Photo

Expanded Thief Stronghold

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:59 AM

As Blucher's Expanded Thief Stronghold is notorious for breaking other mods are there any plans afoot (sorry reading Sherlock holmes at mo.) to WeiDu it and make it play with the BP family?

#2 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:28 AM

While the first couple of versions of this mod were in TBG format, Blucher himself converted it to WeiDU as of v2.0 (the most recent version is 2.8).

#3 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:31 AM

While the first couple of versions of this mod were in TBG format, Blucher himself converted it to WeiDU as of v2.0 (the most recent version is 2.8).

:doh: so where can it be found i only get links to the TBG download and does it still mess up a BP game or is the jury still out on that one?

actually i just found the right version but again whats the verdict on it damaging other mods???

Edited by wellunhappy, 19 June 2006 - 04:34 AM.

#4 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

I commented on the mod's likely compatibility with BGT or BP here.

I'ld been reading several recent comments about it breaking other mods, yet no one could ever explain exactly what it broke. So glad to learn that the concern comes from an older (pre-weidu?) version of the mod.

I've played the mod in a non-BGT/BP list and it runs excellently. What's really nice is that I use the Multiple Stronghold component in Ease-of-Use, so I get to play it no matter which class I use.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#5 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:58 AM

I commented on the mod's likely compatibility with BGT or BP here.

I'ld been reading several recent comments about it breaking other mods, yet no one could ever explain exactly what it broke. So glad to learn that the concern comes from an older (pre-weidu?) version of the mod.

I've played the mod in a non-BGT/BP list and it runs excellently. What's really nice is that I use the Multiple Stronghold component in Ease-of-Use, so I get to play it no matter which class I use.

okay but do you have to install the TDD patch as well for a full BP game. :whistling: and who do i scream at if it breaks my game :rolleyes:

#6 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

the problem with the expanded thief stronghold was not it's pre-weidu state, but the fact it overwrote area files - it shouldn't be incompatible with BP-weidu (as BP-weidu doesn't touch these files) but it may well be incompatible with any other mod that alters the same area files.

Azazello seems to have got it working without too much hassle, so the link he posted should at least give you a white list of mods known to work with both expanded thieves and BP. and no, you no longer need the TDD patch: that will break yr install!

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#7 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:00 PM

Just to clarify - the TBG format of the mod overwrote area files? Correct?

{Too lazy to look at the weidu-version TP2...}

#8 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

no, the weidu as well, from what i remember. it was before Cam, KD et al got obsessed with hex-patching, so it drops its own versions of relevant files into the override folder (altho i haven't got it to compare with, so i'm working from memory - i could well be wrong).

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#9 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:17 PM

You remember correctley. WeiDU version The Expanded Thief Stronghold overwrites (among number of other things) for example ar1005's (the prison) script.
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#10 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:48 AM

You remember correctley. WeiDU version The Expanded Thief Stronghold overwrites (among number of other things) for example ar1005's (the prison) script.

so basically don't install it :D

#11 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:14 AM

As long as you install it before any other mods which affect the same areas, everything should be fine.

#12 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:51 AM

As long as you install it before any other mods which affect the same areas, everything should be fine.

okay, so do you remember which mods affect the same areas?????????

#13 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:00 AM

I think that means "Just install it at the very beggining of your install"

#14 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:25 AM

I think that means "Just install it at the very beggining of your install"

:hug:

#15 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

okay, so do you remember which mods affect the same areas?????????

It does overwrite the prison area and script, AR1005. Umm, does any other mod affect this area? Does even a vanilla game do anything with the prison?

So before wellunhappy gets too nervous, I did the work and looked for what else is overwritten, areas and creatures. Blucher has a folder level called CopyOver, so it is simple to see what would conflict with other mods, or a default game. Don't get too hung up on the term 'CopyOver' - e.g. Blucher "copies over" the Narlen Darkwalk files, yet Narlen is not in the default game and I don't know of any other mod that adds him.

the area and script of prison in Athkatla government district (AR1005)

the "Guard House Assault" (AR0332, AR0333)
- I don't know of any mod that uses these areas, but hey...

Random encounters areas, city and wilderness (AR0041 - 46)

MaeVar's guild (ARE: AR0323, AR0324; BCS: AR0321 - 324)
- scripts and CRE of MaeVar and his "goons"
- looks to be changes made once you get the guild as a stronghold
BIG NOTE: I know from many playings that none of these changes interfere with the functioning of the normal MaeVar quests, including getting Edwin. Prove me wrong, I'll stand corrected.

There are other areas that are EXTEND_ed - not overwritten. I'll leave it to those interested to look at those themselves.

That is it. If someone else with more detailed knowledge of scripting wants to take a look, please do.

So follow the advice given in above post: if you have a mod that will change these areas or creatures, install Expanded Thief Stronghold before that mod.

Looks like the "Expanded Thief Stronghold breaks other mods" myth gets shattered once again.

Edited by Azazello, 23 June 2006 - 11:09 AM.

#16 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

It does overwrite the prison area and script, AR1005. Umm, does any other mod affect this area?

It's been a long while since I played it, but I seem to remember TDD making use of the prison. Something to do with Shar-Teel IIRC.

MaeVar's guild
- ARE: AR0323, AR0324; BCS: AR0321 - 324

This may very well conflict with the various thieves guild related things in Sim's Quest Pack.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 20 June 2006 - 10:07 AM.

#17 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

It does overwrite the prison area and script, AR1005. Umm, does any other mod affect this area?

It's been a long while since I played it, but I seem to remember TDD making use of the prison. Something to do with Shar-Teel IIRC.

*ding-ding-ding* We have a winner! Yes indeedy, Shar-teel is in the prison. So ETS must be installed "Pre-BPMods" in a BGT game.

MaeVar's guild - ARE: AR0323, AR0324; BCS: AR0321 - 324

This may very well conflict with the various thieves guild related things in Sim's Quest Pack.

D0Questpack has no reference to these areas.
However, it does extend the random encounters areas (AR0041 - 46) - if using the Misc. Enhancements component, and changes the scripts of MaeVar and his "goons" - if using the Additional Shadow Thieves Content component. So again, install ETS before D0's mod - if using either of those two components.

#18 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:30 AM

*ding-ding-ding* We have a winner! Yes indeedy, Shar-teel is in the prison. So ETS must be installed "Pre-BPMods" in a BGT game.

[/i].

Great work but isn't this what the TDD patch is for, its quoted as dealing with TDD's only issue :whistling:

update
this from the ETS stronghold patch readme
'This is experimental and un-tested! thats just what we wanna hear GB :woot:

This, hopefully, resolves an issue with the Darkest Day mod, specifically the part concerning the jail in the Gov't District.

Note: Install Darkest Day first, then the Thief Stronghold, then put the two files in this archive into the override.

GB'
upload files for you clever people to view
so whtcha think resolve or reinstall????

Attached Files

Edited by wellunhappy, 21 June 2006 - 04:08 AM.

#19 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:27 PM

Sweet! I didn't know about this. ETS stronghold patch readme - wtf. Where is that? Was there a post/thread about this? You or anyone got the link?

I'm gonna try them.

#20 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 June 2006 - 02:53 AM

Sweet! I didn't know about this. ETS stronghold patch readme - wtf. Where is that? Was there a post/thread about this? You or anyone got the link?

I'm gonna try them.

Link here chicken

Can you take at look at these files cos seanas says 'you no longer need the TDD patch: that will break yr install!

I don't really know what i'm looking for but it sounds pretty dangereous stuffff even GB says experimental :woot: