Monster drawings for a Campaign setting

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#21 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

Well...I think I'm about as done with the Guardian Beast as I'll ever be. If there are changes I think I can make, I'll update.
img042.jpg

I'll try to color the Ironsoul next, but in the meantime...

Edited by Galsic, 29 April 2008 - 11:44 AM.

(I like parentheses.)

#22 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:51 PM

:woot:

:crying:

:Bow: :Bow: :Bow:

:hug:

:cheers:

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#23 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:34 AM

If you'll pardon the comment...

ZOMG! Maaaan, I want a pet like that beastie thingy!
Really neat. :D

#24 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:08 AM

If you'll pardon the comment...

ZOMG! Maaaan, I want a pet like that beastie thingy!
Really neat. :D

Sorry, my campaign setting (and other D&D stuff ;)) tend to be unable to let you play a deity (Guardian Beast also known as Roeth's Pet (deity of this campaign setting)). You could become one as druid with the epic feat to shapechange into Magical beasts though... ;)
To get a bit back more, yeah those tears were tears of hapiness Galsic did wonderful. I have full confidence for the Ironsoul (and later the Daeceo and (hopefully) the Almarini)

Oh, and hopefully even more of course ;) There are still some entries open :P

Edited by Deathsangel, 13 September 2007 - 04:10 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.

Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly

#25 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:26 AM

Fantastic artwork Galsic! I'm glad to see you working on this. :)

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#26 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:44 AM

Okay, since Galsic wonderful drawing is drawing (pun intended ;)) some good amount of attention, perhaps other great or amateur artists from around here want to try out some of the stuff???
I mean, as said kowtowing and a HUGE I.O.U. (yes, Galsic you will get double ;)) as well as credit in the book (hm... that reminds me to PM you).
I am open for anything... actually got a few more ideas of newly monsters, when I finished with them I will post them, but still... there are still a few things people haven't tried.
Guardian Beast, Ironsoul, Daeceo and Almarini are taken at the moment (I would like to avoid people cutting other's people grass away in front of their nose so to say), but there are still: Eldritch Elemental, The Hurglim, Asu- & Tratu-fiend, a Megom (or two) (all of them is probably too much, but would be neat) and a Restless.
I'll gladly provide more info if needed...

#27 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:26 AM

I'm glad you like it, Deathsangel, and I appreciate the other comments, as well :) . It's been fun, so far!

I must admit I haven't started coloring the Ironsoul, yet. Instead, I spent some time brainstorming this and that for the tentacled construct. Yes, I've decided to attempt it. What I have below is actually a hodgepodge of different elements I won't necessarily use in the real drawing I intend to attempt. My idea is the construct is largely a mass of wires and cables underneath its plating and the tentacles are twisting bundles of some of those cables. I guess for this to make more sense, I'll probably have to give it more girth than what I have below. Beyond that, well...whatcha think?

Edited by Galsic, 29 April 2008 - 11:44 AM.

(I like parentheses.)

#28 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:51 AM

Cool, you want to give it a try :D

What do I think of it... To be honest (which they always say pays off in the end) it is not quite what I had in mind. Than again it hard to find anything like I have in mind... and it is not that far off of what I had in mind. Hell, can't draw myself.

I am uploading a few pictures and try to explain by the combination of them what I had in mind. I am thinking as for the bulk in more like this mech-thing, but more gears and wires visible (as is within your drawning, or here with the modrons and 'yellow robot' (especially the limbs)).
I see the tentacle as thick at the base and becoming smaller and smaller, which is in your case, but you use several wires for it so to say. I love the electricity sparks though that is really cool!
Know that these Megoms, as said in the description, are true technological stuff and not magical ones. I say this for a grouped bunch of wired combinened under an armor, gives me a bit too much the feal of Blood Golem of Hextor (Golem of Blood with Armor on).
I was think of their electric tentacle/whip being stuck to their arm, up untill half of the forearm, as for the golems to be able to use it more like a whip and thus have a better explanation for how they can handle it.

Goo Maker (Type IV)
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 11d10 + 30 (90 hp)
Speed: 30 feet. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +13 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+17
Attack: Metal whip +13 (1d6 + 1d6 electric /x2)
Full Attack: 2 Metal whips +13 (1d6 + 1d6 electric/x2) and 2 Slams +8 (2d6 + 5/x2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft./10 ft. (slam) or 20 ft. (metal whip)
Special Attacks: System shock
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, mechanical golem traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 14, Con ?, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 1
Feats: Ability focus (system shock), Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

COMBAT
A Goo Maker, named so for its ability to turn brains into jelly, is programmed to try and keep distance between itself and opponents as much as possible, making good use of its combat reflexes. It only uses its power attack on slam attacks against opponents doing serious damage to the construct. It has a lot more battery power than its counterparts in order to supply for its juice.
System Shock: If a Goo maker manages to catch an opponent with both its metal whips it can discharge an enormous amount of electricity. This causes 6d6 of electric damage as well as 1d6 of Intelligence damage, of which the first point of damage is permanent and the rest temporarily damage. A successful fortitude save (DC 16) halves the both damage (electric and intelligence) and saves against the permanent damage. The save is Constitution based and includes a +4 racial bonus.

edit: Added large parts of the statistcs block and worded a few things better/different after taking another look and what I think of

Edited by Deathsangel, 14 September 2007 - 04:56 AM.

#29 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:04 AM

My feeling is the designs of the first two you posted seem too sci-fi-ish for what I thought was more of a fantasy setting with technology only beginning to rise, but if that's what you hand in mind, then ok; it is your campaign setting. It's probably beyond my technological vision, though (in terms of my art, sci-fi just isn't my thing :( ).

That yellow one seems more appropriate to me, but fundamentally speaking, it's not that far off from what I had goin' (which would have changed, anyway, though not that much).

Heh, for your sake, I'd probably be better off considering your other monster options, instead :ph34r: .
(I like parentheses.)

#30 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:14 AM

Your are welcome to try anything of course, but as said the first two pictures are more for bulk. Not how I want them to look!
The world has had a rough 800 years of technological development, but it went different. Seeing the world is more stable (yes I am chemist/biologist) some things become harder. Bullets will not 'simply' penetrate armor, seeing their proportional armors are denser. Since fuel and explosions are harder, their are no aeroplanes and no rockets like the modern day one (bullets fly also less fast herefore, so that is why it all can be done).
So, yeah in some way tech is way behind and somethings advanced. I mean hear we don't have robots like a Megom, so that is already more advanced. As said, what I am looking for is:

The build of the yellow one/modron with the bulk/plating of the upper two. I don't want them to look that massive. Please, do show wires and gears (and perhaps even a pump (like you use to bring air in the tire of your bike)), and weaknesses. They shouldn't be all powerful, that is correct.
So, I think we are closer to one another than it now seems to go. I indeed don't want Sci-fi. I am looking, as they call it, for fantasy meets cyberpunk. Technology with a wonderous feeling.

So, in short: Your drawing looks already pretty good. I would just like to see more gith, indeed, and more gear like structure.
You may also try other creations of course, but it is indeed not meant to be sci-fi! I don't want a copy of a mech (the first picture), it is meant for inspiration for bulk.

Also found this, which isn't quite right, but gives a very good feeling of what I want. The arms here may be more like yours with wires, than a mini Eifeltower type of construction, but it is the closest thing I can find (I love these long waiting steps in experiments ;)).
This gives a better idea of combination of gears and wires and pumps, but looks to futuristic.
I also made the other pictures links, to let this topic not go clothered and found a better mech picture, if still to sci-fi, but with more the joints like I envision them.

Edited by Deathsangel, 14 September 2007 - 05:08 AM.

#31 wonnimchunha

wonnimchunha
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

How bout this?
(I started on the coloring already... is there a specific skin color?)

Attached Images

• img002_color.jpg

#32 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

Medium-sized Monstrous Humanoid
An armor clad muscular monstrous humanoid with long black hair and a purple/pink skin comes charging towards you. His battle cry gives you a look at his small fanged teeth.

Almarini look like a powerful build human. Their heights vary between 6 feet and 7 feet and they have long black hair. Some also have some facial hair or hair on their arms, but this is rare. Their teeth are like small fangs with the corner ones being slightly larger, but they aren?t wicked enough to cause any real bite damage. Their hands are like talons of a reptile, known to ripe adventurers apart. Their skin ranges from a dark pink/purple to light purple/blue color.

:woot: :cheers: Sweet! That begins to look very good wonnimchunha! So, cool you could add the changes.

When I look at him now, I have to say it seems as if his doesn't hold his scimitar too well (I don't care much it is backward in his hand ;) really no need to change it, it his talon that is attacking here ;). Just to show you one uses the curving part as it is for the slashing, see here). His talon is rather open, I think it would help if the 'thumb talon" would twist inward going "in-between" the other ones. However, you probably know more of that than me. I also think it needs a little bent at the elbow, this would could make it than closer to the body, for it now seems slightly disconnected and somewhat short. Or of course a total different sollution. You are the artist, I am just noticing it ;)

I reposted the description, so you can see that they have purple, strong pink skin. Not pink like they call europeans, but really more like a light purple, flowing over in a dark pinkish colour so to say.

Edited by Deathsangel, 16 September 2007 - 10:40 AM.

#33 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:01 AM

Here ye go. If there's anything you'd like changed, I'll let you know if it can be done, 'k :) ?

Edit: Final edit maybe :whistling: ?

Edited by Galsic, 29 April 2008 - 11:46 AM.

(I like parentheses.)

#34 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:11 AM

I love it! :cheers:

Only thing I would like to see are pupils. Now they almost give me a bit of odd demonic feeling with their eyes.
So, I would like to order the addition of two black dots, like normal human eyes, if possible of course ;)

Edited by Deathsangel, 17 September 2007 - 12:14 AM.

#35 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:49 AM

Methinks we had a bit of a misunderstanding about the eyes. Thankfully, I can make minor changes on the computer ^_^ . My last post has two edits for you to choose from.
(I like parentheses.)

#36 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:17 AM

Methinks we had a bit of a misunderstanding about the eyes.

Yeah, I guess I had meant with bright blue the iris not the eye. My mistake for being unclear :whistling: Oh well, I choose... the right one ^_^ It looks nicely human, but still somewhat blue eyes. It works fine with the armor. Thanks.

edit: Okay, a bit a fool to ask it so late, but is it possible to add a little bit of grass somewhere behind the dagger or so... I just got the idea when looking at the picture of the Halfling in the Monster Manual. That gives a good indication they are small. It is more of a beautification than anything, so if it is too late than that is perfectly acceptable. It is already wonderful as it is.

Can't wait to see what come up with for the Goo Maker... or other ones of course :P

Guess I need to go and edit my first post, about what is still available and I am have go t a new one: The Gazer. I'll post it their aswell.

Edited by Deathsangel, 17 September 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#37 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:02 AM

Same post edited. This time it took a bit of work, too ^_^ ;. Note that the length of the grass was made in relation to the dagger much more than the Ironsoul. T'is the best I could do, so I hope it works for ya.

Can't wait to see what come up with for the Goo Maker... or other ones of course tongue.gif

At this point I think I shall take a brief break from this little project to hit up some other things I've been meaning to do (y'know, like the fanart challenge ;) ). Or at least I'll get back to it eventually (still gots dibs on the Goo Maker :D ).
(I like parentheses.)

#38 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:49 AM

Who, that is a lot of grass.. I had just meant a bit of it, as with the Halfling picture. Now it's wonderful shoes are gone :crying:.... Jeez I am a perfectionist... I ought to slap myself. It does make him seem smaller as the grass is tall in comparison to his feet... argh... I need professional help for my head <_< and a help from a friend to say which one is better.

Edit: Just noticed a little piece of his armor got chipped of in the revision... His right shoulder pad (for us left) is not halfly removed...

At least thanks a million, as said many times before, for the wonderful drawings (and patience ;)). Succes with the fanart challenge. I'll keep the Goo Maker listed to your name and will await your return.

Still got enough excitement for the Almarini and the Daeceo.

Edited by Deathsangel, 17 September 2007 - 03:54 AM.

#39 wonnimchunha

wonnimchunha
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

Here is a mid-progress report... :ph34r:

Attached Images

• mediumhumanoid.jpg

#40 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

wonnimchunha, that looks absolutely fantastic! I love the coloring so far and the composition is nice and dynamic. I hope to see more of your drawings here on Layers of Reality!

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.