Sindarin Names ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stnemele

Stnemele

The Writer that Helps You Write

• 162 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

In the mod, I discarded all Sindarin and Quenya references, and decided to go Modern English, including in Speech and Names ^^;; I have no intention to use Tolkien's Language, since I always felt it catered more to hard-core Tolkienists rather than General Fans and General Tolkien Fans, which is what this mod is really aimed at.

That's not so true. Part of the world is the language. Middle Earth was created (I'm pretty damn sure) because Tolkien needed a place to put Elvish. I personally enjoy the languages. It isn't so hard to put in simple references to them while writing--single words and such. The people can speak the Common Tongue, and then lapse into their native one when they're emotional. If an author took the time to create languages (though it can be argued that Tolkien only adapted/manipulated/plaguized and did not create his languages) they should be used in recreations of his work.
"I've had better conversations with cheese."
--Michael Keaton, "Dream Team"

"I love love-triangles! ... Or squares. Hexagons. Trapezoids. Circles with tangent lines... Geometry aside, where are we?"
-- Cassandra Mewborn, a dead character

#2 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

And since I'm a complete Eldaphile, I should say that your Elvish names don't really look like Tolkien Elvish to me. I can't be necessarily sure with the High Elven ones, since they managed to screw up their own names when they crossed the Sea, but it definitely doesn't look right. Ardalambion in general is a great site for Tolkien's languages, and Hisweloki has a great Sindarin dictionary that's wonderful for name building. You probably wouldn't need a Quenya one, since, well, nobody really speaks it anymore.

Since this is brought up, no harm setting it for a separate discussion :) If the all the names are to be changed to Sindarin, I guess that's fine, but I'd like to hear more views first.

Edited by Zyraen, 11 March 2008 - 02:09 PM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#3 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

I would go with the ones that are easier to pronounce. Can't remember which language but Saruman/Ciranur or Gandalf/Mithrandir would be fine. I realize that all the names are cool, but simpler is better. :)

#4 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:01 AM

It is irrelevant to me. I am a tolkienist so I can easily adjust to quenya or sindarin, but from what you told me this game (for some reason 'mod' isn't the right word imho) is a strategy rpg, a little similar to spellforce (as I said), not an rpg and so different in so many aspects from the canon that I cannot but put it in the 'fanon fiction' cathegory. And in this you can do anything you want, including 100% modern English, and we will provide feedback because you care enough to work on it at all.
This is your project, Zyraen, and should be done rather more than less according to your vision. As long as the overall story makes sense, there are no Mary-Sues/Gary Stues and the flow of events is enjoyable, you can customise it to your liking. And, really, I feel that some people should be prewarned that it is going to be *extremely* fanon, and so they should get used to this thought or they will be disappointed.

Plus, better no elvish than broken elvish.

Oh, and sorry for my broken English, btw ;)
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'