Challenge #11: Aerie

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

Uh, I dunno. Kind of hard to make a robe seem less solid when it's only seven pixels wide. I'd have to remove parts of it.

I didn't much like the mage robes for females in the games. It's like... the whole party would know the colour of your underwear if there's a gust of wind, and that really didn't seem to be Aerie's style.

The guys' robes are much better. Game designers are OMGSEXIST. :o

Oh, i quite agree on the last thought... Anyhow, i'll have to rephrase my idea: the color of the dress looks heavy and solid; in game her clothes IMO are more yellowish and lighter in color otherwise. :ph34r:

And ahh, nice drawings people, and nice portrait that too, Iron.

Edited by WeeRLegion, 17 June 2007 - 10:35 AM.

#22 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:28 AM

...I think I had my reading comprehension turned off that day. *d'oh*

Anyway - the first version is more true to the Phantasy Star series since the old 16-bit games those sprites are based on used mostly similarly bright colours. With the proper ingame colours, she'll look something like this:

ps_aerie_v3.gif ps_aerie_v3_2.gif

Messing with sprites is fun. Everybody should try it. :lol:

#23 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

A pretty portrait from me!

aerie.jpg

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#24 IronOx

IronOx

Pyongs owns all

• 124 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

That portrait is amazing Ilmatar! It shows Aerie's innocence (or naivety if you're a hater) perfectly as well as showing her elegant and graceful side. My cheesy side loves Aerie, meaning I totally love that portrait :cheers:

Edited by IronOx, 18 June 2007 - 09:38 AM.

'The only way to get thru this gate is to go thru me first!' -Tadakatsu

#25 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hee, thanks IronOx! I don't particularly like Aerie, but I decided to be nice this time. :)

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#26 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:49 AM

A pretty portrait from me!

Despite not being Aerie's biggest fan, I'll have to agree that it is a very pretty portrait. :cheers:

#27 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:06 AM

That there picture is mighty perty! I wish her actual portrait was closer to this (sorry, Aerie fans, but I think she one weird-lookin' broad :P ). The only thing I'll point out, though, is her face actually looks kind of human to me. As an avariel, she ought to have bigger eyes, no? I could be wrong, I guess (wouldn't be the first time)...

Edited by Galsic, 18 June 2007 - 11:29 AM.

(I like parentheses.)

#28 Kitana

Kitana
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

Ilmatar, would you mind if I resized that for use ingame as Aerie's portrait? Just in my own game, not a mod or anything. ^_^

#29 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

That there picture is mighty perty! I wish her actual portrait was closer to this (sorry, Aerie fans, but I think she one weird-lookin' broad :P ). The only thing I'll point out, though, is her face actually looks kind of human to me. As an avariel, she ought to have bigger eyes, no? I could be wrong, I guess (wouldn't be the first time)...

I don't know about avariels having bigger eyes, but usually I don't draw elven people that different from humans. I usually give them lighter features and their eyes up lifted a little bit. I think the elven portraits in Baldur's Gate 2 were horrible - somehow especially Aerie and Jaheira's features were all twisted. :blink: Thanks for the kind words, though!

Ilmatar, would you mind if I resized that for use ingame as Aerie's portrait? Just in my own game, not a mod or anything. ^_^

Ooh you are more than welcome to! I'm glad you like it that much! :D

#30 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

Ooooh very pretty Ilmatar! I don't like Aerie much either but I love your pic. I hope I can resize her to use in my own game too but I'm not good at all with photoshop but that is provided you okay me using her in my own games too!

#31 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

Heh. Now I remember why I romanced Aerie the first time.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#32 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

Beautiful, and definitely more romanceable than the standard portrait!

Edited by cmorgan, 18 June 2007 - 06:11 PM.

#33 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:39 AM

She's very pretty, but she doesn't look like Aerie.

#34 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:54 AM

I would have to disagree. But meh.

Maybe not an exact replica of her portrait, but I still see Aerie instantly.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#35 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:39 AM

me too. I dont think her face has to look all sunken like she hasn't eaten for weeks. (like it does in the game) I always imagined Aerie as a pretty girl and the in-game picture just does not do her justice. Great job Ilmatar!
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#36 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:31 AM

Very nice. She looks sweet and innocent without feigning it. Her in-game picture always makes me doubt her sincerity.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#37 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:30 AM

Her in-game picture makes me wonder why I am romancing, marrying, and having lots of little half-elven kiddies that look like insects...

#38 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

I LIKE this Aerie even better than the pic In Game. (In the game she always looks like she's been Swacked on the back of the head once to often, but this pic is priceless.

My only (mild) complaint is that in the picture she looks like she's about eleven, which if you romance her, might be considered creepy.

Still... WONDERFUL Work!!!

Minotaur et' all.
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#39 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

I think Galsic has done something quite brave here in showing Aerie's scars. It does, however, lead to something that bothers me considerably when it comes to anything that flies and that is the requirement for a serious bit of anchorage for both the wings and the muscles that power them. Let's do a bit of interpolation from here:

http://www.candlekee...les/avariel.htm

and assume that the Avariel are very light boned. Taking note of this line:

'The hollow bones that enable them to fly make them frail, though their chests and shoulders are strong, powering their magnificent eagles' wings.'

It still bugs me that there is no mention of exactly how the wingroots are anchored. Before I continue, let me make it very clear that I am not - repeat, not - knocking Galsic's interpretation of Aerie's scars. Where Galsic has drawn the scars directly above the shoulderblade, there is simply nowhere to anchor anything useful there. Allowing for the statements of strength and weight in the DnD handbooks, I would expect the wingroots to stretch in a slight curve from the shoulders down as far as the waist. That way you have a lot of flexible bone underneath (the ribs) to create multiple anchorpoints and quite a lot of area to link the additional flight muscles to.

Of course, there is a downside; to have the strength in the flight muscles you need a good anchorpoint around the front (see the keelbone on a bird). Assuming that we don't want to get to quite that size (!), the muscle structure that an Avariel must have effectively rules out any female Avariel becoming a male teenage fantasy.

I've probably gone seriously OT here and before anyone demands that I illustrate what I preach, I can draw horses until the cows come home :), but I have no experience of drawing the human body as I've never studied it with a view to putting it to paper, as I have done with horses.

-Y-

A permanent LoR lurker.

#40 Xav

Xav
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

uh oh! :mellow:
(new pic in next post)

Edited by Xav, 21 June 2007 - 04:38 AM.