• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Valen is so much more of a man than Haer'Dalis. Well, of course, one is a weapon master, while the other is a bard. But I still like the character and personality of Valen much more than Haer'Dalis. For all the NWN games including the NWN2, HOTU is still my favorite. I absolutely hate NWN1 and NWN2 still doesn't grow on me.

Keep writing, I'm eagerly waiting for more.

#22 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

Yep, well, Valen is your kinda prototypical alpha male... while Haer'Dalis wasn't really. I didn't dislike his "entropy" obsession though, and I rather liked that he called the PC "my raven". But I admit, Valen completely won me over. Haer'Dalis was just average company :)

Here came another chapter for you :)
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#23 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:55 AM

Wow. *blinks.* I just read both chapters in one go, and that was really incredible :). You really have an intriguing way of painting the characters, DalreiDal. And yeah, I think I'll agree with you on Haer'Dalis and Valen... I didn't mind Haer'Dalis. I actually quite liked him for a while. But with just the way you portray Valen... he sounds *so* much cooler. I'm glad that he and Chama seem to have a bit of a future together :)

Edit: Oh, btw, I hope that you get better soon. *pat, pat*. The flu is a nasty thing to have.

Edited by Shadowhawke, 06 February 2007 - 03:55 AM.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#24 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:16 AM

Edit: Oh, btw, I hope that you get better soon. *pat, pat*. The flu is a nasty thing to have.

Thanks so much Shadowhawke :hug: (although you probably wouldn't want a real hug in the state I'm in... that's at least one thing computers are good for, eh!) That's really kind of you ^_^

Wow. *blinks.* I just read both chapters in one go, and that was really incredible :). You really have an intriguing way of painting the characters, DalreiDal. And yeah, I think I'll agree with you on Haer'Dalis and Valen... I didn't mind Haer'Dalis. I actually quite liked him for a while. But with just the way you portray Valen... he sounds *so* much cooler. I'm glad that he and Chama seem to have a bit of a future together :)

Errr... what both chapters??? Because last time I posted two, and this time one? In any case, thanks a lot for the good words :) Are you done digging those NWN CDs yet?
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#25 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

Awesome chapter, DalreïDal. As usual, you have portrayed and describe Valen to the truest! Damn, I miss playing Hotu. Nice seer vision. :D

#26 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:53 AM

Why aren't you playing HotU anymore, Celestine? I still get it out once in a while :) Although since a friend just handed NWN2 over to me Wednesday, it might be a while before I get it out again...

Anyway, as always, thanks a lot for the review :) I'm glad you liked the Seer's vision and my portrayal of Valen... The Seer is a character I really tried to put some depth to in my story, and I hope it keeps showing :)

#27 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

I haven't actually reached the latest chapter (I fell behind and am at Chapter 4 but I'm reading whenever I get the chance.)

Two notes: 1372 is the current year as of NWN. And Drizzt's companion is Cattie-brie, not Katie, though that may be purposeful.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#28 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

Why aren't you playing HotU anymore, Celestine? I still get it out once in a while :) Although since a friend just handed NWN2 over to me Wednesday, it might be a while before I get it out again...

I have a slow computer so I uninstalled NWN a while ago. I have too many games to play right now, so HotU will remain in the box for a while more. :P

I'm not particularly fond of NWN2 either (the camera angles pisses me off no end.), but it is better than NWN, IMO.

And Drizzt's companion is Cattie-brie, not Katie, though that may be purposeful.

hehe. :devil: I actually can't stand Cattie-brie... Katie or whatever. :P

Great job on the new chapter, DalreïDal. Finally, its adventuring time. I want to see read how they coordinate in a real battle. :D

#29 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:32 AM

Great new chapter, as always, DalreiDal! ^_^. I must say, you're absolutely excellent at keeping time with these weekly installments... *coughs*.
Anyway, I must say that I particularly liked Chama's plan for Deekin. There wasn't as much juicy Chama-Valen interraction in this chapter, but as an action chapter I thought it was pretty good. :). I agree with Celestine... it will be very interesting seeing how they work together outside of training.

Errr... what both chapters??? Because last time I posted two, and this time one? In any case, thanks a lot for the good words :)

Oops >.<;;. I think I must have missed the earlier one when it first came out. Anyway, that's now rectified and I'm completely up to date ^_^. And no problem, DalreiDal. You really deserve the good words :).

Are you done digging those NWN CDs yet?

Heh, unfortunately not. I remember now that that rather short time in which I played NWN was at the expense of one the friends of my elder brother, and so I am CDless... for now. I plan to correct that at the end of this year when my Year 12 is finally done :)

Can't wait to see more of this fic, though! Keep up the incredible work. :)

#30 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:55 AM

Two notes: 1372 is the current year as of NWN. And Drizzt's companion is Cattie-brie, not Katie, though that may be purposeful.

Thanks, I now changed Katie to Cattie-Brie, and since BG happened before 1372 and that Drizz't already existed, now I'm sure that Deekin can sing about him, lol. Thx a lot about the correction :hug:

I have a slow computer so I uninstalled NWN a while ago. I have too many games to play right now, so HotU will remain in the box for a while more. :P

I'm not particularly fond of NWN2 either (the camera angles pisses me off no end.), but it is better than NWN, IMO.

And Drizzt's companion is Cattie-brie, not Katie, though that may be purposeful.

hehe. :devil: I actually can't stand Cattie-brie... Katie or whatever. :P

Great job on the new chapter, DalreïDal. Finally, its adventuring time. I want to see read how they coordinate in a real battle. :D

Wep, the NWN2 install just crashed on me. No more NWN2 playing for me. I'm back to playing BG1 now. Damn I had forgotten what a good RPG is like.

As for my fiction, yep, adventuring time has come... As you can guess, they won't do too bad :) Coming next week as usual.

Great new chapter, as always, DalreiDal! ^_^. I must say, you're absolutely excellent at keeping time with these weekly installments... *coughs*.
Anyway, I must say that I particularly liked Chama's plan for Deekin. There wasn't as much juicy Chama-Valen interraction in this chapter, but as an action chapter I thought it was pretty good. :). I agree with Celestine... it will be very interesting seeing how they work together outside of training.

Errr... what both chapters??? Because last time I posted two, and this time one? In any case, thanks a lot for the good words :)

Oops >.<;;. I think I must have missed the earlier one when it first came out. Anyway, that's now rectified and I'm completely up to date ^_^. And no problem, DalreiDal. You really deserve the good words :).

Are you done digging those NWN CDs yet?

Heh, unfortunately not. I remember now that that rather short time in which I played NWN was at the expense of one the friends of my elder brother, and so I am CDless... for now. I plan to correct that at the end of this year when my Year 12 is finally done :)

Can't wait to see more of this fic, though! Keep up the incredible work. :)

Yep, once a week it is for me, eheh. I just moved here recently, so aside from a once-a-week table RPG, I don't have much to do of my free time. Hell, I've seen more movies in the last six months than in the three years before. So I write. And read. And replay games because I'm too broke to buy new ones :) But mostly I write (should have guessed that from the terrifying word count of "Out of the Dark and the Mist" already posted...).

But don't cry too much about your CDless state... mainly it's HotU worth playing. Although the full legit edition of NWN1 is kinda cheap right now, all package for about 30 CAN$ (about 20-25 U$???). Hey I got a weird question since you're from Australia; at what month does school year finish? Is it june like up here, or is it reversed??? Anyway, not really important, was just asking :)

I'm glad you could read all chapters, lol. I'm afraid juicy Chama-Valen interaction will cool down some for a few chapters... they can't keep flying into each other's feathers like that all the time or they'll end up killing each other! So they're going to get along a little better in the near future.

I'm so relieved you liked my plan for Deekin... I was afraid it would feel like cheap "getting rid of him", even though that's not what I see Chama wants.

Hey, I gotta go now because I got a class in three minutes, but anyway, thanks to you all... I received a bunch of reviews all at the same time. I take it you were waiting for the chapter, were you? ;)

#31 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

Wep, the NWN2 install just crashed on me. No more NWN2 playing for me. I'm back to playing BG1 now. Damn I had forgotten what a good RPG is like.

I had to reload my computer and am a bit wary of starting it up again for fear I'll need to reload again. Here's hoping!

Anyways what I have read so far is excellent, and where this not based on someone else's game and world I'm sure you'd be able to publish, no problem.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#32 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

I had to reload my computer and am a bit wary of starting it up again for fear I'll need to reload again. Here's hoping!

Anyways what I have read so far is excellent, and where this not based on someone else's game and world I'm sure you'd be able to publish, no problem.

I share your NWN2 despair and sympathize :) I know I just have to format my PC and reinstall everything and NWN2 will work, but I lack the courage, I admit. Damn, this monster machine is new! Already I've done stupid things and it needs to have its memory wiped. Poor Monster (see, that's my cute little name for it lol).

And finally, your last sentence was a kind of big big compliment :) Thanks a lot. I hope I live up to your expectations because the chapters VII and VIII are a bit weak in my own evaluation, although I wasn't sure how to cut them shorter/make them more interesting. If you (or anyone else, really) have any suggestions regarding that, please speak them :)

#33 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:00 PM

I'll make sure to see if I have any ideas when I get there.

#34 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:38 AM

Yep, once a week it is for me, eheh. I just moved here recently, so aside from a once-a-week table RPG, I don't have much to do of my free time. Hell, I've seen more movies in the last six months than in the three years before. So I write. And read. And replay games because I'm too broke to buy new ones :) But mostly I write (should have guessed that from the terrifying word count of "Out of the Dark and the Mist" already posted...).

Hey, that's awesome! Free time is always a good thing. And when it's free time spent writing this wonderful fic... even better. ^_^

But don't cry too much about your CDless state... mainly it's HotU worth playing. Although the full legit edition of NWN1 is kinda cheap right now, all package for about 30 CAN$ (about 20-25 U$???). Hey I got a weird question since you're from Australia; at what month does school year finish? Is it june like up here, or is it reversed??? Anyway, not really important, was just asking :)

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind. I *might* plan to buy NWN at the end of this year as a gift to myself (After the trauma of my final year in high school, I reckon I'll deserve it!). And it's not that weird a question :P. Our school year begins late January, and it ends in early December. So I'm a few weeks into the beginning of the school year over here... and already I've been inundated with important work... -_-.

I'm glad you could read all chapters, lol. I'm afraid juicy Chama-Valen interaction will cool down some for a few chapters... they can't keep flying into each other's feathers like that all the time or they'll end up killing each other! So they're going to get along a little better in the near future.

I'm so relieved you liked my plan for Deekin... I was afraid it would feel like cheap "getting rid of him", even though that's not what I see Chama wants.

Hey, I gotta go now because I got a class in three minutes, but anyway, thanks to you all... I received a bunch of reviews all at the same time. I take it you were waiting for the chapter, were you? ;)

Heh, no problem! As I've said before, this fic has really gotten me interested in NWN, mainly because of your marvellous portrayals of the characters. And hey... any Chama-Valen interaction is juicy interaction, and you had a little bit of it in this chapter, so I'm not complaining :P. And yes, I can't speak for the others, but I was waiting for another chapter. :D

Keep up the good work, DalreiDal!

#35 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

Kael: thanks, I hope to see a comment or a suggestion in a little time :)

Shadowhawke: thanks for answering my nosy off-topic question about school year, lol. Yep, the end of High School is trauma enough... just wait when you get to your equivalent of cégep. Heh, I so took a drop and decided I didn't even want to be a med vet anymore, lol. But it all turned out for the best, so you shouldn't worry too much. Beside, I've discovered since then that each year, no matter what level of school you're in, is trauma enough to deserve to buy yourself a new game! Wisdom decreed! :P

I'm glad you're not complaining of lack of interaction between Chama and Valen. There will be more in next chapter, I promise (Hell, I found it dull myself just rereading the second-to-last (is that even the good way to say it?) chapter).

Thanks a lot for the review again :) You shouldn't be waiting much more than a week for next chapter again ;)

#36 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

Hey DalreïDal. Sorry for my late comment. Work's been crazy as hell and then there were holidays. hehe.

Right, so I eagerly devoured your latest chapter and I agree with Shadowhawke. There's no question about the way you portray Charma and Valen, even Imoth has a bigger role. I especially like the way you bring out the doubt in Valen's heart about Charma and how he tries to justify his thoughts.

Keep writing.

#37 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:00 AM

Hey DalreïDal. Sorry for my late comment. Work's been crazy as hell and then there were holidays. hehe.

Right, so I eagerly devoured your latest chapter and I agree with Shadowhawke. There's no question about the way you portray Charma and Valen, even Imoth has a bigger role. I especially like the way you bring out the doubt in Valen's heart about Charma and how he tries to justify his thoughts.

Keep writing.

Good morning Celestine!

Thanks a lot for the good word about my portrayal of characters. I'm glad you notice Imloth too, because he's another character I tried to give depth to in this fiction. The first time I saw him in-game, I found him really gorgeous and I was rather disappointed to find out that it was VALEN who got to come adventuring with me. Although after the first quest I wasn't complaining anymore :P I got plans for Imloth, just you wait.

Valen will be doing a lot of introspection in the next chapters, but Chama will get there too eventually :)

Thanks for the review again :)

Edited by DalreïDal, 23 February 2007 - 07:00 AM.

#38 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:27 AM

Whee, a new chapter. I think having kubolds fighting for the Seer is a great idea. Well, at least only one will be singing the doom song while the rest can sing their crossbows. :P

I recognize part of the dialogs come from HOTu. :) hehe.

#39 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hey Celestine! Thanks for the review :)

Whee, a new chapter. I think having kubolds fighting for the Seer is a great idea. Well, at least only one will be singing the doom song while the rest can sing their crossbows. :P

That was part of my master plan "let's get rid of Deeking, but let's not get rid of Deekin". ;) I'm glad you like the idea of the slaves' rescue and them ending up in the Seer's army. Quite a rag tag crew the drow lady will end up with, lol :)

I recognize part of the dialogs come from HOTu. :) hehe.

Well, yes, I quite never do that, but I thought that the few lines I used as they were would be rather drowned in the sheer volume of words I wrote in this fiction. I hope you didn't find it too boring to see this dialog there, only slightly modified from the in-game version. I did try to extend Chama's answers beyond the single-line choice you have in game.

Thanks again for the review :hug:

#40 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

Great chapter as always, DalreïDal. :) Its good to see Valen sort of accepted Chama. I see the drow wizard as comic relief, not sure if that's what you intended him to be.

Just a random question which pops out of my head so I reckon I'll ask anyway, hope you don't mind. :) Do you think the wizard really likes Chama? IIRC, the wizard (sorry, I kept forgetting his name) seems to be of an evil-alignment, typical of drow. And usually drow hates surface elves. I can see that he is in awe of Chama's spellcasting abilities, but not sure if its enough to want to bed her.