magic system

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:56 AM

Or at least make the spell do something else than intented, like wild magic.

#42 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

Spells could be charged up, draining mana, and released at a certain level of power. Trying to cast higher level spells will take longer and therefore increase the chance of disruption :).

View Post

I already suggested this! :o
The over-charge that you suggested could be an ability of, say, a mild mage-like class where they try to use it to their advantage. Also this would be the best way to control what spells a mage can cast, rather then just capping them off, cap their safe casting amount. So a level 1 mage could potentially charge a magic missile spells up for half an hour, but it would probably kill him as soon as he released. Alternatively, it could work properly (out of some extreme fluke.) That would be a really good way of doing it IMO, and it would be closer to what I imagine magic to be like.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#43 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:40 PM

I already suggested this!  :o

:rolleyes: Heh.

The over-charge that you suggested could be an ability of, say, a mild mage-like class where they try to use it to their advantage. Also this would be the best way to control what spells a mage can cast, rather then just capping them off, cap their safe casting amount. So a level 1 mage could potentially charge a magic missile spells up for half an hour, but it would probably kill him as soon as he released. Alternatively, it could work properly (out of some extreme fluke.) That would be a really good way of doing it IMO, and it would be closer to what I imagine magic to be like.

View Post

So you think physical harm is a good penalty for the mage? I could have sworn I already suggested that :P. Still, it's a good idea :). A cap on possible usage, as well as safe usage, might also be sensible. This would give mages a hazardous margin to exploit, not the power of a top-level mage ;).

#44 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:51 PM

haha, well I say let the newbies blow themselves up, but perhaps its not a bad idea to have some sort of cap.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#45 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:43 AM

well, i a mage can hurt himself so must a knight cut his head down, too. and a thief can certainly backstab himself. not to mention the cleric who cast harm instead of heal. :mellow:

Edited by Schatten, 23 December 2004 - 06:44 AM.

gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#46 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:40 AM

Knights and rogues aren't dealing with the arcane ;). But potentially, if they tried to use their skills past their ability, they might have the risk of penalties.

Afaiik there will only be one type of magic user, but correct me if I'm wrong.

#47 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:18 AM

Knights and rogues aren't dealing with the arcane ;). But potentially, if they tried to use their skills past their ability, they might have the risk of penalties.

Afaiik there will only be one type of magic user, but correct me if I'm wrong.

View Post

using arcane or not has nothing to do with that. i say if you wanna nerf a caster by hurting himself i say a charging knight can trip and his sword is inserted into his head. so every high level ability must have the potential of hurting the user otherwise you nerf one char into oblivion.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#48 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:34 AM

Yes, exactly :). Sorry, I misunderstood.

#49 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:44 AM

I agree also. High level abilities without any chance of a drawback are just an enormous cheeze.

#50 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:13 PM

Yes, exactly :). Sorry, I misunderstood.

View Post

he, no problem. :hug:

" I agree also. High level abilities without any chance of a drawback are just an enormous cheeze."

yep. you must look, a meleer and ranger has unlimited ammo but their damage output is not so high. for them it takes longer to kill. a mage has not (or should not) have unlimited ammo but their attacks must kick better.

#51 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:50 PM

I agree also. High level abilities without any chance of a drawback are just an enormous cheeze.

View Post

I disagree, HLAs are just that, high level abilities. Sure if a low level person was to try to use one there should be a drawback, but the idea behind them is that the character is experienced and skilled enough to perform them properly.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#52 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:48 AM

Well, that's just a question of opinion. I didn't like HLAs in BGs too much anyway.