• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

The obligatory 'Ask <insertNPC>' thread!

#2 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

The obligatory 'Ask <insertNPC>' thread!

Would you be able to get along with a chaotic good berserker half orc who fights for the innocent, but who cannot decide what he enjoys more: Beating the living daylights out of evil people or having a fun night in an inn with loads of beer, food and music?

#3 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

I hardly think so. Such behaviour is the sign of a small mind, a life unexplored. If one cannot follow the strictures of law, and spends their life wasting time doing needless damage to themselves and others, then they are not worthy of my help.

An interesting way to channel the Bhaal taint, however. Partially constructive. Of course, there are many other ways, if only you Bhaalspawn would look beyond the end of your noses.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

To my other fav Charname:

Iylos, I am just a warrior and I freely admit that I do not really understand how Bhaal's blood is affecting me, but this lack of understanding makes me a bit uneasy. I want us all to survive this whole thing after all and I am worried that my lack of self understanding might make this task even more difficult than it already is.

Anyway, my question is why I shudder at the thought of becoming the god of murder. I am a warrior after all and I have no problem with bringing death and destruction upon those who deserve it, but the thought of burning cities and piles of dead bodies does simply not feel right! The same is true for my ability to turn into the slayer. I can sense its power waiting in a dark corner of my soul but everything in me tells me to not use it!

So again...
What do you say to this Iylos? Can you help me to understand myself a bit better?

#5 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:04 PM

You are a Bhaalspawn - you cannot deny your instinct. I know as well as any other in this group that you could turn around at any moment, and become that which you fear most, forgetting all inhibition under the onslaught of the taint.

You are an abomination, evil. Why don't you kill yourself, get it over with, instead of waiting for one of the Five to kill you? Yes, you killed Illasera, but of them all, she was the least powerful, sought the others to protect her from the dangers of the world. But there are more, <CHARNAME>, and they will seek you.

You have yet to prove to me that your words ring true; we shall wait, and see. Perhaps you are worth saving - perhaps not.

In the end, the more you deny your instinct, <CHARNAME>, the more it will haunt you. And eventually, you will give in, like all the others have. Trust me, I would not be here if I did not have to be - in fact, I would still be in the Anauroch desert, seeking solace in the desert. But I have a duty to stand by you, much as I may not like it. I hope you do not give in, lest I be forced to kill you - or, worse, you kill me.

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

What do you think of paladins?

What do you think of druids?

What is your opinion of bards?

How about berserker warriors?

What do you think of magic?

What do you think of armed combat?

One name… Minsk

What is your opinion of people who use thieving skills but without actually being a thief?

You know the story how Viconia got saved from the stake in Atkatla. Would you have done the same?

Do you think that it is at least possible that CHARNAME is/will become a force of good?

You sound a lot like a lawful neutral character, but your alignment is lawful good. Please, explain why.

CHARNAME is obviously able to instil genuine loyalty in characters like Jaheira, Mazzy, Keldorn or Aerie alike. What do you make of this?

Imagine CHARNAME asked you to teach him/her some basic meditation techniques. Would you do him/her the favour?

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

What do you think of paladins?
Paladins? Righteous men with too little occuring between their ears, or at least, that is the case of many. There are few paladins I have met who see the subtle greys, the tonal shifts which all too often occur, and that makes them unable to truly understand good and evil. They see it in stark black and white, good and evil, when there is so much more at work.

What do you think of druids?
Of all people, I think I identify with druids the most. They understand the need for solitude, what can be learnt from silence and contemplation and careful consideration. Nature is a powerful and wondrous thing, and they understand its importance in the grand scheme of things. I feel that they do more good than a lot of people, especially those who give no thought to what they kill.

What is your opinion of bards?
Bards, however, I find somewhat useless and annoying, with their constant songs and poetry. I have little respect for those who do not spend their time appropriately.

How about berserker warriors?
I can identify with the rage they justify themselves with, but I don't think it is the correct way to channel rage. Some berserkers believe that their rage is the most pure emotion, and in a way, I can see what they mean; but I do not think that it is the best and most efficient way to do battle.

What do you think of magic?
Magic? Is not each day a work of magic, <CHARNAME>? There are so many different forms of magic, and yet you limit yourselves to one. I believe magic is a very powerful force, and it can do great things. But it can also do great evil, and corrupt. So in retrospect, I'm in two minds about what *you* term as magic. On one hand, it can be a force of great good and great evil, but on the other, it cheapens the miracles of every day. Childbirth, life, death - these are miracles which occur constantly, and yet we do not regard them as such, because we are so preoccupied with the idea of magic. Is that a good thing? You tell me.

What do you think of armed combat?
It serves its purpose.

One name? Minsc
What do I think of the berserker warrior Minsc? He is a good man with little in the way of intelligence, but he has a great heart. I'm not sure what to think of his - hamster, Boo, but I have seen a great many things, and it would not particularly surprise me if Minsc's announcements about him proved to be true.

What is your opinion of people who use thieving skills but without actually being a thief?
By definition, fool, a thief is someone who uses thieving skills. If you are going to ask a question, at least think about it beforehand.

I do not agree with the idea of someone using a lockpick to enter a house uninvited, but I believe sometimes such a skill is necessary to one's survival. While I may not agree with a thieve's doctrine, they can be useful, when the situation calls for it.

You know the story of how Viconia got saved from the stake in Atkatla. Would you have done the same?
Of course. Though not for the reasons you, <CHARNAME>, might suspect.

Do you think that it is at least possible that CHARNAME is/will become a force of good?
It is - possible. But from everything I have heard of you, I've come to doubt such a thing would actually occur.

You sound a lot like a lawful neutral character, but your alignment is lawful good. Please, explain why.
What are you talking about?! If you are going to ask a question, at least make sense. But I do not believe in first impressions.

CHARNAME is obviously able to instill genuine loyalty in characters like Jaheira, Mazzy, Keldorn or Aerie alike. What do you make of this?
I suppose we shall see.

Imagine CHARNAME asked you to teach him/her some basic meditation techniques. Would you do him/her the favour?
If you asked nicely enough, I would even give you a disgusted expression when I said no. From everything I know about you, <CHARNAME>, you aren't worthy of learning such a sacred thing, so why should I teach you?

#8 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:29 AM

Bhaalspawn: You sound cold, suspicious of my heritage, and rather dismissive and resentful of your own task to assist me. Why should I let you join my party?

#9 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:38 AM

Bhaalspawn: You sound cold, suspicious of my heritage, and rather dismissive and resentful of your own task to assist me. Why should I let you join my party?
You don't have to. But you would do well to have my assistance in your task - there are many who watch you, Bhaalspawn, many more than you know. There are those that are interested in your well-being, as well as the possibility that you could become a force of good, however much I disagree. But whether or not I join your party, I *will* be watching you, so you may as well take me along rather than have me trail you. That would be tedious for us both.

I am a monk of no small regard, and I know these parts. You *would* do well to take me along.

#10 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

(OT: You mean, if PC doesn't agree to take Ivlos into the party, the guy will somehow survive Saradush and follow PC around? Like...

PC arrives to the Forest of Mir.
Ivlos(stepping from the bushes): "Hello, <CHARNAME>."
PC: "Oh, hells, it is you again. Look, I told you: no! Go away."
Ivlos: "See you."

PC arrives to the Marching Mountains. Two giants meet the party. Ivlos is perched on the shoulder of the second one.

Ivlos: "Why, hello there."
PC: "Gaaah! Can't a Bhaalspawn get some peace and quiet here!"
Ivlos: "No."

PC arrives to the battlefield. Yaga-Shura is nowhere in sight, but...

Ivlos: "Ah, it is you again."
PC: "Yes, it is ME again, because I am SUPPOSED to be here, dammit! What are YOU doing here?"
Ivlos: "I warned you I'd be trailing you, didn't I?"
PC: "(groan)"

Oasis:

PC: "... Look, General, I am Lawful Good and all. See all these kittens?"
Jaheira: (hisses) "Puppies!"
PC: "Whatever. I am *innocent*, because I have Quest Pack installed. Okay?"
General: "Well..."
Ivlos: "Seize them, General. They are guilty. The Bhaalspawn taint must be purified... through blood."
Xan: "(groan) We are doomed."

Amkethran:

PC slowly, cautiously, advances towards the Balthazar's stronghold. Finally, it becomes obvious that Ivlos is not there, so PC approaches the hooded monk at the entrance.

Ivlos: "Gather any of your friends... Balthazar comes."
PC: "(sigh) All right. Join me."
Ivlos: "Hmm... Nah."
PC: "?"
Ivlos: "Sure, I really wanted to, but chasing you proved to be so much fun that I changed my mind. See you in Sendai's Enclave!")

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

Take this as an offense or not, Iylos, but I had to deal with so much treachery on my path that I have to ask this from you:

If you join me, then I expect you to give me your word that a) you will not use any dishonorable tactice like poison against either me or my friends, B ) that you will actively oppose the use of such dishonorable tactics against either me or my friends and c) that you will rather challenge me openly and in an honorable way if you should deem that to be necessary.

So, do you give me your word as a monk on this or not? And yes, I do trust your word as a monk, but only if you actually give it to me.

#12 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:37 AM

[out of character]

That "cool" smilie was not supposed to happen. Please, read it as a " b ) "

#13 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

(OOC: LOL! Kulyok, thank you, that was wonderful to wake up to :D But no, he will not actually follow you around. That would be more frustrating than anything else. In game, I generally asssume he trails you for a while for the sheer obstinacy of it, but then sees that it's getting him nowhere. But after reading your post... *longing look* ;p)

If you join me, then I expect you to give me your word that a) you will not use any dishonorable tactice like poison against either me or my friends, B ) that you will actively oppose the use of such dishonorable tactics against either me or my friends and c) that you will rather challenge me openly and in an honorable way if you should deem that to be necessary.

So, do you give me your word as a monk on this or not? And yes, I do trust your word as a monk, but only if you actually give it to me.

You, fool, are the one who requires justification - not me. For what little it is worth, I would never use dishonourable 'tactics' or any such pathetic attempts to gain some imagined power. I am a monk, <CHARNAME>, please do not insult my honour, or I will be forced to spurn yours. Please, feel free to oppose my joining your group - it is your loss, not mine.

#14 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

(OOC: LOL! Kulyok, thank you, that was wonderful to wake up to :D But no, he will not actually follow you around. That would be more frustrating than anything else. In game, I generally asssume he trails you for a while for the sheer obstinacy of it, but then sees that it's getting him nowhere. But after reading your post... *longing look* ;p)

You, fool, are the one who requires justification - not me. For what little it is worth, I would never use dishonourable 'tactics' or any such pathetic attempts to gain some imagined power. I am a monk, <CHARNAME>, please do not insult my honour, or I will be forced to spurn yours. Please, feel free to oppose my joining your group - it is your loss, not mine.

I have nothing to proof to you, Iylos. Be that as it may, you know who I am and STILL talk to me like that which means that you have guts! Get in line with the group if you want or don't. It is your choice now.

#15 Jojo

Jojo
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

Is Balthazzar not also a Bhaalspawn?  Is he immune to your petty judgements because he happened to be your teacher, or is it because you two are getting it on at the monastery?  What will you do if he turns evil?

Edited by Jojo, 16 March 2007 - 10:42 PM.

#16 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:36 PM

Iylos: Balthazar has proved himself to me. You, Bhaalspawn, have not; I have yet to see any great feat of goodness by your hand, and until I do, I will keep my distance. Your very *tone* is that of an evil man - how can I trust someone whose soul is unknown to me, and indeed, get to know him with such darkness in his heart? Bah - this is... this is an unworthy question.

#17 Jojo

Jojo
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

But a worthy answer nonetheless.  I apologize for my insult.  You are more than I expected.  Do you know that I am not the only one being evaluated?

Edited by Jojo, 17 March 2007 - 11:35 AM.

#18 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

Iylos: Is that so? Perhaps you are right. I can but hope I will meet your - expectations.

#19 Jojo

Jojo
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

Do you remember anything about your parents?  What do you know about them?

Edited by Jojo, 17 March 2007 - 10:42 PM.

#20 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

Gosh, I didn't even see this - I apologise for the extremely late answer!

Iylos: Very little. And I would prefer to keep it that way.