• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:04 AM

Before I actually start out with presenting her character concept, I'd like to say a few things.

1: While yes, my fanfic (horribly slow and with only mediocre writing at best) is based on this character, it's not canon.

2: This is the first NPC I've ever come up with, so please don't hurt me.

3: I'm going to finish the BG1 part of the mod (if I even get that far) before I even start thinking about BG2.

There we go!

Name: Emmeline
Race: Elf
Class: Thief (Kit, just don't know what to name it yet!)
Advantages: Bard song, slightly higher lore value than normal thieves
Disadvantages: Max backstab multiplier is 3x, cannot set traps
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Personal item: Yes, one.

Strength: 12
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 11
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 9
Charisma: 15

Total: 81

---
Romanceable: Yes (Male humans, half-elves and elves with at least 10 charisma, and not necromancers.)
Friendship track: Yes (with all races but dwarves)
She also has a track for a dwarven PC. Don't expect it to be very friendly to begin with, though.

---

BG1 BIO: When you ask her about her past, EMMELINE grins and tells you stories of her career as a freelance thief in Beregost, where you met her. Apparently, she's spent the last few decades pickpocketing and playing pranks on nobles.. or running from the guards. However, when you ask her something about her life before she took up on thieving, the smile disappears from her face and is replaced with grief and sadness.. and although she tells you that she was raised in the elven city of Suldanessellar, she does not elaborate. Emmeline is apparently uncomfortable with the topic, and grows silent.

---

Emmeline is rather lively, cheerish and outgoing - not to a fault, however, she mellows down from time to time. She also has difficulties getting over the death of her family and her unintentional exile from Suldanessellar. When she's in a good mood, though, she is somewhat of a chatterbox - she has opinions about pretty much everything, and she tends to state them, loudly. And as if that wasn't enough, she's impulsive and rarely thinks before she acts.

She is rather playful and lighthearted, and she has problems with most people who aren't, at least to begin with - Ajantis, for one, but also Branwen, Dynaheir and Jaheira. She is admittedly silly and childish at times, although this will mostly show with a PC who romances her and she really lets down her guard.

Emmeline doesn't seem to know when to shut up, nor is she good at picking up subtle hints or see things from someone elses point of view. This can make her come across as harsh, sometimes, and while she certainly has a cruel streak she wouldn't intentionally try to hurt them that way. For example, she won't have the best of relations with Anomen *cough*, but when his sister dies, using it as an opportunity to hurt him would be the furthest thing from her mind, even if she accidently does.

Due to her youth and inexperience, she is very innocent and naive - not oblivious, no no, but she will be very much dreaming of "prince Charming". Emmeline wants a deep relationship, like, "love eternal". Of course, she'd be willing to fool herself into almost ANYTHING just to not be disappointed in love, which she views with a child's curiosity and wide-eyed wonder - up until a certain point, naturally. This is kind of fun, since she abhors Skie's devotion to Eldoth and keeps urging her to dump him, without realizing she'd probably do the same herself if in the same situation.

While Emmeline is certainly very agile when she's concentrated (see her DEX stat), she's easily distracted and her attention span is rather short. And as soon as she loses focus she becomes clumsy. She trips, she breaks things, she spills stuff, she stumbles.. the usual.

(I can only imagine what it'd be like having her and Linu from NWN in the same party.. doom of the multiverse? Anyway.)

She hates dwarves. She absolutely abhors, loathes, and disdains them. (A dwarven PC has to score a charisma check to even get her to join you, and she'll never form more than a grudging friendship with him/her.) She won't get along with them, she'll suggest violence or in the best case indifference when it comes to them, and she won't be interested in helping them. She has good reasons to hate them - a group of dwarves ambushed and killed her entire family when she was a child.

Ah yes, her past. She's born and raised in Suldanessellar, but has lived in Beregost (where you'll meet her) for the last three decades or so. She was travelling with her family to Evereska when they got attacked by dwarves. Emmeline was the only one to survive (well, except for the dwarves who mistook her for being dead and left her to rot) and was found about a day later by human smugglers who took her to their hometown of Beregost, where she has lived since.

I don't know what else to write. You encounter her at nighttime outside a house in Beregost. If you prod her enough, she admits to being a thief and breaking into the house. If you prod her some more, she tells you that she's not planning to steal anything - although she, um, can't promise she won't - but to retrieve something which was stolen from her (a dagger +1 with 1d4 cold damage - will be upgradeable). If you offer to help her, she'll join you. Once you've gotten the dagger, she'll stay with you forever unless your reputation drops too low.

And, um, that's it. Subject to heavy changing. Please don't polymorph me into a toad.

Edited by Choo Choo, 28 September 2007 - 06:15 AM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#2 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:56 AM

Looks good neenuvar, certainly a dean'masnaia in my opinion, but it should be fun to see how it goes. :)

And yeah, if you ever want my help with it, feel free to give me a call anytime, lisse' ravenne
. ^_^

Edit: :D

Edited by Solar's Harper, 28 September 2007 - 02:00 AM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#3 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:34 AM

Hey, look! Another BG1 NPC! Cool!

BG1 could do with a thief mod NPC, so it's off to a good start. But there were a couple things that kind of stood out as raising an eyebrow.

She's got a 19 dex, but she's sometimes clumsy when flustered. She's got an 18 charisma, but she displays personality traits that might not be considered attractive ("Emmeline doesn't seem to know when to shut up, nor is she good at picking up subtle hints or see things from someone elses point of view. This can make her come across as harsh, sometimes, and while she certainly has a cruel streak she wouldn't intentionally try to hurt them that way.") Since it's probably a lot to ask that anyone should be the most dextrous creature possible of his or her race *and* be the most influential, maybe knock a point off both. If you wanted to maintain the same stat total, you could distribute them somewhere else, like strength or con.

But stats are probably about the last thing you should worry about, and the easiest to change. Keep an open mind, and you'll do just fine!

Also, I don't know if you planned to make this mod "just BGT", but you might want to check cmorgan's tutorial at G3 entitiled "Crossing the Great Divide." It's got some very useful information about writing a NPC that will be able to work on Tutu or BGT. Believe me, it's a heck of a lot easier to do it from the outset than it is to convert it later on.

Sorry if this sounds like a lot of criticism. The character concept is good, and I'd like to see it go forward. Apart from things like portraits, stats are probably the easiest things to change during the course of NPC development.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#4 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:39 AM

Good point - I think I'll knock her dexterity down to 18, I think (she's very agile as long as she's focused, still, so don't want to put it lower), and her charisma down to.. say.. 15? We'll see, it also depends on how her banters turn out.

I'll look up the tutorial. *nods* If I feel ambitious, maybe I can make one version of her which works with BGT and one which works with Tutu? But, ah, before I start thinking on such things I should perhaps finish up who she is first.

Thanks for the feedback, and the encouraging. :3

#5 Feuille

Feuille
  • Modder
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:24 AM

Though I'm not brilliantly versed in the hard-coded aspects of the game, I'm very sure you can't add the bard song button to a modded thief kit. If you really wanted her to have it then you'd need to create a spell that had the same effects and put on the little music icon on everyone's portraits, but was accessed as, perhaps, a special ability.

Mystery, self-deception and shameless flirting. Rejoice, for the Luxley family is now released!

Sweet tooth? Why don't you try out Nathaniel? Now out for SoA and ToB!

#6 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:34 AM

Hmm.. Yes, that'd work to. :3 Thanks. I'm so new to this it's ridiculous.

#7 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:11 AM

How far you go with that depends on a number of things.

First of all, are you more interested in telling her story, or giving her a cool custom kit? If it's the latter, you can go ahead, make up the spell, and see what you can do with it. If it's the former, you can always imply that she's bardically inclined through banters, interjection choices, etc. Fussing with a custom kit will steal a lot of modding time. Is this time you want to invest, or would you rather be doing something else?

If you do decide to go ahead with the custom kit, you should look to see if it's balanced. To me, it looks like it could stand to be nerfed a bit. Weapon specialization in any weapon a thief can use, *and* increased lore, *and* that bardsong spell are quite a lot of advantages. Limiting backstabbing bonuses to x2/x3 and removing the possiblity of setting traps might not be enough to balance it.

But there's all kinds of workarounds. Finding them takes time. That's what it always comes down to, isn't it?

If I might offer unsolicited advice, I'd just start writing dialogue and coding it as you go. Let the kit, as well as the stats, wait until you've had a chance to see how she's developing in the world of BG.

I suggest coding as you go rather than waiting until the end to start coding. There are several reasons for that. You likely already know that you write differently when you think about coding. You start thinking about how you could write dialogue in an economical way that will save you time later. You might also think less linearly, and start thinking about possible dialogue branches.

The second is that it is too easy, when staring at a massive file full of uncoded dialogue to throw your hands in the air and vow to forget about the whole thing, because it's just too much work.

The third is that it is much easier to learn as you go. Testing as you go is a surefire way to make sure everything you do installs and runs properly. Leaving it all until the end is a good way to ensure that if you have made one coding mistake, you will have made it 8503 times, throughout the mod, and you're going to have to find them all before you can install the mod. I made that mistake with Gavin, for his first alpha. I coded as I went, but I didn't test until it was all done. It took me a solid week just to get it to install. I am certain that had I tested as I progressed, that wouldn't have happened. For Haldamir, which is pretty much just a set of banters, some interjections, and less than a dozen friendship talks between SoA *and* ToB, I'm not going to bother testing until the end, but for BG2 Gavin, which has banters, interjections, a quest, a complex romance, and a friendship track, you can be darned sure that I will be testing each progressive build.

Just trying to save you work later.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#8 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:22 AM

*nods* Yeah, I've thought about scrapping her weapon specialization and just give her ordinary thief profiencies. We'll see how it goes - for now, I'm trying to get her personality nailed down. And thanks for the advice - so far I've mostly gone "write one dialogue, code one dialogue, write one dialogue, code one dialogue", but now I'll try coding it while writing.

Thank you. :3

#9 Feuille

Feuille
  • Modder
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:59 AM

Testing as you go? Very much awesome advice. If you don't, you might end up like Miss Sakaki and I did with Nathaniel, with horrific bugs all the way through beta-etsting and not knowing what to do! This way, you can take each problem as it surfaces and tackle it without anything else distracting you. :)

Mystery, self-deception and shameless flirting. Rejoice, for the Luxley family is now released!

Sweet tooth? Why don't you try out Nathaniel? Now out for SoA and ToB!

#10 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:08 AM

Hah, yeah.. beta-testing feels very, very far away at this point. I mean, even having this thread here feels unreal. xD

EDIT: I've changed her stats a bit, and given her normal thief profiency maximums. Her maximum backstab count is set to 3x.

Edited by Choo Choo, 28 September 2007 - 06:14 AM.

#11 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:46 AM

Very nice improvement!

You're likely to find that writing for a character that isn't "perfect in every way that matters" is a heck of a lot more fun, anyway.

Write one, code one, write one, code one is a perfectly acceptable way to do it. It's when you save it all to the end that you run into trouble. I've got a wacky way to do it: I code it first. I put the framework out, then fill it in as I go. It allows me to do stream of consciousness writing while still allowing me to never get ahead of myself with the writing.

But whatever works for you!

berelinde's mods

#12 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

Well, I won't be coding for a while yet - I do have some banter sketches, but they all need heavy editing. But I think I'll try to code as I go, every spare minute I gain is a blessing.

#13 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

Small update, 'cause I feel like it.

I said I wouldn't write any BG2 content yet, but I have to admit I've done it a little. I'm trying to think on her reactions to various NPC's an Aerie and Anomen just.. slipped in on a banana peel.

I've also realized why most people mod for BG2 and not BG1.

It's because they want to avoid Alora.. *wheeze*

Anyway, here's a banter draft with Coran. A draft. Just a draft

---

Emmeline: Um.. Coran.. I apologize for shouting at you the other day.

Coran: Ah, and light penetrates the darkness of the last few days, for the stars that are your eyes shine upon me once more!

Emmeline: Oh, Coran, you don't mean that. But in any case, it's.. difficult for me to speak of it. I'd rather not.

Coran: Then don't, sweetling.

Emmeline: Diola lle. Thank you.. Anyway, I shouldn't have yelled at you for asking a simple question.

Coran: It is both understandable and acceptable, dear.

Emmeline: The former yes, the latter.. no. We're kin, and companions.. we should act as such.

Coran: Kin, companions.. what about friends?

Emmeline: ..yes. Friends.

Coran: It is more than any man could hope for from you, sweetling.

Emmeline: And more than anyone, male or female, could hope for from you. Come then, mellonamin - let's take on the day and hope that Erevan Ilesere smiles upon us both!

#14 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:47 PM

Sounds good-a new thief for BG1 (hell, a new character for BG1, period) is good stuff. Couple questions, though:

1. Any reason she won't romance anyone but the standard triumvirate of races?

2. Any reason she won't romance a necromancer?
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#15 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:49 PM

1. I'm still considering making her romanceable for halflings. But she won't romance half-orcs, she certainly won't romance dwarves and she won't find a gnome attractive. Remember, she's not the most mature person in the bunch, either.

2: Yes. She's an elf - and undead are mortal (and unmortal :P) enemies of the elves.

#16 Unmei

Unmei
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

I really like this concept you've made! You've put a lot of thought into it too. She sounds like she would be a lot of fun to have in the party. Makes me wish I still owned BG1 lol!

#17 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

I swear, if she's ever actually released for BG1, she will most probably be released for BG2 one day as well. :3 Thanks for the kind words!

#18 Unmei

Unmei
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

I swear, if she's ever actually released for BG1, she will most probably be released for BG2 one day as well. :3 Thanks for the kind words!

Well thats good to hear!  And you're welcome; newbies got to stick together.  ;)

#19 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

It's great that you want to make another mod for BG1. There are far too few, I think. BG1 has such a great atmosphere which is somehow completely different from BG2, in a very refreshing way. Adding new content to BG1 to make it even better is a very good idea. Good luck with your project! I'd love to see it come to life some day. :)

#20 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

Thank you! :3