• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:40 AM

I have it in my jacket pocket. Will install when I get home from work. :)

(It's good to have students who lets you borrow their games. :P)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#42 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:42 AM

Installed. Now to get playing...
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#43 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:55 AM

You borrowed it? :D Then just install a no-dvd fix and return the game. ;)

#44 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:16 AM

Hmm that no-dvd fix would be cool because I'm sooo laaazyyy. :D Do you have the url handy or shall I ask google?

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#45 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:19 AM

Hmm that no-dvd fix would be cool because I'm sooo laaazyyy. :D Do you have the url handy or shall I ask google?

Check gamecopyworld for the fix, I don't think it can be linked to directly.

#46 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:26 AM

Alright, thanks. I just hate searcing for no-cd / no-dvd fixes because they are usually on the kind of sites that are FILLED with all kind of crap.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#47 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:33 AM

Alright, thanks. I just hate searcing for no-cd / no-dvd fixes because they are usually on the kind of sites that are FILLED with all kind of crap.

That's why we use firefox and spyware & virus protection... heh. Yeah, anyway, the game performance picks up a bit because it doesn't need the dvd rolling in there.

#48 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

I hate being proved wrong except on very, very few occasions.

This one of them. Though I haven't played much, I like what I see. The monologue has evolved to a slight dialogue, which is very important to me, and the graphics has certainly improved. They're quite stunning.

*Get's back to the game*
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#49 -Eyvindr-

-Eyvindr-

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

I don't know. I've just finished it. And through I liked it in a kind of way, but there are MANY problems with it, and here are those I found the most anoying:

*Spoiler warning!*

I loved Morrowind, and Oblivion ha sindeed a stuning graphic, but there are SO many bugs in it, that the game is almost unenjoyable. There is no long quest that wouldn't be bugsy a bit - or more than a bit. The voice actors are nice, except that some of them plays without any empathy - for example when I told one of the guys that his father was a thief and was hiding in the forrest because he stole even from his own guild, he told me something that only angry people do. except that he told it on his very everyday voice...

The quests are highly improved, but there are many hack-and-slash and no-point kind thing within, just like: "hey bring me first 20, than 30, than 40 pcs from the rearest flower of the world if you want this potion done" I don't think that there is even that much of this flower within this game. There are serious probrems with the cross quests just like: this guy wanted me to steal something, and from that pint he did not want to speak with me anymor. This shouln't be a problem, but later he turned out to be one of the highest leveled fences for thieves, and you canrise ranks in the thieves guild only with selling stolen loot to your fances. Except of cours this guy still didn't want to tell me a fr*** word except that "Our Buisness is done. Good Bye!"

There are only 4 big factions, and the whole gamplay time is MUCH shorter than Morrowind was. The other factions has only 1 quest. In Morrowind you had 4 big houses and many-many big factions.

The loot is leveled loot. this is not supposed to be a problem since it wasn't one in Morrowind, but here EVEN the bandits, and cuttroaths has leveled loot, wich means that at level 20 every last bandit has the rearest glass or daedric armor and weapon, and are as storong as you. There were moments when I started to wonder: Hey, if everyone in Tamriel so strong then Why is it my little bosmer thief has to run up and down in oblivion, and get her ass kicked? <_<
Really, you can't feel yourself growing stronger.

Not to speak of the fact that both the loot and the enemy respawns after a while. I cleaned out the same ruin for 5 times, and found loot again and again in the once robed out coffins. What the heck? The dead missed their wine and sword so they went to the market and brought new ones? :blink:

I loved in Morrowind the "lost race history", and I loved the dwemer ruins. I just don't understand, why did they put the same in this game too, excep that they are not dwemer, but Aeylids. They has nice ruins, full of zombies, but may I ask WHY? There is no reason behind it, and it is pretty irritating to see that, hey: here is a ruin ONLY for me to loot. :P

I has a very good computer because it is used for programming, Oblivion runs perfectly on it on the highest resolution (ugh.. is this the right word?) but my friend has simplier but still a pretty good PC , and she has problems, when you have to work together with 2-3 guys because even her PC is too slow to handle it right. At the end of the main quest there is a war, where there are more than 20 soldier in every scene and around 20-30 monsters trying to gut only you, and the guy whom you protect, not to mention that 20m high guy and his axe who trys to chop your head down. I'm sure if Oblivion did not run perfectly on your PC before, when you had less men, than you won't be able to finish this quest.

Whenever you travel with anyone they has the anoying habit of jumping between you and the enemy you just fight with. And it's pretty anoying when you accidently kill the hier of the empire, or the prized son of the count who will have your head for it, not to mention that you have became a murderer - OK, you don't actually kill Martin, because the important people can't die so easily, but those who are not that important (just like the count's son) and still there, can die very easily by your own hand.

The dialoges are not monologes anymore, that's true, but you often has no choice at all. There are many places where you can say only 1 line - but indeed, it is you who choses that one out. When there are more choices, than it's between beeing a very stupid/evil, or beeing very good and wise. Why can't you be evil AND wise? These are still monologes, only they mask themsef to dialoges.

And one more thing about the story. I loved the main quest, but there is the same problem as with morrowind: Why the hack can't I join the other side? Must I always be the good one? Can't I ever say, hey save yourself if you want to be saved?
The only differerence in this is that, I found Martin and Jaufrey very simpathic, and I really wanted to help them, unlike in Morrowind, where when I was very bored I made fun about how many times can I kill Vivec without dying. There I felt bad for finishing the main quest, and so I did not do it after a while.

This game is not an RPG, only a very good hack-and-slash game with RPG feeling. And it is as if it is only half done. I has the feeling that they are trying to make it in sims2 style: you got a half game, and you can buy every last tiny expansion for the same price as the game...

Otherwise I liked Oblivion very much, a nice game, good graphic and so. It's worth to play at least once in a lifetime, but whoever wants to buy it sould wait untill they lower the prices, or the first patch appears.

#50 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

Oblivion is highly overrated. I finished the game in 2 weeks time. Only did the main quest line.

*spoilers*

once you've completed the main quest, its just a boring walk to each "new"location and whack a mob. Nothing special anymore

#51 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

Oblivion is highly overrated. I finished the game in 2 weeks time. Only did the main quest line.

*spoilers*

once you've completed the main quest, its just a boring walk to each "new"location and whack a mob. Nothing special anymore

That's why we use mods!

#52 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

I must admit, although I was excited at first, I ended up dropping it. The fact that the game was easier to complete if you stayed level 1 through the whole game was a complete joke :huh:

And the enhanced monologue just didn't cut it in the end.

BUT, it WAS better than Morrowind.

- Yahtzee

#53 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

*spoilers*

That's why we use mods!

Use mods to increase a overrated game's lifespan? I'd rather use mods that enhance a already "perfect" game. Not even mods can't fix this for Oblivion. IMO

#54 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:58 AM

Hrmm... I have similar thoughts on Oblivion, actually. IMO, it's not so much a RPG game, but more of an action game with built-in RPG parameters, little to no dialogue interaction (better than Morrowind, still not good), and rather dull and bland quests, of which 95% are of the Fed-Ex variety.

The main storyline is mediocre at the best of times, and its execution isn't all that good either. For example, the quest line that had you travel all over the place to help out each individual town was particularly grating: go there, close Oblivion gate. Go there, close Oblivion gate. Go there, and close... *sigh*

The only character in the game you can really sympathesize with, and that has any sort of depth is Martin, and even he is more of a cardboard character (lowly priest being actually a prince) than anything else. Most of the rest of 'em (I don't remember any other names), had no impact on me whatsoever.

In short: Oblivion improves over Morrowind on a few points, notably graphics, voiced dialogue, and fast travel. However, it still features a bland storyline, mostly bland characters and the (IMO) flunked 'learn by doing' system. In short, reasonably good, but certainly not all that great, and not for everyone.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#55 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:39 AM

I got to play it on a friends Xbox360 with a 41" plasma screen the graghics have stunning detail which for someone that hates 3D games has almost changed my mind for them. tho there was a ton of repetitive graphics. I also liked the dungeon lvl matched your lvl. more rooms the higher you were, ect.

the easier at lvl1 thing is kind of crapy :(

However the different things you can do in the game like making potions and repainring armor and weapons is cool. it is better than NWN

the worst thing in the game are the quests that have you run to another city to get a task just to run to another city do that task then run back to the original city to tell that you have finished that quest then you have to go back to one of the cities that you were just at to get another quest and start the running all over again (fighters guild quests)

If I were to make a recommendation to someone about it I'd say play it once and try to experence all it has to offer the first time around because the replay would not be as good (at least back to back replays)

Edited by Sir-Kill, 26 August 2006 - 04:51 AM.

Live Free Or Die

#56 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:59 AM

repainring armor

For a game that prides itself on being realistic, I think it is a little stupid to have to run around with 50-100 hammers, using 10-20 each time you repair you armor. That's alot of hammers :D

- Yahtzee

#57 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Use mods to increase a overrated game's lifespan? I'd rather use mods that enhance a already "perfect" game. Not even mods can't fix this for Oblivion. IMO

If something is already perfect, then by definition it can't be enhanced (you can't get better than perfect).

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 26 August 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#58 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

Perfecter? My new word.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#59 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

If something is already perfect, then by definition it can't be enhanced (you can't get better than perfect).

While this symbol: ", can be used to clarify that the meaning of the used word deviates somewhat from the original, in the context of the sentence.

Therefore, if by "perfect", Michel meant "as good as it can be within the limited timespan that the creators have had to make it", mods can indeed upgrade a "perfect" game ;)

- Yahtzee

#60 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:15 AM

Mods can make it a lot better... but if you're set on your opinion, nothing can make Oblivion feasible for you.