some of BG 4th wall references (I love the Spectator Beholder with his Captain, my Captain), while I don't like Boundary reloads joke. I like 'foreshadowing' references in BG1, like the "copyrighted" joke with Elminster. On the other hand, Viconia speaking of genetics annoys me.

#174 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

BG is an epic saga.

Why shouldn't there be humor in an epic saga? As for that fourth wall breakage that I don't mind as a general rule no matter, what about Dave Sim's Cerebus? I would call it epic and it is full of stuff like that.

#175 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:16 PM

And yes, if you try to immerse yourself in the lore and background of Discworld, you're probably in for a comparatively bad time.

View Post

I disagree unless you mean something completely different with immersing than I do.

It has background, lore, history, economy, metaphysics, religion... the humor is just an approach he has chosen, and then only the most obvious thing about the books.

I would say that in that sense Discworld has far more depth than Baldur's Gate saga, a semi-canon computer game plot set in Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting of Forgotten Realms.

#176 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:04 PM

BG is an epic saga.

Why shouldn't there be humor in an epic saga?

Depends what you mean. Should there be a joke where we find a demi-god chinchilla, and laugh because the developers are telling us (the players) a joke, or is one of the in-game characters telling our in-game PC a joke? I dislike the former, but the latter would work for me in a game like BG.

As for Pratchett, humour is sort of what one expects from his books, so you won't be miffed when he breaks the somber, serious mood by having one of his characters do something outrageously hilarious because there is no serious, somber mood.

#177 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

So you think that the popularity of a piece of literature is reflective of its quality?

Let me put it this way: I am not arrogant enough to declare Tolkien's writing to be of bad quality just because I don't particularly enjoy reading LotR.

I wasn't aware we were required to submit our CVs every time we comment on writing.

View Post

Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly fine to say you don't like a certain element in the game. I could make a long list of things I don't like - but I don't like them because I think they are badly written and of sub-par quality. However, to declare something as a piece of bad writing and something that should not have been in the game... smacks a little of arrogance.

#178 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

But by this post, you are literally stating that while you are allowed to say that in your opinion something is badly written and of sub-par quality, others are not.

My direct answer to your question: "It is certainly not something I like to see in the series." Is this not a personal opinion to you?

I would not bother with "in my personal opinion, and it is my point of view only, please, do not take it as the one and only true version, since it is only just how I, personally, view things" in my answers to Sim and Domi, since they, I assume - and I am sorry if I assume wrongly - do not make a difference between "this is crap" and "in my opinion, this is crap."

#179 Theodur

Theodur

Proud Founder of EATCO

• 182 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:10 PM

But by this post, you are literally stating that while you are allowed to say that in your opinion something is badly written and of sub-par quality, others are not.

Umm, sorry, I think I wasn't clear enough in my previous post, so you could have interpreted in a way it wasn't intended. My apologies! :)

I meant to say: "I could make a long list of things I don't like - but that is not because I think they are badly written and of sub-par quality, I don't like them because they do not appeal to my tastes."

I would not bother with "in my personal opinion, and it is my point of view only, please, do not take it as the one and only true version, since it is only just how I, personally, view things" in my answers to Sim and Domi, since they, I assume - and I am sorry if I assume wrongly - do not make a difference between "this is crap" and "in my opinion, this is crap."

View Post

Ah, I see! Well, to me, that difference is very important. I don't find RL references or breaking of the fourth wall to be a sign of having a bad taste, in fact I rather like them for the most part, so you'll have to pardon me if I'm not overjoyed with people stating that "this is crap, this is bad taste and this should have never been in the game". To me, the subject of references is clearly a matter of taste and shouldn't be subject to outright dismissal, just because someone personally doesn't like them.

I hope we can at least still agree to disagree on this. :)

Edited by Theodur, 24 October 2005 - 11:11 PM.

#180 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:15 PM

View Post

I disagree unless you mean something completely different with immersing than I do.

No, I mean exactly the same by immersing. Whether something *has* background and lore doesn't affect how horrible the experience of immersing oneself in it is likely to be.

Let me put it this way: I am not arrogant enough to declare Tolkien's writing to be of bad quality just because I don't particularly enjoy reading LotR.

But that doesn't seem to be anything to do with what I asked. Your defence of BG2's comedy moments was "it's popular". And so, I'm still asking, do you think that serves as an adequate defence of writing quality?

View Post

Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly fine to say you don't like a certain element in the game. I could make a long list of things I don't like - but I don't like them because I think they are badly written and of sub-par quality. However, to declare something as a piece of bad writing and something that should not have been in the game... smacks a little of arrogance.

View Post

You really think it's that arrogant to suggest that "Run, my furry brothers! RUN!!" isn't neccessarily a great part of literary history?