Photo

BGT/TuTu merger discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
96 replies to this topic

#81 Borsook

Borsook
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

Wasn't Domi's position in the original thread not similar to Vlad's?

Domi expressed doubts, and how making another compatibility work sounds to her, not an infantile bunch of "bgt-rocks, don't touch it" stuff

If the first, people will just continue playing the old BGT and Tutu - discontinued support or not, remember both are perfectly playable right now anyway.

they are playable, no doubts here, but I wouldn't agree about perfectly, both are still full of small bugs which for some kill the joy of playing a bit

But: will the new merger indeed replace both platforms completely so that ALL (or at least a huge majority of the) players will from now on play the merger.

I still believe that if the merger should represnt a more quality product when compared to previous versions eventually 99% players/modders will switch to it.

#82 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

I think you underestimate the work necessary to make mods compatible with BGT, why are all these great modders sceptical about the project, because they fear a few days of work on a project they have been working on for many years now?

Spot on.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#83 kharan5876

kharan5876
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

I know that it takes an extreme ammount of effort. I'm not expecting it to be done in a few weeks. This project might take a year or more to do but I still think it would produce better results once the whole is done.

What I meant about the mods like TDD and Sos etc.. is that since they are installed first they might barely have to be touched because the compatability can be worked into the merger project itself. They already have code for it from BGT that could probably be copied and modified.

Still I don't know exactly how it all works. I am not a BG modder and am willing to accept being wrong if that is the case. But generally in programming this is how it comes to be.

Edited by kharan5876, 26 January 2006 - 12:58 PM.

#84 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:27 PM

Vlad Horred, Domi, King Diamond, essentially all modders who have ever touched either BGT or TuTu, would have to agree on the merger before it was created, ideally. I too, of course, sympathize with their claims: Modding to get around the same compatability issues for the third time is (correct me if I'm wrong) something like doing your homework thrice over.

Although the question about whether the merger will effectively replace the two existing version is utterly important, in the end, it will come down to what the moderators decide. As a player, I can only hope the community will see a joined effort, but if it doesn't happen, it is understandable.

But: will the new merger indeed replace both platforms completely so that ALL (or at least a huge majority of the) players will from now on play the merger.

I agree with Borsook. Although no one can answer this question for sure, as no can foresee such things, it is still plausible that a new, joined project will outshine the older ones. As no further bugfixes will be made to the older mods, and all the commercialing (can you say that?) done is for the merger, instead of the older versions, people will, in time, move on to the merger. Especially players and modders new to this modding community. The question is, how much time will it take for the merger to effectively replace it?

In a extension to the question you pose Thauron, one could add that it's also so a question of how the merger is presented. If the final product is a heap of crap, noone will download it, but if it's clearly an improvement to both TuTu and BGT, I'm 99% sure that it will, in time, replace both mods. But then again, it will take a joined effort to make sure it doesn't fail.

Edited by Grunker, 26 January 2006 - 01:39 PM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#85 -domi_ash-

-domi_ash-

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

As for removing the download, maybe just stating near the link that it's not recommened, I'm not for taking away the choice as such. And I believe part of the "no" people would change their minds if they got the working, well done merger into their hands (e.g. I really hope Domi would)

I am sorry if it will sound dissappointing, but I am a "done and over with" type of person. My years of working on BG1NPC were fueled by my wanting to play a "perfect" BG1 game with the talking characters. Now that I have done it, I doubt that I can mobilize myself to recode and, I emphasize, retest the whole mod. I have neither time, nor energy, nor enthusiasm left. My interests lie elsewhere.

For example, I would like at last to spend my time playing the games, and finish PST, IWD2 and start+finish Arcanum, KOTOR and NWN.

No, I never had time to play those. I have a family and a full-time job. My spare time is very limited, and will grow even more sparse in the future.

I had no time to play any other game but BG1/BG2 in the past 4 years. I'd like to play around with modding IWD2. I kept promissing myself that I will do it 'once BG1NPC and Kivan are done'. I am almost there now, and I am not going to give this enchanted free time away and do something that I don't want to do. TUTU4 is perfect as far as I am concerned.

Please, consider me out of the game for Tutology. I do not intend to install it. As for BG1NPC recoding, it will have to be someone else, hopefully Andyr. I trust that I had done sufficient amount of both writing and coding to bring this project to life. I am glad that people love it, but I want to do something different nowadays. Something new.

#86 Drew

Drew
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:32 PM

If you'll consent to having Andyr make the necessary tweaks for the project, then I'd say this bodes well for the fate of the merger. I, for one, am glad to see that, although you won't be involved in the merger (or the mass recoding), there won't be any hard feelings.

Edited by Drew, 30 January 2006 - 05:34 PM.

People who use, have once used, or ever intend to use the word "ginormous" in the future should be shot. They needn't be killed, though. Just shot.

#87 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

For example, I would like at last to spend my time playing the games, and finish PST, IWD2 and start+finish Arcanum, KOTOR and NWN.

Domi,

let me advice you against NWN...It's a very disappointing game... -_-

Edited by Salk, 30 January 2006 - 09:24 PM.

#88 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:13 AM

I was just thinking that - the multiplayer might be cool, but the single player storyline... (especially the one from the original NWN) Sometimes I was wondering if I was playing some sort of Diablo, not a RPG. :o

But we're getting seriously off topic here...

On the merger: if every author (or warden) of important mods, either agrees to take care of the compatibility him/herself or has someone to do that enormous load of work for them (either someone of the 'merger' team or someone else, I guess the project should be alright.) Sorry, if I sounded a bit too pessimistic or critical a few posts back - I wish the merger team the best of luck and 'the wind on their backs' ;) .

Edited by Thauron, 31 January 2006 - 01:20 AM.

#89 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:15 AM

Difference is that Diablo's role in the videogame system has always been clear and had no deep CRPGing ambitions whereas Neverwinter Nights had been presented like a revolution in the gendre...It failed miserably...

#90 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:16 AM

On the merger: if every author (or warden) of important mods, either agrees to take care of the compatibility him/herself or has someone to do that enormous load of work for them (either someone of the 'merger' team or someone else, I guess the project should be alright.) Sorry, if I sounded a bit too pessimistic or critical a few posts back - I wish the merger team the best of luck and 'the wind on their backs' ;) .

What makes you think the amount of required work will be "enormous"? It will be absolutely trivial in comparison to the project's total development time.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 31 January 2006 - 06:18 AM.

#91 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:54 AM

For the record, most issues that older large mods like TDD had when making them compatible with BGT were issues because of poorer coding in the mod itself e.g. not prefixing deathvariables (Xzar in TDD has Xzar as his death variable I believe, rather than TDDXzar) and filling up the song list.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#92 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

For the record, most issues that older large mods like TDD had when making them compatible with BGT were issues because of poorer coding in the mod itself e.g. not prefixing deathvariables (Xzar in TDD has Xzar as his death variable I believe, rather than TDDXzar) and filling up the song list.

XZARDD was the TDD DV, as was SHARTEDD, KIVANDD, etc. Only when BP-BGT came around did these change, and that was for continuity's sake. If the "DD" series did not successfully filter into TDD-weidu, then the blame would fall on me for placing the wrong files in the CRE folder. An error that can be corrected, as long as BGTutu (or whatever this merger deal is going to be called) accounts for this in its tp2 as well--"if" it plans on offering any additional BG1-->2 NPC continuity support whatsoever.

#93 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:08 PM

Sorry to say that, but you are WRONG. As you may notice "older large mods like TDD" have already been repackaged and revised and now they're perfectly compatible with BGT and have NO issues.

I suggest you just to install the latest versions and see it yourself instead of confusing ppl here...

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
----------------------------------------------
BP Animations Scheme

#94 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

Sorry to say that, but you are WRONG. As you may notice "older large mods like TDD" have already been repackaged and revised and now they're perfectly compatible with BGT and have NO issues.

I suggest you just to install the latest versions and see it yourself instead of confusing ppl here...

I was referring to the issues that were mentioned as 'large amounts of work during BGT's production'. This means that all that work will not have to be repeated post-merger.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#95 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

So, one year later in the future...

how is this project faring?

#96 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

There are a few issues about how to go about it to be sorted out. The problem has been meeting up together to talk about it. Otherwise, not much has happened, I'm afraid.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#97 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:08 AM

Trust bots to necropost deluxe.