75 replies to this topic

#21 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

As usual, Erephine, excellent work! :cheers:

May I ask you one thing though: you had previously released paperdolls of humans (both female and male).

Are there any difference? My untrained eye might not notice them!

Thanks again! :cheers:

#22 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:05 AM

Thank you very, very much for this and all of 1pp stuff. I am usually not much bothered with graphics but looking into the original BG2's inventory was a real pain for me because lot of icons and especially paperdolls were artistically really badly :ph34r: done. Oh, and avatars too, of course. Thanks to 1pp, game is much more pleasant for the eye now which also adds to the immersion factor. This must have been a lot of hard work and I once again thank you for your effort. You've greatly enhanced my life while I'm playing BG2 :cheers:

Thank you.

Believe me, I felt the same way... :mellow:

As usual, Erephine, excellent work! :cheers:

May I ask you one thing though: you had previously released paperdolls of humans (both female and male).

Are there any difference? My untrained eye might not notice them!

Thanks again! :cheers:

Oh yes, there is.

And I do hope you will notice it. :)

崇高滑稽
·

#23 Miss Sakaki

Miss Sakaki

Modder

• Modder
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:56 AM

Fabulous! I'm looking forward to playing with these.

#24 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Beginning playtest this weekend, on EasyTutu. Installing 1PPv2 (should I leave the older "extras" I have floating around off, like 1pp.v3.medium_shield_fix.rar, 1pp.v3.male_human.rar, and 1pp.v3.female_human.rar?) and then dropping your package into the override :)

#25 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

Just to add my (2p, 2c - pick your country); I cannot remember the last time I played any form of BG2 without your replacement avatars. It really is obvious how much work has gone into this project and I too am very, very grateful for it. Absolutely brilliant work - my eternal thanks for your time and effort. :coolthumb: :D :cheers:

-Y-

#26 melkor_morgoth75

melkor_morgoth75

Lord

• Modder
  • 1509 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Just to add my (2p, 2c - pick your country); I cannot remember the last time I played any form of BG2 without your replacement avatars. It really is obvious how much work has gone into this project and I too am very, very grateful for it. Absolutely brilliant work - my eternal thanks for your time and effort. :coolthumb: :D :cheers:

-Y-

I quote u totally! :cheers:

mm75

Tired of the same boring spawned creatures u face in BG? Try BGSpawn

#27 Bursk

Bursk
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

-Y-

It's funny that you should say that, because it's now second nature to play the game with 1PP installed. Occasionally, after doing a fresh install, I'll load up the game and just dick around a little, and will be horrified by the stock graphics!

#28 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:48 AM

Ok, i will perform the devil's advocate role: one could say that the Half-orc animation is still far from perfect. The orc part brights for its absence.

The others animations and their paperdolls counterparts, however, are rather nicely and deserve all my respect. :)
Where men gather, a bustle of chaos ensues. I would save them all, if I could.

#29 -Interested Lurker-

-Interested Lurker-

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

Thank you for your great mods, Erephine. Your improvements on the BG1 paperdolls and changes for BG2 are a huge improvement IMO, since I really dislike / hate the paperdolls (and some of the weapon designs), that came with BG2.

But, as I took a look at the screenshots, a thought flashed through my mind: What happens, if someone changes the available classes for races and makes the monk available for elves (f.e.)? Will this result in a crash or is another paperdoll used? Would this be a (random) elven paperdoll, a human pd or what?

#30 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

The paperdolls are chosen by the animation slot given to a creature, which is hardcoded in the executable.

There are none for non-human monks. If you edit your character to be a monk, which is possible, you'll have to pick one of the existing animations such as fighter or cleric. The paperdolls will look accordingly. I don't think it's possible to change the main classes on the character creation screen, so you probably could not recreate the dilemma of the game having to pick.

Halfling mages don't exist either. Interestingly enough half-orc mages do have their own slots -- presumably since they copied the human animations, which do include them. Their paperdolls are originally blank (i.e. the files aren't there) but you can add them just fine. So I did :)

Edited by Erephine, 03 September 2008 - 03:04 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#31 -Interested Lurker-

-Interested Lurker-

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for this information. :)

#32 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:45 AM

You're welcome.

I'm glad you're enjoying the additions :)

崇高滑稽
·

#33 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:21 AM

Why is the male elven unarmored fighter still using the BG1 paperdoll? The paperdoll you used for the male elven unarmored cleric would look much more accurate for the fighter as well, imho... If you don't plan on changing this, would it be possible to do it manually after installing 1PPv2.62? If yes, how would I do that? :unsure:

Btw, this is probably not the best thread in which to put the query but I wouldn't know where else to post this: what's missing from 1PPv2.62 that actually prevents it from being 1PPv3?

Last but not least, Erephine: you're my favorite modder :)

#34 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

Posted Image

< zoom >

»» download here ««
(I've also updated the complete installer with these)

Here's a complete set of paperdolls for female dwarves (it was a little odd to have some of them but not others). While dwarves can't be mages the animation IDs exist (similar to the half-orc ones), so I've included them as well. The original game didn't have paperdolls for them (as they wouldn't be used anyhow), but they may actually show up if using the avatar fix, namely when a dwarven character equips mage robes (a thief with the ability to use all items would be a good example).

Maybe this will entice someone to see if they can be patched to have separate avatars in the .exe? :whistling: It might just be possible - they do have their own slot after all, it just links to the same animations.

崇高滑稽
·

#35 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

Maybe this will entice someone to see if they can be patched to have separate avatars in the .exe? :whistling: It might just be possible - they do have their own slot after all, it just links to the same animations.

I was able to change the mage avatar for female dwarves but not the others for them. Also, I was able to change the mage avatars for gnomes.

(I copied the CEFW animations over to CDFW to test.)

COPY ~bgmain.exe~ ~bgmain.exe~
  WRITE_ASCII 0x752698 ~CDFW~ #4 // female dwarf mage

//WRITE_ASCII 0x7526AC ~CDFW~ #4 // male gnome mage
  //WRITE_ASCII 0x7526BC ~CDFW~ #4 // female gnome mage

#36 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

You have? I'll definitely make good on my promise to add content for them if this works. :)

I was able to change the mage avatar for female dwarves but not the others for them.

Might it be the different references? The first three armour levels use CDMB instead of CDMC/CDMF.

崇高滑稽
·

#37 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

You have? I'll definitely make good on my promise to add content for them if this works. :)

Woot. :)

I was able to change the mage avatar for female dwarves but not the others for them.

Might it be the different references? The first three armour levels use CDMB instead of CDMC/CDMF.

Ah, okay. After some fumbling around, I was able to get these working, too. I had to copy the B avatars along with the C/F/T ones, and edit the .exe to change the B references.

Here's one you can install to test.

Edit: Attachment removed, one on next page is more recent but still contains nothing useful for players.

Edited by Mike1072, 30 March 2009 - 04:43 AM.

#38 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

Iiittt would appear we have different executables.

I tried it and it didn't change anything in-game, so I went and checked the offsets in a hex editor to see if it had patched at all, and found it did... just in the most random of places. It's in fact quite amazing it didn't break anything. :blink:

Anyway I played around a bit and found the right place for my brand of .exe (it wasn't far off actually) and was able to reproduce your results. :blush: Very happy and excited.

Is there any way to write an installer that works with different versions/patches of the game?

崇高滑稽
·

#39 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

Iiittt would appear we have different executables.

I tried it and it didn't change anything in-game, so I went and checked the offsets in a hex editor to see if it had patched at all, and found it did... just in the most random of places. It's in fact quite amazing it didn't break anything. :blink:

Anyway I played around a bit and found the right place for my brand of .exe (it wasn't far off actually) and was able to reproduce your results. :blush: Very happy and excited.

Is there any way to write an installer that works with different versions/patches of the game?

Well, you could compare the file size of the executable prior to patching it, which should be a good indicator of whether things will be in the spot we think they are in. For the executables that have them in different spots, the offsets could be adjusted by X easily enough. I guess minimally we'd want to know the offsets for (SoA+latest patch) and (ToB+latest patch) for starters, and maybe the Tutu/BGT executables (unsure if they add anything). Edit: & Mac versions.

Edited by Mike1072, 27 March 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#40 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

Is it possible to check the original text value and compare if it fits (to avoid patching if it isn't an animation entry)?

崇高滑稽
·