Gil-galad vs Elrond & Elros

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

A friend tabled the idea of replacing Elrond & Elros with Gil-galad (aka Ereinon), son of Fingon, slayer of Sauron in the 2nd Age, and last High King in Middle-Earth.

What do you guys think? :) Certainly it would be much closer to canon, and you would get probably get to see Elwing play with her kids a while before heading in for the briefing.

The original purpose for putting Elrond & Elros in was not to alienate LotR fans, so if you are an LotR fan but have limited Silmarillion knowledge, maybe you could post here your thoughts on if Gil-galad would make a good substitute.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#2 CrowLord

CrowLord
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:03 AM

i think that would be a good idea. The closer these type of things can get to canon the better. Also, it might encourage those LOTR fans who know nothing of Silmarillon to get a copy and find out how awesome it is first hand :P

Also, it would be quite cool to see those two characters as the children they are supposed to be, at this point in time

#3 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

Any other thoughts on this matter?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...

#4 Stnemele

Stnemele

The Writer that Helps You Write

• 162 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

As to Gil'galad, I would include him somehow, but maybe not as an NPC. He seems a bit too...kingly...to have around. If he were to be an NPC, it would also make sense for Beren to be as well.

What about Glorfindel? He's around at the time, fighting Balrogs. :devil:
"I've had better conversations with cheese."
--Michael Keaton, "Dream Team"

"I love love-triangles! ... Or squares. Hexagons. Trapezoids. Circles with tangent lines... Geometry aside, where are we?"
-- Cassandra Mewborn, a dead character

#5 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

Yeah Gilgalad would be nice but probably a bit too Kingly to pull off as an npc.

I'd agree with the Glorfindel, he got jipped in LotR movies, time for some payback.
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#6 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

Much as I love Glorfindel (I love him almost as much as I love Ecthelion of the Fountain :) ) I'd have to pass on him. Not only is he expressedly powerful in the Silmarillion (from trashing a Balrog single-handedly after a huge long battle), but he fell in the Fall of Gondolin.

That would be a Difficult map, meaning that you would only get him for like, maybe 4-5 maps or so, before you completed the game. That gives him almost no chance to develop.

Gil-galad on the other hand, while kingly in the 2nd Age, has done nothing noteworthy, and in fact continues to remain an obscure figure hiding around somewhere in the background throughout the 1st Age (pretty much like Galadriel)

#7 Stnemele

Stnemele

The Writer that Helps You Write

• 162 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

Does Gondolin fall in this mod, tho?

Gil'Galad would still probably be too much. . His rise to power and crowing as high king come before the end of the first age, and he is in power all through the second until he dies at Sauron's hands and Isildur defeats the dark lord.And (now that I look at it) this.

Glorfindel is a different one from the LotR one that Arwen *snarl* replaced (or maybe the one in LotR is a reincarnation of him. I dunno). Depending how the missions are set up, he could join the party at times to help out (depending on the map), but not actually be an NPC. I think that he's a good idea, and then he can leave and die in Cirith Thoronath like he's supposed to fighting a balrog and be a huge hero.

Most of the characters in the Silm are overpowered, if you think about it, so Glorfindel won't be any different if you make him an NPC. He can also weave in and out of the beginning of the story, not just the fall of Gondolin, if you set him up properly. If you want him that much.
"I've had better conversations with cheese."
--Michael Keaton, "Dream Team"

"I love love-triangles! ... Or squares. Hexagons. Trapezoids. Circles with tangent lines... Geometry aside, where are we?"
-- Cassandra Mewborn, a dead character

#8 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

Guess you're right :) So let's drop Gil-Galad since its unlikely the Elves would let you ship their High King off for a stupendous expedition that is risky ; nor would he have much reason to obey you.

Glorfindel however is out. Its too much trouble weaving him into the story. Fall of Gondolin is part of Silmarillion, but that would mean that Glorfindel only show up (and die, so becoming recruitable) at the very end of the Mod.

So... hmm back to the drawing board :) Who to replace E&E with? Or should we just let them remain? Or cut them out without replacing them with anyone ?

#9 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

I would prefer fewer NPCs with more/detailed content than many NPCs with less/fewer details. I wouldn't mind not having them, as long as the other NPCs benefit from that loss. ;)

#10 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:51 AM

While they do seem like they'd be interesting characters... it probably would be for the best to cut them out. In a way it'll help the other characters get more time to have more content, and it probably really would make people who consider canon happy, AND I don't think the LotR tie-in would really help, even with the LotR fans. Elrond wasn't a huge player in the LotR-verse, after all, and I think (hope) that people who haven't read Silmarillion and are LotR fans (I'd fall in this category since I haven't read much of Sil) would be drawn simply because it is from the same world that they know and love, even if it is a different time period.

So, yeah, I agree with Liam. HEY LIAM! *wave*

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#11 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

If that's all we hear of it, I think the general agreement is to remove

Elrond & Elros

and not replace them with anyone, yes?

I'll leave this topic here for a few days, if no one replies, I'll consider it as Case Closed and lock this topic (and the other topic on Elrond's Class, since it'd be irrelevant.)