dialogue bug

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:25 AM

hi there.

i wanted to install BGT along with some minor mods/tweaks. i got a german BG1 + TOTSC and an english BG2 with german addon (this works fine, standalone).

so i did fresh full installations for both games on the same HDD and applied the recommended (latest) patches for both.
after that i ran the 0.94b installer and i am sure the installation was successful (no error messages and it took a LONG time to finish).
now i tried to install some tweaks (could this have broken it?):
- ease of use for bg2 in bg2 folder (nearly all components - yet none had to do with language/dialogue improvements)
- ease of use for bg1 in bg1 folder (complete)
- itemupgrade mod (bg2)
- spell50 mod

i could sucessfully start a game and access bg1 from the bg2 singleplayer menu. i flashed back to candlekeep and all looked good besides : my bg1 was in english suddenly! i liked it. clicked a green monk but he had a gnoll voice and no text ... shank and carbos were flaming fist soldiers ... and so on. no quest was broken but all dialogues for both me and all NPCs.

anyone got an idea whats the cause for this and if it could be fixed ?
do i have to reinstall everything ?
do i have to leave the minor mods out ?
do i have to buy a german bg2 or english bg1+totsc+tob ?

thx for your help.

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:22 PM

hi there.

i wanted to install BGT along with some minor mods/tweaks. i got a german BG1 + TOTSC and an english BG2 with german addon (this works fine, standalone).

so i did fresh full installations for both games on the same HDD and applied the recommended (latest) patches for both.
after that i ran the 0.94b installer and i am sure the installation was successful (no error messages and it took a LONG time to finish).
now i tried to install some tweaks (could this have broken it?):
- ease of use for bg2 in bg2 folder (nearly all components - yet none had to do with language/dialogue improvements)
- ease of use for bg1 in bg1 folder (complete)
- itemupgrade mod (bg2)
- spell50 mod

i could sucessfully start a game and access bg1 from the bg2 singleplayer menu. i flashed back to candlekeep and all looked good besides : my bg1 was in english suddenly! i liked it. clicked a green monk but he had a gnoll voice and no text ... shank and carbos were flaming fist soldiers ... and so on. no quest was broken but all dialogues for both me and all NPCs.

anyone got an idea whats the cause for this and if it could be fixed ?
do i have to reinstall everything ?
do i have to leave the minor mods out ?
do i have to buy a german bg2 or english bg1+totsc+tob ?

thx for your help.

View Post

An english BG1 would be expected in this case, but not for the new version because it will draw directly upon the StrRefs from BG1. But I am unsure as to why such a thing you describe could happen. Try uninstalling the minor mods (especially BOTH Ease-Of-Uses -- e.g. the installation instructions do specifically say to have a CLEAN install of BG1, whicih means no BG1 mods allowed) and checking again if it works.

Otherwise with 0.94b there shouldn't be a problem with different languages.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

All of BGT (both original and the new Weidu version) are built with only English text. Not sure what problems this can cause if you use another language as your base.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#4 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:10 PM

ok thx for your tipps.i remember any of those WEIDU mods saying dialogue.tlk created upon completion of installation.

will give you feedback.

EDIT: that didnt help. i'll try uninstalling everything and reinstall just the recommended things.

EDIT2: i have uninstalled everything and installed BG1+Addon and BG2+Addon, both patched to the recommended versions. i installed BGT and patched it to 1.14, then to 1.15. i still got the same issue so i guess its my german BG ...

any idea how to un-german it ? after all, its a translation so perhaps i would just need 2-3 original files to replace mine (like dialogue.tlk?)?

EDIT3: close to fixing the problem. a) i forgot to type Ctrl-Z after i entered my baldurs gate path. B) i havent applied the 1.14 and 1.15 patch yet. the base version of BGT works fine for me. i'll now try to patch it and will give feedback later for future reference.

EDIT4: and here we go. it looks like all my trouble came from leaving out the Ctrl-Z. i have successfully patched to 1.15 and my german BG1 is now english which is most appreciated. a double thx to the creators of this mod!

Edited by Bloodtitan, 14 June 2005 - 04:52 AM.

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:01 PM

ok thx for your tipps.i remember any of those WEIDU mods saying dialogue.tlk created upon completion of installation.

will give you feedback.

EDIT: that didnt help. i'll try uninstalling everything and reinstall just the recommended things.

EDIT2: i have uninstalled everything and installed BG1+Addon and BG2+Addon, both patched to the recommended versions. i installed BGT and patched it to 1.14, then to 1.15. i still got the same issue so i guess its my german BG ...

any idea how to un-german it ? after all, its a translation so perhaps i would just need 2-3 original files to replace mine (like dialogue.tlk?)?

EDIT3: close to fixing the problem. a) i forgot to type Ctrl-Z after i entered my baldurs gate path. B) i havent applied the 1.14 and 1.15 patch yet. the base version of BGT works fine for me. i'll now try to patch it and will give feedback later for future reference.

EDIT4: and here we go. it looks like all my trouble came from leaving out the Ctrl-Z. i have successfully patched to 1.15 and my german BG1 is now english which is most appreciated. a double thx to the creators of this mod!

View Post

Good work...and I see you were using bgt_mk_112 instead of BGT-WeiDU. I guess its hard to be clear of these things then.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#6 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:40 PM

uhm ... not sure what you mean but i dont have such a file on my PC. i used BGT094b-Install. do you imply i didnt have to patch that?

#7 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:55 PM

uhm ... not sure what you mean but i dont have such a file on my PC. i used BGT094b-Install. do you imply i didnt have to patch that?

View Post

If you use BGT094b-Install, you don't require any BGT 1.14 or 1.15 patch because they were for the really really big install.

--------------
Retired Modder