Comments on "Cry of the Moon 2"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jolyth

Jolyth

Feather Boa Wielding Dominatrix

• 2016 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:11 AM

So, you know I can't resist putting in my two cents! :P My, my, my, been busy have we? Very intersting start! Can't wait to see more!

Now, for my suggestions, as usual! :thumb:

"Spit it out, Jaheira," Imoen urged, worry slowly draining into her face. "Stop ranting and tell us what happened!"

I don't think worry drains into someone's face. Does it? :unsure: Perhaps "washes over"?

"Serious, serious," Jaheira snapped. "They're at the hospital now!"

Does Amn have hospitals? Or would they be taken to one of the temples?

It whispered at the edges of her awareness, intangible and yet tangible. But the most tangible thing of all was the roiling hate that rolled of it in waves, and Cyreth wanted to run.

Ya like the word "tangible" dontcha? :P Looks like a misspelled word in here. "roiling" Should that be "boiling"?

Okay! I'm done! Ummm....keep writing! :thumb:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOHOO! What a Ride!

Some people are like slinkies. They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Dyslexia of Borg: Your ass will be laminated

Solaufein Flirt Pack

3doctors1.gif

#2 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:48 AM

or even broiled?

i have to say, i'm really looking forward to reading the furthering adventures of Cyreth and company. and i wanna know who the star wolves are!

as for comments on grammar and suchlike and so on and so forth, the bit with the worry draining from her face, i like jolyth's sugestion, but maybe "The worry drained the colour from her face..."

makes personification of the worry; it seems proactive rather than something that's moderately under control.

#3 Jolyth

Jolyth

Feather Boa Wielding Dominatrix

• 2016 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:15 AM

as for comments on grammar and suchlike and so on and so forth, the bit with the worry draining from her face, i like jolyth's sugestion,

Thanks! I'm such a nit picker! :nana:

but maybe "The worry drained the colour from her face..."

Yeah! I like that better!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOHOO! What a Ride!

Some people are like slinkies. They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Dyslexia of Borg: Your ass will be laminated

Solaufein Flirt Pack

3doctors1.gif

#4 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:33 PM

So, you know I can't resist putting in my two cents! :P My, my, my, been busy have we? Very intersting start! Can't wait to see more!

Now, for my suggestions, as usual! :thumb:

"Spit it out, Jaheira," Imoen urged, worry slowly draining into her face. "Stop ranting and tell us what happened!"

I don't think worry drains into someone's face. Does it? :unsure: Perhaps "washes over"?

"Serious, serious," Jaheira snapped. "They're at the hospital now!"

Does Amn have hospitals? Or would they be taken to one of the temples?

It whispered at the edges of her awareness, intangible and yet tangible. But the most tangible thing of all was the roiling hate that rolled of it in waves, and Cyreth wanted to run.

Ya like the word "tangible" dontcha? :P Looks like a misspelled word in here. "roiling" Should that be "boiling"?

Okay! I'm done! Ummm....keep writing! :thumb:

Ah Jolyth... where would I be without you? After all, every writer needs a firm hand to keep them in line when they start taking liberties with their writing... :lol:
Heh, thanks a lot! And rest assured that these changes shall come to pass!! :)

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#5 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:34 PM

or even broiled?

i have to say, i'm really looking forward to reading the furthering adventures of Cyreth and company. and i wanna know who the star wolves are!

as for comments on grammar and suchlike and so on and so forth, the bit with the worry draining from her face, i like jolyth's sugestion, but maybe "The worry drained the colour from her face..."

makes personification of the worry; it seems proactive rather than something that's moderately under control.

Thanks for the comments, Thrain! I guess I'm kinda looking forward to writing... does it scare any of you to realize that I haven't actually figured out the ending yet? :)
Thanks also for the grammar check... argh... I need to work on that... :lol:

#6 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:36 PM

hey, it's all good. if you don't know the ending, it will come as a suprise to us because you won't be leading us subconcious clues in the writing. (i won't copywrite that excuse so you can use it :P)

i really need to stop playing and start writing....

#7 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:55 PM

It's not bad. :thumb:

崇高滑稽
·

#8 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:13 PM

hey, it's all good. if you don't know the ending, it will come as a suprise to us because you won't be leading us subconcious clues in the writing. (i won't copywrite that excuse so you can use it )

i really need to stop playing and start writing....

Heh, thanks. That makes me feel slightly better about unplanned writing! :) :lol:

It's not bad.  :thumb:

Thanks Lightspeed! :) ^_^ I'm glad you all seem to be enjoying the beginning for now!

#9 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:28 AM

woo, always good to read another work from you Shadowhawke. :) Story looks interesting so far and I'll want to see where you take it from here. :) :thumb:

#10 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:52 PM

Heh, thanks Celestine. As I mentioned before... I'm still not sure where this is going to go! So, thanks! :)

#11 Userunfriendly

Userunfriendly

Replendent Beta Tester of Madness!!!

• 2175 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:39 PM

YAY!!!

ok, veldrin...that's the name assumed by the pc in ust natha...may we assume that the real veldrin is ticked off, that the survivors of ust natha all say it was veldrin's treachery that destroyed the city?

and we still have all those questions about the star wolves, and etc to answer..

YAY!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^
They call me....

Darth...

Darth Gizka...

#12 MorningGlory

MorningGlory
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:40 PM

Ahhh.... Little Shadow friend... :D I am actually caught up with Cry of The Moon! I told you I would get there -- eventually! :D

Nice start on your Part Two.. I like your pace and there may be a couple of places where you slowed just a tad, but overall very well done. And not to take exception with Jolyth's suggestion of 'boil' versus 'roil', but hate could 'roil'. Perhaps, it might sound a bit better with a different word other than 'rolled'. Maybe even something like "...But the most tangible thing of all was the roiling hate that churned and slapped in venemous waves. It made Cyreth want to run." (Maybe a touch overdone.. ;) but just an idea for you to play with.. ;) )

Great job and always a pleasure to read your stuff,.. (Maybe I can stay 'caught up' now. ;) ) Good, solid, entertaining stuff!

MG

#13 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:30 PM

YAY!!!

ok, veldrin...that's the name assumed by the pc in ust natha...may we assume that the real veldrin is ticked off, that the survivors of ust natha all say it was veldrin's treachery that destroyed the city?

and we still have all those questions about the star wolves, and etc to answer..

YAY!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Hmm... I can't fault your reasoning, UUF! :lol: But... I'm not sure if that is the case. Great guess, though! ;)

Ahhh.... Little Shadow friend...  I am actually caught up with Cry of The Moon! I told you I would get there -- eventually!

And as always, MG, you're true to your word!

Nice start on your Part Two.. I like your pace and there may be a couple of places where you slowed just a tad, but overall very well done. And not to take exception with Jolyth's suggestion of 'boil' versus 'roil', but hate could 'roil'. Perhaps, it might sound a bit better with a different word other than 'rolled'. Maybe even something like "...But the most tangible thing of all was the roiling hate that churned and slapped in venemous waves. It made Cyreth want to run." (Maybe a touch overdone..  but just an idea for you to play with..  )

Great job and always a pleasure to read your stuff,.. (Maybe I can stay 'caught up' now.  ) Good, solid, entertaining stuff!

Heh, thanks! :)

#14 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:17 AM

Veldrin was the name taken by the PC in Underdark, but Adalon claimed she had killed the party from Chad Nesad (sp?) and that was why you could take the identity so easily.

perhaps Veldrin's house has been empowered by someone who's not too happy with Cyreth. Cyric himself, maybe?

i like your chapter 2, but you seem to be relying on some shock tactics. By that I mean "This happened, then this happened, that was weird, suddenly...etc. etc." i'd love to see you vary the pace with some detailed description, because i certainly think you're capable of it. As Cyreth runs down the stairs, for example;

"As the Bhaalspawn reached the bottom of the staircase, she was halted in her tracks at the sight before her. Old friends always seemed so much more.......alive when you see them outside of memories. The slender figure crowded the doorway as if it was her own, not the entrance to the house of a righteous paladin. Maria stepped back, emotion etched onto her face the Cyreth could not read. It was not fear, for Cyreth had seen that in all its forms. It was more amazment that such a reviled creature could be so bold in the city of coin.

The woman in the doorway shook her head slightly and her hood slipped away, revealed a shock of silver hair, flowing down her back like a river. The simple golden circlet that held it back from her face was well worn, as were her robes, which evidently had seen better days. However, the overgarments revealed a much more ornate, and closer fitting, dress. The provocative slit down the middle exposed just enough breast for her to attract attention to herself.

Her skin, the hue of opals glowed as if it was in moonlight. Clearly her beauty was as powerful as it was exotic. However, the mace hanging at her side hinted at the dark side that Cyreth knew extremely well.

"Viconia!"

"Cyreth!" the drow cried with some relief
"

I really enjoy the way you write, but i'm a detail hound, so apologies if it sounds like i'm criticising.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Is that an invitation my lady?” Dirk raised his eyebrow roguishly.

“It certainly is, my master bard,” Cyreth grinned back just as roguishly.

i like the dialogue here, but i really don't like the repeated use of rogueishly. it's great in the first instance, but i can't help feeling a synonym to describe Cyreth's reaction rather than the repetition would be better. Maybe "Cyreth's grin reflecting his expression" or "Cyreth grinned back, just as playfully"

With the aid of MS Word, i actually found some synonyms :)
- mischievously
- naughtily
- impishly

#15 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:22 AM

Veldrin was the name taken by the PC in Underdark, but Adalon claimed she had killed the party from Chad Nesad (sp?) and that was why you could take the identity so easily.

perhaps Veldrin's house has been empowered by someone who's not too happy with Cyreth. Cyric himself, maybe?

Heheh... I might as well give away some of the story here. *spoiler*. But the Veldrin here isn't actually the Veldrin Adalon killed... :)

And... wow! I love your descriptive work... and yes, I stand guilty. I am using too many shock tactics... just wanted to draw you guys in, I guess. [/rueful smile] I love your examples... and rest assured that whatever I write will be based on them! Thankyou so much for your input... you and everyone! ^_^

#16 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:27 AM

well shucks :^^:

if only i could be arsed to actually figure out a story with which to apply my talent.

anywhoo, keep up the good work

#17 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:19 PM

the guy's been dead for a long time, all he has left are two daughters (and an errant son, but he aint present here), why shouldn't he try and be be protective?

#18 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:08 AM

well shucks :^^:

if only i could be arsed to actually figure out a story with which to apply my talent.

anywhoo, keep up the good work

Hey... you'll get there one day! Just don't give up and don't reckon your story's crap if you think one up! I look forward to that day... ^_^

How is it that Bhaal is so charming and helpful? 

Heheh... he's not quite so charming and helpful, but I've portrayed him as the simple person he was before he was elevated to God of Murder. I always thought that Bhaal became truly evil because of the power he suddenly had, and he was actually quite a wise guy as was shown by him choosing Murder as his portfolio, effectively controlling both his pals. So I'm showing the *slightly* uncorrupted Bhaal.

the guy's been dead for a long time, all he has left are two daughters (and an errant son, but he aint present here), why shouldn't he try and be be protective?

My thoughts exactly. ^_^

Edited by Shadowhawke, 19 August 2004 - 02:09 AM.

#19 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:56 AM

Bhaal always was evil. You can read this in one of the books purchaseable in BG1.

After all, he murdered a god to gain power, and after that he challanged Jergal (god of the dead) for his throne. He also nearly slaughtered his two comrades in the act. He didn't choose to become to god of murder and killing for nothing. It's what best describes his personality.

崇高滑稽
·

#20 Thrain

Thrain
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:58 AM

it's what he was best at, being an assassin and all

doesn't always mean that he's evil. and IIRC, they play a game of bones to decide who gets the throne of death