Photo

Alternative BG2 NPC Portraits

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#241 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Jaheira and Mazzy are really cute ^_^ Aerie... I think, she should be... more naive =) bigger eyes, maybe?

Actually, I believe using "naive" in reference to Mazzy is a contradiction in itself...she's one Halflind who *knows* what's going on.

That's just my opinion, of course.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#242 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

Jazhara, I think Mephala refered to Aerie as naive, not Mazzy. ;)

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#243 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:09 AM

Jazhara, I think Mephala refered to Aerie as naive, not Mazzy. ;)

Whoops! :doh:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't properly awake yet after all.

- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_- -_-

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!

#244 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Fantastic job! You actually made me like Edwin! (it's only cause he looks like Oded Fehr now :P)

*lies in wait for Anomen*

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#245 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:12 AM

Excuse the spam, but I just couldn't stand by and watch this page slip down to thread page 2.

It doesn't deserve this fate! :crying:

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#246 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:53 PM

It truly doesn't. :)

Great lineup there!!! Are you going to start on the BG1 npcs later? Please say yes.

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#247 Duroth

Duroth
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

Hmmmm this has been quiet for awhile.........

Anything new to add? ? :D

#248 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:30 AM

Hmmmm this has been quiet for awhile.........

Anything new to add? ? :D

My question exactly. <_<

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#249 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:35 AM

I think Ilmatar has been extremely busy in RL over the past month or so, but I wouldn't worry--she loves this project far too much to abandon it!

#250 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

I thought as much.

It just would've been nice to hear a peep every now and then. :crying:

#251 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

What about the tattoo on Aerie's forehead? Shouldn't you put that in?

BTw, really nice work, ESPECIALLY lvoe the cernd pic ^_^

Can't wait to see how you draw Haer'Dalis.
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#252 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

What about the tattoo on Aerie's forehead? Shouldn't you put that in?

BTw, really nice work, ESPECIALLY lvoe the cernd pic ^_^

Can't wait to see how you draw Haer'Dalis.

I haven't yet decided if I'll include the tattoos or not. Probably not. Just like it has been mentioned in this thread several times, these are supposed to be alternative.

Thanks for dropping by. :)

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#253 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

Just found this thread (can't believe I missed it!!!), and wanted to say...... Ilmatar, you can't leave us hanging like that, your work is brilliant!!! I love what you've done to Jaheira (no more of those silly braids, and she doesn't look as haughty, I don't feel like punching her in the face anymore!! :whistling: ), and Yoshimo as well (was kinda tricky, but you pulled off), and may I say that Edwin and Cernd look..... **HOT** :wub: (if I hadn't tried the Edwin Romance already, I'd run off and download it. But... where's the Yoshi romance? :crying: ). Looking forward to your Anomen portrait (and like Isilven said, I believe, "be gentle with him, he's my first love"! :rolleyes: ). So many congrats!!!!
Good luck with RL, and I'll be peeking in! :cheers:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#254 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

I know you will probably hate me for this, Ilmatar, but I think that while with Yoshimo you had problems on hitting the "Asian' look, with Aerie you succeeded instantly. She does look like half-Asian to me. o.O No idea why, probably the yes and hair texture is responsible for that (also, when I look at her portrait for some strange reason it brings to my mind Rihn from CA... No idea why -- there is this *something* in their expression that makes them similar in my mind's eye -> _-_)

Anyway, Edwin is just PERFECT. In fact he is so absolutely perfect, and has such a subtle charm to him that it is painfully obvious that you are... well a 'fangirl' is a bit extreme, but if you say so yourself ;). You must have loved the character and working on him, because it really, really shows.

Cernd is nice, and the only thing that bothers me in him is that strange angle of his chin, that you can see on the left because of the black hair that contrasts it. It seems that this part of his face was supposed to be obscured by his hair...? My point is that it looks a bit unnatural, unlike the right side which is perfect. Also, the hair on the left side is/looks longer. It may be just me, though.

I love Jaheira's expression - in my imagination she had grey-bluish eyes, but that is irrelevant as it is *your* alternative potrtait pack. However, I would change her lip position a bit. I think that it would look more natural is she had a bit thiner, longer lip-line, if you know what I mean... A tiny little bit *lower*, perhaps, as the point-ness of the chin looks a bit too... well, pointy (<-at this point I am amazed myself with my linguistic in-capability, lol). Her neckless seems to be hanging above her neck rather than resting at it -- and as I have a similar (only silver) necklace I know that it looks a tad different in nature. Perhaps scaling down it's shadow on the left side would help the perspective? No idea.

Something in Imoen's upper part of the face bothers me but I can't really put my finger on it. I tried covering parts of the picture with my hand and comparing the effect and I think it is the left upper part of her face, because when I cover the upper part with my hand - the lower looks perfect. When I cover the left part - the right looks perfect. So, whatever is wrong and makes it look unnatural to me is in the left-upper part. Now, I am not an artist and know next to nothing about perspective/body errors and such stuff, so I can't really be more specific, only that something is *wrong* here. Perhaps it is her left eye, perhaps it is the left chin and perhaps it is the scar -- imho probably all three. Separately they may be great, but together they need a little adjustment. The scar is a little to straight considering her expression (when you smile your face changes it shape, skin 'going' to the sides -- so the scar would look a bit more, hm, curved?), the eye too dark and a tiny % too far in the left direction, the chin only a bit too much 'visible' compared to the right side - I really don't know. But I am *trying* to be constructive here. And failing miserably, as it seems.

Viconia - now, this is hard because imho it is the worst portrait in the pack. I think it is her lips and the right eye that rubs me up the wrong way. Also, the right ear seems to be slightly misplaced - I think it should be a bit higher and more 'removed' to the back, otherwise, compared to the left one (which is perfect) it looks like growing from the contour of the face rather then the actual ear. Again, maybe it is only me.

Hope you won't hit me for this rant, Ilmatar. Too painfully, that is ;).
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#255 Cykuta

Cykuta
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:00 AM

I have to say I like the lack of symmetry in Cernd's chin. It makes him look older, sort of "bent-with-use", if you know what I mean. Too much perfection in the line, and you get characters which all look 21 years old, wrinkles or no wrinkles.
Guess what? I've started a blog! Kitchen Witchcraft : of Magic and Macaroni.

#256 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:50 AM

Um...I just realised, like Yoshimo, Edwin seems to have a bit of rash, too. It's in the corners of skind at th his beard. And Yoshimo's is still a bit at the top of his face, on his ear, and near his beard, too.

- :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!

#257 Mahng

Mahng
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

I think it's great! Blonde hair is ok but I think I prefer brown as there is a developed connection of brunettes to a more conservative personality (though this stereotype is likely unwarranted). I like that the face is not too glamoury but I think it could be still less so for Jaheira - more practical, maybe a little stern. I'm attaching the portrait I think suits her best for my games. Ears are fine - could be smaller or not.
Good Luck! Looking forward to seeing more!

Attached Files

#258 Wounded_Lion

Wounded_Lion
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:49 AM

You are a wonderful artist, and I love your style. Having said that, I'll offer some constructive criticism. Feel free to curse me to the Hells for eternity if I offend in any way... ;)

Aerie: Her eyes are waaay too far apart, and the upper part of the bridge of her nose is too wide.

Cernd: His right shoulder (which is on our left) is just a teeny bit too low.

Edwin: The sparkle/reflection of both the earring and cloak clasp are a bit too pronounced.

Imoen: Her neck is slightly too thick.

Jaheira: OMG, she's perfect and I'm in love.

Mazzy: Great face and expression, but her armor seems to be of noticeably lower quality than the clothing in the other portraits.

Nalia: She looks as if she's craning her head foward a bit too much, making her look slightly dumb/retarded/slow-in-the-head. Also, her headband might look better shifted upwards a bit.

Viconia: The cheeks are a bit... strange, and the center-stones of the headpiece might look better shifted slightly to the left (towards the center of her forehead). Otherwise great... and damn sexy!

Yoshimo: Good. No probs here.

I'm looking foward to your take on Korgan (a favorite character of mine). I'd recommend either a focused/grim look or a grinning-as-I-share-a-joke-with-CHARNAME-and-bury-my-axe-in-a-kobold's-head look.

aWL

EDIT: additional comments

Edited by Wounded_Lion, 18 April 2008 - 05:09 AM.

#259 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

Aerie: Her eyes are waaay too far apart, and the upper part of the bridge of her nose is too wide.

Personally, I just think she needs bigger eyes. Dun even look like an elf if ye ask me, but as I understand it, Ilmatar isn't into drawing them big eyes, so...

Imoen: Her neck is slightly too thick.

I believe Ilmatar is accounting for the muscle (I think it's muscle, anyway) that sticks out when one turns his/her head, especially to the degree that Imoen does in that portrait.

Nalia: She looks as if she's craning her head foward a bit too much, making her look slightly dumb/retarded/slow-in-the-head.

I kind of agree, I think her neck could use a bit of a shift, but more than that, while I can't see Nalia's body past the portrait, given its apparent orientation in the portrait, it looks as if Nalia can stand to have a bigger body (wider, at least). Looks kinda small in relation to her head :/ , at least to me.

Edited by Galsic, 18 April 2008 - 08:23 AM.

(I like parentheses.)

#260 Mahng

Mahng
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

All of these are VERY. good! Imoen is the best with her expression. I think this is the most important factor (which I think is missing in many of the BGII portraits - BGI portraits were better in this regard). I do want to put in a request though that you add more depth - as in your self-portrait. I know it would take more investment of time but I think it would be worth it. Though I also realize the more simplistic look is possibly the style you are going for.