Photo

IE games and NVidia Series 8 video cards

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#301 Elsok

Elsok
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

[quote name='Jarno Mikkola' date='01 April 2011 - 12:51 AM' timestamp='1301633473' post='512070']
2) I also have a question about installing the Widescreen mod..... During the instalation it asks for the x and y resolution twice ..... I have a 24 inch widescreen monitor and I want to play the game in 1920x1200 rez .[/quote] 1) The FAQ for the general install order is [url="http://thunderpeel20...dded.html"]here[/url], I would... that's talked [url="http://www.shsforums...on-guide/"]here[/url], put the Widescreen mod second to last, just before the GUI mod, but you do what you like.
2) Do as you like, but I prefer the max resolution, other don't, what you probably want to do is enter the game resolution you wish to use in the first question, and then put the larger numbers to the second question, should you desire such in your saves, so they can be reconfigured to use the larger resolution. So essencially if you wish to have 1920x1200 everywhere, you put 1920 and 1200 to both times.
[/quote]

Jarno Mikkola,thank for your response.....I worked literally alllll day yesterday to get this game modded properly and I FINALLY got everything right with the exception of ghostdog's GUI fix.... The game would not work for me with that mod installed.... I kept getting assertion errors as soon as Marte would start a conversation with TNO and then crash to the desk top... I decided to uninstall ghostdog's mod and voila no more assertions errors and the game looks great with the exception of the menu and character screens being in the top left hand corner of my screen which I can live with ok.So I uninstalled it and now it is working fine an looks awesome..... Also just to let you know I installed The Bigg's Widescreen second to last and then ghostdog's mod.

Now the only other problem I have is everytime I exit the game I get one of those hateful Windows error messages and each time I have to hunt around for the mouse pointer to close it. any suggestions on how to fix this.
I have a Windows 7 64 bit system. I am running the game with admin privlidges and Windows XP sp2 compatable.

Edited by Elsok, 02 April 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#302 YEMETH

YEMETH
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

Bigg, I have a PST question... I'm not using an Nvidia, I have an AMD graphics card... will any of this stuff on here be of any use to me? Or will it just make it worse?

I need to sort out my game ASAP, since there's a really stupid scrolling glitch where it just scrolls up and to the left of its own accord, and nothing I've tried will fix it.

#303 YEMETH

YEMETH
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Please, if anyone can answer my question... I'm anxious to fix it so I can enjoy my game again.

#304 YEMETH

YEMETH
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

Sorry, I meant ATI. Dunno why the hell I said AMD...

#305 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

So, it must be that **** BALDUR.BCS file.Any ideas? And what should I do

The wrong conclusion... :whistling:

The what you should do/what you should have done already list.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#306 pijani

pijani
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

So, it must be that **** BALDUR.BCS file.Any ideas? And what should I do

The wrong conclusion... :whistling:

The what you should do/what you should have done already list.

Actually, after replacing that file, game is going extremely smoothly, no stutters ;)
And I've red that (and everything else on that topic, but just to be sure:
1) Game is prepatch, and all in one big, tested file. Any modifications are not possible, or required
2) There is no need, the game was going pretty well, and now that BALDUR.BCS is replaced, it is going smoothly in arias that were inflicted before - i.e. I do not have problems with ambient sounds
3) Done and done, Cache is without limit as is access to Ram ;) Both HDD and RAM are big ( 40Gb; 2Gb)
4) Didn't touch anything ;)
5) No speaking mods, and if there are, I am not playing mod material, skipping that parts
6) I am avoiding effects because their icon gets covered with symbols ;) so, that is not new issue ;)
7) Done on a regular basis
8) look at 1)
9) look at 1)
10) look at 1)
11) look at 1)
12) done, tested
13) look at 7)
14) I am aware of this, but the BG work perfectly with a lot of programs in the background. It is not all that need game, and my PC is quite few years older then 1999 :) And, later, I've shot everything down, to the last possible proces, and stutter was uninfected
15) Done on a regular basis
--
16) I do not use cheats
17) Inventory management is one of the prittyer aspects of the game for me, I enjoy packing and repacking inventory (Amelia Poulen:) - one of the reasons I was not so much in DA2
18) no effect
19) I never use AI ;)
20) I never use any summons, except Kitthix ;)
21) all quests are MUST :) and all are done, somehow, this is a point of a game to me
22) To tell you the truth, I did not understand completely this one...
In other words I was aware of all this things trough painful experience of try and error before :)

23) actually this is most promising point, but the problem is that I do not know a thing about moding... :(
23)1) is also great suggestion, and now I see that my previous 22 points were written in vein :)) anyhow, problem is that I have no moding experience and that the whole Bg1 and BG2 + exp are in one big file...
In other words, there is SO MUCH :) to read, and I usually start following the links, reading the second post, then follow third link and there you have it: I;ve started reading 10 posts, all not finished and I do remember what I wanted in a first place ;)

my question: will replacement of BALDUR.BCS will be much of a problem, because is solved my stutter problem ;) Have I only cured symptoms, not a disease? :) if, then I am of to play ;) I am just getting ready to enter Shanguin city. If yes, I would nee more "click this do that" instructions, and I know how much painful writing those can be :)

#307 -RazorAngel-

-RazorAngel-

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

I'm trying to get my PT to work without glitches and I think eddy's .dll is great and all, but, as I understand, it's only for modern GeForce 8+ cards. I have an old GeForce 2 Ti and the fix does not help in my case. I don't quite understand as the fix simply provides a fake .dll and directs to the system file, but still, it doesn't work for this card. Is this really how it should be? If so, is there any walkaround for the older cards to run PT without mouse trail? Perhaps something can me modified in the source code of the fix so that it works for other cards too.

#308 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

I have an old GeForce 2 Ti and the fix does not help in my case.

Have you tried this ?

And just to reply to the old post:

1) Game is prepatch, and all in one big, tested file. Any modifications are not possible, or required

You probably downloaded some pre-made modified game that's really bad... if you like our support, you need an original copy, not a torrented copy that's faulty by definition. Get the original BGII game and use the BWS to modify it.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 July 2011 - 02:10 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#309 EmPhasis

EmPhasis
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:25 AM

Hi All
Posted Image

I'm playing IWD2, but when I turn on 'Translucent Spell Effects', game really slows down if someone starts to cast some spell. If it is off, then game runs pretty good, but I wonder if it is possible to turn on this without losing fps. I've already installed this nvidia fix. I have gf 310m. I also installed this microsoft program and installed for iwd2 ForceDirectDraw, but it didn't work. iwd2 is patched and with widescreen mod.

Thanks for any help.
Posted Image
Tribute to Classic Adentures !

#310 Jami

Jami
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

Hi All

Here is my solution for Icewind dale 2 graphic and fps issue. Can't remember where I read it, might be here, so credit for this awesome guy. This is specific for Iwd2 issues, as I don't have those neither for Iwd1 or BG serie.

Issue description :

Fog of war border is buggy with square like shape
Game runs slowly, in particular with lot of spellcasting and animation on screen
I think some issues with dialog boxes transparency

Solution :

Disable DirectDraw acceleration. If you have Vista/7, with higher version of directx than 9.0c, you will not be able to do it. You have to download the Directx 9.0c control panel, which is a file called directx.cpl (you need the 9.0c version). Then simply double clic directx.cpl, ignore Windows warnings, go to the DirectDraw tab, and deselect "Use Hardware Acceleration" in Performance box.

Go play Icewind Dale 2, and experience the game running quite quicker than before !

Note that this won't affect Windows, but be aware that you might need to reactivate the DirectDraw Hardware Acceleration if you want to launch another game.

#311 HunterZ

HunterZ
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

I'm playing the D&D Anthology Master Collection version of BG1, which I believe is identical to the GOG version (the INI files have GOG in the path until the installer overwrites them with the actual installation path). My machine is a Dell M1730 laptop with 32-bit Vista, nVidia 8700M GT SLI video (but with SLI disabled) and the latest beta nVidia drivers.

I am not getting the black box issue (which I used to get with the original CD-ROM version), so they must have pre-installed one of the fixes unless nVidia fixed their drivers. However, I am unfortunately experiencing the improperly rotated/flipped fog of war tile glitch. I tried installing nvidia_fix, but that had no effect.

I've heard that the only options that currently help are getting the old directx.cpl and disabling hardware acceleration (can't do it via display setup in Vista with nVidia, as the option is greyed out), or reducing to 16-bit color depth (which reduces graphics quality) and enabling software mirror blt. Is there any chance that a fix for this could be added to the nvidia_fix package? I guess I'll try the compatibility toolkit fix, as it's probably not much more trouble than the directx.cpl fix.

Edit: Yep, the application compatibility toolkit fixed it. 3+ years running and it's still the best fix I've found!

Edited by HunterZ, 14 January 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#312 -Natrezim-

-Natrezim-

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

Hi
I have Baldur's Gate from GoG.com and I have installed Widescreen mod, but I have some problems with that. I have GeForce GTX 260.

1, I have bottom UI too small. (picture 1)
2, That shadow are OK ?? (Picture 1)
3, Second picture say all. I have big resolution, but when I trying to move its like a 640x480. Why? (Picture 2)

Did I something bad? or something missing me?
http://imageshack.us...9/screenbs.png/
http://imageshack.us...3/41817517.png/

#313 HunterZ

HunterZ
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

The issue you show in picture 1 is the same as the fog of war issue that I had just described running into.

Edit: We should probably bombard nVidia with bug reports on this; I've heard people have achieved results from reporting broken compatibility with other old games. Here's a link: http://nvidia-submit...elp.com/app/ask

Edited by HunterZ, 15 January 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#314 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

The DDBLTFX_MIRRORUPDOWN / DDBLTFX_MIRRORLEFTRIGHT ( software mirroring )
was broken by mircosoft ( on purpose )
ddraw.dll doesn't forward that flag to the driver so there is nothing that nvidia can do about it.

however it should fairly easy to implement a fix because the ddraw Blt is already "abstracted"

#315 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

( if anyone cares )
at some point in the next couple weeks I'll release a "mod"
I've created a (terrible/monstrous) clone the nvidia fix ( because it amused me to do so... )

It preprocesses mirror blt operations by mirroring the image onto a temp surface using GDI32.StretchBlt then it strips the mirror flags and substitutes the temp surface for the source surface in the call to IDDraw->Blt ( it seems to be working well in PST and TOB )

it will have a few other options:
Force Direct Draw Emulation
Disable High Dpi Scaling
Always SetClipper ( unknown if needed )
Fake vsync ( not needed for IE games )
Flip Front To Back ( PST cursor trails )

#316 -Belhifet-

-Belhifet-

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi everybody! Just installed IWD2 on my new laptop (Win7 Ult. x64). Everything was ok until i noticed something "disturbing" in the graphics. Here is a screenshot http://www.picville..../727iwd2000.bmp The thing is, if you look closer to the "shadowed" part of the ground you will notice very tiny squares. It's like a grid or something like that. The interesting thing is that before i installed IDW2, i finished IWD and that problem was missing there... even when i played IWD2 for first time on my old PC (Win XP SP2) that problem was missing. I tried configuring the options in the Config.exe file in the game folder but with no success. I hope there is a solution for this problem... Thanks for your attention, i hope someone reply to my problem.

#317 HunterZ

HunterZ
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

aqrit: That sounds exciting, please keep us posted.

Belhifet: If you're talking about the dithering effect, it's probably because you either don't have OpenGL enabled in the config utility, and/or you don't have it set for 32-bit color.

#318 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Here is a list of the issues you'll encounter when playing any of the IE games with a NVidia 8 series card, and their resolution. It is possible that similar issues might arise even with other NVidia cards (apparently, 58xx and higher), but I haven't any experience with them, so I can't guarantee that they'll help
For all these games, I use the most powerful settings in the "Hardware" sliders (if you have a NVidia 8 series card, you likely have a 300 Mhz CPU Posted Image

BG2 and HoW (TotLM) are fixable directly from their config program:
BG2(SoA+ToB, including Tutu, Classic Adventures, and Big Mods): there are various graphical issues (black boxes and/or randomly-colored lines across the screen), which are solved with the following tweaks in BGConfig: Hardware -> Enable 3D Acceleration. Display -> 32 bit. 2d & 3d options: enable 3D Animations, 3D Acceleration and 32 bit textures, disable the Disable Vertex Padding option.
IWD1+HoW(with or without TotLM): I don't know if there are issues in this game; however, Graphics -> enable all save Sprite Mirroring didn't cause glitches.

For fixing BG1, IWD1 (without HoW), IWD2 and PST you can install this fixer utility (programmed by Eddy, WeiDUed by me):
If you use this fixer utility, don't forget to remove the application profile in the Compatibility Manager (if you're using it, remove the profile like this: start -> programs -> Microsoft Application Compatility Toolkit -> Compatibility Administrator -> Installed Database -> right click and remove on the item you created) or stop using the .vbs launcher.

Ghostdog suggests to use a program called D3DWindower instead of the fixer - however, said program is not fully in english, and requires you to run said program every time you want to play. See instructions here.

Additionally, if you set up a profile for all applications in your Forceware Control Panel, you might want to set up a rule for your IE games so that every graphical option is "Application controlled" (for example Anti Aliasing) or Disabled (Triple Buffering).

Many thanks to the people who have provided solutions (even if they were later obsoleted):
Modron (VBS launcher)
Dazzle (Compatibility Administrator)
Eddy (.dll fix)
Ghostdog (D3DWindower)

I did not need any of these.

My problem was i could not save the bgconfig.exe changes i did and i could not run the graphics test. The result was my game was started in 2D and frames dropped horribly, especially with weather effects and ambient sound. It was NOT a classic stutter issue and completely a graphics problem.
I edited my Baldur.ini manually and set "3D Acceleration=1" and "Use 3d Animations=1".

The game runs flawlessly after this, never seen it so perfect in any megamod installation.

Resolution: 1920x1080 Widescreen Mod
Graphics: NVidia Quadro 4000M
Weidu.log on request.

EDIT: BWP Tactics Installation of BG2. Also changed colors to 32bit ingame before manually editing the Baldur.ini. Everything else in the Baldur.ini are standard settings from after a Tactics BWP Installation.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 06 February 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#319 HunterZ

HunterZ
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

My problem was i could not save the bgconfig.exe changes i did and i could not run the graphics test. The result was my game was started in 2D and frames dropped horribly, especially with weather effects and ambient sound. It was NOT a classic stutter issue and completely a graphics problem.

This could be due to Windows protecting you from changes to files under the Program Files folder tree. I usually install older games to something like C:\Users\Public\Games\whatever instead.

#320 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:55 AM

This could be due to Windows protecting you from changes to files under the Program Files folder tree. I usually install older games to something like C:\Users\Public\Games\whatever instead.

no, nothing like that. being a megamod installer of the first hour, i never install into protected system folders since i had my vista pc.

i suspect it was the 2D version of the fog of war that was causing massive lag. the fog of war in 2D had quite large pixel and now in 3D is shaped very smooth.