Chrysta Screenshots

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

It would be nice if the writing style of the NPCs (other than Chrysta) would be a little more consistent with what Bioware put up, although it is quite hard to achieve that.

Even nicer would be some screenshots that don't include banters and unique items.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#22 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

It would be nice if the writing style of the NPCs (other than Chrysta) would be a little more consistent with what Bioware put up, although it is quite hard to achieve that.

Indeed it is - could you point out where the banters shown so far fail in this regard? (and due to the nature of text communication I feel the need to point out that this is an honest request for feedback rather than a snarky and/or oversensitive "I bet you couldn't do better" type remark - I honestly do want to make Chrysta as true to the game as I can, and am always open to constructive criticism. So I really want to know how you think we could have been closer to the "essences" of the illustrated NPCs).

Even nicer would be some screenshots that don't include banters and unique items.

Thats why I put other options on the spoiler poll... but everyone wants banters. it seems! :)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#23 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:05 PM

I, for one, found Edwin's word uses a bit off. Aye, he thinks he's superior, and he will tell you, but he tends to put the stress on his 'superior intellect'. Also, he refers to other people mostly as simians, simpletons, and their race or profession. Furthermore, perhaps a bit more of his musings could be added (Edwin's muttering is one of his more amusing characteristics).

Hear'Dalis I've always found difficult to write myself, especially on style. But there's the bird references, the poetry and lore... I think it fits quite well.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#24 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

That Haer'dalis one actually could be easily mistaken for a Bioware banter, truly. Bueno ^_^ .

#25 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:26 PM

I, for one, found Edwin's word uses a bit off. Aye, he thinks he's superior, and he will tell you, but he tends to put the stress on his 'superior intellect'. Also, he refers to other people mostly as simians, simpletons, and their race or profession. Furthermore, perhaps a bit more of his musings could be added (Edwin's muttering is one of his more amusing characteristics).

I would have to agree with that. While I can see (and "hear") Edwin saying the lines he has with Chrysta, I can't help but feel something (a little something, mind you) is off.

Hear'Dalis I've always found difficult to write myself, especially on style. But there's the bird references, the poetry and lore... I think it fits quite well.

View Post

The Haer'Dalis banter, however, is very impressive.

#26 arconian

arconian
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:35 AM

The Haer'Dalis Banter was more than good. But I'd have to agree with Lord Ernie and Moongaze on the Edwin banter...Keep it up :thumb:

#27 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

I would have to say the Edwin banter seems to use "long" words more than is strictly necessary - it has the feel of someone striving to appear intelligent, something the original banters seem to avoid. Also, in a TOB banter he states his superioirty is based, not on skill, but on the knowledge he is just "better" than everyone else!

The Swordalizer

#28 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:21 AM

Forgot to mention - the other banters are spot-on! :)

#29 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:28 AM

I would have to say the Edwin banter seems to use "long" words more than is strictly necessary - it has the feel of someone striving to appear intelligent, something the original banters seem to avoid. Also, in a TOB banter he states his superioirty is based, not on skill, but on the knowledge he is just "better" than everyone else!

A point well made - I think you have hit upon one of the main reasons why the Banter seems a little stilted. I will go back and de-complexify (that should be a real word, don't you think? :) ) some of Eddie's use of language, which will hopefully make the Banter run smoother.

And thanks to everyone who has left comments for all your support, praise and (especially) constructive criticism. It is much appreciated, and long may it continue! :thumb:

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#30 xaos_bob

xaos_bob
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:30 AM

Let me jump on the bandwagon and clap you on the shoulder and hail you with a, "Job well done, sir! Right bully banters, those!"

That through, let me hop off again. When doing Ed's mutterings, remember that they consist of his inner monologue, just not quite silenced--the thoughts that are usually in the front of a person's mind while they are talking, but most have the poise and politeness to keep them to themselves.

The Haer'Dalis banter really is good. While not as reviled as Anomen, it seems a lot of people don't like the tiefer, and I really don't know why (and the point to that is that HD's dialogues invariably suffer from someone being snarky just to prove they don't really like HD but they're dialoging him in the name of completeness). He sounds as gentle and charming and affectionate with Chrysta as he is with the other PCs.

However (and you knew there was bound to be a "however" somewhere in here, right?), my one small note is that Haer'Dalis would know there are more than celestials, cambions or alu-fiends Out There.  She says that she must then be a prime (which canonically isn't capitalized, but is in the game, so you're spot on). I think HD would be gentleman enough to either agree that, yes, she is likely a prime, or gently correct, that no, that isn't necessarily what he meant.

I'm sort of a Planescape purist, so I've got a good eye for anything related to the planes.  :^^:

Edited by xaos_bob, 17 June 2005 - 10:31 AM.

#31 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:55 PM

However (and you knew there was bound to be a "however" somewhere in here, right?), my one small note is that Haer'Dalis would know there are more than celestials, cambions or alu-fiends Out There.

Heheh. Since HD is one of the other cases himself and was long resident in Sigil, that's pretty much a given. If it is really unobvious that he's just using those three cases as examples (listing all the possibilities might get a bit tedious, no?) then perhaps his last bit should be:

"Neither celestial, cambion nor alu-fiend are you my hummingbird, nor any other race, singularly or in combination, which I can name from a rather extensive experience. While imperfectly helpful, that is not nothing."

She says that she must then be a prime (which canonically isn't capitalized, but is in the game, so you're spot on). I think HD would be gentleman enough to either agree that, yes, she is likely a prime, or gently correct, that no, that isn't necessarily what he meant.

He might but since he hasn't anything really substantive to add to an already overlong banter, it might be as well to let him be gentleman enough to let the lady have the last word. If Sir K would prefer, it would certainly be easy enough to have Chrysta seem less definite in her line by adding a "probably" or "seem to be" to it to make your distinction clear there.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#32 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

1. Why does she have this green color of her skin ?

2. Why there are 2 different portraits in the first and the second image ?

Edited by Feanor, 25 June 2005 - 06:19 AM.

#33 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

Because Sir K. changed it, the second one is by Muse of Sol Ek Sa, I think :)

Sir K, those dialogues look brilliant - can't wait to see more!

#34 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:52 AM

Because Sir K. changed it, the second one is by Muse of Sol Ek Sa, I think :)

Sir K, those dialogues look brilliant - can't wait to see more!

View Post

Thanks K'aeloree, although Hendryk deserves the praise for the Haer'Dalis one as that is one of his superlative efforts :)

And you are right about the portraits, the first one is from the "prototype" portrait I got off the web, while the second one is the one Muse has been working on.

And a note to Feanor: Why green skin? Well, you know what I'm going to say here don't you... SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER ;)

#35 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:16 PM

As promised, here is a Jan Banter by way of July's teaser spoiler. Enjoy! :)

Posted Image

#36 Zethre

Zethre
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:32 PM

Fantastic dialogue there. I'm really looking foeward to this mod, but just one thing - there's something a little creepy about charname calling her "child" when she's romancable, for me anyway. :(
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun

-Katharine Hepburn

#37 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

Aye, been too long since I've posted here. Great Jan dialogue, Sir K; it contains all the reasons why I think he's the funniest Bioware character ever made. Anyway, aren't we long past the two weeks time for another update?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#38 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Anyway, aren't we long past the two weeks time for another update?

View Post

Yup, been on holiday for a coupla weeks and just getting back into the swing of things. There will be a proper update (and a new screenie hopefully!) on Sunday. :)

#39 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:00 AM

As my best friend would say: "There better be, mister!" :D :P

#40 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

A little later than promised (ahem!), but here is a provisional Korgan-Chrysta banter screenshot. Better late than never! (I hope...)

Posted Image