Emmeline NPC mod

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

There are four of that nature registered, at least one of them as recently as august 2006. I can't imagine why it would be a problem.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#42 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

Azkyroth, I did register and post in that thread. :3

Edited by Choo Choo, 29 September 2007 - 10:49 PM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#43 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:37 AM

Aaaaand I'm officially naming Solar's Harper co-author. :3 Without him I'd never be able to pull this off and he comes with so many ideas and writes so much stuff it'd be unfair of me to claim all the honor.

In any case, at the moment we're looking through BG1 to see where we'd want her to interject. It'll end up being a list of like 500 places, and then we'll pick out those that we want the most. Fun work - some of the dialogues are hilarious! (Especially, say, Oogie Wisham, the guy with a paladin phobia. *grin*)

#44 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:16 AM

hehe, you're very welcome CC :)

Anyway I'd like to thank on behalf of the current team for everyone's support of Choo Choo's Emmeline mod.

Thank you all. :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#45 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

Peeeople? :3 I need attention, and help. Could someone please tell me if this is correct, coding-wise? I'll use this as a form for all NPC/NPC banters, so it's important that I get it right. (As for the banter itself - don't mind it, it's unedited and raw material.)

CHAIN IF ~
InParty("_Minsc")
Range("_Minsc",30)
CombatCounter(0)
!StateCheck("7#EMME",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck("_MINSC",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("EmmMinBanter","GLOBAL",0)~
THEN 7#EMMB Minsc1
~Say Minsc, you acquired Boo in Sembia, right?~
DO ~SetGlobal("EmmMinBanter","GLOBAL",1)~
== _BMINSC ~Yes, I bought him from a funny old man with a pointy hat!~
== 7#EMMB ~I.. see. But how did you know that Boo was special?~
== _BMINSC ~Are you trying to make Minsc believe that Boo is no miniature giant space hamster?! Such villainy!!~
== 7#EMMB ~No no no, calm down, Minsc. I have, ah, full confidence in his abilities. Truly, he's the bravest and noblest hamster I have ever met!~
== _BMINSC ~I am blushing from shame, I am - how could I believe that little Emmeline would be of evil intent? Boo thanks you for your kind words.~
== 7#EMMB ~Ah.. he's welcome. In any case, you didn't answer my question.~
== _BMINSC ~Why, that was the easy part! I could've heard his mighty roars of righteous fury from where e'er I were!~
== 7#EMMB ~Oh my! What, ah, foul act had upset him so?~
== _BMINSC ~A naughty weasel stole his nuts!~
== 7#EMMB ~(choke)~
== _BMINSC ~Are you okay, little elf?~
== 7#EMMB ~(coughs and inhales violently a few times) Um, yeah, I'm fine. I was just.. uh.. overcome with outrage at such malevolency! That not even a true hero like Boo can't have his, um, nuts left alone! I'm afraid - what is the world coming into?~
== _BMINSC ~Never fear, nice girl - you are under the protection of Minsc and Boo!~
== 7#EMMB ~Well, that's good to know, I suppose.. Thanks.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

#46 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

Peeeople? :3 I need attention, and help. Could someone please tell me if this is correct, coding-wise? I'll use this as a form for all NPC/NPC banters, so it's important that I get it right. (As for the banter itself - don't mind it, it's unedited and raw material.)

CHAIN IF ~
InParty("_Minsc")
Range("_Minsc",30)
CombatCounter(0)
THEN 7#EMMB Minsc1
== _BMINSC ~Yes, I bought him from a funny old man with a pointy hat!~
== _BMINSC ~Are you trying to make Minsc believe that Boo is no miniature giant space hamster?! Such villainy!!~
== 7#EMMB ~No no no, calm down, Minsc. I have, ah, full confidence in his abilities. Truly, he's the bravest and noblest hamster I have ever met!~
== _BMINSC ~I am blushing from shame, I am - how could I believe that little Emmeline would be of evil intent? Boo thanks you for your kind words.~
== _BMINSC ~Why, that was the easy part! I could've heard his mighty roars of righteous fury from where e'er I were!~
== _BMINSC ~A naughty weasel stole his nuts!~
== 7#EMMB ~(choke)~
== _BMINSC ~Are you okay, little elf?~
== 7#EMMB ~(coughs and inhales violently a few times) Um, yeah, I'm fine. I was just.. uh.. overcome with outrage at such malevolency! That not even a true hero like Boo can't have his, um, nuts left alone! I'm afraid - what is the world coming into?~
== _BMINSC ~Never fear, nice girl - you are under the protection of Minsc and Boo!~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

I don't think you need the END on a chain unless you're going to have PC dialogue options at the bottom.

Other than that and the possibility of coding yourself into a corner if you don't use somewhat more descriptive dialogue state names, I'm not seeing anything terribly wrong with the coding. Having an entire "click to continue" for one word of action text may be a bit grating for some players, though, and the extended action text in her next line may clash somewhat with the game (where not a lot is used). Maybe change it to
== _BMINSC ~A naughty weasel stole his nuts!  ...eh?  Are you all right little elf?~
== 7#EMMB ~(coughs, gasps) [...etc]

Edited by Azkyroth, 02 October 2007 - 10:03 PM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#47 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

Lovely, thanks. :3

#48 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

Lovely, thanks. :3

You know, your face freezes like that. *hides* :)

#49 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:06 PM

Sure thing :)

First off, the only thing you need at the end of a CHAIN is EXIT. Longform dialogue (IF ~~ THEN) needs an IF ~~ (THEN) EXIT - END, but CHAIN (CHAIN IF) needs only EXIT at the end of the dialogue.

I highly recommend you code for both TuTu and BGT using a wonderful system developed by cmorgan and various others, which if you code as you go along, will make it far easier in the long run. Using this system, Emmeline will work in both TuTu and BGT. :) There is a tutorial called Crossing the great BGT/TuTu divide over at G3 written by cmorgan which I would recommend taking a look at for further info. :)

I've attempted to make it crossplatform, but I've never done this before, so it'd be great if someone could correct me if I'm wrong... :D

CHAIN IF ~
%BGT_VAR% //in BGT, this makes sure that the game is BG1 and not BGII
InParty("MINSC")
Range("MINSC",30)
CombatCounter(0)
THEN 7#EMMB Minsc1
== %MINSC_BANTER% ~Yes, I bought him from a funny old man with a pointy hat!~
== %MINSC_BANTER% ~Are you trying to make Minsc believe that Boo is no miniature giant space hamster?! Such villainy!!~
== %MINSC_BANTER% ~I am blushing from shame, I am - how could I believe that little Emmeline would be of evil intent? Boo thanks you for your kind words.~
== %MINSC_BANTER% ~Why, that was the easy part! I could've heard his mighty roars of righteous fury from where e'er I were!~
== %MINSC_BANTER% ~A naughty weasel stole his nuts!~
== 7#EMMB ~(choke)~
== %MINSC_BANTER% ~Are you okay, little elf?~
== %MINSC_BANTER% ~Never fear, nice girl - you are under the protection of Minsc and Boo!~
EXIT

#50 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

You can run, but you can't hide.. ha. Point taken.

#51 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

Ah, thanks Kae. :3

#52 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:18 PM

Ah a thief, I like the idea, as I really hate bards. :whistling:

Advantages: Bard song

As we are informed that bard song is hard coded to only bards, for a thief this will make a problem, but as there are ways to deal with this, such as giving her a harp(into quick item slot) that gives her nearly the same abilities and if you make it upgradeable, it will levels up as she does or by some other method.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#53 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:32 PM

*nods* I'm thinking about giving it to her as a special ability, too - but it'll wait until later. :3

#54 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:50 AM

If you wanted to go the cross-platform route, cmorgan wrote a tutorial at G3 called "Crossing the Great Divide." I'd include a link, but I'm running out the door. It shouldn't be too far down from the top in the tutorials area (at Gibberlings3).

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#55 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:12 AM

Ah a thief, I like the idea, as I really hate bards. :whistling:

As we are informed that bard song is hard coded to only bards, for a thief this will make a problem, but as there are ways to deal with this, such as giving her a harp(into quick item slot) that gives her nearly the same abilities and if you make it upgradeable, it will levels up as she does or by some other method.

Well Emme isn't really a bard of sorts, although she does have some singing talent and as such she is planned to have that bonus.

As always with her nature as it is however, the fallback is she lacks concentration that most thieves possess, nothing too bad however. She'll earn her keep.

Anyways, we're currently sticking with the idea of a special ability, however an item has not yet been ruled out, we'll see what happens when we cross that bridge I suppose. :D

Besides... if Emmeline became a bard, we'd have an illegal class so yeah :)

Edited by Solar's Harper, 03 October 2007 - 03:14 AM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#56 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:43 AM

Besides... if Emmeline became a bard, we'd have an illegal class so yeah :)

As if *that* has never happened before.. but yeah, she's not going to be a pure-class bard (even if I considered it for a while.) Just a thief with a fondness for music.

#57 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:05 AM

Emmeline has gained another major personality flaw during course of writing and brainstorming - she's a rather prejudiced fellow, not just towards dwarves. She thinks that pretty much every race has a certain "stereotype" and is far too willing to judge someone over race or class. She does, however, apologize to most people when she realizes she's wrong.

And yeah, it's very difficult to keep away from BG2 brainstorming/writing/whatever when there's so many ideas bouncing around - focus is on BG1, though. :)

Edited by Choo Choo, 13 October 2007 - 09:09 AM.

#58 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

Funny how an NPC's personality develops, the more you write. You start out with a bunch of general ideas, and all of a sudden, your NPC will start talking to you even when you aren't writing, putting in his (or her) two cents.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#59 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:26 AM

Indeed! Actually, some of her banter drafts are based on her "chiming in". It's interesting. She's almost developing on her own!

#60 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

I found that the more I wrote Auren, she became more and more comical. I had not originally intended on writing a comical character, mind you, but by the time I was finished with ToB, I found myself smiling at my own lame jokes I gave her. That and the fact that Feuille, my voicer, did a fantastic job of reading the lines.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community