Shields on avatars different from item bams

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

First off, I was, still am and always will be a fan of your avatar fixes and paperdolls :Bow:

They were (for me atleast) the most profound and beautiful change in the game in my last installation using the BWP6, coming a very close second to the fact that you could play BGI in BGII now :P

But in my latest BWP8 installation, I have a minor problem/glitch/bug with the shields in the avatars and paperdolls. The inventory bams for all the shields got changed alright

1. Small Shields -> Rounded
2. Medium -> Upper square, lower taper
3. Large -> Rectangular

but the paperdolls and avatar bams didn't get changed and remain the same. More specifically, ...

1. Medium Shield and +1 have the vanilla BGII rough and curvy triangular with 2 spikes paperdoll and avatar bam
2. Large Shield and +1 have the vanilla BGII rough oval with 2 "wing-like things" on top in the avatar ... Paperdoll's rectangular though

I also noticed that only vanilla shields seem to be affected, I got a Knight's Shield +1 (Medium Shield) and it had the BGI paperdoll AND avatar bam. And bucklers and small look like BGI too (vanilla ones too) :wacko:

This is my playthrough thread with my WeiDU.log and a changelog of the 3 shields here. Feel free to ask for any more changelogs/DEBUGs/attachments as you may need :cheers:

Thanks,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#2 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:11 AM

As the 1PPv2 component assigns icons and colours based on the vanilla items, it shouldn't be installed on top of IR's main component. I believe IR includes some of 1PPv2's changes to items along with its custom adjustments, but you'd have to check with Demi for details.

If you experience any similar inconsistencies using only IR, please let Demi and I know.

#3 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

So, if I can understand right (which I mostly don't :P) ItemRev includes 1pp's shield bams and patches them into the game when it gets installed (almost at the beginning) ... Then when 1pp itself gets installed, it patches the ItemRev-modified-shields to revert back to BGII vanilla bams???

But, shouldn't 1pp repatching the files have no effect on their already-1ppified (:P) bams?? And this post mentions that there should be no install order problems with the new patcher version of 1pp (albeit it doesn't mention shields but I take it they were updated to "patch" as well :D)

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#4 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Some IR shields have different animations (icons + paperdolls/avatars) than in vanilla, since using the beta 1PP shield animations allows for a greater selection of shield shapes. So, if a mod assigns one of these shields a new icon while expecting it to be as it is in the vanilla game, the icon may end up not matching the paperdoll/avatar. Short version: 1PP doesn't know what IR is doing.

I'll see if I can get Demi in here to say exactly which item patches from 1PPv2 are/aren't included in IR to see if the components could ever be conceptually compatible.

#5 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

So, if I can understand right (which I mostly don't :P) ItemRev includes 1pp's shield bams and patches them into the game when it gets installed (almost at the beginning) ... Then when 1pp itself gets installed, it patches the ItemRev-modified-shields to revert back to BGII vanilla bams???

Yep, something like that.

But, shouldn't 1pp repatching the files have no effect on their already-1ppified (:P) bams??

No because it patches the items without being able to know what IR does to each item. For example Reflection Shield is not a small shield anymore, it's a buckler, and it not only uses 1PP new animation and bam, but also uses a different inventory icon, and a different color palette.

If you ask me overwriting IR changes would actually be better than patching it, because at least the end result would be what Erephine wanted instead of a mess.

I'd say everything concerning animation, bams, icons, and so on regarding shields should be better handled within IR and IR alone, but I'll discuss it with Mike.

#6 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:12 AM

I'd say everything concerning animation, bams, icons, and so on regarding shields should be better handled within IR and IR alone, but I'll discuss it with Mike.

I'd probably agree with that as well :cheers: .. but, since IR gets installed pretty early in the BWP, won't mod items and shields AFTER IR remain unaffected?? And if 1PP were to be installed after IR anyway, (to change the megamod items) won't the same problem recur?? :unsure:

Imho, a solution could be to let 1PP check for IR and promptly skip the already-1ppified-through-IR (try saying that :lol:) items and only patch those that aren't patched by IR's 1PP components. Btw, is IR the only mod that uses these great bams?? 1PP could check for all the mods that use its components and adjust itself ... (probably a lotta work though :crying:)

Btw, why do I get the feeling that this is an isolated case? Hasn't anybody noticed this before or did everyone think this was a "feature"?? :devil:

Cheers,
Lol

#7 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

Hmm, I thought I'd also mention the "other" paperdoll quirk I noticed ... It seems the paperdolls for helmets for Humans don't match the paperdolls for Half-Elves and Halflings (yet to encounter an NPC from another race :P)

Now, for some screenshots :cheers:

The Helmet I took is the "War Helm" (MAHELM01.itm) from DarkHorizons ... Didn't find any other curvy helms :P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Pic 0000 -> Shows Minsc wearing the helm ... Nothing unusual ... unless you see what happens to the others ;)

Pic 0001 -> Here we have Khalid with the same helm, notice the curvy helm paperdoll :D And for completeness sake, I included the shield bam to show how mod Medium shields are unaffected by the paperdoll change

Pic 0002 -> Here's Montaron with the same helm, same curvy paperdoll (makes me wonder why humans don't have the curviness :P) ... And here's his Large Shield +1 (vanilla item) ... Nothing unusual until ...
Posted Image
Pic 0003 -> Here's Monty's avatar, same items as Pic 0003. Look at the shield and helm ... The shield is vanilla BGII's Large shield bam while the helm looks like Minsc's paperdoll helm :D (so i guess humans had the right paperdoll after all ;))

Other helms tried also give similar results ... The paperdolls and avatars match for humans but go pretttty off for Monty and Khalid <_<

EDIT: Now that I've understood how to directly post images (courtesy Jarno :cheers:) Showing another helm (the one carried by Doom Guards)Posted Image

Order same as above: Minsc, Khalid (check out the shield bam and paperdoll) and Monty

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now, showing avatars ... Khalid. Notice that the helm looks like Minsc's paperdoll ... and the shield matches the paperdoll but not the item bam.
Posted Image

and Khalid wielding the yellow Medium Shield from above (from Aurora's Mod)

Posted Image

In conclusion everything can be summarized as:
  • Shields
    • Medium Shields - Item bams don't match paperdolls and avatars
    • Large Shields - Item bams and paperdolls don't match avatars
  • Helms
    • Paperdolls match item bams for Half-Elves and Halflings, but don't match avatars
    • Paperdolls match avatars for Humans, but not the item bams
Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 26 September 2009 - 06:27 AM.

#8 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:12 PM

Same issue, it's a different mod using work-in-progress content I posted ages ago :)

The large shields always display like they do in the original game, because I haven't made new content for them.

崇高滑稽
·

#9 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:14 AM

Same issue, it's a different mod using work-in-progress content I posted ages ago :)

Would that be ItemRev or DarkHorizons?? Is there any way to check which mods "include" 1PP content??

The large shields always display like they do in the original game, because I haven't made new content for them.

I could've sworn I saw rectangular shield avatars in my BWP6 install :P Maybe i was mesmerized by all the new content :doh:

Btw: lookie lookie :P seems like I'm not the only one :D

I also have a discussion going on in the IR forums btw :cheers:

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 07 October 2009 - 08:24 AM.