Edwin's Endless Supply of Locks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -Kestenvarn-

-Kestenvarn-

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

To start off, I'm not very experienced with modding in general, but I believe I installed everything correctly - and with the latest version of the Edwin pack. The only other mod I have installed is the NPC Banter Pack.

I delayed the second appearance of Degardan until Chapter 6 by heading into the Underdark early - my first time through the game, so I wasn't sure how slowly to progress.

After I returned to the surface and Edwin was restored, he started acting flaky... some of the talks seemed to progress as normal, but it must have skipped some since he was suddenly acting like I had kissed him one time. There were also a few banters that were completely blank and you couldn't see what the characters were saying, like one Korgan/Imoen/Edwin chat. He also still says the scrambled eggs thing when you talk to him on your own.

Anyway, the final sputter the romance has come to is when you accept the lock of hair as a present and confirm his love. It's stuck on that at the moment... he keeps repeating himself periodically after I say yes.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems. Will he be okay when I head into Chapter 7 and ToB? If I say no, will he progress? (I don't want to say no, but I will if I have to...)

Is there anyway I can snap him out of it, short of starting over from an earlier chapter and hoping it works then?

#2 Nebukad

Nebukad
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:43 AM

After I returned to the surface and Edwin was restored, he started acting flaky... some of the talks seemed to progress as normal, but it must have skipped some since he was suddenly acting like I had kissed him one time. There were also a few banters that were completely blank and you couldn't see what the characters were saying, like one Korgan/Imoen/Edwin chat. He also still says the scrambled eggs thing when you talk to him on your own.

Anyway, the final sputter the romance has come to is when you accept the lock of hair as a present and confirm his love. It's stuck on that at the moment... he keeps repeating himself periodically after I say yes.

View Post

Could you check the value of global EdwinRomanceActive? It should be set to 2 in the kiss dialogue, that was apparently missed for some reason, and if it isn't, setting it to the correct value might fix at least some of the problems. I can't even guess what might be causing the blank dialogues, though.

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:01 AM

Could you check the value of global EdwinRomanceActive? It should be set to 2 in the kiss dialogue, that was apparently missed for some reason, and if it isn't, setting it to the correct value might fix at least some of the problems. I can't even guess what might be causing the blank dialogues, though.

View Post

No idea how to check something like that. I'm a beginner to this stuff...

Also, I forgot to add that Edwin was never kidnapped by Bodhi. That might be part of it.

#4 -Kestenvarn-

-Kestenvarn-

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

Err, the above was me.

Anyways, I was thinking of uninstalling everything and reloading it, but not to include the NPC Banter Pack this time. Even though it said that was one of the compatible mods in the readme, I might have found a way to screw it up.

#5 Nebukad

Nebukad
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

No idea how to check something like that. I'm a beginner to this stuff...

Also, I forgot to add that Edwin was never kidnapped by Bodhi. That might be part of it.

View Post

If he wasn't kidnapped, the kiss dialogue being skipped almost certainly messed something up.

If you know how to activate CLUAConsole, you can check the global by typing CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole can usually (depending on version of the game) be activated by adding "Debug mode=1" (without the quotation marks) to the end of [program options] in baldur.ini and then pressing Ctrl-Spacebar in the game. Then just typing the aforementioned line to the text box should do the trick.

If it gives the value as something other than 2 (probably 1), typing CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("EdwinRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) should keep the dialogue from repeating itself. Emphasis on should.

By the way, I'd like to find out why the kiss dialogue never took place. Did Edwin say anything at all immediately after being turned back to his original from?

#6 -Kestenvarn-

-Kestenvarn-

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:53 AM

Okay, I'll try that out.

After leaving the Underdark, I headed to Small Tooth Pass, which is where I ran into Degardan. After his restoration, Edwin did his gloating chat and was referring to everyone as monkeys again. I don't remember him saying anything else until his next romance chat rolled around.

Maybe going into the Underdark early screws up his romance scripts?

(PS. Something funny I was goofing around with is that you can kill Degardan through the use of sequencers and/or magic missiles before he gets his spell off, locking Edwin in his cursed form. Didn't bother saving that, though - wanted the story to progress as normal.)

#7 -Kestenvarn-

-Kestenvarn-

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

Thanks, that fixed it up nice. Do you know if missing the vampire part of the storyline will have any negative effects later on?