247 replies to this topic

#21 EithelRuin

EithelRuin
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:20 PM

TDD-Weidu

SOS-Weidu

:o :huh: :wacko: :w00t: B)

Horred, you don't realize how much this community loves you and that you really are becoming a legend in BG-modding! Thanks for BP and all incarnations of this monster! I hope that with your devoted and professional work we will see a final BP-BGT by the end of 2005. Keep on with the good work! :thumb:

#22 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:50 PM

TDD-Weidu

SOS-Weidu

:o :huh: :wacko: :w00t: B)

Horred, you don't realize how much this community loves you and that you really are becoming a legend in BG-modding! Thanks for BP and all incarnations of this monster! I hope that with your devoted and professional work we will see a final BP-BGT by the end of 2005. Keep on with the good work! :thumb:

View Post

You just wait till we spray insect spray on all those nasty bugs!!! B)

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#23 PolarBear

PolarBear
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:30 AM

Leaving the kits into the TDD mod isn't a bad thing now that there is a mod that allows you to remove them again.  What we really need is someone crazy enough to build a program (not a mod) to install and remove kits from a game.  Any C++ programmers out there looking for a good class project?  :ph34r:

View Post

Umm, I'm already working on a silly little command line utility which helps the user to edit the k_*_*.2da files. It's almost done, if I have the time it'll be ready by the end of the day (GMT +1) . It is not a big deal though. Just a command line prog, no mouse support, etc. It collects data from kitlist.2da, and then edits the selected k_*_*.2da as the user wishes.

If this is not enough, just tell me what else it shoud do. I can make my program delete/copy files without any problem.

#24 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:06 AM

I'm in a massive overhaul stage of this mod. I figured I'd start at the bottom of the pile, and work my way up for a change. So, in that spirit, I have made.....

A TDD-weidu!!!!!   

No, I did not mistype anything!

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#25 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:08 AM

That was me being speechless by the way, in case you hadn't guessed :)

Seriously horred... your output, energy and enthusiasm are amazing. Your modding skills ain't too shabby either. :thumb:

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#26 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:52 AM

Leaving the kits into the TDD mod isn't a bad thing now that there is a mod that allows you to remove them again.  What we really need is someone crazy enough to build a program (not a mod) to install and remove kits from a game.  Any C++ programmers out there looking for a good class project?  :ph34r:

View Post

Umm, I'm already working on a silly little command line utility which helps the user to edit the k_*_*.2da files. It's almost done, if I have the time it'll be ready by the end of the day (GMT +1) . It is not a big deal though. Just a command line prog, no mouse support, etc. It collects data from kitlist.2da, and then edits the selected k_*_*.2da as the user wishes.

If this is not enough, just tell me what else it shoud do. I can make my program delete/copy files without any problem.

View Post

You will need to make it idiot proof (I mean user proof). ^_^ If it is too complicated to work with, users will hound you for making it easier. This isn't exactly a command-line crowd here. Nor should they be expected to be.

What you would need is the abilty to tell the player what kits are already installed (kits for the PC, not NPCs). They would also need the ability to remove kits they don't want. Also a way to add back in the kits that they now want back. New kits should still be handled by the Weidu mods the way they are now. You don't want to get involved in managing every kit mod out there. :wacko:

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#27 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

Issue resolved!

TDD kits will be optional. It was actually pretty easy to do.

I leave the file CLABFI29.2DA in the OVERRIDE folder, IF-AND-ONLY-IF the TDD kits are installed. That should be plenty enough for a fellow weidu modder to go on, to make their mod auto-detect the presence (or, lack of presence) of TDD kits. I'm sure someone can find a way to f*** it up, but that's their peculiar talent I reckon... :P

To detect TDD present, irrelevant of kits, use the file: override\POSNOW01.CRE

SoS-weidu, and Installer is completed! YaY! :D

While it took less time to do than the TDD weidu, SOS had a number of challenges in doing it. Not the least of which: numerous custom journal entries! :bash:
You think there would be an easier way by now...

This installer will also check for the presence of TDD, and for the presence of TDD kits, when installing key files. The vice versa is NOT true at this time(it could be, with some effort); but anybody that can't follow a simple 1-2-3 installation should stick to lego's... :P

To detect the presence of SOS installed, look for the file: override/CBKBAKER.CRE

Pretty neat, pretty good, alright....ALRIGHT! :thumb:

More will follow as it progresses.... :whistling:

#28 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 12:54 PM

It would be all or nothing, on the kits:

1) we don't need 78 yes/no questions in the installer
2) it would be a coding "beeeeitch" to set this up--esp for KIT.IDS.
I use KIT checks in existing BP scripts!
3) a few kits, instead of all or nothing, would REALLY throw off my SoS install.
(SOS will follow TDD in install sequence)

Meh, if it is all that work, we can just use the TDD kit uninstaller. Sounds like waaaaaaaaaaaay too much of a headache. It would be nice to be optional, but why do all that work.

I think Hlid said it best:

I for one much rather work on NEW projects, maybe even finish a couple burning a hole in my creative pocket. I would be content to see a rebuild of the autoinstaller and maybe even a final BP version, but to pull it apart and then reintegrate it's components for "tidyness" is just slightly lower on my list of things to do than go get a root canal without anesthetic.

Personally, I would rather see a finished version of e weidu installers for these (so my puny 56k can start downloading them), and you new mod rather then a bunch of optionals that are a ton of work.

***EDIT*** If you are rebuilding the installer, why not work with Vlad's new weidu version of TS? Might be less work, maybe?

View Post

Funny, the coment that Hild made... though I do remeber him making it... Interesting how the first person to reply to this wonderful news was Hild himself... hmmm... interesting indeed... :rolleyes:

View Post

Right Gaias, because I'm not allowed to send Horred a "Kudos" when he tackles and completes something that I wouldn't bother touching? :P
I like helping my friends, so I'll go over Horred's code for proofing/tweaking as per usual. However, I'm not the one sacrificing my creative energies for this project, and hopefully when my projects are released at some point in the future others will appreciate the difference. ;)

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#29 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:42 PM

What is it, now a mod a day?? With Horred back it seems, you mod makers are putting out a mod a day. Who is going to put out tomarrow's mod?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#30 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 02:52 PM

Right Gaias, because I'm not allowed to send Horred a "Kudos" when he tackles and completes something that I wouldn't bother touching?  :P
I like helping my friends, so I'll go over Horred's code for proofing/tweaking as per usual. However, I'm not the one sacrificing my creative energies for this project, and hopefully when my projects are released at some point in the future others will appreciate the difference.  ;)

View Post

Good, I'm counting on some proofreading... ;)

As far as creative energy goes--the sacrifice is worth the end result, I think.

I just installed sos on-top-of tdd!!!!

Everything I've checked so far looks good--at this point, no need for a bp-per-se.
I put pertinent bp files into each package (worldmaps), and weidu takes care of the rest.

I "think" I have it set up, so you could install these mods in EITHER order, without incident.

ONE PROBLEM: The uninstall.bat files are NOT deleting the bif's! The "read-only" status prevents deletion! :crying: If anybody knows of either a weidu, or command-line, function to correct this--I'd be grateful.

I'll try TS on the top later--first I must make a biffer for it! Hopefully Vlad's code will hold up--I know he didn't prepare for something like this. If not, I'll have to update the .tp2 and include it in the BPv170 package. My TS biffer will run from an Nullsoft installer (which also will install TSv600)--so hopefully I won't have to touch Vlad's package at all (.tp2 file, tops!)

Coincidentally--TDD weidu and SOS weidu both run from Nullsoft installers, not straight from Setup-xxx.exe. They will (if above problem is solved) UNINSTALL from Setup-xxx.exe. This is necessary for a few reasons. Hope that's not too confusing--it was either a Nullsoft, or a straight .bat file installer. :excl:
Unless somebody can tell me a better way...

TS adds no kits, nor worldmap areas--so I'm clear on the big compat issues...YES!

If this keeps up, BPv170 will be a very small package indeed... :wub:

I might switch SOS AR4300 to AR4370, so it will already be compatible with BGT. How nice is that? It also will reduce BP-BGT requirements (and package size) by (yet another) big .TIS file.

#31 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:13 PM

ONE PROBLEM: The uninstall.bat files are NOT deleting the bif's! The "read-only" status prevents deletion!  :crying:  If anybody knows of either a weidu, or command-line, function to correct this--I'd be grateful.

View Post

attrib -R foo

should do it.

Edited by CamDawg, 27 January 2005 - 03:14 PM.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#32 -Sir Fry-

-Sir Fry-

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:24 PM

:( Horred, are you human?

Because, if you are, this is even more beautiful... :crying:

#33 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:27 PM

attrib -R foo

should do it.

View Post

Thanks, Cam Dawg---command-line, I take it? Or is this actually a weidu function?

I just installed the mods in REVERSE order (SOS first). Everything looks fine; at least, everything I accounted for. I deduced that I would need to install TS BEFORE making the biffer (errrm....what files? :blink: :online2long: ). So, here goes...I'll keep you all posted.

#34 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 07:02 PM

Oh yeah, sorry. That's a DOS command.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#35 dowish

dowish
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

Oh yeah, sorry. That's a DOS command.

View Post

Ahhhh yes, DOS. The good old days when I was young!

#36 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:04 AM

Horred, I'm still stunned by what you are achieving in such a short time :o

One question out of curiosity: What are you planning for the 'small' mods like Ascension, Tactics and so on that were included in BP? Will they still be part of BP170 or will your installer just look if there is a 'normal' tp2 file for them in the BGII directory and take whatever version is available there?

#37 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:53 AM

ONE PROBLEM: The uninstall.bat files are NOT deleting the bif's! The "read-only" status prevents deletion!  :crying:  If anybody knows of either a weidu, or command-line, function to correct this--I'd be grateful.

View Post

Use this command after creating the biff files:

attrib -r override/*.bif

This will remove the read-only flag on all bif files. I'm not in a position to try this out myself as I am at work and I don't have internet at home, but the attrib -r will remove read-only flags and allow you to delete the files.

Guess I was a bit too late, sorry didn't see that there was a second page.

Edited by cujo, 28 January 2005 - 02:57 AM.

#38 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:23 AM

An attrib command with a wildcard would remove the flag on the standard game biff files also. That may not be a good thing. A safer way would be to attrib -r BP*.bif or CB*.bif, thereby only unlocking the BP related files or the SoS related files.

Horred, if you use an installer, will it still allow for autoupdates of the Setup*.exe? The autoupdate feature of Weidu has caused many problems for players who forget to update before running the current autoinstaller.

Any chance you want to start stripping redundant TIS files out of these revised mods also? Should I assume that each Weidu version is still going to assume that the player is installing all the mods and not just making a TDD-SoS game (no TS or BP extras)?

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#39 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:42 AM

An attrib command with a wildcard would remove the flag on the standard game biff files also.  That may not be a good thing.  A safer way would be to attrib -r BP*.bif or CB*.bif, thereby only unlocking the BP related files or the SoS related files.

Horred, if you use an installer, will it still allow for autoupdates of the Setup*.exe?  The autoupdate feature of Weidu has caused many problems for players who forget to update before running the current autoinstaller.

Any chance you want to start stripping redundant TIS files out of these revised mods also?  Should I assume that each Weidu version is still going to assume that the player is installing all the mods and not just making a TDD-SoS game (no TS or BP extras)?

View Post

No, I'm making these mods for standalone &/or for BP, remember. Thus, I have to include all the extra BS from the bif's. Simply put--there was a lot of other repeat crap that came right from bg2, unaltered--this was removed I hope.

As far as auto-updating goes; I'm using the .bat file Wes posted on pocket plane a couple weeks back--not 100% certain it works right, but it's my best chance. Otherwise, you can expect a long, clumbsy string of ugly .bat files. Personally, I wish the auto-update would burn in perdition's flames! :devil: It causes more problems than it solves, at least on the user end.

The main reason for using the nullsoft installer, and bat files is: creation/deletion of all the extra folders (for biffing). Can this be done from within a Setup.exe? If so, somebody tell me how. I'm not "stuck on" nullsoft, just don't see another way.

I'll only be removing the read-only label on a per-bif basis, and only right before said biff is deleted via the uninstaller.

At any rate--enough work done for one week--time to just play. More will be done when I'm no longer sick of looking at it.

Edited by horred the plague, 28 January 2005 - 07:50 AM.

#40 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:10 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention: I added TS on top of a SoS-TDD (reverse) installation last night. I did a little bit of exploring--kachiko was there, bugbears were in place, eshpurta was given me on the worldmap, jaheira had her convo w/ ribald about coran (that little brage cuts in right away again---Vlad? :P ). No area file overwrites, no animation conflicts (one with ts and bp, but that's my problem to fix--and I already figured out how ;) ).

I had to do some small rewriting of the TS .tp2 already, so you can expect that file to be changed in bp. I didn't biff TS yet, and might not for a couple days. To do it right, I'll have to rewrite the ts areasounds .bat to send the tiz into folders with headerless tis files (so they don't go tiz-tis-tiz-tis)--same with the ogg/wav. Anybody else follow that last bit? :lol:

It looks like most of BPv170 will be just my enhancements. I'm not sure I can break it down into individual contained mods (like ascension, tactics, improved horns, my AI, creature XP reduction, etc)--a lot of these files are overlapped to tell the truth. And it's far too much unnecessary headache. So, BP will remain mostly what it already is: the spice and flavor of this huge, epic world.