Launch cancelled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#61 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:21 PM

Snippet from baldur.ini sent.

I erased all the files in my Override folder before installing RoT. RoT froze immediately after character creation. I then restored the erased files to the Override folder, just for good measure, and RoT froze again after character creation.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#62 Wiskas

Wiskas

SeeD battle mage

• 123 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:15 PM

Strange - the game now works for me even if I don't emty the \override folder before installation. But now I have exactly 3000 files in it - 58 more files than you.

I think one of my friends has english version of SoA and ToB so I will try installing RoT on it.
Stars are out.. the magic is back

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Sephiroth

#63 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

I think one of my friends has english version of SoA and ToB so I will try installing RoT on it.

View Post

Any updates to report? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

#64 Wiskas

Wiskas

SeeD battle mage

• 123 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:24 AM

Nothing yet, nobody I know has english BGII. I'm afraid I will have to use other sources to obtain the game.

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Sephiroth

#65 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

And IŽm still alive but with no energy left for this.

But if I am needed for something just let me know and IŽll see what I can do. ;)

#66 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

Have all the other betatesters chimed in with their results? I know Kai has.

SConard? Seifer?

#67 Wiskas

Wiskas

SeeD battle mage

• 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:10 AM

Well that's really strange. Just got english version of BGII w/out ToB, made minimal install, installed the mod and...
IT WORKS

Tomorrow I'll try it with full install and/or ToB.

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Sephiroth

#68 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

Minimal install? Hmmmmm :huh:

If you would be so kind, Wiskas, repeat your EXACT steps beginning with installing SoA and/or ToB. I will try to replicate your process.

#69 Wiskas

Wiskas

SeeD battle mage

• 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

Yesterday I downloaded complete first and second CDs of SoA (it is legal, because I own the game), and installed minimal install of SoA, then installed mod as in instructions and it just worked.

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Sephiroth

#70 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 12:27 AM

You didn't delete all the files in Override or anything special like that, did you?

#71 Wiskas

Wiskas

SeeD battle mage

• 123 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

No, just installed SoA and then RoT

from three installs two worked and one didn't

Maybe the mod is incompatible with certain configs

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Sephiroth

#72 Wiskas

Wiskas

SeeD battle mage

• 123 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:12 AM

Observation: if I start a new game at least once before installing RoT, it will work, if I install RoT immediately after installing SoA it won't

Query: Why?

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Sephiroth

#73 Eon Blue Apocalypse

Eon Blue Apocalypse
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:58 AM

sounds similar to what you had to do to get the old BP-BGT package running (first run BG1 and BG2 once).

#74 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:14 PM

Finally! Success!!!

A minimal install didn't work for me...dunno why. I even tried using your baldur.ini, Wiskas, with my own modified Alias section, but that didn't work either. I also tried your trick of starting a new game in straight SoA before installing RoT. That didn't work for me with a minimal install. So, I tried a full install, started a game in vanilla SoA, quit, then installed RoT and started another new game. That worked! I CLUA'd to RA5100, heard music and sounds, spoke to some of the villagers (even Fenedon Tremp) and CLUA'd a new item ("NewStQu"). Everything went well.

Something I noticed: all the icons on the game screen are colored a yellowish/gold. Do you see the same thing, Wiskas? And Gilgamesh, are the icons supposed to be colored gold?

Now we know the mod indeed works, but is there something we can do to make this easier for the masses to install? I spoke to Gilgamesh about putting an automatic installer together, and he tried to get help from the community, but nobody stepped up to the plate. Also, how did BP-BGT get around starting SoA once before installing the mod? There must be a solution that RoT can employ.

#75 Eon Blue Apocalypse

Eon Blue Apocalypse
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:28 AM

I don't think they did get around it, but I assume the weidu versions no longer require first starting a game (wouldn't know though). I have never actually installed either though, I only read about this in the forums, so I wouldn't know what would cause it. hlid and horred may know more.

#76 -Guest_Gilgamesh_*-

-Guest_Gilgamesh_*-

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:22 AM

My computer broke down and IŽve been out for two weeks. Good to see you have finally got it to work here. :thumb:
I have to go now but IŽll come back tomorrow to see what should be done next.

#77 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

OK, it seems that the computer is working normally now. Anyway, I think we can release the mod for public now. Just add this additional information to the READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING so that people will get the mod to work. IŽll be ready for bug-fixing (just have to download the editors first and install the game and the mod).

Of course if at any point anyone is intrested in making an installer that would be most appreciated. ;)

ThankŽs for figuring this out people!

#78 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:55 PM

Oh, and those golden icons are intented. I made some experiments with different colored icons and left the golden ones. I was supposed to remove them before the release (in case people wouldnŽt like them) but as IŽm so used to them myself I forgot the whole thing. There should be a file in the override - folder and by deleting it the golden icons will be changed back to normal. IŽll find that file if necessary and write a topic how to remove them (and some other misc - additions that might not be liked).

#79 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

I want to release this mod to the public as well, but I think before this is done, it would be wise to clean up as much as possible. If we can nix the starting a new game before installing RoT then that would be great. I asked hlidskialf for some help on this; he offered to download the mod from my FTP site and check it out.

I would also recommend WeiDU'ing this beast before releasing it. Or, at the very least, compressing it more so people don't have to download 900MB of data.

I also would like to see an installer made. I would never recommend stealing another person's work, but why not borrow an installer from somebody else? For the new World Map project, I know Yacomo borrowed, with permission, Sir BillyBob's installer that BillyBob used for Secret of Bone Hill. It should be as simple as getting an installer and tweaking it to unpack the RoT files instead of SoBH files.

#80 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 04:57 AM

You or anyone else may do whatever you want with the mod. ;) IŽll do that bug-fixing but other than that IŽm done with this. If anyone can make an installer go ahead. ;)