182 replies to this topic

#141 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:17 AM

There are a couple of sketches...

Did you ever finish these pictures? I am wondering how they turned out.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#142 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

@leahnkain
I've been making areas mostly, but now my mod is almost done - testing and making last fixes, will go back to portraits later.

#143 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

@leahnkain
I've been making areas mostly, but now my mod is almost done - testing and making last fixes, will go back to portraits later.

Excellent news.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#144 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

This might of been reported before, but I can't actually see any of the pictures in this thread's first page

Tried to fix.

#145 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:58 PM

Posted ImageIt's funny seeing Sawyer in Paladin armor.

Posted Image I really like this one. Was this made for someone of just random changings? (I must admit though the first time I saw him I thought he was female)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#146 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

Was this made for someone of just random changings?

Check this out
http://ca.spellholds...=npc&s=vildamyr

#147 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

:doh:

Okay. Oh well. I think I've found something else I could use.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#148 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

A girl for cmorgan
RedHead1.jpg RedHead2.jpg

Attached Images

• RedHead3.jpg

#149 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:51 AM

Herd, the girl for cmorgan excellent! I can't wait to see the art you use in your Mod.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#150 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:56 AM

HERD, I owe you code help or proofreading assistance - thank you! This is excellent.

I really appreciate it!

#151 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:56 AM

@ leahnkain
The wait is almost over!!!

Edited by HERD, 11 June 2007 - 02:58 AM.

#152 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

I am eagerly waiting to try your Mod. I hope you can release it soon.

#153 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

A girl for cmorgan

The actress in question is pretty indeed. However, the picture below is just what it is - from the first inexperienced glance of a player(that is, me), it is a cut-and-paste photograph. If you compare her skin tones to BG2 Portraits, the difference is striking.

#154 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:08 AM

I wouldn't say it looks like cut-and-paste. In my opinion HERD is extremely good fitting the pieces together and getting the color scheme and the shadow/light values right in each of his portraits. It is true, however, that HERD's style is photographic and it differs from the original Baldur's Gate portraits, but I have never seen any custom portraits that would fit perfectly in, and to me it isn't that a big deal. I rather like it if the artist's own style comes through in the portraits.

The portrait made for cmorgan is indeed beautiful and very stylish. :)

Edited by Ilmatar, 13 June 2007 - 02:08 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#155 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:45 AM

It is true, however, that HERD's style is photographic and it differs from the original Baldur's Gate portraits, but I have never seen any custom portraits that would fit perfectly in, and to me it isn't that a big deal.

I concur that such examples are rare - Keto, perhaps, might be one. Mods which blend with the game's original content are rare, as well - again, Keto might be one. However, this is not the reason to dismiss the possibility of reaching original Baldur's Gate content's quality - or, indeed, surpassing it, while blending well with the original game content.

I rather like it if the artist's own style comes through in the portraits.

As long as it is not a part of a mod, yes, it is quite enjoyable to me, as well.

#156 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

I absolutely agree, my portraits all are ?cut-and-paste?, I can?t draw what so ever, especially shadows on faces. But when I see a request on SolEkSa that hangs without an answer for some time and if I have a similar picture in my ?collection?, I try to do something quickly till a better artist shows up (usually portraits that I make end up modified by professionals).
The longest time I ever spent on the portraits was for the art competition on FW, so I assume that this is the best I will ever be in drawing over photographs. :crying:

http://www.shsforums...t=0#entry209304

#157 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

I wouldn't say it looks like cut-and-paste. In my opinion HERD is extremely good fitting the pieces together and getting the color scheme and the shadow/light values right in each of his portraits. It is true, however, that HERD's style is photographic and it differs from the original Baldur's Gate portraits, but I have never seen any custom portraits that would fit perfectly in, and to me it isn't that a big deal. I rather like it if the artist's own style comes through in the portraits.

The portrait made for cmorgan is indeed beautiful and very stylish. :)

When CA first was started Herd was the first artist I contacted because I loved his stlye. His picture for Kivan is amazing, look at his avatar. I would have loved to use it for CA. Plasmocat is another great artist who created well over half of CA's pictures. She often surpases the quality of BG art.
Althon, Rilithar and Fala'stra are excellent examples of her work.

I am surprised that you have never seen any portraits that would fit in... all of CA's portraits are original art done by various artists. Most would fit in nicely with BG. Plasmocat and Herd are two of the best artist I have seen on these forums. I am so grateful they could help out by creating pictures for CA's NPC's. Here is a link: http://ca.spellholdstudios.net/?p=npc

BTW It is a shame Sol Ek Sa seems dead. Many people go there for help and recieve only unanswered replies. Maybe a good idea for a portrait contest would be to help out one of the posts in Sol Ek Sa get a picture.

Edited by leahnkain, 13 June 2007 - 08:33 AM.

#158 Dirt_Squirrel

Dirt_Squirrel
  • 552 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Well, for what it's worth, I thought I would chime in with my two cents. :D
To date, I have seen many different artistic works from different people here. I would have to say that when it comes to portraits, my personal favorites are HERD and Ilmatar.
When it comes to areas, my personal favorite is Cuv, followed by Minotaur in Maze.
Good job to everyone and thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for sharing your fantastic skills with all of us!

*Hugs*
DS
Knowledge is Power, and power corrupts, so study hard and be Evil!

I'm so good that, if I didn't already exist, someone would invent me!

#159 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

As Ilmatar said, it is by no means easy to create a good-looking picture from parts of photos. You have to find the proper angles, lightings, colours, shadows etc. to make a picture look genuine. Comparing the pictures you posted here in 2004 and the ones you posted now, I think you made a lot of progress since then. I don't know when you made them, though; since you said you have a collection, these might be older as well, but I see a big improvement from the first pics to the latest ones. Especially the last portraits look good and genuine to me (the girl). Vildamyr is my favourite, he's very feminine, but hot. :)

As for the portraits being too realistic to fit into the game, I don't think so. I used to dislike using too realistic portraits ingame, but when I tried it, I saw that it doesn't really show, anyway. The small portraits are too tiny to show too many details, so no big deal. And I like seeing some fresh faces, not just the old ones. :)

As for Keto: To be honest, I dislike her portrait. It's just wrong on so many levels and I can't see why this would fit into the game more seemlessly than any photo.

Edited by EvaineDian, 13 June 2007 - 11:10 AM.

#160 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

As for Keto: To be honest, I dislike her portrait. It's just wrong on so many levels and I can't see why this would fit into the game more seemlessly than any photo.

My thoughts exactly. The portrait itself is rather plain, meaning that it isn't eye catching or interesting, and the technique used is not as refined and skillful than in the original portraits.

BTW It is a shame Sol Ek Sa seems dead. Many people go there for help and recieve only unanswered replies. Maybe a good idea for a portrait contest would be to help out one of the posts in Sol Ek Sa get a picture.

Now that's one kick ass idea. I have to remember that. :D

And hay peeps, just a friendly nudge. This is HERD's portrait topic. Let's talk about them rather than Keto... :P

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.