portraits

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#161 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

I used to dislike using too realistic portraits ingame, but when I tried it, I saw that it doesn't really show, anyway. The small portraits are too tiny to show too many details, so no big deal. And I like seeing some fresh faces, not just the old ones.

That's my sole hope. And since it's a new character, I guess it makes it even easier to attach a fresh face - I'll just wait and see how it looks in the game. As long as she isn't somebody famous(by the way, is she? "Hey, I just met Keera Knightley in a tavern in Trademeet and scored!" might be a little out of line...), it may still be all right.

I am not sure something of the kind might work for an existing and established character, however.

#162 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

When I said "my collection", I meant photographs found online, and unfortunately the quality of the pics is better with celebrities. My personal favorite sources for portraits are "unknown supermodels" (not counting favorite celebs like Van Damm, Rhys Meyers or Steve Nash (coming soon)), but it usually takes a week or so to find decent quality. As for how it will look in the game - usually ok, but if it doesn't , I just edit it again.
Thanks for a nice talk, everybody!

#163 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

http://www.usatoday....tractions_x.htm

The temptation of putting this right into the game is huge :)

#164 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

As for how it will look in the game - usually ok, but if it doesn't , I just edit it again.

I just checked how Keira and Vildamyr look in the game - wow, especially Vildamyr looks great! :wub:

(Ignore my stats, please. :) )

Edited by EvaineDian, 13 June 2007 - 01:30 PM.

#165 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

Oooooh wow, what a picture! I saved it right away to my own reference collection, but I think I would only ruin it by painting over it. :D

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#166 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

..... by painting over it.

See, I told you so :D

These portraits stunned me five or so years ego (how close they were to the game ones)
Don't remember the original artist's name, but he had his own website.

http://www.kirith.co...=fighter&page=3

Edited by HERD, 13 June 2007 - 03:21 PM.

#167 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

The Portrait Portal?
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#168 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

Yep, that's it, thanks

#169 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:24 AM

Never played Cernd, but the notion of somebody (EvaineDian) considering him "hot" eventually gave me some inspiration :wub: . My try failed comparing to Ilmatar's (in character and quality).

Super Sexy / Normal / Slightly Demented

CerndsF.jpg

Edited by HERD, 04 July 2007 - 03:33 AM.

#170 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:13 AM

That guys looks so much like Domi's Kivan portrait!

also

HERD - you rock! :)
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#171 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

The thing that gets me fired up about all of this stuff is that it is just really great to see what other people do with the same characterization > visualization. I like consistency, and one dream I do have is to one day play an EasyTutu>ToB run with a completely consistent set of portraits - I at one time had hopes that Plasmocat would have the time for it, but it would be a fierce undertaking (the BG1 NPC Project portraits alone are quite a few zillion hours of work).

I would not suggest anyone sane ever attempt such a sweeping mod, but then again, most of us are just a little wild, so someday I would love to be able to install a huge mod or set of mods
"Plasmocat's Saga Portraits"
"HERD's Saga Portraits"
"Ilmatar's Saga Portraits"
"Rabain's Saga Portraits"
etc.
where all ingame portraits and NPC portraits are made by the same artist in matching style.

THEN things could be really interesting, visually, but also consistent!

Heck, you artists build 'em, I'll code em... (and correctly, for once :) ). (hey, when I dream, I dream big.)

#172 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

I think Radiohead said it best:

Nice Dream!

Edited by Rabain, 04 July 2007 - 10:17 AM.

#173 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

A well-done Xan portrait in BG2 style would be nice.

#174 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

Sorry about the hijack HERD!...split this out if you want to.

I had a go at an alternate Xan.

#175 Xav

Xav
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:37 AM

i've got to join the hijacking :) i suspect Kulyok will know who the "model" is! :D

http://www.shsforums...p...st&p=323314

#176 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

*formal moderator warning cough* Ahem. *and glare.*

....anyway! HERD - those cernd portraits are pretty nice! I have to say that the middle one is my favourite, it fits in the best. Somehow the expression isn't quite Cernd, though. He's supposed to be stern. Cernd the Stern!

@cmorgan - I'm making a whole set of portraits with a (hopefully) matching style! I might also make portraits for the other characters, like Irenicus, Bodhi and the other Bhaalspawn in ToB. But first the joinables.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#177 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:20 AM

All of these portraits were inspired by Bosch and Botticelli, so here you go.
I can not attempt picturing / doing Xan, - too much Magic involved
May be May be May be (Janis Joplin)

XOXO

#178 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:36 AM

Xan for Kulyok
XANforKulyok.jpg

#179 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:18 AM

Thank you, that's really nice of you. :) (You know, if not for the hair colour, the young Snape might've looked like this... or not.)

#180 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:22 AM

Just for your collection.
Do you have one?
(Beeing impolite and nosy)

Edited by HERD, 17 July 2007 - 03:27 AM.