Jump to content


Photo

Animal Companions

Ranger Druid Animal Companion Pet Pets Familiar Familiars True Animal Companions

  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 The Imp

The Imp

    Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

  • Member
  • 5155 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

Minsc don't get find animal companion ability? Why? Wanna this work for him too.
He already has one, a giant miniature space one. ... And there's mods that utilize it.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.


#42 Kiwi042

Kiwi042
  • Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

Mod name is Baldurdash with component Boo - Familiar of Minsc. I uninstalled it due to imbalance (Boo is too strong for hamster of that size, he regenerates full HP, when picked up, he can be used multiple times per day).


Edited by Kiwi042, 23 March 2017 - 11:25 AM.


#43 Kiwi042

Kiwi042
  • Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Parsing warning durning installation of Animal companions 1.5 on BG2 GOG: action list near line 106, column 27 of AnimalCompanions/files3/UBRPET.d] PARSE WARNING at line 106 column 1-14
Near Text: )
    Too many arguments to [DestroySelf]. Recovering

 

Attached Files



#44 Roxanne

Roxanne

    Modder

  • Member
  • 3564 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Parsing warning durning installation of Animal companions 1.5 on BG2 GOG: action list near line 106, column 27 of AnimalCompanions/files3/UBRPET.d] PARSE WARNING at line 106 column 1-14
Near Text: )
    Too many arguments to [DestroySelf]. Recovering

 

See here http://www.shsforums...e-2#entry593647


The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

 


#45 -jedi_chris13-

-jedi_chris13-
  • Guest

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

So are there specific zones that it is more likely to work in or am i just having bad luck.  everything seems to work fine, it shows up on my task bar, i click it, it goes through the dialog, but then i only get the choice of:  "you decide not to look for an animal companion right now".  im a level 3 human archer, should i just keep trying or did i possibly mess up on the install?  or, can the archer kit not get an animal companion?



#46 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

So are there specific zones that it is more likely to work in or am i just having bad luck.  everything seems to work fine, it shows up on my task bar, i click it, it goes through the dialog, but then i only get the choice of:  "you decide not to look for an animal companion right now".  im a level 3 human archer, should i just keep trying or did i possibly mess up on the install?  or, can the archer kit not get an animal companion?

 

Hm, level 3 should be enough to have success getting a companion and if you have the ability then there are no further checks for kits/classes so you're good.

Which companions are offered depends on the zone flags but there should rarely be a zone that has no companions at all. You can't get a companion before level 3 however, so maybe you were just unlucky when you tried with level 3? Could you give it another try in any normal zone (either a wilderness area or a city or a dungeon)?



#47 -jedi_chris13-

-jedi_chris13-
  • Guest

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

i've only had one zone give me an option for a companion so far and it was for a dog, that's it.  ive roamed to every zone i have available and i always get the same message "you decide not to look for an animal companion at this time" or something like that.  im level 4 now.  i think Beregost is the only place ive had the dog be available.  I'm still trying other zones so, i dunno.  



#48 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

@Ulb does Animal Companions work with joinable NPC characters? Let's say I would like to install Kivan and Deheriana mod and our somber ranger would really appreciate a furry companion. Can I pick up one for him or does this not work? If not, is it a chance to add optional component for letting NPC ranger and druid characters to pick his companion?



#49 -Brokenkatana-

-Brokenkatana-
  • Guest

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

It only works if the main character is a Ranger or Druid.



#50 Austin

Austin
  • Modder
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:10 AM

Hello! yota13 translated this mod into Russian. Please add a translation to the mod!

Attached Files



#51 WildMax

WildMax
  • Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2026 - 12:01 PM

@Ulb Hello!

I've always wanted to play through the series with an animal companion. Unfortunately, I seem to have run into a bug. I don't know if anyone will be able to help after all these years, but it's worth a try.

Here's what's happening:

I'm playing a Beastmaster, and when I reached level 3 in Beregost, I finally unlocked the long-awaited Find Companion ability. For some reason, the tooltip for the button displays the Lethal Poison description instead.

When I click the ability, a dialogue window opens with a couple of paragraphs about how the devil Thel'blax was the scourge of the armies of the Abyss, and so on. At the end, it suddenly describes the stats of some armor.

When I click Continue, I'm given two dialogue options. The first is literally the description of a pair of bracers for unarmed combat, and the second is Crimson Dawn +2.

If I choose Crimson Dawn +2, nothing happens. If I choose the first option, only in Beregost a dog companion is summoned, but it has several lines of strange text instead of a name. In every other area, I don't even get the option to summon the dog or any other companion.

I installed everything exactly according to the README, and I'm using the Steam version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Is it possible that one of the recent Steam updates broke compatibility with the mod?

I'd really love to play through the game with a pet companion, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction or explain what might be causing this issue.

 

UPD: Silly me. Some smart people pointed out that I needed the DLCMerger. The problem is solved now.


Edited by WildMax, 21 September 2026 - 01:07 PM.






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ranger, Druid, Animal, Companion, Pet, Pets, Familiar, Familiars, True, Animal Companions