Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

Drows%20portraits.png
File Name: Drows
File Submitter: Daulmakan
File Submitted: 30 Dec 2010
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods

This mod changes the partys vanilla NPCs' portraits to drow variants after Adalon casts her Polymorph spell over the party. Portrait changes will last until she changes you back or you kill her instead, as well as getting discovered by either Ardulace, the Demon Lord, Phaere, or Solaufein; reaching the Underdark exit will also dispel the portrait changes. Apart from this, the quest for Adalons eggs is untouched. Both Large and Small portraits are included for each NPC, save for Viconia and Yoshimo, who are not included for obvious reasons. It should be compatible with BG2 Tweaks' No Drow Avatars on Party component if installed BEFORE it.

Click here to download this file

Edited by Daulmakan, 15 January 2013 - 03:14 PM.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#2 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:23 AM

First of all, well done; always wondered why this hadn't been done!

Secondly:

Portrait changes will last until she changes you back, or you kill her instead; the quest for her eggs is otherwise untouched.

Will they also revert if you break the drow disguise in any other way, e.g. attacking 'friendly' drow in Ust Natha?

#3 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

First of all, well done; always wondered why this hadn't been done!

Me too. :)

Secondly:

Portrait changes will last until she changes you back, or you kill her instead; the quest for her eggs is otherwise untouched.

Will they also revert if you break the drow disguise in any other way, e.g. attacking 'friendly' drow in Ust Natha?

Hmm. Good question. They won't, as I only had in mind the "classical" ways of dispelling it. I destroyed Ust Natha in my 3rd playthrough or so for the novelty, but never repeated it since and it slipped my mind. The "disguise" is made worthless, for sure, but do ther avatars actually get dispelled when Ust Natha gets hostile?

Taking too long to do one of the quests there might pose a similar issue I presume...

#4 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

This is pretty darn nifty!

If I ever play the game again, I will be using this mod. I have to agree with Prune about how this mod should have been done before.

Quick question - it is doubtful I will make the time to do this, but if I do, would you mind if I made a Baldur's Goth version of this mod (by editing your portraits)?

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 04 January 2011 - 11:13 AM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#5 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Quick question - it is doubtful I will make the time to do this, but if I do, would you mind if I made a Baldur's Goth version of this mod (by editing your portraits)?

Not at all.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Methinks the faces should be dark and the hair white, but the armour and clothing shouldn't change colour, no?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Methinks the faces should be dark and the hair white, but the armour and clothing shouldn't change colour, no?

I considered that at first, since it was the "proper" characterization, but discarded it because of 3 reasons: 1) I didn't really like the contrast between much darker faces and the same (mostly) brighted colored armors/robes. 2) Likewise, I liked giving the clothings a bit of a darker touch (the background landscape for each portrait remains unchanged, though); 3) Last, but not least, it would've meant more work, and I'm still a low-leveled Photoshoppist. :P

#8 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

Secondly:

Hmm. Good question. They won't, as I only had in mind the "classical" ways of dispelling it. I destroyed Ust Natha in my 3rd playthrough or so for the novelty, but never repeated it since and it slipped my mind. The "disguise" is made worthless, for sure, but do ther avatars actually get dispelled when Ust Natha gets hostile?

Taking too long to do one of the quests there might pose a similar issue I presume...

Have you looked into if this is actually the case? :)

#9 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

Doing a quick glance with Infinity Explorer, the only place the drow animation change is scripted to happen is in Adalon's Lair (regardless if Ust Natha is hostile or not), so there shouldn't be a discrepancy with the avatars being dispelled but not the drow portraits.

#10 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

Doing a quick glance with Infinity Explorer, the only place the drow animation change is scripted to happen is in Adalon's Lair (regardless if Ust Natha is hostile or not), so there shouldn't be a discrepancy with the avatars being dispelled but not the drow portraits.

Actually, you can also be changed back by Ardulace and the Lesser Demon Lord, if you take too long to complete any of the tasks, etc (assuming we are talking about the UNDER_NORM transformation here).

#11 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:08 AM

Actually, you can also be changed back by Ardulace and the Lesser Demon Lord, if you take too long to complete any of the tasks, etc (assuming we are talking about the UNDER_NORM transformation here).

Oops, you're right, Wisp, I wrongly searched for DROW_CHANGE instead. Thanks for the heads up.

The check you mention seems to be in Baldur.bcs. And weirdly enough, I think there's some stuff with the Potion of Squirrel Change (?) to change you back too, unused apparently. Didn't know about that one.

Adding stuff to Baldur.bcs is generally frowned upon, right? I don't think this issue merits adding another block, the mod's scope is extremely low key to justify it, and I have no personal interest in doing it either. I think it'd be easier for everyone if you don't get caught by the Matron and the Demon at all.

#12 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:28 AM

The check you mention seems to be in Baldur.bcs.

There's also udardul.dlg and uddemon.dlg.

Adding stuff to Baldur.bcs is generally frowned upon, right?

For getting caught by Solaufein or Phaere, you could probably add the actions to the appropriate transitions in their dialogues. The same should work with Ardulace & fiend.

Since you are doing the same thing to all the scripts, you can condense your code quite a bit by copying them all at once, instead of copying them one at a time.

Edited by Wisp, 31 August 2011 - 03:28 AM.

#13 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

Excellent suggestions for Daulmakan ;)

#14 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

Heh, as usual, Wisp was very kind and thorough indeed, but I don't trust myself adding dialogue transitions to vanilla .DLGs, and frankly, I don't think it's worth the work anyway (plus, my modding time has been cut short due to RL).

#15 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I think it'd be easier for everyone if you don't get caught by the Matron and the Demon at all.

Heh, as usual, Wisp was very kind and thorough indeed, but I don't trust myself adding dialogue transitions to vanilla .DLGs, and frankly, I don't think it's worth the work anyway (plus, my modding time has been cut short due to RL).

Aww..! :)
Just so I know, if I DO end up getting caught - when and how can/will I revert to normal portraits?

#16 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Just so I know, if I DO end up getting caught - when and how can/will I revert to normal portraits?

You can shadowkeep the original portraits back at any time.

#17 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

You can shadowkeep the original portraits back at any time.

Gotcha, thnx.

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Dunno if I'd trust myself either, but Wisp could probably code it in 2 minutes. In which case, it might be worth the work, just adding the same block to a handful of dialogues.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#19 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Dunno if I'd trust myself either, but Wisp could probably code it in 2 minutes. In which case, it might be worth the work, just adding the same block to a handful of dialogues.

It is not difficult.
If Daulmakan does not mind the potential for upkeep, I guess I can take a look at it. But I will have to get my BG2 stuff back up first.

#20 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

If Wisp is willing, I guess it's OK. :)