Killing the Lich - HOLY CRAP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 -Sal-

-Sal-

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:31 AM

*****Spoilers******

Alright. I've played through Baldur's Gate before, obviously.
Now - I'm on the part where Edwin and co. have to take care of the lich
hunting him. I've hit the quest before I've even left to go to Brynlaw (actually
- I couldn't leave, Edwin wouldn't let me until his 'business' was finished, even
though we hadn't actually encountered his mentor yet. Anyways...

The fight against the lich is INSANE for a party of this level. His helpers had a full
*PAGE* of buff-ups each, and I just get totally wasted. Heck - compared to
relative power levels, the final ascension fight is easier. I mean good lord!
I even tried a few cheap tricks and got off a few Death fogs off before
Edwin's 'taunt' conversation started - and it didn't even scratch them.
How the HECK is anyone of this level supposed to touch these guys?

#2 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:02 AM

*****Spoilers******

hunting him. I've hit the quest before I've even left to go to Brynlaw (actually
- I couldn't leave, Edwin wouldn't let me until his 'business' was finished, even
though we hadn't  actually encountered his mentor yet. Anyways...

The fight against the lich is INSANE for a party of this level. His helpers had a full

View Post

Hmm... when I first coded it there were complains that it is waay too easy. I suggest getting 'Protection from Undead' Scroll or two , cast death protection spells and concentrate on killing one of the reddies first... then you will have help. Don't go after lich until You-know-who appears!

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#3 rikitikitavi

rikitikitavi
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:03 PM

Hmm... when I first coded it there were complains that it is waay too easy. I suggest getting 'Protection from Undead' Scroll or two , cast death protection spells and concentrate on killing one of the reddies first... then you will have help. Don't go after lich until You-know-who appears!

View Post

*blink*

I don't remember ANY complaints that it was too easy on the beta board. In fact, I said it was waaaaaaay too hard and that the only reason I survived was because I had a wild mage who 1) could call not one but two devas and 2) ran away from hand-to-hand combat, and therefore was in the back somewhat protected from area spells. The toned-down version was not as difficult thanks to the lack of level-draining knights, but it was still pretty tough. The old fight was Weimer-mod hard; the toned-down version might still be tough for anyone not used to Weimer.

Protection from magic helps, too, although that also means you can't be healed magically.

#4 Laufey

Laufey
  • Modder
  • 1245 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:25 AM

*****Spoilers******

though we hadn't  actually encountered his mentor yet. Anyways...

View Post

Ouch...sorry you found it frustrating. It's hard to find a level of difficulty that will satisfy everybody. Mirror Image is good as protection for Edwin and other mages against Horrid Wilting, Protection from Magic is another workable strategy. Focus all your attacks not on the lich, but on one of his fellow mages...recall the hint you got about how the lich is initially unkillable? Once you have taken some of his help down, you should receive some help of your own...

Additional: I'll put up a poll about this. If a lot of people think this fight is way too hard, we may have to scale it down further, so I'll appreciate input from everybody who has played through it.

#5 Alandrea

Alandrea

Sweet and Innocent

• 262 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

... Scaling it down further sounds good :(

Very good
~*kitty*~

You must gather your pants before venturing forth

The lunatics are running this asylum.

#6 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:17 AM

I'm invincible so I just ctrl-y'ed the lich to keep it from casting spells. doing that I managed to kill everyone else then the lich
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#7 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:18 AM

Also ctrl-r helps
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#8 -Versailles-

-Versailles-

Posted 04 November 2004 - 05:36 AM

My party's very scattered and I have Jaheira and Anomen each memorise a pair of Zone of Sweet Air spells, and Edwin has a bunch of Remove Magic and Breaches, so I think that helped alot. After surviving the first few seconds and dispersing the horrid wiltings, I went crazy with summons... A wyvern, two mountain bears, an invisible stalker and... an orge. Having a magic-resistant PC helps a bunch too, :D .

Question... The teleportation ring has no more charges. I have no idea how to get out of the place. I tried resting once in hopes that the ring was one of those once-a-day charged items, and Eddie's mom... You know the entire embaressing episode :P . Can anyone help me to get out of the place without having to redo the fight? Because I tried thrice and still no charges...

#9 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 05:40 AM

My party's very scattered and I have Jaheira and Anomen each memorise a pair of Zone of Sweet Air spells, and Edwin has a bunch of Remove Magic and Breaches, so I think that helped alot. After surviving the first few seconds and dispersing the horrid wiltings, I went crazy with summons... A wyvern, two mountain bears, an invisible stalker and... an orge. Having a magic-resistant PC helps a bunch too,  :D .

Question... The teleportation ring has no more charges. I have no idea how to get out of the place. I tried resting once in hopes that the ring was one of those once-a-day charged items, and Eddie's mom... You know the entire embaressing episode  :P . Can anyone help me to get out of the place without having to redo the fight? Because I tried thrice and still no charges...

View Post

Check the bodies...

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#10 Nebukad

Nebukad
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 05:59 AM

Check the bodies...

View Post

Actually, Dekaras should give a working ring in the dialogue after which he leaves. Just equip it and then use it.

#11 -Versailles-

-Versailles-

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

Check the bodies...

View Post

Actually, Dekaras should give a working ring in the dialogue after which he leaves. Just equip it and then use it.

View Post

He said he did, but he didn't give my char anything. After his convo, I got my char to loot the bodies, and picked up everything... Still no ring. I've tried a few times. :bash: :bash: :bash:

#12 Nebukad

Nebukad
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 02:49 AM

He said he did, but he didn't give my char anything. After his convo, I got my char to loot the bodies, and picked up everything... Still no ring. I've tried a few times.  :bash:  :bash:  :bash:

View Post

It looks exactly like the one given earlier (which is removed while the new one is given). But I suppose you could try cheating it in game. Try typing CLUAConsole:CreateItem("telring2",1)

Edited by Nebukad, 05 November 2004 - 02:50 AM.

#13 -Versailles-

-Versailles-

Posted 05 November 2004 - 04:36 AM

He said he did, but he didn't give my char anything. After his convo, I got my char to loot the bodies, and picked up everything... Still no ring. I've tried a few times.  :bash:  :bash:  :bash:

View Post

It looks exactly like the one given earlier (which is removed while the new one is given). But I suppose you could try cheating it in game. Try typing CLUAConsole:CreateItem("telring2",1)

View Post

Thank you!! I could kiss you but I don't think you would want that :D . *Scurries off to play BG2 again.* B)

#14 -Ael-

-Ael-

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:47 AM

Hello!

After a hard fight against those people I don't find the ring so I add it in my inventory by SK. But when I want to uqse it, the game crashs :crying: I come back to Windows. Any idea?

(ps: sorry for my english, it's not my native language)