Photo

Finishing BG1, can BG2 mods be installed before/after the transition?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stark

Stark
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

Topic title should say it all...

Basically, I am running BGT, BP, and a couple of the BG1 mods(Dark side of the Sword Coast, Northern Tales of the Sword Coast, The Secret of Bone Hill, Lure of the Sirene's call). I am nearing the end of BG1, will likely have it completed by the weekend.

Can I install BG2 mods(TDD, SoS, CtB, TS) and still make the transition with my party from BG1 -> BG2? Or will I have to start a new BG2 game with the new install? I assume if I can continue my old game with the new mods that I'll have to keep the old mods installed.

Thanks.

#2 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

Interesting.

I do not have definitive answer, but I would install the BG2 mods just before my party spoke to what's-his-name at the Duchal Palace, before doing the transition.

Whichever you do, please keep us informed.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#3 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:00 AM

yeah, that is an interesting question... was there a reason why you didn't install those big mods back when you installed BP-BGT?

anyways... in theory, those mods you mention, being all fully weidu, should install properly at whatever point you choose to install them (including during the TOB part of a game - you'd just not see any of their content). however, they all use various biffing routines to manage the large volume of new data they add (ie, new areas, mostly). these biffing routines are based on the premise that yr installing those mods in the correct place (ie, before pretty much anything else has been installed), so it's possible that all sorts of freaky unanticipated things might occur. or not.

in theory what yr suggesting should work fine; in practice i wouldn't be doing it. if you do wish to install those other mods, make sure you got a save from the end of yr game (ie, just before re-entering the Duchal Palace after defeating Sarevok, having finished all the TotSC content). that way, if it all goes horribly wrong* , you'll be able to import yr character and start a new BG2 game, and proceed normally.

* where 'horribly wrong' might mean yr existing game doesn't work, but yr install is fine; but might also mean 'require a complete reinstall'.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#4 Stark

Stark
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:53 AM

yeah, that is an interesting question... was there a reason why you didn't install those big mods back when you installed BP-BGT?

Yeah. When I first installed everything, either I installed something incorrectly(likely) or the versions I was using were flaky.. long story short, I had to wipe everything then reinstall a second time, and then a third time because I had left the TOB cd in the drive(this should really be in the mega install instructions, btw. "After installing TOB, TAKE THE CD OUT OF THE DRIVE AND LEAVE THE DRIVE EMPTY UNTIL ALL INSTALLATIONS ARE COMPLETED!!!!!").

Anyhow, after the first install, where it took a *long* time for TDD, SoS, CtB, and TS to install, with none of them having content that I'd be playing during BG1, and also not knowing if my next install would work or if I'd have to reinstall again, I decided to go the minimum route and just install what I could play immediately.

So now that I'm finishing up, it would be nice to be able to get the BG2 mods installed and play those. :)

I'll give it a whirl and give a report. Though, as you said, some things may be unpredictable and assuming the game works and transitions to BG2, I may not notice some problems until they occur somewhere down the line.

*** Install question ***

Since these are weidu, as you mentioned, and can be installed anywhere, in theory...

Do you have a recommendation on install order?

Should I simply install the BG2 mods (TDD, SoS, CtB, and TS), then reinstall BP and the world map? Or should I copy the saved games folder, uninstall TOB and BG2, delete everything, then reinstall from scratch? And if I do this, does the order of install matter in so far as the original install went? Ie., shall I follow the new "mega install order" now?

Thanks.

#5 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:57 AM

<snip>
Do you have a recommendation on install order?

Should I simply install the BG2 mods (TDD, SoS, CtB, and TS), then reinstall BP and the world map? Or should I copy the saved games folder, uninstall TOB and BG2, delete everything, then reinstall from scratch? And if I do this, does the order of install matter in so far as the original install went? Ie., shall I follow the new "mega install order" now?

Thanks.

No need to reinstall BG2/ToB.

Assuming you have:

BG1 mods
BP
Worldmap

First, uninstall Worldmap, then BP.

Then install...

"pre-BP" BG2 mods as-per the megainstall
BP
Worldmap
mods
more mods
even more mods

Worldmap can go at the very end, but in truth it only depends on which mods you've installed before it.

#6 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

In any case it won't be possible to use BGT savegames (to make a transition for example) because they contain their own worldmap copy...

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
----------------------------------------------
BP Animations Scheme

#7 Stark

Stark
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:12 AM

Ah, so the new areas wouldn't be included? I was under the impression that the Worldmap v6.3 had all the areas already included for the major mods(TS, TDD, SoS, CtB)?

Granted, I don't have any clue how these things work. :P

#8 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:44 AM

Ah, so the new areas wouldn't be included? I was under the impression that the Worldmap v6.3 had all the areas already included for the major mods(TS, TDD, SoS, CtB)?

Granted, I don't have any clue how these things work. :P

The new worldmap does have all the areas. But a copy of the worldmap is saved in your save game so in order to see any of the areas added you would have to start a new game so the new worldmap could be copied to your save game.

ronin

#9 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

You can fix the worldmap in your save-games - just follow [these instructions] after doing all of your new installations. Tis better than having to start the game again.

If you're not familiar with using Near Infinity, get familiar.

Edited by Azazello, 02 November 2006 - 11:31 AM.

#10 Stark

Stark
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

You can fix the worldmap in your save-games - just follow [these instructions] after doing all of your new installations. Tis better than having to start the game again.

If you're not familiar with using Near Infinity, get familiar.

Ok then. Let me see if I got this right then...

The suggestion is to:

1. Finish BG1 and save a game just outside the Duchal palace.
2. Uninstall Worldmap and BP.
3. Install the mods (TDD, SoS, TS, CtB)
4. Reinstall BP
5. Reinstall Worldmap
6. Do the saved game/copy worldmap boogy to my last save.
7. Do the edit boogy on the worldmap file in my last saved game.
8. Load my saved game, enter the Duchal palace, and be amazed that everything works.

Does this sound correct?