A Series of Queries

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

The best question I can think of yet: Why doesn't Someone (ANYONE!) get Scipio to do some Dialog for a mod!!! It would be Eternally Priceless! :rolleyes:

Scipio, you are one of my favorite posters here - on Any subject. I love the way your mind works - or otherwise.

MiM - Impressed and laughing 'till I pee myself. :cheers:

Attached Images

• NEW_Drellos.JPG

They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#62 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

MiM : lol yeah, good question ;)

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#63 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:35 AM

The best question I can think of yet: Why doesn't Someone (ANYONE!) get Scipio to do some Dialog for a mod!!! It would be Eternally Priceless! :rolleyes:

Scipio, you are one of my favorite posters here - on Any subject. I love the way your mind works - or otherwise.

MiM - Impressed and laughing 'till I pee myself. :cheers:

Thank you, MiM, I am flattered.

I am actually working on three NPC mods. Or, rather, TRYING to work on them. I edited the SoA text for one great character whom I love dearly (no, not Aerie). The ToB dialogues are still to come. And when I have cleared the decks of clients' work I shall bury myself in the dialogues and love talks for a stupendously novel character who will rock the Realms. These are both mods for serious characters who don't need my flippancy. Then there is my own mod, a gnome who is very much in prototype stage and whose dialogues will be... um... surreal, I suppose. He will be a genuinely useful NPC but his banters may be a little off the wall. He will MOST ABSOLUTELY NOT be another Jan. I have completed about two-thirds of his dialogues and done all his character development and epilogues. Now I just have to learn how to script a mod!

I have been working slowly and part-time for a few months because of a heart condition induced by an irreversible and progressive condition called Advancing Age. This has put me behind with most of my paying work, which has to be completed before I can get back to writing mod stuff.

Since I work for myself from home and at whatever times I feel inclined to do anything, I can visit SHS as often as I like, which is very often. I write replies or do posts during my coffee breaks, which also happen very often. Writing mods, however, is something that requires sustained concentration and effort.

** My ideal would be for someone to adopt my gnome and use my descriptions and completed dialogues to turn him into a full mod. That of course would be like looking for a president who has time on his hands to run another country. No Iraq jokes, please.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#64 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:24 AM

Sounds good!

OK, two more.

Anomen is a Priest of Helm. And yet, the only way to get him the Helm ring is for him to screw up his knight test so he goes Chaotic Neutral. If he passes, he becomes Good and then you get a Lathander ring. (Yes, I know "good" clerics get a Lathander ring regardless, but what the hell? Perhaps he should have stayed Lawful Neutral).

Elhan and his amazing changing hair. At the Underdark exit, he has iron grey hair. In Suldanesselar, it's magically transformed to, well, last game it was blond...this game it's red. What's up with that?

#65 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:21 AM

Elhan and his amazing changing hair. At the Underdark exit, he has iron grey hair. In Suldanesselar, it's magically transformed to, well, last game it was blond...this game it's red. What's up with that?

Women!!! I don't always notice if my wife changes her hairstyle or colour, and you see an elf go blond?
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.

#66 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

Scipio : if the gnome dialogue is in the right format, I can easily code up something that you can quickly put up in game.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#67 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:29 AM

Scipio : if the gnome dialogue is in the right format, I can easily code up something that you can quickly put up in game.

Thanks, Z. I still have a fair bit of dialogue to write before I get that far. Meanwhile a most delightful modding person has just offered to take a look at the outline for my mod. You are also a most delightful person, needless to say, but I know you have some heavy modding work of your own to do as soon as some lousy, lazy old fart of an editor gets off his A. :whistling:

#68 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:54 AM

Women!!! I don't always notice if my wife changes her hairstyle or colour, and you see an elf go blond?

And you're still alive?

Honestly, I think it is a Polimorph thing with women and their hairstyles... UNfortunately, I have a nonremovable ring of blindness when it comes to any type of hair, so I am imune to damage. :rolleyes:

MiM
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#69 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

Another batch:

1. Why are skeletons white when everyone knows that old bones turn yellow? Have they invented a bleaching compound already?

2. Why are mummies immune to normal arrows while skeletons are not? Arrow-proof embalming? Or kevlar rags?

3. Why can wizards cast hundreds of different spells by saying the exact same thing? Clerics have their own magic word, too.

4. There are many, many giant spiders around Faerun. Where are all the rest of the giant insects? Wouldn't there be giant flies for the spiders to feed on?

5. Why are all bathtubs always filled with water? And CLEAN water, too. Evidently no one bothers to take baths. Perhaps they like to sail boats.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#70 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:49 PM

Another batch:

1. Why are skeletons white when everyone knows that old bones turn yellow? Have they invented a bleaching compound already?

2. Why are mummies immune to normal arrows while skeletons are not? Arrow-proof embalming? Or kevlar rags?

3. Why can wizards cast hundreds of different spells by saying the exact same thing? Clerics have their own magic word, too.

4. There are many, many giant spiders around Faerun. Where are all the rest of the giant insects? Wouldn't there be giant flies for the spiders to feed on?

5. Why are all bathtubs always filled with water? And CLEAN water, too. Evidently no one bothers to take baths. Perhaps they like to sail boats.

Sir C, regardless of what other ridiculous replies you may generate, may I steal these five questions for Agony Auntie? She tends to put a different spin on things.

#71 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

Sir C, regardless of what other ridiculous replies you may generate, may I steal these five questions for Agony Auntie? She tends to put a different spin on things.

Go ahead. Eventually I may have to get a copyright worked out for this series of questions, but until then, they're available for "stealing".

...About Agony Auntie... Sometimes I get the feeling that it's just a pen name for someone else. Does anyone else get these suspicions? :D
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#72 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

I was poking around Trademeet yesterday, and had to wonder why exactly does the High Merchant have a potion of invisibility on the bookshelf in his office? What's he sneaking around for?

#73 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:57 PM

Well, you know, politicians and their double lives...

#74 Balrog99

Balrog99
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:58 AM

Here's one that amazed me my last play through BGT. I was just tying up some loose ends in Beregost after KIA'ing Sarevok. On my travel back to BG to talk to Belt, I was ambushed by six bandits.

Here I am dual wielding longswords, one of them lit up with flame, and carrying a mini-arsenal of weapons on my back. I must have looked like a porcupine in full plate! Not to mention I have five other companions all armed to the teeth...

All this and I'm ambushed by six wimps armed with shortswords and shortbows! These must be the stupidest bandits in the Realms!!!

The mystery here is where do they find these idiots? Does Tazok have some kind of selective breeding program going on for morons? Good thing I was Lawful Evil or I might have felt sorry about 'scalping' them!

Edited by Balrog99, 11 June 2008 - 08:07 AM.

#75 darlarosa

darlarosa

A rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours!

• 384 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

-Why does Imoen say nothing about <CHARNAME> being her sibling

-Why is Anomen such a, pardon my french, douche

-Why is Nalia so....her, I mean she's a good person and wants to help people but doesn't want to get to close to them. You know what I mean.(ask if you want elaboration)

-Why doesn't Hendak take in those kids from the slaver building, or why can't you take them in (if you have a stronghold)

-Why aren't there any really good, interesting, cleric or druid NPC mods in exsistance for bg2??
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#76 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:36 AM

Beggars beseech you to spare a gold coin. Half the time they're standing near a barrel or other container that contains money or minor treasure. Are we stealing their takings or are they just stupid?

#77 darlarosa

darlarosa

A rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours!

• 384 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:47 AM

Beggars beseech you to spare a gold coin. Half the time they're standing near a barrel or other container that contains money or minor treasure. Are we stealing their takings or are they just stupid?

Ooo I can answer this one

You see the beggars are neither stupid nor are we taking their savings. You see Nalia sneak's off into the the city, when a beggar asks for gold she says "Oh sure" but then she puts it in the crate and walks off a bit. Beggars being so incredibly malnourished that they are only able to stand,(because if they sit down their legs will snap and the rats will get at them)do not go to the crate fearing they're legs will snap, causing Nalia to laugh then turn around and "help" them by giving them her gold so she feels good.

YES NALIA I KNOW YOUR SERCRET
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#78 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

Don't think this one is in here yet:
In Irenicus' Dungeon, why doesn't Imoen tell Jaheira that Khalid is dead before they find his corpse?

#79 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:46 AM

Ummm....

Absent-mindedness?

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#80 Eidolon

Eidolon
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:02 AM

Just a couple more queries regarding Irenicus' Dungeon:

-Why does Irenicus, a 20-something level mage, bothers to keep first level scrolls in his personal room,(i.e., Burning Hands, Chromatic Orb) locked and trapped?
-About the trapped floor in the second level, how comes that the traps can work an infinite number of times, but when YOU unlock the wands, they have only one charge left? And while we're at it, how did the escaped clone find one of the keys, since she never left the room she were in?

By the way, Why, among humans, only mages are allowed to sport beards? It's just unfair.... :angry: