Photo

Making An NPC: The Poll

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Poll: What is most important in making or choosing an NPC? (356 member(s) have cast votes)

What is most important in making or choosing an NPC?

1. Raw Killing Power (10 votes [2.80%])

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

2. Humor Value (22 votes [6.16%])

Percentage of vote: 6.16%

3. Love and Romance (43 votes [12.04%])

Percentage of vote: 12.04%

4. Seems to fit perfectly into the game world (82 votes [22.97%])

Percentage of vote: 22.97%

5. Cool new fights (6 votes [1.68%])

Percentage of vote: 1.68%

6. Cool new kits, items, and spells (5 votes [1.40%])

Percentage of vote: 1.40%

7. Quality Interaction with other NPCs and CHARNAME (136 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

8. Sex. Endless, guilt free, uncomplicated sex (20 votes [5.60%])

Percentage of vote: 5.60%

9. Lots and lots of banter, just keep talking (29 votes [8.12%])

Percentage of vote: 8.12%

10. Technical interest (4 votes [1.12%])

Percentage of vote: 1.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:24 PM

the Elfwood Web site has a writing section (FARP, if memory serves) where I found questions we should ask ourselves about character development. I find this as useful for fleshing out a role-playing character as for creating a character in a work of fiction.

Would you mind posting a link? Or PMing me the questions?

EDIT: Also what's the language/translation for your sig?

With pleasure!

http://www.elfwood.c...crissychar.html

There are many useful items on that site, especially in the writing section. Of course, the main appeal of the site is (some of) the artwork :)

As for the sig...the language is Tolkien Elvish. If memory serves, it's Sindarin. That's enough hint for you, I think ;) I'll spill it, though, if you prefer not to investigate for yourself.

Cheers,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#62 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Four years, and this poll still gets a poke from time to time. Nice.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#63 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

Four years, and this poll still gets a poke from time to time. Nice.

Uh-oh...does that mean I've necroposted again? Sorry if I did :(

- E

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#64 Emzeror

Emzeror
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

I think Berelinde really meant it was nice to keep some meaningful posts like this one going. Beside, the first one to "bump" this one was actually me :)
Shadow of Asere - Mod under development. - More information coming.

"Tales and stories long forgotten has been remembered,
evil and chaos sealed away has been found,
beware mortal, the world will tremble once again."

-- Asere

#65 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 03:36 AM

Uh-oh...does that mean I've necroposted again? Sorry if I did :(

- E

This is a pinned topic, so it's kind of meant to be around forever - it's not a problem here. :cheers:

#66 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:09 AM

No, what's important in an NPC is always a pertinent topic, so it's good somebody gives it a poke every once in a while to keep things fresh. :)

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#67 Paloesha

Paloesha
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

I voted for quality interaction.  Although fitting perfectly into the Baldur Gate world would be a definite plus as well.

I love to listen(or watch) characters talk, so I easily fall head over heels for any mod that gives the Bioware NPCS to talk some more(I'm sure almost everyone feels this way).  It's nice to get to know the people that strive to help your cause and makes finishing the game that much harder to do(not that I would know... ^_^).  

Sometimes, I'd rather get a weak character that still had a great story and a lovable personality than a war machine.  Besides, there's always a way to win in the end(but not cheating... ;) ).

That's my 3 cents.  ^__^

#68 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

Lots of banter is good, humor is good, but if it isn't done properly, it can just make the character more annoying than anything else. Therefore, I voted for quality interaction. I also prefer "baldurized" text. I guess that would go under "Seems to fit perfectly into the game world".
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#69 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

Good voicing, good portrait, lots of interaction, especially PIDs! I'm a sucker for PIDs. I like humor but as said above, it should be appropriate with the game. Also, mods that contain subliminal messages about how cool I am are a plus.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#70 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

What is most important in choosing an NPC?

One that I believe will fit in with my party.

What is most important in making an NPC?

Making an npc that I enjoy myself and hope others will like him or her as well.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#71 darlarosa

darlarosa

A rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours!

• 384 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Really I like npcs with an interesting story line that fits in with world rather nicely. To be quite honest I'm sick of elves...ELVES EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME!!! I am also tired of the angstyness of a lot of the npcs out there.

I like npcs with an interesting story it can have nothing to do with anything as long as it's interesting. I'm tired of the over all angsty-ness of certain mod members of the realms. I like npcs with problems but some talk to much or get all emo...I have enough emo people in my life already I do not need emo npcs as well -_-

Also I think romance or friendship paths can be a bit fun whether it's the pc or another bioware npc. I like the interaction it should make you feel as if the npcs are real people and you become immersed in the games world. I like it when a mod points out a Bioware npc's flaws I love it really.

Also I'm a bit of perv so *cough*sexisfun*cough*allthetime*cough* :whistling:

"Cool new kits, items, and spells" are very fun and I have yet to meet a mod item I did not like(when it does not fudge up my game)

Thanks for indulging me with this rant ^_^
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#72 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Define "angsty?"

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#73 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

Really I like npcs with an interesting story line that fits in with world rather nicely. To be quite honest I'm sick of elves...ELVES EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME!!! I am also tired of the angstyness of a lot of the npcs out there.

Yes, it would appear that humans are becoming extinct now. I don't mind the odd character once in awhile, but I rarely hear of a mod idea for a normal human (not half dragon, half demon, half angel, half minotaur... you get the idea), a halfling, a gnome, or a dwarf... what happened to these races? I guess they are being bypassed a lot because they are old and the "norm" , but if the rare races are overdone, then they are no longer rare and special, are they?

Heh... and a rant from me, too.... but Darlarosa started it! :)
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#74 darlarosa

darlarosa

• 384 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

Define "angsty?"

Really I think I meant more emo then angsty then when I think about it. But greally many mods seem to have...problems and they kind of whine about it or when they talk about it they whine
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#75 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

Define "angsty?"

Really I think I meant more emo then angsty then when I think about it. But greally many mods seem to have...problems and they kind of whine about it or when they talk about it they whine

More details? What level or kind of personal problems would you consider unobjectionable in a mod NPC, and where do you draw the boundaries on "whining?"

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#76 darlarosa

darlarosa

• 384 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

Define "angsty?"

More details? What level or kind of personal problems would you consider unobjectionable in a mod NPC, and where do you draw the boundaries on "whining?"

It's not so much that they are objectionable but it's that they are overly done

With Whining I think it's when the npc just starts pining over something. Like whenever the subject is brought up they get a bit overly emotional I mean it's like "1,2,3 oh this subjects pissing me off, I'm gonna shut up now" 50% of the time and "<CHARNAME> why me, and he/she sucks, and I don't understand why me why did it happen" 20% of the time. I mean I get it and most people in real life are like that but still I can put it up with it majority of the time but not all the time.

Sorry I'm not being clear >.<

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

#77 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

I like npcs with an interesting story it can have nothing to do with anything as long as it's interesting. I'm tired of the over all angsty-ness of certain mod members of the realms. I like npcs with problems but some talk to much or get all emo...I have enough emo people in my life already I do not need emo npcs as well -_-

Also I think romance or friendship paths can be a bit fun whether it's the pc or another bioware npc. I like the interaction it should make you feel as if the npcs are real people and you become immersed in the games world. I like it when a mod points out a Bioware npc's flaws I love it really.

Also I'm a bit of perv so *cough*sexisfun*cough*allthetime*cough* :whistling:

"Cool new kits, items, and spells" are very fun and I have yet to meet a mod item I did not like(when it does not fudge up my game)

I could not agree with the first few points more. I, too, dislike too much angst, elves, and more angst. We've got enough of both. I do like emotion in mod NPCs, but I like familiar emotions, ones I can identify with: joy, sorrow, sincere anxiety about the wellbeing of others, even rage, if the situation calls for it. Basically, it should feel real, not forced, and not just "I'm so tormented, and I don't even know why! It's got something to do with my mysterious past, I tell you."

As for steamy mod content, well, everybody knows I'm a perv. As long as everybody's having fun, gods bless.

As for the cool new kits, items, spells, etc., I can take them or leave them. I'm not big on gadgets, so I'll look at special weapons or innates through narrowed eyes.

berelinde's mods

#78 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

Heh, seems I'm not alone in my feelings about elves. I'm starting to feel like that bigot in Waukeen's Promenade. Don't get me wrong, there are some good elf mods out there (Kivan, Xan) but, like, can we have some other races please?

#79 Anaximander

Anaximander
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

I voted for sex, partly as a joke but also because I would like to see more mods that feature, or even emphasize, mature content. Sex and sensuality are an important part of the human experience, and there are a lot of deep and often complex emotions associated with them. CRPG's offer a unique media in which to explore these feelings in a safe environment.

everybody knows I'm a perv

There is nothing perverse about sex or enjoying it. I believe you are the author of my favorite encounters in the Romantic Encounters mod. Good work.

I'm starting to feel like that bigot in Waukeen's Promenade. Don't get me wrong, there are some good elf mods out there (Kivan, Xan) but, like, can we have some other races please?

I also agree that elves are overrated. I'd like to see some more ordinary humans. We are supposed to be the most populous race in the realms, right?
You have defeated The Purpose!!!
Experience gained: 50000
Gold gained: 1000
You gain a level!!!

#80 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:32 PM

I could not agree with the first few points more. I, too, dislike too much angst, elves, and more angst. We've got enough of both. I do like emotion in mod NPCs, but I like familiar emotions, ones I can identify with: joy, sorrow, sincere anxiety about the wellbeing of others, even rage, if the situation calls for it. Basically, it should feel real, not forced, and not just "I'm so tormented, and I don't even know why! It's got something to do with my mysterious past, I tell you."

I don't understand the apparent excess appeal of elves either. I wrote Arkalian as a half-elf initially because they can validly be fighter/mage multiclasses and aren't actual elves, but the character's backstory quickly evolved to the point where that was actually a meaningful element of the mod storyline. Can we agree that having a character be an elf or elf-hybrid without a compelling reason other than "pointy-earred pretty-boys are hawt!" is kind of annoying?

As for steamy mod content, well, everybody knows I'm a perv.

:shifty: