Comments On "Out of the Dark and the Mists

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:24 PM

Ooh NWN stuff. I must say I do hope this becomes a series. We have too few NWN serials. Anyways, it's a very god beginning and I look forward to seeing more soon.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#2 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

Oh YES!!! More Valen is always good and your character sounds really interesting. Hey, I love the opening. I really hope you're going to keep updating this. I read it really quickly since I'm at work but I'm going to go back and read it at a slower pace when I can.

#3 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:20 AM

Heh, I got to admit, DalreiDal... I haven't really played much of NWN so I don't really know the context of your story, but it was wonderfully written. The characters literally came alive under your writing, and I just loved the last part. A truly, truly excellent piece of work from your department!

Edited by Shadowhawke, 12 January 2007 - 04:37 AM.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#4 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hey, thanks a lot to you three :) I'm glad no one sent me down in flames for daring to write fanfic about a game like NWN and about a character like Valen :D I'm just back with another chapter (you see, Celestine, no need to worry, I'll keep updating this)...
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#5 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:41 AM

Hooray for the new chapter. Hehe, it was amusing to read your char and Valen match wits and sarcasm. That's real charming and I can definitely see Valen thinking thoughts you wrote. Awesome.

Keep writing.. I'll wait for the next installment with great anticipation. :D

#6 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:11 AM

Awesome :P. I loved Chama's teasing and Valen's reaction to it, that was simply classic. And your flowing writing really drew me in to Valen's character. I'm really looking forwards to more, DalreiDal :). Heck, reading this is even pushing me to digging out those NWN CDs...

#7 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:17 AM

I like the new chapter! I'm just worried that she'll have to get rid of Deekin, or perhaps Nathyrra, but mostly worried about Deekin.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#8 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

Heeeeeeeeeey... just figured out that "quote" function...

Hooray for the new chapter. Hehe, it was amusing to read your char and Valen match wits and sarcasm. That's real charming and I can definitely see Valen thinking thoughts you wrote. Awesome.

Keep writing.. I'll wait for the next installment with great anticipation. :D

Thanks Celestine :) I'm so happy you find my Valen believable. I wasn't sure he was harsh, high and mighty enough ;) More for you right after this.

Awesome :P. I loved Chama's teasing and Valen's reaction to it, that was simply classic. And your flowing writing really drew me in to Valen's character. I'm really looking forwards to more, DalreiDal :). Heck, reading this is even pushing me to digging out those NWN CDs...

Go on, Shadowhawke, you reallly should dig out those NWN CDs. The HotU expansion really was worth playing, and you didn't have to play anything else before, they started you right away at lvl 15, which was nice. And it really has the more interesting characters of the NWN series (Nathyrra the half-redeemed assassin, Valen the cliché alpha male tiefling with a troubled past, the soft-voiced calm and composed Seer...). And yep, I'm trying a bit more classic and already-done approach this time. I'll see how it turns out ;)

I like the new chapter! I'm just worried that she'll have to get rid of Deekin, or perhaps Nathyrra, but mostly worried about Deekin.

Don't worry, no one will get killed or ditched out of the party. There's plenty of Doom song singing and House infiltration to be done in Lith My'athar under Chama's orders, don't you think? :devil:

To you three, thanks a lot for the reviews :) It really warms my heart that you take the time to review my story. :hug:
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#9 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

Woohoo, great chapter and you put it up sooner too. I am so amused reading the exchanges between Chama and Valen, things should get interesting real soon. :P

One thing about starting directly in HOTU, you don't get Deekin, well, not a huge problem as I'm not overly fond of the kubold. He's ok, but his doom song grows old after a while.

#10 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

Wow, nice work, DalreiDal! You really brought NWN alive for me here. I agree with Celestine :P. It was incredibly enjoyable watching Valen and Chama interacting, and I also liked the whole realistic feel to your work. Just one thing that got my notice while I was reading;

She used what was left of cleaning power to her bath?s water to wash grossly her underclothes. The water turned a dirty and smelly grey. She sighed and twisted the cloth to squeeze water out of it.

Do you mean that her underclothes were 'gross' or that she was 'roughly' washing her underclothes? Sorry, just a little nitpick. Other than that, it really read very smoothly, and I'm eagerly looking forward to another chapter, especially one with more Valen-Chama interaction! ^_^

#11 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:49 AM

Wow, I must have received your two reviews in less than an hour... are you doing synchronized swimming in your free time!? ;)

Thanks a lot for reviewing!

Woohoo, great chapter and you put it up sooner too. I am so amused reading the exchanges between Chama and Valen, things should get interesting real soon. :P

One thing about starting directly in HOTU, you don't get Deekin, well, not a huge problem as I'm not overly fond of the kubold. He's ok, but his doom song grows old after a while.

Yep, I do hope things'll get interesting between Chama and Valen ;) About Deekin, though, even if you start directly in HotU you get him in your party, don't you? If it's you start at the 2nd chapter that you don't get him, and obviously Chama had to go from Waterdeep to the Underdark through Halaster's dungeon, so Deekin's still sticking by her. And I never found his Doom song growing old; each time he started, doom doom doom, doom doom dooooom I couldn't help but start laughing. Each time. And Valen and Deekin making a contest of fazing statements made me laugh too. It took Deekin to have Valen's sense of humour come to the surface, lol.

Wow, nice work, DalreiDal! You really brought NWN alive for me here. I agree with Celestine :P. It was incredibly enjoyable watching Valen and Chama interacting, and I also liked the whole realistic feel to your work. Just one thing that got my notice while I was reading;

She used what was left of cleaning power to her bath?s water to wash grossly her underclothes. The water turned a dirty and smelly grey. She sighed and twisted the cloth to squeeze water out of it.

Do you mean that her underclothes were 'gross' or that she was 'roughly' washing her underclothes? Sorry, just a little nitpick. Other than that, it really read very smoothly, and I'm eagerly looking forward to another chapter, especially one with more Valen-Chama interaction! ^_^

Oh, please, do nitpick. :) How am I going to see my mistakes otherwise? It's corrected now. Incidentally, I meant both that she "roughly" washed her clothes and that they were "gross", but it sounded bad to say both in the sentence, so I went with "roughly". I'm glad you found it a smooth read and that you've found the courage to read it even if you haven't played HotU. I could post a summary of the storyline up to Valen and Chama's meeting if you need it... I'm glad too that you noted the realistic feel, I really made an effort during revision to add descriptions of the place and try to give it a feel independently from the visual experience of the game.

Thanks for your reviews :) Next chapter up by early next week if everything goes as planned... and it should, end of semester looms a few months away still, lol. (Sigh, am I ever going to get out of school?)

#12 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

No..
Yes..

:ROFL: That one just makes me laugh. Good job, DalreïDal. Valen, still is Valen and you did great portraying him.

#13 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hey Celestine!

Thanks a lot for the review :wub: It's nice to know you're still reading this and liking my Valen :)

#14 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

:lol: Awesome work, DalreiDal! Yes, Valen is really becoming a favourite character with me here too... be careful, DalreiDal... you keep going on like this and I'll be forced to actually play NWN! :P.
Also, just as a question, is finding food for Deekin usually a problem in the game? I thought Valen's reaction to it was rather amusing...
As always, looking forwards to another chapter! ^_^

#15 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

:lol: Awesome work, DalreiDal! Yes, Valen is really becoming a favourite character with me here too... be careful, DalreiDal... you keep going on like this and I'll be forced to actually play NWN! :P.

You probably should, but just HotU :) That depends on people, but it really bugged me that you couldn't get more than one henchmen in OC and SoU... Playing the mage, I took a warrior as henchmen, and I ended up walking in every trap and not being able to open a single locked door/chest. Hence playing the thief-mage (a FIRST ever multiclass char I've ever played... I usually can't stand the way they never seem to get those high level capabilities quickly enough for my tastes, but this time it was vital for my enjoyment to get the two sets of skills).

Er, digressions aside, I'm glad you're still reading this even if you didn't play the game. It's a kind of exploit to keep an interest in fanfiction about a topic you're not familiar with, eheh.

Also, just as a question, is finding food for Deekin usually a problem in the game? I thought Valen's reaction to it was rather amusing...
As always, looking forwards to another chapter! ^_^

You don't have to feed your chars in game. I just figured drow food would have to be somewhat exotic, and kobold, being reptiles, probably have some feeding preferences (or is that just my biologist nature speaking up? He's got to keep his metabolic rate up, running around and adventuring like that... It wouldn't do to cut his attacks/round in half just because he's slowed down to preserve energy. By the way, how does he fare in the Underdark without any sun to bask in? Must be a real pain digesting all that stuff he's got to eat...). As for Valen, well, he doesn't like babysitting much for now... eheh.

#16 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:26 AM

I always take the pixie familiar. Voila! No trap or lock problems. Alternatively you could take the panther and get a thief companion.

#17 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

Interesting suggestion. I used to take the panther because he can handle himself in battle (no need to babysit it too much, unlike, say, Xanos or Boddyknock) and even though he's good to spot traps, what good will that do me when he can't deactivate them? And he can't unlock anything either (although with Valen and his frightening 22 STR in party at the start of HotU, I admit that bashing doors isn't aaaall that tough or long). Although, if you get the panther and a thief, who's going to be the cannon fodder? And can the pixie unlock doors and disable traps?

Edited by DalreïDal, 25 January 2007 - 09:29 AM.

#18 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:24 AM

Pixie can do both as well as cast invisibility on herself at level 5+ She's also pretty good at finding hiding people iirc

#19 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

The Pixie works great for me since I almost always play a sorceror class. It was fun watching Valen bashing locked containers and doors too. hehe.

The two chapters are great. It is really interesting to read the banters between them. Keep writing, DalreïDal.

#20 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

Lol, when I got around playing HotU, the only other tiefling I knew of was Haer'Dalis from BG2, and let me tell you that I was kinda surprised about the amazing SIZE of Valen... I mean, I was expecting Haer'Dalis II, with his elf template, eheh. The second shock came when I opened Valen's char sheet and saw the stunning 22 there. Yep, effortlessly bashing doors is what that tiefling can do...

Anyway, thanks a lot for the review, Celestine :) I kinda like writing the banter, I mean, they're a team, aren't they?