• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:59 PM

This sounds really cool. I'd propose even adding a "post office" instead of just a Gnome somewhere in Athkatla. City Gates, possibly? :)

Can't wait to see more. :)

Spoiler
:huh:

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#22 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

Not a clue Seb :lol:
Not a single clue... and to think I'm also to blame :D

(Maybe a weird attempt at causing blindness maybe? ;) )

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#23 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yes, I like the idea. I'd have to see the actual content to give a final verdict, but on paper it looks very good.

SConrad's idea about a postal office sounds about right, too.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#24 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:44 PM

And with Gnomes running things there's bound to be an occasional (possibly hilarious) mishap...
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#25 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

Jansen Delivery Service?
A turnip a mail will ensure speedy unsuccess? :lol:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#26 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

I'm really pleased at the positive reception! :D

@ Kellen: we've given the runner vs pickup dilemma a lot of thought, and we've decided to have letter pick-up instead. That way, you can have many things waiting for you at once, for your party NPCs as well, and not have multiple people turning up. It's also for our peace of mind! (After Luxley SoA bugtesting, neither of us want to see the back end of a complex script ever again!;))

ETA: Thank you, jcompton. Your comment warms the cockles of my heart.

Hehe, you said... :P

A pickup does sound more convenient, especially per SConrad's idea of a post office. Would the letters be given by an NPC or found in a post-office-type-box?

And will the first person who suggests sending things by owl be Made To Suffer[TM] (...ooh, I know the answer *waves hand*) ;)

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#27 Feuille

Feuille
  • Modder
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:47 AM

Hehe, you said... :P

A pickup does sound more convenient, especially per SConrad's idea of a post office. Would the letters be given by an NPC or found in a post-office-type-box?

And will the first person who suggests sending things by owl be Made To Suffer[TM] (...ooh, I know the answer *waves hand*) ;)

Oh, shush <_<! But owls aside, throwing gnomes into the mix will be definitely a road to strange happenings. It's one reason we thought gnomes: that way if you want silly, you can have it.

Mystery, self-deception and shameless flirting. Rejoice, for the Luxley family is now released!

Sweet tooth? Why don't you try out Nathaniel? Now out for SoA and ToB!

#28 Miss Sakaki

Miss Sakaki

Modder

• Modder
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:50 AM

The way we'd envisaged it would be going over to the delivery guy and asking if he had anything for you or your party rather than a pickup point.

A post office type place would be cool - and being in the City Gates would be even cooler, since even with Quest Pack additions there isn't really that much of interest there - but I wouldn't want us to add a whole new area. Having said that, we could have more than one gnome there, with uniforms and each with a different job - one to send things, one to receive, one for parcels. That way it would feel more like a business venture rather than a random one-off guy.

#29 Belladonna

Belladonna
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:23 AM

Please combine this with Romantic Encounters. I think even when <CHARNAME> isn't around to give

Spoiler
a
Spoiler
, <PRO_HESHE> should be able to send a
Spoiler
promising to do so at some later
Spoiler

That seems about right.
Posted Image
Through inner peace leads to enlightenment.
Alora a mod in progress by yours truly.
My food mod.

#30 SaintZenn

SaintZenn

Best game ever

• 419 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:35 PM

I really love the idea. It would be fun to send some junk mail Edwin's way. I can't help teasing my favorite mage :P
My Deviantart account

Mme. Thenardier:
I used to dream that I would meet a prince
But God Almighty, have you seen what's happened since?
Master of the house? Isn't worth me spit!
`Comforter, philosopher' and lifelong sh*t!
Cunning little brain, regular Voltaire
Thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there
What a cruel trick of nature landed me with such a louse
God knows how I've lasted living with this bastard in the house!

#31 Miss Sakaki

Miss Sakaki

Modder

• Modder
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:31 AM

Here are some screenshots of the delivery gnomes. This is the talk that fires the first time that you meet them. We're not sure about the location, as the City Gates area is so little that there's a slight lag when they appear; also, what does everyone think about the payment amounts?

Introducing Egbert, Oswald and Renata Togglebank!

Attached Files

#32 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:25 AM

Please combine this with Romantic Encounters. I think even when <CHARNAME> isn't around to give Hendak a handjob, <PRO_HESHE> should be able to send a letter promising to do so at some later date.

This just cured a headache. :D Lovesick letters to Jon Irenicus will, of course, conquer all.

(Still away, it was just a "I saw that!" moment).

RE: The idea. It has been partially implemented in X-Files game via protagonist's PDA(the player was able to send each report to his parents, his friend, his boss, a few others), and it worked quite well. In BG2, though, I suspect more than a few letters will remain unanswered.

#33 Miss Sakaki

Miss Sakaki

Modder

• Modder
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

In BG2, though, I suspect more than a few letters will remain unanswered.

I'm not sure what you mean, I'm afraid. Do you mean that it would be unrealistic to have replies from certain people?

#34 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

Yes, yes what a wonderful idea.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.