Merchant models and names

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hey all,

Now that I had time to get out of the starting area of BG2 and to Waukeen's promenade, I noticed something VERY odd and disturbing. Just about every single merchant there (including interior areas) has the "fat merchant" model and the name has become completely generic ("ladenbesitzer" meaning storekeeper).
I know I never had this problem when i played BG2 the first time (no mods) and since I got BGT (German) I noticed this odd behavior.

I don't believe another mod I got would cause this right?

While BG2 is still playable, it is very confusing as you don't know who the merchant is you are talking to unless he/she tells you in dialogue and generally everyone looking exactly the same, even females having the fat storkeeper model (male), kills the atmosphere of the game.
If you guys got a quick fix for that, I'd gladly try it.

Edited by OldVeteran, 12 January 2007 - 01:04 PM.

--GhostNWN

#2 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

Looking at your savegame, it seems Mira's BG2 SHOP01.CRE file was replaced by a generic BG1 storekeep SHOP01.CRE.

I have only one theory why this could happen - it's in case of incorrect PreSetup.bat execution during installation.

This file extracts BG1 creatures from your BG1 folder, and renames those of them which have filenames conflicting with existing BG2 creatures. This includes merchants:
ren BG1CRE\SHOP01.CRE BGSHOP01.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP03.CRE BGSHOP03.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP04.CRE BGSHOP04.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP06.CRE BGSHOP06.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP07.CRE BGSHOP07.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP08.CRE BGSHOP08.CRE

If the above lines somehow failed to execute, then BG2 creature files would be overwritten with BG1 versions which in theory could produce the result you're getting.

Of course, then it remains a mystery how you were able to complete BGT installation and play it through to SoA if .bat file wasn't successful.

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

If you are using BGT-WeiDU v1.02f and your OS is NOT Win9x/ME, then can you compress your Setup-BGTDOS.DEBUG and attach it here?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

Thanks for the replies, as requested find the debug here:

[attachment=4517:attachment]

Impressive how a 11mb file went down to 121k :D (sav file only lost about 1kb in comparison)

So my problem is most likely from a botched install then? I wouldn't know why though...didn't have any fatal errors where i had to uninstall before installing. (except when it couldn't find a BG2 disc even though I didn't have one in, but thats in the BGT crash sticky topic and fixed)

Also, if only 6 CRE files are affected, only 6 special named merchants in BG2 are affected (i saw about 3 or 4 problematic ones in Waukeen's Promenade)

Edited by OldVeteran, 13 January 2007 - 02:31 AM.

--GhostNWN

#5 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:22 AM

Can you translate this text from german to english?
Dateiname existiert bereits, oder die Datei
konnte nicht gefunden werden.

#6 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:46 AM

Can you translate this text from german to english?

Dateiname existiert bereits, oder die Datei
konnte nicht gefunden werden.

File name exists already, or the file could not be found

ronin

#7 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

What he said :D
--GhostNWN

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:52 AM

It appears that when you tried to install BGT-WeiDU a previous time, you terminated the installation by closing the cmd. This left the BG1CRE folder remaining in your BG2 directory, so a whole bunch of files ended up being the old version, while a whole bunch of files end up replacing the BG2 version!

For all the following lines, you will experience a 'deja-vu' in BG2:

ren BG1CRE\CALAHA.CRE BGCALAHA.CRE
ren BG1CRE\CARBOS.CRE BGCARBOS.CRE
ren BG1CRE\FTOWN2.CRE BGFTOWN2.CRE
ren BG1CRE\FTOWN3.CRE BGFTOWN3.CRE
ren BG1CRE\FTOWN4.CRE BGFTOWN4.CRE
ren BG1CRE\GORF.CRE BGGORF.CRE
ren BG1CRE\IGIBBER.CRE BGIGIBB.CRE
ren BG1CRE\KNIGHT1.CRE BGKNIGH1.CRE
ren BG1CRE\MTOWN2.CRE BGMTOWN2.CRE
ren BG1CRE\MTOWN3.CRE BGMTOWN3.CRE
ren BG1CRE\MTOWN4.CRE BGMTOWN4.CRE
ren BG1CRE\MTOWN5.CRE BGMTOWN5.CRE
ren BG1CRE\NEB.CRE BGNEB.CRE
ren BG1CRE\ROGER.CRE BGROGER.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SENDAI.CRE BGSENDAI.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHANK.CRE BGSHANK.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP01.CRE BGSHOP01.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP03.CRE BGSHOP03.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP04.CRE BGSHOP04.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP06.CRE BGSHOP06.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP07.CRE BGSHOP07.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SHOP08.CRE BGSHOP08.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SKELWA.CRE BGSKELWA.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SKELWA02.CRE BGSKEL02.CRE
ren BG1CRE\SKELWA03.CRE BGSKEL03.CRE
ren BG1CRE\TARNOR.CRE BGTARNOR.CRE
ren BG1CRE\TAZOK.CRE BGTAZOK.CRE
ren BG1CRE\TOWNCR.CRE BGTOWNCR.CRE
ren BG1CRE\WILLIA.CRE BGWILLIA.CRE
ren BG1CRE\WILLIAM.CRE WILLIAM1.CRE

Tazok will cause problems with Firkraag (I think it's that dragon), and Sendai will break your ToB. I'm not too sure about the other ones. You could fix this by deleting all the files whose names appear FIRST in each line from your override directory. But be very careful if you have installed mods after BGT-WeiDU.

Edited by Ascension64, 13 January 2007 - 05:54 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#9 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

I've come across Tazok in SoA already and didn't have any troubles with him.
Looking at the other names, I don't think any of my current mods have made modifications to those? At least not that I could imagine.

Should those files actually be in the override in the first place or should they have come from elsewhere?
--GhostNWN

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

They got extracted from BG1, then they got thrown in the override. They end up staying in the override. As for the 'should' part, they shouldn't be there. :P

--------------
Retired Modder

#11 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:44 AM

Ah!
So if I just dump the first filename (SHOP01 as opposed to BGSHOP01) of each entry it should then be fine eh?
I'll just put em in another folder in case they are needed :)

Thanks for your help!
--GhostNWN

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:38 AM

Yep, that's correct. Good luck!

--------------
Retired Modder

#13 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:02 AM

Hmm I did what you said but its as it was before. I thought the override works retroactively?
--GhostNWN

#14 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

did you reload a savegame made before entering the area? If you didn`t pelase try doing so.

Edited by dragonian, 14 January 2007 - 11:12 AM.

#15 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

did you reload a savegame made before entering the area? If you didn`t pelase try doing so.

yep, unless i'm mistaken, the names of the merchants in areas you've already visited will remain broken, cos they're stored in the saved game - so unless you go back to a save from before you enter the area they're in, they'll stay the way they are (ie, broken). removing the other files will fix any creatures in areas you haven't yet visited, however.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#16 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

Or you can CTRL+Y them and spawn correct versions with CLUAConsole:CreateCreature().

That will set their SPRITE_IS_DEAD variables to 1, but I don't think any of them are being used in original scripts.

Edited by pro5, 14 January 2007 - 11:31 AM.

#17 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies :)
--GhostNWN

#18 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

Follow up:

According to Ascension, BGT caused those problems.
However, as I have been reinstalling some mods recently (mods that installed after BGT), all those files reappeared in the override and were causing problems again.

So I wonder whether those problem files are not due to BGT but maybe due to BP or one of my other mods instead? I mean BGT files would not be re-dumped into the override if it is not part of the reinstallation process....

Edited by OldVeteran, 19 January 2007 - 03:13 PM.

--GhostNWN

#19 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

Follow up:

According to Ascension, BGT caused those problems.
However, as I have been reinstalling some mods recently (mods that installed after BGT), all those files reappeared in the override and were causing problems again.

So I wonder whether those problem files are not due to BGT but maybe due to BP or one of my other mods instead? I mean BGT files would not be re-dumped into the override if it is not part of the reinstallation process....

Some files might mod those files, in which case uninstalling that mod restores the deleted CREs from that mod's Backup folder.

--------------
Retired Modder

#20 OldVeteran

OldVeteran
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

Hmmm so best to delete them from the backup folder of the offending mod?
--GhostNWN