Photo

Under-used Ideas in BG-series

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Faye

Faye
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

- Empty wilderness areas between quest locations like there was in BG1. That was one of the biggest disappointments for me in BG2.
- The spelljammer ships should've been more than decorative. ie) I agree with the lack of extraplanar travel.

100% agreed.

Most under-used idea: a non-mage opponent(!!!!!)

I have plans for something like that... >:)

Remember the acid kensai? i liked that ALLOT, and it kind of got me thinking...

How about a pickpocket who basically robbed the PC and his/her party blind.
The thief could would only 'attack' in the city area, it would spawn out of sight of any of the player-party and would hide, then move upto a randomly chosen member of the player-party and pickpocket them, then run off.

If it's revealed before it gets to pick anyones pocket it would have floating text like 'Ack! Discovered!?' and run off.

Note: By 'run off' i mean leave the map, via an exit point.

If the Thief mannages to pick pocket a character it would say something like 'Haha, it's mine now' or 'yoink'... you get the idea. The theif would then run off (all the time being a light-blue circle and unhostile character. If the Player realises what was going on and attacked the theif, the theif would become hostile and fight back, but run if things started to look grim.

Any items stolen by the theif, and in it's possession when it leaves the map would be put in the theif's 'stash' this would be a fairly ordinary container hidden in the bridge district for example which could only be opened with the use a of key, which the theif carries around with him/her.

The thief would spawn everytime the player entered a city-zone with the exception of one, which would be the area where the thief's stash was hidden. The theif wouldn't spawn because he's too busy standing infront of the container that he stashes his gear in, and talking to himself about how smart he/she is. when the theif spots the player-party it would realise that it's stash has been found and would attack the player-party to the death (no more running at the 1st sign of trouble).

So... this thief could be anything from a simple level 10 theif to some kind of bounty-hunter/mage 24/25 beast. Anything you want could trigger the thief to start stealing from the player-party. No real reason to it at all... but if the thief was made into a power-player character it might count as a tactical encounter, imagine fighting kurosian if he stole the celestial fury off you, and you had to track him down to recover it, anyway I'm just repeating myself now - happens when i'm tired... so... er... meh just a random idea.

#22 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:47 PM

I suggested an idea like this quite some time ago in a different forum - I was considering writing one.. BUT it would just be irritating the way you have it described.

Think three different theives... if you catch him you get to kill him.

They would have to rob NPCs as well as the party.

One 'good' (cautious) theif, one 'bad' theif that will steal from everyone in range, and the third I never decided on.

Stealing items is iffy - what if you steal a quest item.

Leaving the map's no good unless you reloacte them to the next map and let the PCs chase them around the city.
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#23 wavingdragon

wavingdragon

kender-born

• 75 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:34 PM

I suggested an idea like this quite some time ago in a different forum - I was considering writing one.. BUT it would just be irritating the way you have it described.

Think three different theives... if you catch him you get to kill him.

They would have to rob NPCs as well as the party.

One 'good' (cautious) theif, one 'bad' theif that will steal from everyone in range, and the third I never decided on.

Stealing items is iffy - what if you steal a quest item.

Leaving the map's no good unless you reloacte them to the next map and let the PCs chase them around the city.

How about making them as city encounters, you may meet some shadow thieves, and some boys and girls (you can't kill the kids of course) on street, and they will pick you, your party members, and practically everyone in the area blind. You can try back-pickpocketing them before they run off. And they are especially abundant in the Docks & Bridge Districts.

Everything you lost to them, you must buy back at Renal's Shadow Thief Headquarter, or one of the Black Market thieves.

And if you join Bodhi's Spellhold route, you get to clear the Shadow Thieves for good and receive an extra reputation point.

#24 Faye

Faye
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:05 AM

It was supposed to be a tactical encounter, and it would aim to steal specificically from the party. The idea being the faster players track down the thief, the more of their items they'll have left to defeat him with. So maybe instead of a real pickpocket it, make it steal specific items, such as the staff of the magi, robe of vecna, ring of gaxx (one at a time ofcourse). Besides it wouldn't be that bad, once players realise the thief is active they could just remember to walk around with detect invisibility or true sight on.

And about the theif, if you really wanted a tough challange, why not make him a bounty-hunter. With atleast 21 levels for the improved maze traps.

Then have the thief run out of sight of the player-party when they're fightning and throw the trap into them, just to be cruel. >:)

Note: The stolen items would be hidden in the thief's stash, so once you've killed him (or if your sneaky, pickpocketed his key) you can recover your items. And if you did mannage to steal the key from him, he should fight to the death, since he needs it.

Anyway, instead of all the running off and stash ideas, you could just make the thief spawn just once, and follow the PC around and pickpocket them. Then when the player realises what's going on and attacks the theif, the thief would just fight to the death - dropping any stolen items when it dies.

#25 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 05:38 PM

Underused Ideas but coming up I saw. A goblin and a kobold NPC

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~