Install Questions

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:12 AM

I am a novice to the mod side of the BG games and I have some BP-BGT-NEJ install questions.

Reading the pinned install topics really did help (thank you seanas) but...

I have installed twice and failed. The first install was my bust (I didn't run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe so ended up in Jon's dungeon).

The second install allows me to start at Candlekeep but the text that should be in the text box is also across the view screen. I cannot enter the Candlekeep Inn. I do see the Candlekeep map when I view it. I also get a "screen within the screen" view. In general, my play screen is no good and the game unplayable.

Items of note from the second install:
When the install is in the BP portion (maybe BGT) I got a flag "unknown arguement: [biffme\bgtwav]" in both install attempts. It shows several options but no way to select them, and I had to close the DOS window ("without saving") to exit.
The second install did not call for the BG2 path nor the BGMain.exe.
I had to run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe twice, the first time it ran and ended with the "please re-run" note and created a file named "SETUP-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.DEBUG." The second run allowed me to say [N] to installation and created the WeiDU.log file.
I have installed VB6, but cannot run "regsvr\windows\system32\COMDLG32.ocx (is this because my home PC is not on line?).

I would like some feedback before I try a third install, in case I may be missing something...

Thanks

#2 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:38 AM

I am a novice to the mod side of the BG games and I have some BP-BGT-NEJ install questions.

I have installed twice and failed. The first install was my bust (I didn't run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe so ended up in Jon's dungeon).

The second install allows me to start at Candlekeep but the text that should be in the text box is also across the view screen. I cannot enter the Candlekeep Inn. I do see the Candlekeep map when I view it. I also get a "screen within the screen" view. In general, my play screen is no good and the game unplayable.

When the install is in the BP portion (maybe BGT) I got a flag "unknown arguement: [biffme\bgtwav]" in both install attempts. It shows several options but no way to select them, and I had to close the DOS window ("without saving") to exit.
I had to run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe twice, the first time it ran and ended with the "please re-run" note and created a file named "SETUP-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.DEBUG." The second run allowed me to say [N] to installation and created the WeiDU.log file.
I have installed VB6, but cannot run "regsvr\windows\system32\COMDLG32.ocx (is this because my home PC is not on line?).

I would like some feedback before I try a third install, in case I may be missing something...

Thanks

View Post

Hmm, I am having a bit of a difficulty understanding what you mean by 'screen within a screen'. Could you post a screenshot here? Having the text both on-screen and in the text box is okay, I think you can configure this within BG2.

Most important thing that I see is that you mention that you had to run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe twice. This is so, because upon the first run of any WeiDU mod, all other installers are automatically updated to the most recent version available. If you are using the auto-installer (and I guess you do so), then you will have to make sure that this WeiDU-Update process is done before you start the actual installation. To do so, copy all files required for installation in your BG2 folder, run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe once, it should now say something like 'checking WeiDU version', 'copying Setup-xyz' blahblah. After this is done, do not proceedd with installing Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe, quit it instead and start the normal installation program. Hope this makes sense for you, otherwise just ask ;)

#3 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:18 AM

Thanks

View Post

Hmm, I am having a bit of a difficulty understanding what you mean by 'screen within a screen'. Could you post a screenshot here? Having the text both on-screen and in the text box is okay, I think you can configure this within BG2.

Most important thing that I see is that you mention that you had to run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe twice. This is so, because upon the first run of any WeiDU mod, all other installers are automatically updated to the most recent version available. If you are using the auto-installer (and I guess you do so), then you will have to make sure that this WeiDU-Update process is done before you start the actual installation. To do so, copy all files required for installation in your BG2 folder, run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe once, it should now say something like 'checking WeiDU version', 'copying Setup-xyz' blahblah. After this is done, do not proceedd with installing Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe, quit it instead and start the normal installation program. Hope this makes sense for you, otherwise just ask ;)

View Post

Thanks for the reply, Yacomo.

It's too late for a screen shot. I've set up for another try tonight. The best description I can think of is this: The view window is like looking at the proper full screen. Leave it to me to find the strange stuff.

I assumed that PATCH313 was verifying WeiDU versions and selecting the most current on the first run, but gave no opportunity to cancel install. The second run did, and I did cancel that one.

That leaves the"unknown arguement: [biffme\BGTWAV]". Is that normal, should I type in some switch code (which it seems to imply, but gives no way to enter), or am I missing something?

#4 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:41 AM

That leaves the"unknown arguement: [biffme\BGTWAV]". Is that normal, should I type in some switch code (which it seems to imply, but gives no way to enter), or am I missing something?

View Post

Was it something like unknown arguement biffme\BGTWAV\thumbs.db? I have seen that one in my installation with a few mods because Windows added a thumbs.db file which is hidden so you don't normally see it. Next time you see this message try ignoring it and don't close the dos box until it finishes. It can sometimes look like it's not doing anything while it's doing everything in the background. When finished the dos box will close itself.

#5 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:10 AM

To cujo: The statement was as I put it.

To Yacomo: The third time's the charm. It looks like a good install last night. The problem may be Win98se. Seanas noted three methods to work around its install problems. I don't have a hex editor, VB6 would not install (possibly because I'm not online at home), but I can and did edit the bgt_setup.bat file (I really should be more patient and read more thoroughly).

Why the second install even let me start Candlekeep is beyond me, the way it went.

Three more questions:

Martin Wong's CtB+ .pdf install guide has Setup-NeJFix.exe and Setup-BP_s_and_h_Patch.exe run after Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe. Is this correct or will it cause problems later in the game if they are run (I did run them)?

If I run the TDD kit remover after all is installed, will it remove all TDD kits, allow selective removal of TDD kits, and will it cause problems with other kits installed from other programs (i.e. charming rogue, moon knight, etc.)?

Is the worldmap patch workable at this stage or would it be better to wait for more work to be done on it?

#6 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:29 AM

Three more questions:

Martin Wong's CtB+ .pdf install guide has Setup-NeJFix.exe and Setup-BP_s_and_h_Patch.exe run after Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe. Is this correct or will it cause problems later in the game if they are run (I did run them)?

View Post

This is correct.

If I run the TDD kit remover after all is installed, will it remove all TDD kits, allow selective removal of TDD kits, and will it cause problems with other kits installed from other programs (i.e. charming rogue, moon knight, etc.)?

View Post

Don't know for sure, but I guess they will all be gone :(

Is the worldmap patch workable at this stage or would it be better to wait for more work to be done on it?

View Post

Not many problems reported so far, unfortunately one major problem: The visibility flag for AR0602 (Irenicus Dungeon) is wrong. If you feel confident in using NI, you can fix this easily by yourself, otherwise you better wait till after this weekend, when I'll hopefully upload v3 B)

#7 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:15 AM

Thank you for your help, Yacomo.

I guess I'll just have to try the TDD kit remover and see what happens. Though if it does effect kits added later in the installation I'll have to figure out when to apply the remover to keep them on the next install go-round.

#8 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:59 AM

TDD kit remover only removes PC's kits not NPC's Kits.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#9 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:33 PM

Thanks. :D

#10 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:09 AM

I reinstalled BP-BGT-NEJ this weekend. Then I installed CtB and DSotSC last night (and failed with NTotSC). Now I have even more questions... :blink:

BP-BGT-NEJ Questions
Install took nearly three hours to complete (from start to finish). After TDD installed, but before intalling TS, I ran the TDD kit remover since it seemed an appropiate time and place. No problems here that I can see.

When I installed BGT I had "Invalid switch - /F" when extracting every .tiz file. This may be a result of changing the bgt_setup.bat file, though I am not sure.

When I installed BP-BGT I received "Warning: Internal label ... not found" for a string of dialog files (it ran too fast for me to tell you any more than that).

When I ran Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe I received another warning, but it ran too quickly for me to tell you more than that.

Are these normal flags like the request for the BP-Install file at the start of installation?

After it was all over I found 65 "AreaXXXX" folders in the root directory, and my "nice, neat, empty override folder" had 696 files. When the instructions say I can delete the "few remaining junk files" I have some reservations. Is this normal?
I have screenshots of both my BG2 root directory and override folder but don't know how to include them here (I'm a novice at these boards as well).

CtB-DSotSC-NTotSC Questions
I had partial success in this endevor. I ran:
CtB-BGT-BP-Prep.bat
Setup-CtB4BGT-BP.exe
Setup-DSotSC.exe
Setup-CtB4BGT-BPv2.exe
CtB-BGT-BP-End.bat
Setup-NTotSC.exe

It appears everything set up except NTotSC. I received:
"ERROR: error loading [nototsc\itm/MISC98.ITM]
Stopped installation because of error."

Is my initial installation shot, or did I miss something when I tried to install NTotSC? :whistling:

#11 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:05 AM

CtB-DSotSC-NTotSC Questions
I had partial success in this endevor. I ran:
CtB-BGT-BP-Prep.bat
Setup-CtB4BGT-BP.exe
Setup-DSotSC.exe
Setup-CtB4BGT-BPv2.exe
CtB-BGT-BP-End.bat
Setup-NTotSC.exe

View Post

You don't have to run Setup-CtB4BGT-BPv2.exe as it installs some areas but they are already in Setup-DSotSC.exe

It appears everything set up except NTotSC. I received:
"ERROR: error loading [nototsc\itm/MISC98.ITM]
Stopped installation because of error."

Is my initial installation shot, or did I miss something when I tried to install NTotSC? :whistling:

View Post

In the setup-NToSC.tp2 file there is a very small typo. Open the file with Notepad and I believe it's the very first COPY command. It has nototsc instead of ntotsc. Take out the extra o between the n and the t and run the setup-NTotSC.exe again. It will install fine.

I can't help you with your override directory or AreaXXXX directories as I usually install all the mods before looking at the override.

#12 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:23 AM

Thanks, cujo. I appreciate the info. :thumb:

#13 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:40 AM

Thanks, cujo. I appreciate the info. :thumb:

View Post

No problem at all grogerson. I always forget to report the typo to Sir BillyBob so let's hope he reads it soon and is aware of the problem with NTotSC. :thumb:

#14 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:15 PM

I am aware of the typo. I thought that was in the .02 version. It is still hanging around the 1.0 version???

By the way gang, once the revised BGT-Weidu package is further along, I plan to repackage all three mods; BH, DSotSC, NTotSC as an update designed for the newer BGT. I will include a BIF batch file for each mod as well to help you keep the override clean.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#15 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:49 PM

By the way gang, once the revised BGT-Weidu package is further along, I plan to repackage all three mods; BH, DSotSC, NTotSC as an update designed for the newer BGT.  I will include a BIF batch file for each mod as well to help you keep the override clean.

View Post

You deserve a hug for this Sir: :hug:

#16 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:43 AM

I am aware of the typo.  I thought that was in the .02 version.  It is still hanging around the 1.0 version???

By the way gang, once the revised BGT-Weidu package is further along, I plan to repackage all three mods; BH, DSotSC, NTotSC as an update designed for the newer BGT.  I will include a BIF batch file for each mod as well to help you keep the override clean.

View Post

Thanks Sir BillyBob. The BGT-WeiDU package is almost further along. I have finished removing all redundant files and am on my way to Candlekeep...

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#17 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:18 AM

I am aware of the typo.  I thought that was in the .02 version.  It is still hanging around the 1.0 version???

View Post

Hi SirBillyBob, I get the error when installing version 1.0 but never had the typo in version 0.2. :P People can easily amend the tp2 file it's not a real biggie.

I am running a game at the moment with BP-WeiDU, BGT-WeiDU and BH, DSotSC, NTotSC. I'm planning to go to BH soon. So far the NPC's of DSotSC and NTotSC seem to be there so that's a good start. :D

#18 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:47 AM

I fixed the NTotSC .tp2 file and it installed nicely. I have also added SoBH, SBT, Worldmap, Wiemer's Upgrades, Underrepresented and some Ease-of-Use, and some G3Tweak. So far, so good.

Still, can anyone help with the other questions I have about the flags I received on my installation (both good ones), the AreaXXXX folders or the 696 files in my override folder?

I'd hate to think all my efforts on this mega-game might be hosed from the start... :crying:

#19 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:10 AM

The BGT install will do everything for you correctly if you had done a custom install. When you installed BG1, you had to select custom install, and then on the list of items to install, select all of them. Afterward, you install TotSC and the patch. This C:\Baldur directory would now have all the files in it that you need to do the BGT install. Last thing though, run a BG1 game and build out a PC. You don't have to save it or anything, but this places some code into the Baldur.INI file that helps later during the BGT-BP build.

With everything in the Baldur folder now, the BGT Setup should work fine.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#20 -grogerson-

-grogerson-

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:17 AM

Done and done.

I just want to make sure the 65 AreaXXXX folders are normal and that my override folder is OK even with 696 files in it.

One set of instructions says it should be nearly empty except for a few "junk files" that can be deleted later, another says to delete all files in the override directory.

My game appears to be running fine (up to Beregost anyway), but I don't want to find out later that something is shot and I missed the warning signs. I also don't want to delete files from the override and kill the install that way. :blush: