Numerous questions...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:12 PM

I don't when they are the same game.  Again, your "better quality" is under the hood.  They don't see it and they wouldn't know the difference unless you pointed out each little item and said "See that?  Ain't it better than the other guy's?"

They don't notice that in the new dialogues with Belt, you're (almost?) never given more than ONE dialogue response? They don't notice that the writing and execution of the transition sequence is horrific? They don't notice the awkward implementation of Imoen's dual-classing? I could go on. (I'll leave out the issue of TotSC being after the end of BG1, since Ascension says he's dealing with this.)

These things obviously are noticeable ingame, because I noticed them. They also clearly aren't "under the hood", because they're things you encounter while playing the game, not modding it. The "better quality" I cite is because Tutu doesn't add anything which could potentially degrade the game in such a manner (although again, perhaps you're willing to endure the transition-- I simply warn players what they're in for).

I really don't see how you figure that the writing quality of the transition is something "under the hood" and of no interest to casual players. They're the ones who have to sit through it all.

Edited by SimDing0, 19 March 2005 - 05:20 PM.

Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#22 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:34 PM

First off, the only transition I know of is the one in BGT, I have not used Ascension64's yet so I can't compare.

As for Belt, he is an ass and coward (a typical noble) who wants you out of town because the other nobles question your abilities to kill a Bhaalspawn. For all the player knows, Belt could have setup the capture of the PC.

Imoen is always a "Charming Rogue" kit in my game. So no, I don't see any problems with the dual-class issue. I am sure it is there but back when I played BGT without BP, I was usually soloing the game anyway.

The cut-scene transition is buggy and works only half the time (if that). However, I thought that is what Ascension was working on fixing. I guess ending the game and having to import your player into SOA like Tutu does is so much better. Gee, maybe Bioware should have thought of that concept to.

So in the end, your gripe is with the transition from BGT to SOA? Fine, fix it and let's move on. This beating a dead horse gets tiring and it also doesn't really belong in the DSotSC forum anyway.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#23 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:51 PM

First off, the only transition I know of is the one in BGT, I have not used Ascension64's yet so I can't compare.

I haven't used Ascension64's either.

As for Belt, he is an ass and coward (a typical noble) who wants you out of town because the other nobles question your abilities to kill a Bhaalspawn.  For all the player knows, Belt could have setup the capture of the PC.

This is, of course, all excellent characterisation of the man who stands up to Sarevok on your behalf at a time when he's got the backing of the Baldur's Gate nobility and is towering over him in his spiky armour.
I also fail to understand why him being an "ass and a coward" results in the player having restricted response options. Is the condition contagious?

Imoen is always a "Charming Rogue" kit in my game.  So no, I don't see any problems with the dual-class issue.  I am sure it is there but back when I played BGT without BP, I was usually soloing the game anyway.

Ignoring a problem does not make it go away. I found it to be an issue.

The cut-scene transition is buggy and works only half the time (if that).  However, I thought that is what Ascension was working on fixing.  I guess ending the game and having to import your player into SOA like Tutu does is so much better.  Gee, maybe Bioware should have thought of that concept to.

I find that Descent and Descent II, Doom II and Doom III, Unreal and Unreal 2... they all work well as two separate games, and I don't believe merging them together would do either of each pair any favours. Perhaps the reason Tutu "does it so much better" in my view is because it doesn't try to slap the games together at all?

So in the end, your gripe is with the transition from BGT to SOA?  Fine, fix it and let's move on.

Given that fixing it acceptably would, in my eyes, involve a substantial amount of rewriting various parts of BG2, and perhaps adding in some new NPCs, I think "fix it and move on" is perhaps underestimating the issue. As the "BGT team", I guess that's your job, but until it satisfies me, I'll carry on telling people what I think is wrong with it from a player's perspective. :)

This beating a dead horse gets tiring and it also doesn't really belong in the DSotSC forum anyway.

"Pointing out problems with a mod to prospective players" is hardly "beating a dead horse". And isn't this as much the BGT forum as the DSotSC forum? Although, yes, I do find it pretty confusing that the same mod has about three different boards. :P

Edited by SimDing0, 19 March 2005 - 05:53 PM.

Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#24 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

What's the problem with the BG2 intro movie?

Nothing at all. I'd just like to see some good creative development that would attempt to fix an aspect of BGT considered by many as technically and consistently dungheap, and I think a new movie would be a nice addition.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#25 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:08 AM

And isn't this as much the BGT forum as the DSotSC forum? Although, yes, I do find it pretty confusing that the same mod has about three different boards.

Ah :huh:

BoneHill has it's own forum because it is not BGT. Same with DSotSC. They both install on BGT-BP but they are seperate mods. There is enough work here without all the BGT problems as well. :lol:

By the way, I don't work on any bug fixes for BGT-BP, though I will point them out and provide a fix. I have been busy enough with my own mods. I assume that Horred, Hlid, and whomever is working on the next S&H patch, are doing the bug fixes for BGT.

Lastly, I would assume that if Bardez had even half the great team of Gibberlings Three and PocketPlane today back when he built BGT, we wouldn't have these issues. But what is done, is done and the rest of us can either ignore it or try to clean up the work and continue the mods of the past.

Edited by Sir BillyBob, 20 March 2005 - 05:10 AM.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website