Photo

IWD 1 vs IWD2

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:02 AM

I though IWD was alright, too linear for my tastes though.

I hated the second IWD, though I can't really put a finger on why, just went overboard in too many areas I guess.

#22 Ellester

Ellester
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

I?ve replayed IWD2 quite a bit. In fact more than IWD, which I like better. Odd? Yes, and no. The reason why is the rules, and it is the only reason. You can create all 6 characters; play monks, barbarians and sorcerers that were not in IWD, the selection of feats are fun, and the Cleric Domains just rock. You feel like a Battleguard of Tempus when you choose one. And the spell list is very large compared to IWD. IWD2 is a game of micromanaging a party and cool loot! Sometimes its just fun to create interesting parties and go out and slaughter some goblins.

IWD had a great story, but since you have to choose all 6 characters it?s just not that much fun to replay. BG has the NPC?s that add a ton of replay. IWD doesn?t have this feature and they don?t have all the d&d classes, so you have essentially the same party every time you play. I replayed IWD twice, but even with the good story and atmosphere I couldn?t get myself to do it again.

Wizardry 8 is the same feeling as IWD2. The game is about making a cool party, leveling up and combat. Sometimes these types of games are fun even though their strong points are rules, combat and character creation over story and role-playing. If anyone has played Wiz8 they might know why I can replay IWDII.

#23 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:36 AM

I actually gave up with IWD2; I disliked it that much. I got as far as the monastry and then the constant hack'n'slash got just too much. Of the two, I prefer IWD - despite the lack of interparty banter etc I felt the game had the better storyline. I can live without being a rules lawyer as long as the game flows - IWD2 simply crashes along stop-start from one combat to another.

-Y-

#24 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:47 PM

I fought all the way to the final boss of IWD II, only to have some sort of bug kick in and make them invicible. Never got back into it for more than a few days since.

#25 -MoonElf-

-MoonElf-

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:11 AM

Well i got bored of IWD2 and stopped playing it around about the time i got to the temple... just hack, slash, hack, slash without any of the atmosphere that IWD1 had. The only part i really remember liking was fellwood, which for me was a gem inside an otherwise poor game. I think i may have liked it because it reminded me of the forest in EOB3 :).

What we really need is IWD1 with IWD2 rules system... and maybe fellwood :P.

#26 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

While I will not replay neither IWD1 nor IWD2, I have to say that I liked IWD2 more, but only AFTER I have enabled the cheat console and equipped myself with the step by step guide. Before that, I could not advance through the game.

I don't think I was all that fascinated by IWD1 story - in fact I have but very dim recollections of it - something about a small girl who turns into a big monstra... I have not finished IWD2 yet (in the Underdark currently), but IWD2 story so far was nothing special either, but I really liked the chapter introductions by Oswald's niece (?) and I liked the three sisters of Auril and an architect subplot.

Area wise, I think both games are comparable, with artwork and music being absolutely stunning in my view in both games. Sevred Hand is probably my most favorite place from both games so far, but the Ice Temple is close behind.

What IWD2 takes a credit for from me is for its rules and system. It is awsome. I love how it works, and my personal favorite is that my druid is now the toughest character in the whole party.

Basically, if IWD2 allowed for compelling joinable NPCs (and really, judging from the dialogue in the game, there was no lack of writting talent) it would have competed with BG1TUTU/NPC for the first place among my favorite games. As of now it comes the second after BG1, but ahead of BG2. :). IWD1 falls behind BG2. But then again, I have not tried so many games... probably something like this:

BG1TUTU/NPC
IWD2
BG2
IWD1
KOTOR
NWN
PST
Arcanum

#27 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:13 PM

Only liked IWD2 for the "full-HP-class-complement-after-level-10".
Didn't like the "random-dropped-treasures-despite-challenging-encounters-that-aren't-worth-a-damn"
On the plus side, because of this I did get some Strength Bracers right after the goblin attack at end of Chapter 1.
But the game just reeks sometimes. Sliding XP cap doesn't help.
Music: Not as good as BG2
Graphics: Same engine.
Atmosphere: Slightly better. Jungles of Chult(did we go there? It's been 2 years) a good addition. Insane puzzle design in pyramid. Very tough fights.

View Post

Not as good? Well, probably because i heard the bg2 music many more times, i started to hate it :) Iwd2 has great music, actually, music is its only worthy piece.
I don't like fishy names like 'courteous magocracy', it sucks even after I read a few halruaa books. How could one connect two completely unrelated things, i wonder.
Avenger

#28 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:16 PM

I fought all the way to the final boss of IWD II, only to have some sort of bug kick in and make them invicible.  Never got back into it for more than a few days since.

View Post

Yeah, this hit me too. This and the sloppy dialogs (or rather story) in the second half made iwd2 a pile of ....
Though it started so good.
Avenger

#29 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:07 AM

Spoiler...

Damage them enough and they go to the Pool to replenish. You have to poison it beforehand IIRC to weaken them and defeat them afte that.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#30 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:06 AM

I agree with T.G. wholeheartedly.
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#31 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:55 PM

Spoiler...

Damage them enough and they go to the Pool to replenish. You have to poison it beforehand IIRC to weaken them and defeat them afte that.

View Post

I did poison the pool, but they became invisible and could not be targeted.
They retained invisibility after attacking too.
Avenger

#32 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

I was frustrated to the point of cheating. The kill cheat did not work.

#33 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:02 PM

I'm happy to hear this. I hate cheats. <_<
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#34 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:26 AM

@Avenger_TBG

Sounds really like a bug to me. I never had that in about a dozen fights. :(
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#35 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:19 PM

I'm happy to hear this. I hate cheats. <_<

View Post

So pretty much you're happy I didn't get to see the ending? That's a tad harsh :)

#36 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:29 AM

No, the fact you cannot see the endings doesn't make me happy at all - OTOH, the other fact, that a cheat failed to work does. Even if it means overcoming a problematic/buggy point in a game, cheats just make me upset. ^_^
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#37 HERD

HERD
  • Modder
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:46 AM

I do love the attempt of scripting of the final battle in IWDII ,
but then again , once you dig-ty dig, there are no surprises.
What so ever ...

#38 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:10 AM

Is there a mod that converts IWD1 to the IWD2 engine?

I love IWD2's engine, so I'm hoping there's a mod. It really was something.

#39 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:01 AM

I just want to day...R.I.P. Black Isle... :crying:

#40 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

I just want to day...R.I.P. Black Isle... :crying:

I think you mean say... that aside, I'm really glad that they managed to finish both IWDs before everything went up in da boom... :Bow: