• 1808 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:26 AM

What is cold iron ? It's not another name for mithril, I suppose ? :huh:

#2 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:39 AM

nah, cold iron is much more old-school than that...

the best reference i could come up with on a quick google is:

http://www.realtime....~pixel/bogiron/

executive summary: cold iron is (most likely) wrought, not cast/forged/smelted; is wrought from fresh ore, rather than ore that has been previously melted down and cast; and comes from bog iron, rather than iron oxide.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:37 AM

What's the difference between Mithril and Mithral?

#4 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:59 PM

The word 'mithral' was invented because someone (possibly the Tolkein estate, but possibly not - my memory fails me ;)) decided to make 'mithril' a trademark. I believe the trademark has since been repealed/lapsed, however.

#5 Daggerless

Daggerless

Etron

• 63 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:18 AM

I've always wondered about this, what does cold iron actually do in game?

#6 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:10 AM

it does nothing in BGII. IIRC, there're some wolfweres in TOTSC that can be hit with non-magical cold iron weapons.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#7 death

death
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:47 PM

cold iron from celtic and greek mythologies just refers to any piece of iron, steel doesn't usually count as cold iron...cold iron if stabbed by it was fatale to the elves and faerie folk, thats why the elves used crystal weapons and the rest of the faerie used bronze

#8 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

The Resident Perverted Freak

• 320 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

*nod*

Yea. Thought some text varies as to what is considered Cold Iron.

Mercedes Lackey SERRAted Edge and Bedlam Bard novels regard Steel, Chrome and Iron as Cold Iron in affect of how it messes up magical aim -- which Tannim ended up giving an elf a reverse mohawk due to it! :lol:. It's just how much it affects magic/magical creatures depends on how pure the iron is. And I think this also entails how much silk is needed to wrap it up and muffled the energy of the metal. Tannim's 56 Mustang wrecked quite a bit of havoc in the underhill, since it's mostly steel... not to mention spooking some Nordic elves.

Wheras the Ravenloft Module I've read will generally regard the old pure-iron weapons as cold iron and no other.

Oh, along the same lines as the Sidhes, Cold Iron in a crib supposed to keep Lilth from killing them and faeries from exchanging them for Changelings. Buried under the doorstep and it kept witches out as well -- because the church found it convinent to allied the Sidhe with the Devil.
"This Rod will be your doom!" -- Kilik.
"Do you know how much that turns me on, Ki?"
"Maxi! I'm trying to be serious here!" -- Maxi and Kilik

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. -- Mark Twain

To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.
Oscar Wilde

And alien tears will fill for him Pity's long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn.

Dante Romancable Mod: 'Tis a courtly love of a different sort