Photo

Comments On "Out of the Dark and the Mists

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#41 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hey Celestine, thanks a lot for the review :)

Great chapter as always, DalreïDal. :) Its good to see Valen sort of accepted Chama. I see the drow wizard as comic relief, not sure if that's what you intended him to be.

Well, not exactly. I did see some sort of dark humour in his character, but not quite outright comic relief, lol. Although I can't complain.

Just a random question which pops out of my head so I reckon I'll ask anyway, hope you don't mind. :) Do you think the wizard really likes Chama? IIRC, the wizard (sorry, I kept forgetting his name) seems to be of an evil-alignment, typical of drow. And usually drow hates surface elves. I can see that he is in awe of Chama's spellcasting abilities, but not sure if its enough to want to bed her.

I don't mind at all you asking :) Although I won't tell you if I think he really likes Chama, since I know quite well what is on his mind ;) And yes, you remember correctly: Gulhrys is neutral evil (which is why I put in some lines when Chama speaks of their dinner regarding his despicable attitude of "I'm going to save my own skin and let House Mae'viir sink without me if it comes to that"). Hm, I admit I hadn't thought of that little detail of drow hating surface elves... It's just that Gulhrys' condescendance in-game just grated on my nerves so much that I decided to humble him a bit in my fic by smiting him with awe facing Chama's wizardry knowledge. I hope that his arrogance in his own accomplishments as a mage and his attraction to a female who could best him (while wizardry is typically a male drow occupation, isn't it?) are not too out of character for a drow?

I plan to do a bit of definition for Gulhrys' character later on, though.
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#42 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

Cool, thanks for answering my question. Yeah, wizardry is indeed a typical male drow profession and perhaps fighter as well. :) Looking forward to the next chapter.

#43 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

Cool, thanks for answering my question.

No problem :)

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Heeeere iiiit cooomes!!!
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#44 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

Just read all of it today.
Hmm. Intresting, most intresting.
I kind of, liked it, yeh.

Only one thing kept poking at my eyes; as a non-NWN player, i sometimes felt the environment was skipped with too short a mention.
Without a good image of the surroundings and the atmosphere the dungeon crawling parts felt more like event logs. :o

But yaa, goodie good, thumbs up.

#45 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:45 PM

I always enjoy the part of the romance where Chama earns Valen's trust and respect. Reading through the Valen's familiar lines, it reminds me of Valen's voice when I play Hotu. I really like his deep voice.

Think you got a typo for 'spell' in one of Valen's lines, the one he said he was summoned to fight against the Seer. I know I've said before, but keep writing. :)

#46 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:32 AM

Hey DalreiDal! I just got back from reading your last chapter. I am so incredibly sorry I haven't reviewed in a while; believe it or not, but I was actually unable to post on my laptop for the last few weeks because of some problems with Internet Explorer. Luckily, wonderful old Firefox saved me, so here I am again to tell you how much I enjoyed your last two chapters. I especially think it's *so* cute how Valen's being jealous over Gulhry's actions (at least that's the way I'm interpreting it :P). But Valen recounting his history was probably what got me. That scene between him and Chama was absolutely beautiful, and since I haven't played HoTU, it really fleshed out the character for me. So yeah. Awesome work, DalreiDal! I'm really, really looking forwards to more. ^_^

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#47 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:38 AM

Heeeey... three reviews in a row... I'm really feeling pampered right now :)

Just read all of it today.
Hmm. Intresting, most intresting.
I kind of, liked it, yeh.

Only one thing kept poking at my eyes; as a non-NWN player, i sometimes felt the environment was skipped with too short a mention.
Without a good image of the surroundings and the atmosphere the dungeon crawling parts felt more like event logs. :o

But yaa, goodie good, thumbs up.

Hello WeeRLegion!

It's been a while since we saw you around... glad to see you back :) Thanks for taking the time to post a review :) I'm glad you liked my story even though you never played NWN. As for the "event logs feeling" about the dungeon crawling parts, well, er, sorry, but that was rather voluntary. You know, with the already awfully long word count of my story, and assuming that only NWN players were going to read it (doh), I thought it better to skip lengthy descriptions of the missions. Although I could make an effort to put in more descriptions... my weakness, that. Describing places would not be too redundant, I think.

I always enjoy the part of the romance where Chama earns Valen's trust and respect. Reading through the Valen's familiar lines, it reminds me of Valen's voice when I play Hotu. I really like his deep voice.

Think you got a typo for 'spell' in one of Valen's lines, the one he said he was summoned to fight against the Seer. I know I've said before, but keep writing. :)

Hey Celestine!
Yeah, me too I really liked that part of the romance (however brief it is, *snort*). And you've got a mate here who likes Valen's voice enough to... well... I'd really rather not say ;) Although the best voice acting ever in a game was, in my opinion, Aarin. Damn, that voice... *swoon*. Although a voice so soft and flowing wouldn't have fitten Valen... he was better with his deep, rough voice, which was also excellent. (Btw, I think the Seer too had an excellent voicing)

I'll check that typo right away, thanks for the report :)

Thanks a lot for the good words, and you know you can always repeat "keep writing", it will always make me smile and encourage me to do exactly that :hug:

Hey DalreiDal! I just got back from reading your last chapter. I am so incredibly sorry I haven't reviewed in a while; believe it or not, but I was actually unable to post on my laptop for the last few weeks because of some problems with Internet Explorer. Luckily, wonderful old Firefox saved me, so here I am again to tell you how much I enjoyed your last two chapters. I especially think it's *so* cute how Valen's being jealous over Gulhry's actions (at least that's the way I'm interpreting it :P). But Valen recounting his history was probably what got me. That scene between him and Chama was absolutely beautiful, and since I haven't played HoTU, it really fleshed out the character for me. So yeah. Awesome work, DalreiDal! I'm really, really looking forwards to more. ^_^

Welcome back Shadowhawke! It's true that we haven't seen you writing anything here for a while, and I'm glad to know you were rescued by Firefox... I admit I don't know where to begin to answer your review, it seems you put so much good words in it, lol.

Yep, you interpret right ;) Valen is jealous over Gulhrys' actions... although he's not quite ready to admit it to himself... but it will come. Soon ;) I'm glad you think it was cute. It's always hard to have a distrustful half-demon being cute without falling into unbelievable fiction.

I wish I could take credit for Valen recounting his history, but that was part of the game dialog... although my interpretation of the dialog is there...

Thanks a lot for the review :)

Another chapter next week :)

#48 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:26 PM

Lacking any precise overall ideas for suggestions and criticism, i guess i'll just start with saying that the fresh chapter seems to be keeping with the overall good line of the earlier pieces...
And having said that, i'll now proceed to cutting apart the story, itty bitty tiny piece by piece, just to give this post a slightly higher amount of meaningful content...

Valen looked at her blandly. ?I wouldn?t know.?

?Well, yes, that?s possible,? Nathyrra agreed. ?Although I don?t know what particular artefact would have this power.?

Ha, Nathyrra agrees that Valen doesn't know! :o
(this is serious... :ph34r: )

They searched the island. They found Shaori in a cave just a little further behind the library; she did not shed much light on what happened, but she did demonstrate that she was no longer a queen and she informed them of the presence of the Valsharess? agents on the isle.

Chama, Nathyrra and Valen found the piece of glass belonging to the merchant in the thrash Chama had noticed, the one guarded by the medusa in the library, then another one in the mage?s tower, and finally they made their way towards the temple and the palace, although Chama decided that they should visit the temple first, trying to recover as many pieces of glass as they could before risking an encounter with Sabal.

"THE one guarded by THE medusa..."

Now this is intresting. The use of the word THE. :P
It feels kind of uninspired, it gives off this "I'm writing just another version of the story we all know, you know what i'm talking about, aye?" feeling. :P

I'm not saying that you should describe everything in minute detail, and even if i did, it'd be a matter of taste anyway, but you know, isn't the point of a story to immerse the reader in the world?
My opinion is that this kind of "In" references should be avoided. :ph34r:

They were walking in a narrow ravine between the palace and temple, when suddenly drow poisoned arrows flew at them from all sides, from the top of the cliffs on each side of them. Nathyrra and Valen sprung forward and ran across the deep ravine; there had to be a way somewhere to get up, if the assassins were there.

(Another SSERIOUSSS comment)
IF the assasins were there? Was there ever a shred of doubdt about that at some point? :crying:

?Stay together, don?t be overrun! On the left side, that?s the spellcasters? side!?, Chama yelled behind them. She had not moved, and Valen heard the familiar magical sound of the ground crawling up her body to cover her in skins of stone.

Since they were facing archers bowyers and what not, wouldn't the more logical risk be to be turned into pincushions instead of getting overrun?
(Eeep... :ph34r: )

Valen knew this ambush had a good chance of success. Mass spells would be hard to use for Chama, with enemies scattered about like this. Nathyrra?s stealth was useless, and he would lose a lot of time running after them. And, more importantly, the weakest member of the team, the spellcaster, was standing in the middle of the ravine, a target of choice for arrows and bolts as she cast. Her stoneskins would not hold for long.

Ohhh, but do we not already know that Chams is the weakest member of the team as well as being a spellcaster? The repetition seems to be redundant! :devil:

Drow tried to block his way when he started climbing the narrow passage leading up the cliff. Even with the disadvantage of the slope, however, he was still big and strong enough to drive the three warriors back. He laughed as he fought, each swing hitting true, and keeping them distracted so Nathyrra could place a few devastating sneak attacks.

I would have included the reference to the numbers of the way-blockers in the very beginning... ^_^

The two companions exchanged a look, panting; it was the first time they were given to see the full extent of Chama?s offensive powers on something else than a practice rock. She had never used so much spells at a time before, careful not to catch her companions in the area of effect of her spells. Silently, they got down from the cliff, where Chama was still standing. A dozen of bolts and arrows were embedded in her chest, abdomen, and legs. A good amount of her blood was pouring from her wounds. Valen tried not to pay too much attention to that, despite the demon begging for destruction within.

Were the arrows embedded in her chest, or maybe mostly the stoneskin? :huh:
Just thinking, even Boromir went down with just three. :P

?Not him,? she agreed calmly, ?but I do have to spare the person he can turn back into.?

Aww, she's such an saint. :crying:

?Now let us leave. I want nothing more to do with this place of poison and lies.?

Awww! Really, she should be a paladin. ^_^

Me, myself, sorry, i'm so terribly mean; it is a nice piece of writing, probably better at least than most of mine.
At this point my internet connection begins bugging things up, so i'll take some necessary measures and post what i have here thus far. :cheers:

#49 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:28 AM

*dies of elation*

Okay, perhaps that's slightly exaggerated, but I don't really know how to explain the sense of happiness I get when I read a very nice piece of character interaction ^_^. Weird, I know. Or rather, when I read and identify with a character's musings. I absolutely loved Valen in this chapter. Heck, I loved the entire thing. :). The only factor I might ask you to look at, I'm afraid, is the same one that WeeRLegion commented on. Since I haven't played HoTU, a little more background would have been nice, just to explain what had happened to the Avariel and what this shards of glass business was about. Other than that, I had no problems at all with this chapter.

And yes, I repeat again. Valen was *so* awesome. :) ^_^. Really looking forwards to another chapter now :P

#50 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hey sorry for the delay in reacting and answering to your reviews... Been working, eating, sleeping, and then when I got two minutes I went birding two days... no computer time for me last week.

First, to WeeRLegion: thanks a lot for that review. It's high-quality feedback for sure and it's been helpful. Now I'll adress each of your comments more or less one by one:

Valen looked at her blandly. ?I wouldn?t know.?

?Well, yes, that?s possible,? Nathyrra agreed. ?Although I don?t know what particular artefact would have this power.?

Ha, Nathyrra agrees that Valen doesn't know!
(this is serious... )

Er, well, you're right... so I changed it, switched Valen's comment to be after Nat's so there won't be any confusion.

"THE one guarded by THE medusa..."

Now this is intresting. The use of the word THE.
It feels kind of uninspired, it gives off this "I'm writing just another version of the story we all know, you know what i'm talking about, aye?" feeling.

I'm not saying that you should describe everything in minute detail, and even if i did, it'd be a matter of taste anyway, but you know, isn't the point of a story to immerse the reader in the world?
My opinion is that this kind of "In" references should be avoided.

OK, point taken. I admit I'm too lazy to include a big "context" paragraph in last chapter, since it would require painful, extensive and careful editing so it wouldn't stick out as such. Though I promise to be more careful in next chapters.

They were walking in a narrow ravine between the palace and temple, when suddenly drow poisoned arrows flew at them from all sides, from the top of the cliffs on each side of them. Nathyrra and Valen sprung forward and ran across the deep ravine; there had to be a way somewhere to get up, if the assassins were there.

(Another SSERIOUSSS comment)
IF the assasins were there? Was there ever a shred of doubdt about that at some point? :crying:

:wacko: Right. Changed "if" for "since", although now instead of doubting my sanity I doubt my mastery of English. Can you use "since" in that sense in English???

?Stay together, don?t be overrun! On the left side, that?s the spellcasters? side!?, Chama yelled behind them. She had not moved, and Valen heard the familiar magical sound of the ground crawling up her body to cover her in skins of stone.

Since they were facing archers bowyers and what not, wouldn't the more logical risk be to be turned into pincushions instead of getting overrun?
(Eeep... )

Since the archers typically switch to longsword when you get within range, well, no. I know Valen got overrun and died the first time I went there for this ambush. I sent him on the wrong side and he got overrun by drow warriors; usually he's a killing machine and can hold his ground facing like five or six of those at a time, but with Sabal casting nasty things at him from the security of the other side and the Red Sisters poisonning him... Poor tiefling went for an express journey to the Abyss. Is it necessary to explain why Valen won't be turned into a pincushion?

Valen knew this ambush had a good chance of success. Mass spells would be hard to use for Chama, with enemies scattered about like this. Nathyrra?s stealth was useless, and he would lose a lot of time running after them. And, more importantly, the weakest member of the team, the spellcaster, was standing in the middle of the ravine, a target of choice for arrows and bolts as she cast. Her stoneskins would not hold for long.

Ohhh, but do we not already know that Chams is the weakest member of the team as well as being a spellcaster? The repetition seems to be redundant!

Right. Removed the "the spellcaster". It's just that I meant to say that, in addition to being the weakest, Chama was the spellcaster and, if she went down, they were without firepower. Although that's not really necessary and probably a bad thing to be redundant, so the verdict: removed.

Drow tried to block his way when he started climbing the narrow passage leading up the cliff. Even with the disadvantage of the slope, however, he was still big and strong enough to drive the three warriors back. He laughed as he fought, each swing hitting true, and keeping them distracted so Nathyrra could place a few devastating sneak attacks.

I would have included the reference to the numbers of the way-blockers in the very beginning...

Done. Right too on that one.

A dozen of bolts and arrows were embedded in her chest, abdomen, and legs. A good amount of her blood was pouring from her wounds. Valen tried not to pay too much attention to that, despite the demon begging for destruction within.

Were the arrows embedded in her chest, or maybe mostly the stoneskin?
Just thinking, even Boromir went down with just three.

Yes, I know. *Silence while I consider the matter* You know, I think that's not a problem with my writing, I think it's a problem with AD&D (I hope I won't be hanged for daring to say such an heretic thing as that AD&D has weaknesses): by the time you get to HotU, you're about lvl 22 and you've got, like, 90 hp even with a character like Chama who's got CON 8. With 90 hp, you don't go down with three arrows. Which brings us back to the fact that AD&D is not much realistic in that regard. Although dying and rerolling characters all the time as in other game systems isn't necessarily more enjoyable. Seeing that the game is what it is, and that I didn't know how to change the sentence to insinuate that maybe her stoneskins might have saved her, I think it'll stay the way it is. But I'm open for suggestions :)

?Not him,? she agreed calmly, ?but I do have to spare the person he can turn back into.?

Aww, she's such an saint. :crying:

?Now let us leave. I want nothing more to do with this place of poison and lies.?

Awww! Really, she should be a paladin. ^_^

LOL. Yep... Dark impulses better than held at bay for now, but there's still going to be some self-questionning in this story, don't worry :) A paladin wouldn't have fitted with what I have in mind for Chama's background, but I figured there was no reason why not to enjoy writing the clichéd remarks of a thoroughly good character.

Me, myself, sorry, i'm so terribly mean; it is a nice piece of writing, probably better at least than most of mine.
At this point my internet connection begins bugging things up, so i'll take some necessary measures and post what i have here thus far. :cheers:

That wasn't mean at all :) It's been very constructive and I thank you for it. Your contribution has made last chapter better.

*dies of elation*

Okay, perhaps that's slightly exaggerated, but I don't really know how to explain the sense of happiness I get when I read a very nice piece of character interaction ^_^. Weird, I know. Or rather, when I read and identify with a character's musings. I absolutely loved Valen in this chapter. Heck, I loved the entire thing. :). The only factor I might ask you to look at, I'm afraid, is the same one that WeeRLegion commented on. Since I haven't played HoTU, a little more background would have been nice, just to explain what had happened to the Avariel and what this shards of glass business was about. Other than that, I had no problems at all with this chapter.

And yes, I repeat again. Valen was *so* awesome. :) . Really looking forwards to another chapter now

LOL, I'm glad you didn't really die, because I just seek to bring some entertainment with my writing... My ambitions aren't as high as bearing a death on my conscience, eheh. I'm really glad you liked last chapter, though. Valen's slow gain of trust, his insight into the Blood Wars and the influence it has on his character are what made me like him so much, and I felt that I could understand him enough to write about him... I'm glad I can communicate that liking with someone else :)

As for the background, I promise it will be better in the next chapter. (Or, well, at least I will try harder. I admit I didn't think I would get any readers unfamiliar with the storyline and didn't really make an effort to make you feel at home in this story. I promise to change that.)

Next chapter coming soon. I got a sunburn during my two days of birding (it's spring up here, and my skin's still aaaaaaaaaaall white from winter), so I'll have to stick to indoors for a few days to take care of myself...

#51 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:42 AM

I'm baack! :devil:

Chapter XIII. Valen?s confidences

Once the team had found all the shards of mirror that Sabal had not managed to get her hands on yet, they made their way to the palace to find the Valsharess? agent waiting for them there. The Valsharess? and the Seer?s factions being equally determined to secure for themselves the powerful artefact, whatever it was, that had pulled the avariel town down to the Underdark, Chama expected the battle to be bloody.

The meeting between the Fool, who acted as something of an arbiter, Sabal?s group and Chama?s team took place in the throne room of the palace. It was a large room with a high vaulted ceiling made of painted glass. While no doubt magnificent when lighted by the sun or the moon high in the clear air of the mountains where the avariel resided, it was gloomy and depressing in the greyish brownness of the Underdark. The high ceiling was supported by a series of eight pillars which Chama had noticed on her first visit to the palace to be radiating with magical energy.

This is sage advice that somebody once mentioned to me, i'm afraid i'ts been too long for me to remember in whose direction i should nod.

Anyway it goes something like: "Avoid the words Was and Were outside of dialog.
It's something that i try to stick with.

I'll make an example here:

The meeting between the Fool, who acted as something of an arbiter, Sabal?s group and Chama?s team took place in the high vaulted throne room of the palace. While the painted glass ceiling no doubt looked magnificent when lighted by the sun or the moon high in the clear air of the mountains where the avariel resided, but covered in the greyish brown dust of the Underdark, it only gave off a feeling of gloom and depression. A series of eight magic-radiating pillars supported the ceiling, Chama had noticed their function on her first visit.

Well, of course i overdid it there, lacing in my own writing style, but whatever. :wacko:

Anyway, the palace here is redundant, it seems safe enough to assume that the pillars hadn't been moved in from elsewhere in her abscence; "...Chama had noticed on her first visit to the palace to be radiating with magical energy..."

The Fool informed both adversaries that the pillars? magic would be awakened and triggered by any artefact powerful enough, and the shards of glass from the broken mirror more than qualified. Sabal had an understandable moment of doubt when she realized that Chama, holding the vast majority of the shards of glass, would have access to most of the power from the pillars.

The battle went well for Chama?s side, with Nathyrra using her spells, Valen his flail, and Chama combining the use of the magical pillars and her powerful evocation spells. When the last waves of fiery mist dissipated from the scorched battlefield, Chama strode to Sabal?s body and retrieved the last piece of broken glass missing to reassemble the Mirror.

That seems just like too much of an boss fight to pass with such short mention... :crying:

She ceremoniously presented all the shards of glass to the Fool. She helped him fitting the shards of glass in the mirror frame like the pieces of the puzzle. Valen averted his flashing red eyes each time a drop of blood beaded on her fingers from the sharp edges of the glass pieces.

The second sentence is kind of funny i think...
Making THE puzzle be A puzzle instead might help; now the puzzle metaphor seems kind of doubled, it comes both as an "like a puzzle", and by calling the broken mirror a puzzle directly.

?I wish I could do something for you,? Chama said quietly to the Fool when they looked at the assembled Mirror, ready to be empowered again. ?I can see no way for my magic to spare you without condemning all of your fellow avariel.?

Valen and Nathyrra looked at each other, unsure what she meant. Seeing their incomprehension, the Fool explained, ?Once I restore the mirror, I will again be nothing more than a dancing fool. Order must be restored, even if that means I will once again be a fool.? There was fear in his eyes.

?You are brave, little man,? Valen praised. ?I hope your sacrifice is not forgotten when the kingdom is restored.?

"You are brave, little man"? Anyone else saying that and it'll be horribly ironic or something...:D

And, with slightly trembling hands, the Fool cast the spell that would pull the avariel back up on their aerial summits.

Chama was surrounded in a drowning mist and she fought to conserve her foothold in reality. When the mist dissipated, she was back in Queen Shaori?s cave, and the avariel and their village were gone. Only the Queen and the Fool stayed behind to do their farewells. The Queen looked adequately regal now, and the Jester was a simple soul again.

Chama accepted the Queen?s gratitude and the Mirror of All-Seeing. She bowed graciously to the avariel and left the cave. As soon as she was out of it, followed close behind by her two companions, she heard the incantation for a teleport spell, and she turned to look at the two last winged elves leaving the Underdark.

"Followed close behind", well, doesn't following usually mean walking behind someone? :P

?My lady??, she heard.

He had seemed to make a habit of this new name, she reflected. She tried to focus, growing progressively detached as the poison coursing through her veins sapped her life away from her.

?What??, she slurred.

?You do not seem well.?

?I bet Sabal?s bolts were poisoned,? Nathyrra remarked.

?They were. I would have already done something about that, but we have no more healing kits or antidotes. I thought it was about time to go back to Lith My?athar anyway.?

They started back to where Cavallas? boat was anchored and, about half-way, Chama stopped and knelt.

?I think I?m about to faint again.?

She removed her helmet slowly and looked with confused eyes at Valen coming nearer. He saw her fighting against unconsciousness, blinking slowly, and he realized just how close to death she was.

Ooo... poison...

Chama was more than half unconscious, and she saw strange things through her subconscious? eyes when Valen knelt next to her and said something. She perceived his eyes big and clear, like those of a bird of prey, his long straight nose a predatory beak, his horns changed to plumes of feathers. She thought in an unseemly fashion that even if she heard nothing but silence, the usual sounds of his armour were much too loud for him to be one of the silent predators of the night.

But then her strange vision disappeared as he suddenly bent towards her to encircle her in his powerful arms. She startled, trying to move away, but she was too weak and just fell down in the dust. Sound returned to her ears.

?My lady, allow me to carry you. You require the Seer?s assistance urgently,? Valen repeated.

No taxis there back then i guess. :wub:

She nodded. With surprising gentleness, he knelt besides her and lifted her. She was pressed against his metallic armour, but he was careful not to poke her with the pointed ends of his stylish collar. She held her breath in a physical sign of her attempt to push down all of her feelings and memories boiling below the surface, and saw with relief Cavallas?s boat appear in sight. Valen climbed the narrow railway and put her down gently near the prow. She let out a sigh of relief, and gladly passed out for the duration of the short and uneventful trip. Chama awoke with a start when the boat hit the docks of Lith My?athar. Valen was still by her side, looking at her with an intense expression. He extended a hand towards her, moving to lift her again.

?No, help me to my feet. Now is one occasion when to put up a brave face.?

His eyes clouded in grey.

?You are far too unsteady to climb down the railway,? he countered quietly. ?The poison of the Dark River would be deadly to you in your current state. Let me get you down the boat, and then I will put you down on your feet.?

What kind of an boat is it? You climb down a railway to... get down from it? :unsure:

?I should warn you, Chamaedaphne? I know something of this mirror. It is a very powerful ? but very dangerous ? item. What do you intend to do with it??

Does she maybe have a make up purse to keep it in? :P

Chama hesitated. ?I don?t know. Can you make use of it??

?I might be able to, though I would have to be extremely careful with such an item. But I could never ask you to turn such a valuable artefact over to me.?

?You do not have to ask, I am offering it. If you can make use of it, take it, and I will be glad if maybe it can help.?

She extended the mirror to the Seer. The drow?s eyes widened in shock, and Chama smirked. For once, something she had not foreseen.

?I? that is very? generous of you, Chamaedaphne. Thank you. I? will try to put it to good advantage. I dare not use it before the coming battle, for I fear to fall victim to its power. But in the days that are to come it may one day help us to find our way to a better life than this.?

Rephrasinated: "I don't dare to use it now, but maybe we can enjoy living dangerously later on."

She's weird. :cheers:

Chama was only momentarily disappointed. ?I am glad I gave it to you, Seer. I thought it might serve immediately. That you are reluctant to use it shows that you have a greater wisdom than I, and I fear little for you if you know when to use it and when it is better not.?

The Seer bowed, accepting the compliment, and then returned it, ?That you can see this shows that you have a greater wisdom than you might think. Kneel, my child.? She pushed down gently on the elf?s shoulder. Slightly curious, Chama obeyed. ?Do not fight,? the Seer ordered gently, ?it is to help in your healing.? The Seer cast her spell and Chama obediently fell asleep without resistance. The Seer held the elf?s shoulder when she went limp, and looked up at Valen still standing there. The tiefling now looked relieved.

?Valen, would you please carry her to her room??

The tiefling nodded, knelt and gently lifted Chama. The Seer and Nathyrra followed him when he went up the stairs and into Chama?s room. He stayed just long enough to put her down on her bed gently, and he left so the drow women could make Chama more comfortable. He waited in the corridor in front of Chama?s door for a while, uncertain, until the Seer came back and took his arm to guide him to her antechamber. She could feel his confusion and the intensity of his feelings, and she guessed correctly that he wanted to talk.

The Seer?s antechamber was a small study simply furnished and adorned in black and silver; it was the place the priestess used to meet those of her followers in need of guidance and, occasionally, to hold meetings and receive reports. As soon as she was alone with Valen, and the door was closed behind them, the weapon master asked anxiously, ?Is she going to be alright??

Hummm Hummm Hummm, doing good...

?Of course, my good Valen. I have healed her, and she will rest tonight.?

?I don?t doubt your healing capabilities,? Valen hastily specified, frowning deeply.

?Then what is it you are doubting??, she inquired softly.

She was surprised to see him blush. ?I doubt she is herself. She would never allow herself to pass out if she was not more than halfway to the gates of death.?

The Seer pondered for a while. ?Maybe she doesn?t allow herself to pass out, but permits others to order her to, when the command agrees with her desires.?

Valen chuckled. ?I will remember this. I have no doubt that I will have ample occasion to order her to rest or something of the sort, and we shall see if it is not simply you that she is willing to obey.?

"Yay! I'll start bossing here about right away!" :whistling:

A silence stretched, and finally the Seer stated, ?Something happened while you were there. You look at her in a different manner than before, and you are intensely troubled.?

He smiled ruefully. ?Am I so transparent?? She smiled kindly. ?She was poisoned by arrows and bolts a first time, yesterday. And after that, she was touched by Talona. Today, she was sickened a third time by Sabal, a Red Sister.?

The Seer gasped in shocked anger. ?How did Talona extend his hand to her here??

?One of the avariel was a priest of Talona. He was entertained by watching her fight against sickened creatures in an arena while she was crippled by the disease.?

?How did she survive??

?She used spell scrolls and wands to kill the creatures thrown at her, and potions and enchanted objects to keep the worst of the disease tolerable.? Valen?s eyes had hardened, but they remained blue. His regard, his voice and his countenance all hinted to his restrained fury. ?There were five rounds of fights,? he explained further. ?Afterwards, the priest healed Chama and gave us a piece of the Mirror. She was walking steadily when we exited the temple. She wore her helm and it was hard to tell that she had suffered at all from the disease. She closed the doors of the temple, and she fainted. Even so, she still tried to struggle when I carried her to the secure location Nathyrra had chosen to set up the camp. That?s why I say that Chama would never have allowed you to force her to sleep unless she was seriously injured.?

Hmmm hmmm...
Or maybe "Valen recounted the events of the last few days".

Just all about taste though, and he does bring in the focus... Hmmm...

?I think she was,? the Seer agreed smoothly. ?She must have been exhausted from the three poisons affecting her in as many days. But you blush. Why??

His blush darkened to a brighter shade of red. ?I don?t know, Seer. I am embarrassed to have carried her three times. I don?t exactly feel as thought she welcomes it.?

?But she accepts.?

?She? she allows, yes.?

?You are troubled.?

He sighed. ?She troubles me, yes.? He blushed at the admission. The Seer waited for long seconds, and eventually he went on. ?I don?t know what to make out of what I feel for her. At first, I was suspicious, but not anymore. I have observed her closely; she is a powerful ally and I trust that she is truly dedicated to our cause. I admire her idealism. I? don?t know what I should feel.?

Nietzsche: [i]What does your conscience tell you? Become the man that you are.

:mellow:

The priestess smiled kindly. ?Valen, you must know what your feelings are.?

?Do I??, he asked ruefully. ?I barely know her.?

The silent admission was not even disguised.

?Of course,? his drow friend answered, ?but you will get to know her better as you continue your travels together.?

The Seer was grinning and looking much like a teenager matchmaker in Valen?s opinion. The whole experience was totally alien to him.

?Is this supposed to help me with my confusion??, he asked, half-mocking, half-frustrated.

?I would expect things to become clearer with time,? she countered softly. ?I see you?re not denying yourself, so things will sort themselves out, one way or the other. Everything will be fine, Valen, as long as you don?t deny yourself.?

Valen?s features hardened and threads of yellow started to twist in his irises. ?But how can I not deny? How can I accept? I? am vulnerable when she is near. My demon half does not agree with the way I feel when she is there. The infernal part of me denies mightily. It leaves me confused and disgusted of myself for unclear a reason. Then how can I not deny??

The Seer was suddenly thoughtful. ?I?m sorry, I should have understood this sooner. You should realize, however, that whatever you do and whatever the infernal part of you says, you will never stop being human.?

But what IS human? :wacko:

?I would like to think so, but in the Abyss, there was nothing in me that was human.?

?That is not true. Even then, you took the decision of getting out of the Abyss. You had to be partly human. You can never be only demon or only human. You will always have to accept a part of you, and live with the feelings of the other. You need not be ruled by the demon, nor do your human feelings, but you will be influenced. But do not look so desperate. I am telling you that it is normal to be influenced by the feelings of the demon, but it will not keep you from experiencing some of the best aspects of mortal life, such as what you might come to feel for Chamaedaphne, in time.?

Valen sighed. ?Thank you, Seer, I know your words are meant to soothe me.? It was clear, however, that he was not feeling much better than when he came in, and that he felt like being alone now.

?Don?t worry overmuch,? the Seer concluded. ?Trust me, things will sort themselves out.? She was willing to let him go; there was only so much she could do for him. There were things he needed to think out for himself.

He nodded, bowed and left, leaving a thoughtful Seer behind. You are always so wise, my Goddess. If Chamaedaphne could make the human in Valen know love, then what could Valen accomplish for Chamaedaphne?s soul tormented with guilt?

The Seer smiled sadly. The road had not been easy for either of them. Maybe that is how they could find solace in each other now, after a long, winding and treacherous road.

Hmmm... This is just a flying thought... But since the seer seems to be predicting that the protagonists will live happily ever after, it could serve either to (if she is correct), make things unsurprising and slightly dull feeling ("Yeh, she saw it coming alright"), or as a good trampoline for further shock and tension...
Hmmm...

When Valen went to his room afterwards, he saw Deekin, asleep on the floor with his crossbow just outside Chama?s door. Valen squinted in the dim magefire light of the corridor, but his eyes had not tricked him; there were reptilian wings protruding from the creature?s back. He shook his head; a red dragon disciple? This kobold bard held many mysteries. Not that Valen was overly curious about them.

Imloth gave a reproving glare as Nathyrra walked closer. She was back in Lith My?athar for two hours already, but she had run around between stores for all this time before finally coming to tell her old friend the last developments in their adventures.

?Hey, Nat! I heard he calls her ?my lady? now. Is that true??

The drow assassin nodded and Imloth noticed how tired she looked. He relented slightly.

?Didn?t you think of poor old me who would have preferred to learn it from you, not from one of the temple?s guards??

She shook her head. ?I?m sorry, I thought of armour to be repaired, rations to be bought, clothes to be washed, packs and quivers to be restocked, maps to be copied??

She gave him a piece of parchment. ?The plan of the avariel?s isle. It could be a good refugee if necessary, it?s remote enough and easy to defend.?

Imloth nodded and accepted the map. ?Thank you. Doesn?t Valen usually take care of weaponry concerns??

?Yes, but he needed to talk to the Seer. He was looking so troubled that I didn?t have the heart to ask him to take care of equipment.?

At that Imloth was concerned. ?Troubled??

?Unstable. You know what I mean.?

Everyone in Lith My?athar could recognize Valen?s ?episodes? of torment. There were days when the infernal part of him was agitated, and people knew to avoid baiting or irritating Valen in those circumstances.

?But he looked sad, not angry,? Nathyrra specified. ?Really, he was a sorry sight. I hope the Seer will calm him a bit.?

Imloth nodded, but seeing Nathyrra did not appear too eager to run for a well-deserved rest, he insisted, ?So, what happened out there??

She suddenly grinned impishly.

?Well, you see, there was this avariel priest of Talona. He hurt Chama pretty hard, and she fainted afterwards. Valen carried her. You should have seen his eyes? all grey from concern. I?m sure that?s when he decided to call her ?my lady?.?

?Now, that?s what I call gossip worthy of my notice??

?I am wounded, Imloth, that you accuse me implicitly of losing my touch. But that?s not all there is to it. We went to the palace after that, and??

Such professional pride, how unusual for a gossip. :P

Anyway, ahh, repeat all the compliments i've posted previously here, then add "Keep writing and i'll keep reading" as a bottom line, ok?
Good.

:cheers:

#52 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:18 AM

Hey DalreiDal. Nice new chapter, as always, and I didn't think that the beginning with the background was stilted at all. In fact, it worked rather nicely for me, so thanks :).

One, tiny, tiny, tiny, infinitesimally small detail.

She gave him a piece of parchment. ?The plan of the avariel?s isle. It could be a good refugee if necessary, it?s remote enough and easy to defend.?

I think you mean refuge, not refugee. I'm incredibly sorry about that nitpicking, I'm really bad I know >.<;;. Just thought you might want to know.

TO the more important things, however, the part between Nathyrra and Imloth was very cute :P. And I reckon that Chama is great as a spellcaster... I think it suits her personality rather well from what we've seen of her. Deceptively powerful, and also troubled by how dark she can be with the power she holds... very nice. :). And again, Valen and the Seer are very good.

Your humble reader, as always, I'll be looking forwards to your next chapter. ^_^

#53 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hello!

Hey Shadowhawke and WeeRLegion, thanks a lot for keeping up with the reviews :) It's real great to hear encouragement from the both of you. Now, to more particular matters:

This is sage advice that somebody once mentioned to me, i'm afraid i'ts been too long for me to remember in whose direction i should nod.

Anyway it goes something like: "Avoid the words Was and Were outside of dialog.
It's something that i try to stick with.

Makes a lot of sense. I'll look for it in future chapters and I've modified the first chapters here, before I looked at yours so I wouldn't be influenced by your style and can tell myself that I came up with something by myself :P

That seems just like too much of an boss fight to pass with such short mention...

I SUCK!!! at writing battle scenes. So I avoided them at all costs in this story. Another reason for the feel of "journal log", I guess. Sorry, but even if it was a boss fight, I won't be going into it... trust me, you'd be falling asleep or crossing your eyes in confusion before the half of it if I even tried.

Making THE puzzle be A puzzle instead might help; now the puzzle metaphor seems kind of doubled, it comes both as an "like a puzzle", and by calling the broken mirror a puzzle directly.

Perfecty exact. Done.

"You are brave, little man"? Anyone else saying that and it'll be horribly ironic or something...

Well, I'm not guilty of that one, actually. That's game text word for word :P Although for Valen's original writer's defence, I can say that the Fool IS a little man... even by my elven PC's standards, so imagine by big warrior tiefling's standards.

"Followed close behind", well, doesn't following usually mean walking behind someone?

Errrr... Right.

No taxis there back then i guess. :wub:

Oh... sorry, must be my second-language English not helping me there. Or my biology background biasing me. I thought taxis was the word used to define a living organisms' response to stimuli??? I'd really like an explanation... maybe one day I won't be needed any, *biiiiiiiiiiig sigh*.

What kind of an boat is it? You climb down a railway to... get down from it?

Well... it's a big enough boat, like 40 feet just judging by eye like that, and the warf is short and low (good quality bay warfing for a river of such ill repute...!), so the railway actually leads up from the warf to the boat's deck. Should I use another word then "boat" to convey the idea of size? "Ship"? "Vessel"? I know we use "fishing boat" here, and the boats don't need to be much longer than 30 feet to be worthy of the name...

?I should warn you, Chamaedaphne? I know something of this mirror. It is a very powerful ? but very dangerous ? item. What do you intend to do with it??

Does she maybe have a make up purse to keep it in?

LOL. Well, I don't think so, although Nat'd probably be more interested.

?I? that is very? generous of you, Chamaedaphne. Thank you. I? will try to put it to good advantage. I dare not use it before the coming battle, for I fear to fall victim to its power. But in the days that are to come it may one day help us to find our way to a better life than this.?

Rephrasinated: "I don't dare to use it now, but maybe we can enjoy living dangerously later on."
She's weird.

LOL. I think I prefer your phrasing to the original one.

Valen chuckled. ?I will remember this. I have no doubt that I will have ample occasion to order her to rest or something of the sort, and we shall see if it is not simply you that she is willing to obey.?

"Yay! I'll start bossing here about right away!"

Lol. Just you try.

Hmmm hmmm...
Or maybe "Valen recounted the events of the last few days".

Just all about taste though, and he does bring in the focus... Hmmm...

Well, I think I prefer to leave it there, because it is appropriately short, and it serves as a reminder because the previous chapter, where the first or two first poisonning events occured, was published like a week and a half ago... And it gives Valen's POV on the adventures, but thanks for pointing it out. I'll watch those kinds of things in the future to be sure not to do so too often.

The Seer was suddenly thoughtful. ?I?m sorry, I should have understood this sooner. You should realize, however, that whatever you do and whatever the infernal part of you says, you will never stop being human.?

But what IS human?

When you've been a beast of the Abyss, you must have some base of comparison which helps drawing the line...!

Hmmm... This is just a flying thought... But since the seer seems to be predicting that the protagonists will live happily ever after, it could serve either to (if she is correct), make things unsurprising and slightly dull feeling ("Yeh, she saw it coming alright"), or as a good trampoline for further shock and tension...
Hmmm...

Would there really have been any suspense anyway? People know what to expect when they read this kind of story, don't you think? I think it's going to be sufficiently long and complicated before it actually gets there that the Seer's vision won't feel like such a big point of evidence anymore. Further shock and tension? There's gonna be a bit of it, but I'm not too fond of angst, so...

Such professional pride, how unusual for a gossip.

*The Seer interrupts smoothly,* Ah, those two are incorrigible, I tell you! How many times did I catch them exchanging private information... No amount of penitence in the world will make them stop.

Anyway, ahh, repeat all the compliments i've posted previously here, then add "Keep writing and i'll keep reading" as a bottom line, ok?
Good.

Done ;) Next chapter next week or the other after that. I've got a lot of writing to do at work these days so I'm pretty fed up when I get back home at night. Thanks again for another very constructive review :cheers:

Hey DalreiDal. Nice new chapter, as always, and I didn't think that the beginning with the background was stilted at all. In fact, it worked rather nicely for me, so thanks.

One, tiny, tiny, tiny, infinitesimally small detail.

I think you mean refuge, not refugee. I'm incredibly sorry about that nitpicking, I'm really bad I know. Just thought you might want to know.

TO the more important things, however, the part between Nathyrra and Imloth was very cute. And I reckon that Chama is great as a spellcaster... I think it suits her personality rather well from what we've seen of her. Deceptively powerful, and also troubled by how dark she can be with the power she holds... very nice.. And again, Valen and the Seer are very good.

Your humble reader, as always, I'll be looking forwards to your next chapter.

:doh: Yes, I think I mean refuge, not refugee....................... If Oi Va Voi could see me now. Don't be sorry about nitpicking, I'll feel much better knowing that typo hasn't been posted for all the world to see for over a year when I perchance will see it... I'm glad the beginning set things right for you :) I wanted some fun with Nat and Imloth, so here they are gossiping, lol. What would a two-hundred or something soul village be without gossip!? I come from St-Paul-du-Nord beach, so I know what gossip's like. Impossible to stifle. I'm glad you think the spellcasting fits Chama and her occasional darkness.

Thanks so much for the kind review :hug:

#54 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:17 AM

Oh... sorry, must be my second-language English not helping me there. Or my biology background biasing me. I thought taxis was the word used to define a living organisms' response to stimuli??? I'd really like an explanation... maybe one day I won't be needed any, *biiiiiiiiiiig sigh*.

Definately your biology background. Twas just a silly comment with another word for a "cab". :ph34r:

Would there really have been any suspense anyway? People know what to expect when they read this kind of story, don't you think? I think it's going to be sufficiently long and complicated before it actually gets there that the Seer's vision won't feel like such a big point of evidence anymore. Further shock and tension? There's gonna be a bit of it, but I'm not too fond of angst, so...

True i guess. But once you start taking distance to the original model story, they'll suddenly find themselves unsure of what is to come more precisely, and soon they'll be guessing if you've changed some fundamental aspects as well... :devil:

#55 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:37 AM

Definately your biology background. Twas just a silly comment with another word for a "cab". :ph34r:

LOL :ROFL: *pauses and tries to stifle it* ROFLOL. Yes, definitely biology background... I had forgotten taxis could come without a "s" and be a means of transportation other than the burly warrior. LOL.

True i guess. But once you start taking distance to the original model story, they'll suddenly find themselves unsure of what is to come more precisely, and soon they'll be guessing if you've changed some fundamental aspects as well... :devil:

OK, maybe it wasn't such a good move to have the Seer see it in advance and share it with us, but... I wanted her to feel like a real Seer, visions and intuition and all. That's why I made her Valen's councilor... maybe it would have been enough just that... hmmm...

#56 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

Please, don't mind me, it's just my own fanfic style to do things in weird ways in an attempt to surprise people. :bi:

#57 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:48 AM

Sorry I took so long to read your last chapter, had been swarmed with work. :)

Great writing, as usual. And I'm so amused with the two drow who had somehow developed a taste for gossip. LOL, you know who I'm talking about.

Now that, Valen feels something for Chama, I'm eager to read Chama's reaction when she finds out.

#58 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

Sorry I took so long to read your last chapter, had been swarmed with work. :)

Hey Celestine! Sorry in being so long for answering you, but I can say with confidence that I totally understand you being swarmed under work. I've been sort of holding my breath and not having a life myself for the past two weeks and a half. Coming here today, I saw your "old" comment and it's been a nice celebration of three semester works turned in and two oral presentations delivered ;) So thanks :)

Great writing, as usual. And I'm so amused with the two drow who had somehow developed a taste for gossip. LOL, you know who I'm talking about.

Now that, Valen feels something for Chama, I'm eager to read Chama's reaction when she finds out.

I'm so glad that the two gossipping drow are winning hearts, lol It's been a sort of tension relief for the writing process. It's going to be some time yet before Valen allows Chama to see that he feels something for her, but it's coming. I swear, I have another chapter ready if I just gather enough strength to do some polishing on it.

#59 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

And, as a totally by-the-way aside, WeeRLegion, your signature is straight out of lyrics from Manowar. Eh. I know my metal.

#60 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

Darn, this is unexpected... :Poke:

Edited by WeeRLegion, 18 April 2007 - 01:43 PM.