Photo

Multiplayer Server for BG and BG2?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Game Server for BG1 and BG2 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you have any interest in a server for multiplayer BG and BG2?

1. Yes (30 votes [65.22%])

Percentage of vote: 65.22%

2. No (10 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

3. Only BG1 (1 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

4. Only BG2 (5 votes [10.87%])

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

I was curious to see how much interest there is in playing these games multi-player. I realize that with all the mods out there, having a compatible version of the game will be difficult, but it would be possible to work it out. For instance, I have two versions of the game installed -- modded and unmodded.

The reason I'm asking is that I can get the two games added to a gaming server if there is enough interest. As it is, there's just GameSpy but I don't think too many people like the interface of it (not from my experience anyway).

Please vote. If there's enough positive feedback, I'll go through with the idea and get it put on the server.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I could probably get Icewind Dale I and II on the server also (if they have multiplayer options).

Edited by Sir_Carnifex, 09 May 2008 - 06:13 PM.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#2 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

My prob is that I very rarely play, so I said no, but if enough people were there to say... playtest the new Big World ... :whistling:
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#3 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

Maybe I should have added a "maybe" option to the poll. :D Too late now as I can't change it.

Also, I don't have Icewind Dale I or II, but I'm assuming that they can be played multi. Is this correct?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#4 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

Too bad there isn't a poll option for "I'd do it if I had time." I love playing BG2 in multiplayer, or BG1 vanilla (because there isn't a lot of NPC interaction, anyway), but I just don't have the time for much playing anymore, and what time I do spend playing, I spend playtesting my own mods.

I do wish there was a server that would allow intermittent access like NWN, a persistent world for BG2. That way, I could drop in and play for a couple hours when I felt like it.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#5 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

I don't have the bandwidth. It's capped at 3GB per month in South Africa for accounts like mine. That goes pretty quickly on the commercial work I do.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#6 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

Actually, I once tried this just by luck and found by random two other players. They had not installed mods, but as I hosted it the mods were there... they were surprised... it seems you need not have compatible installs.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#7 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

Too bad there isn't a poll option for "I'd do it if I had time." I love playing BG2 in multiplayer, or BG1 vanilla (because there isn't a lot of NPC interaction, anyway), but I just don't have the time for much playing anymore, and what time I do spend playing, I spend playtesting my own mods.

You'll notice I didn't word the poll as "would you play BG online?" but rather, "do you have any interest..." Therefore, you can answer yes even if you don't have time to play. :D

#8 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

I voted yes, although it's unlikely that I will ever play multiplayer with anybody else than my husband. However I'd also like to point out that (as shameless self promotion), if you decide to play MP game with a party with both PCs and NPCs (and want to have romanceable NPCs), you might want to try out Amber. She can have a romance with another PC (player2).
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#9 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

I would be interested, but I guess I'm concerned by trivial issues such as "will I have time?" and "how are we going to manage to find a time slot suitable to everyone when we're coming from different areas of the globe?".
:D
Seriously though, I've never done it (even though BG2 was originally a gift to me from a buddy who said "hey, we can mulitplay this together", we never got around to it), and I'm up for trying it. Just have to find enough hours in the day! :lol:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#10 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

If I knew how to get on to the multiplayer server, Hells yeah!
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#11 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

Rest assured, if BG1/BG2 get enough votes, I'll make a post telling everybody how to get on the server.

By the way, no one answered my question about IWD. Does this mean I was correct in my assumption?

#12 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

By the way, no one answered my question about IWD. Does this mean I was correct in my assumption?

Indeed, the IWD issue has not been addressed yet, let me correct that.
I'm not sure I would play IWD as MP as easily as BG2, because BG2 has so much more, namely banters and romances, but then again, I guess IWD is the *perfect* multiplayer game, so then again, I guess I'd be up for it anyways!
(I'm always up for multiplayer, I look forward to this annual LAN party we have with our friends for about, say... 11 months, 3 weeks, and 6 days :lol: )

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#13 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

We could always set up a Hamachi server...

Actually, a huge torrent with a pre-defined set of mods combined with a Hamachi server would be pretty cool!

Skype + BG2 + Hamachi = ... Fun?

Edited by Michael, 11 May 2008 - 06:52 PM.

This is the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

What is IEMI?

Please provide feedback on IEMI.

#14 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

I probably wouldn't go for it. Certainly wouldn't if it was 6 human players.

I played Multi with my brother. After we decided who was to be Player 1(I ended up with it, as I had the most experience) there were the issues of pausing. I'd pause to work the casters, and he'd unpause because his fighters were trying to attack. I'd talk with someone, and he wouldn't want to wait to see the dialog, or vice versa. Just stuff like that. With a six person thing, and not able to directly communicate... Sounds difficult.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#15 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

I probably wouldn't go for it. Certainly wouldn't if it was 6 human players.

My guess is most people (me at least ^_^) would play with no more than three .

I played Multi with my brother. After we decided who was to be Player 1(I ended up with it, as I had the most experience) there were the issues of pausing. I'd pause to work the casters, and he'd unpause because his fighters were trying to attack. I'd talk with someone, and he wouldn't want to wait to see the dialog, or vice versa. Just stuff like that. With a six person thing, and not able to directly communicate... Sounds difficult.

If I remember correctly, the host does have the option to remove pausing rights from those who join. :D As for coordinating, you could use TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, or Skype.

#16 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

Rest assured, if BG1/BG2 get enough votes, I'll make a post telling everybody how to get on the server.

Yeah IWD can multi, and BTW if you made an IWD multi server, I would SO be there!
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#17 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

I'd be more likely to go IWD than BG. Don't have IWD2 though so just the first one.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#18 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:22 PM

I would be most certainly be up for a game of BG1 and BG2!

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#19 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

I would be most certainly be up for a game of BG1 and BG2!

Then keep the yes votes coming so there will be enough positive support to get this going. Come on people, 300 + views here (admittedly 50 of them are probably mine :whistling: ) and only 21 votes?

And, if someone can provide me with a GUID number for IceWind Dale I and II, plus the execute files (under DXDIAG network), I'll see if a server for those games can be set up, too. Just PM me the information.

#20 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

Can only vote once :(

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85