Photo

Spell50 version 8

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:24 AM

I would like to announce the resurrection of the well known spell50 mod.

The new version updates spell descriptions of few spells affected by the mod to make the spell descriptions consistent and introduces new component modifying few other spells.

It can be downloaded at
http://www.kovarex.c.../spell50-v10.7z

I will most probably continue in enhancing of this mod later (changing more spells even these from mods, implementing the save penalty for higher levels for spells affected by this mod etc.)

Any suggestions or bug reports are welcomed.

Edited by kovarex, 19 January 2008 - 12:21 PM.

#2 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:17 AM

I would like to announce the resurrection of the well known spell50 mod.

The new version updates spell descriptions of few spells affected by the mod to make the spell descriptions consistent and introduces new component modifying few other spells.

It can be downloaded at
http://www.kovarex.c...d/spell50-v8.7z
http://www.kovarex.c.../spell50-v8.zip

I will most probably continue in enhancing of this mod later (changing more spells even these from mods, implementing the save penalty for higher levels for spells affected by this mod etc.)

Any suggestions or bug reports are welcomed.

Hi Kovarex, I thot this was weidu's work? Did ya get permission from him to continue on this project?
Tks for the updates though. See http://weidu.org/spell50.html

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Infinity Explorer v0.85 (Some fixes for v0.75/v0.80) @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#3 kovarex

kovarex
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

I sent him email, but he didn't answer in a week, so I did it without his permission, he is still as the author of version up to 6 in the readme, anyway I don't see a reason for him to dislike it.

Edited by kovarex, 23 December 2007 - 11:27 AM.

#4 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:41 PM

I'm all for updating legacy mods. As a courtesy, perhaps a post in the mod's forum (or an existing thread)?

#5 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:55 PM

Weimer usually doesn't really have issues when people modernize his stuff. If you want your version to be accepted by © holier-than-thous, your best bet is to contact JCompton at PPG.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

Yeh, I doubt resurrecting it is likely to be an issue, but resurrecting it and taking it to a completely different site might not be so hot.

#7 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

What the bigg said.

He should know, with his WeiDU updates and all.

As for moving it to a diffrent site, technically this is a ressurection of a mod, and much like the Mana-Based Spell System I uploaded, this site is easy for the aveage person to upload a mod.

So thank you for bringing this onward, kovarex.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#8 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:26 PM

Guest poster was me.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#9 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

So according to the H.Y.O.M.C. list, Sim just did #5 and #14?

#10 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

What the bigg said.

This is different. Spell50's README doesn't contain legalese (which IIRC under current copyright law means that no redistribution or alteration is allowed). WeiDU is under the GPL (which is designed to forbid people from removing other people's redistribution/alteration rights).

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#11 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

What the bigg said.

This is different. Spell50's README doesn't contain legalese (which IIRC under current copyright law means that no redistribution or alteration is allowed). WeiDU is under the GPL (which is designed to forbid people from removing other people's redistribution/alteration rights).

This looks like pretty important stuff. Until you mentioned it, I didn't even realise the differences.
Not sure if I interpret it right, does this mean that:

(a) Under GPL, we can modify and redistribute software but we need to keep the original distribution notes intact?

(b) Depending on the legalese, we can't even mirror the software, let alone modify it? Is it something like the unauthorised mirror issue in the mega-mod help forum?

Are there specific SHS templates for such stuff? Thanks for any clarifications.

regards

"[You are] the foe of my foe, friend of my friend, by the first sapling that rose where Shilmista now stands, and by the shadow it will cast before all things will end, I swear to give my blood for you." - Kivan when we meet Imanel Silversword.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

@ SMM Auto DL / Auto-Installer / Manual Install / Walkthru - based on Erebusant's installation @
@ Future of MegaMods? - Working with Mega-Modification Installations - by Ascension64 @

#12 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:32 AM

(a) Under GPL, we can modify and redistribute software but we need to keep the original distribution notes intact?

If you can speak legalese, http://www.gnu.org/l...es/gpl-2.0.html. Otherwise, it is designed to give users the 4 basic freedoms and forbid users from denying other users the 4 freedoms.

(b) Depending on the legalese, we can't even mirror the software, let alone modify it? Is it something like the unauthorised mirror issue in the mega-mod help forum?

Yes, exactly. That is how people who disregard the EULA to BG2 want to enforce their own EULA on you.

Are there specific SHS templates for such stuff? Thanks for any clarifications.

Most mods copy-and-paste this from each other (Berelinde's Fading Promises taken as a random example, not to single her out):

Fading Promises is intended to be enjoyed freely by all players of Baldur's Gate II, and it may be shared between players in its unchanged form. However, this mod may not be sold, published, compiled or redistributed in any form without the consent of its author. Fading Promises is ©2007 Ruth Tannahill.

Fading Promises is not developed, supported, or endorsed by BioWare, Black Isle Studios, Interplay Entertainment Corp., Atari, Wizards of the Coast, or Music Loops. All other trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners.

BALDUR'S GATE II: SHADOWS OF AMN Developed and © 2000 BioWare Corp. All Rights Reserved. BALDUR'S GATE II: THRONE OF BHAAL Developed and © 2001 BioWare Corp. All Rights Reserved. Baldur's Gate, Shadows of Amn, Tales of the Sword Coast, Forgotten Realms, the Forgotten Realms logo, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the AD&D logo, TSR and the TSR logo, and the Wizards of the Coast logo, are trademarks of the Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used by Interplay Entertainment Corp. under license. All Rights Reserved. BioWare, the BioWare Infinity Engine and the BioWare logo are the trademarks of BioWare Corp. All Rights Reserved. Black Isle Studios and the Black Isle Studios logo are trademarks of Interplay Entertainment Corp. All Rights Reserved. Exclusively licensed and distributed by Interplay Entertainment Corp. All other trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners.

Edited by the bigg, 27 December 2007 - 07:25 AM.

#13 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:12 AM

It's not really remotely important in practice as far as modding is concerned. Personally, I think filling your readme with legal crap makes you look like a bit of a gimp.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#14 bigmoshi

bigmoshi
  • Modder
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:17 AM

Most useful. Thank you the bigg.

bigmoshiteam2.jpg

#15 dragonian

dragonian
  • Validating
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:10 AM

i can`t download the mod frm your site kovarex
it says that this is unknown page...
and right clicking to download it is not working too then it says that archive is corrupted

#16 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

It's not really remotely important in practice as far as modding is concerned. Personally, I think filling your readme with legal crap makes you look like a bit of a gimp.

Poetry.

#17 WizWom

WizWom
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:39 AM

No, Poetry would be:

All of the modders are breaking the rules,
thinking that developers all were tools,
so when they distribute their mischevious work,
adding disclaimers proves they're a dork.

#18 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

Nice poem. But work and dork don't rhyme!

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#19 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

Nice poem. But work and dork don't rhyme!

With a comment like this, you need more of the former and less of the latter :devil:

#20 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:44 PM

I hate to break up this really witty exchange, but yes, I am the person you should talk to if you're looking to have anything updated on WeiDU.org. (You're welcome to e-mail Wes first, of course, but you will probably never hear from him. I've been known to ignore people as well, but not for quite as long.)