A Series of Queries

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

And yet another apparent occasion of time travel....

~Why can Garren Windspear travel all the way from the hills to Athkatla and back within eight hours? His name should be Windfoot, not Windspear.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#42 Nix

Nix

Oh Captain, my Captain!

• 319 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

I often pondered the De'Arnise Keep thing myself. Scipio's uphill-downhill explanation is the most logical! Thankyou. :D

It must be a very sharp gradient indeed if the difference between uphill and downhill is 12 hours! :D

#43 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:20 AM

I often pondered the De'Arnise Keep thing myself. Scipio's uphill-downhill explanation is the most logical! Thankyou. :D

It must be a very sharp gradient indeed if the difference between uphill and downhill is 12 hours! :D

What if Toril is a disc world, not a sphere, spinning like a CD? If the Hold is closer to the centre than the city, centripetal force would fling the party back towards Athkatla.

I only said this so I could wait for arguments about centripetal vs. centrifugal force. Even an argument about smooth vs. crunchy peanut butter would do, though. It would be off-thread UNLESS you wonder why they don't have peanut butter sandwiches at any of the inns. I don't.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#44 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

Or perhaps it's up a mountain and there's a zipline to take you back down?

#45 Amaurea

Amaurea

Thread Killer Extraordinaire

• 409 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

Scipio, I do believe you've inadvertently solved two of the queries! Irenicus has obviously coated the party's boots with smooth peanut butter (only available in the Underdark). They stick to everything on the way. Once they get to the Keep, they wipe their boots on a few dead Yuan Ti, and there ya go! I wonder if those Umber Hulks there like peanut butter? It would beat making Lassie au vin for them. (I never do that, btw)

Garren Windspear obviously does not have smooth peanut butter on his boots. Perhaps he coats his with crunchy peanut butter (best supply for this is in Trademeet), and the nut bits act as ball bearings. Fearuniun rollblades! He GLIDES to Athkatla and back.

Therefore, crunchy peanut butter ftw!!!

#46 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

Scipio, I do believe you've inadvertently solved two of the queries! Irenicus has obviously coated the party's boots with smooth peanut butter (only available in the Underdark). They stick to everything on the way. Once they get to the Keep, they wipe their boots on a few dead Yuan Ti, and there ya go! I wonder if those Umber Hulks there like peanut butter? It would beat making Lassie au vin for them. (I never do that, btw)

Garren Windspear obviously does not have smooth peanut butter on his boots. Perhaps he coats his with crunchy peanut butter (best supply for this is in Trademeet), and the nut bits act as ball bearings. Fearuniun rollblades! He GLIDES to Athkatla and back.

:lol:
So that's why market research shows women prefer crunchy peanut butter. It's all a matter of logic.

I have a similar question about velocity. I encounter someone who tells me to meet him at such-and-such a place. He strolls off at normal walking speed. I have Boots of Ferrari and rush off to the rendezvous, yet he always gets there before me. How?

And although horses seem to be rare they do exist. Why does nobody ever ride anywhere? Not in dungeons or sewers, but going from town to town, or even in town. My PC on a warhorse and carrying a lance would scythe though muggers.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.

#47 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

So that's why market research shows women prefer crunchy peanut butter. It's all a matter of logic.

I have a similar question about velocity. I encounter someone who tells me to meet him at such-and-such a place. He strolls off at normal walking speed. I have Boots of Ferrari and rush off to the rendezvous, yet he always gets there before me. How?

It may appear that he's just strolling, but he's actually taxiing (his boots of P-51 Mustang speed require some preparation before use).

And although horses seem to be rare they do exist. Why does nobody ever ride anywhere? Not in dungeons or sewers, but going from town to town, or even in town. My PC on a warhorse and carrying a lance would scythe though muggers.

The Council of Six declared that they didn't have the funds to employ regular street cleaners, so therefore they put a ban on horses. They also prohibit people from riding cattle in place of horses (which is why there are no bull-riding slave rings) .
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#48 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

I can answer the first since I'm Italian. Everyone knows that the BEST Italian boots come from Milan. Ferrari's come from Modena. Your friend obviously has Milanese shoes.

For the second, I believe the devs thought that one licensing bugaboo was enough. Could you imagine the fees you'd incur from the Cowled Rangers for not curbing your horse?

#49 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:20 AM

How come that even the most plain shopkeeper has enough money to buy everything I want to sell him, even if it's worth over 50000 GP?

Also, where do shopkeepers keep all their stuff? I mean, when I *cough*kill them*cough*, all their great items aren't on shelves nor I can take them from their bodies. Do they use some interdimensional vortex, or what?
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#50 Paloesha

Paloesha
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

How come if you decide to play as a half-orc, you still look like a regular human on the screen? And you sound like one too!

Also, Cernd(and other characters) supposedly have long hair. Yet on that screen, their hair is very short. Also, Minsc is supposedly bald, yet he has short white hair in every other picture in the game.

In Imoen's portrait, she is wearing a light pink shirt or something like that. But when you go into her inventory, you can see she is wearing black. (I suppose you could change it.... I'm just saying. ^_^ )

#51 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

(Forgive if I cover old ground, but I wanted to post these queries before I forgot)

Why is it, in ALL THREE games (BG/BG2 And ToB) PLUS any (major) mods out there - that the ONLY place in the entire continent that a single toilet can be found is in Nalia's family keep?

Actually it might explain:

1. How The family MADE all their money (I imagine people Would come from far and wide for the experience of taking care of business Indoors and NOT squatting on an a sleeping beholder by accident)

2. Why Iranicus, Bhodi, Valen and some of the other baddies are SO *@#&%$ TESTY!

Why is it that <CHARNAME> and Co. can commit multiple murders in the streets, pubs and private homes and get away with it 99% of the time, but if they Steal something, odds are greater that people will freak and soldiers will come running.

Why, after disposing of Mavar (Might have misspelled that, the shadow thief thing) his business stays open and abandoned? None of the beggers, whores, kids or whatnot seek shelter or adventure in the place - even if the door is left wide open. Why do the cops not investigate?

What is the story of the two thugs who jump the party in the slums the first time. (Mr.soandso don't like ya killin people in the street)? Did this ever GO anywhere?

Why are love interests Never attracted to dwarves or orks?

Why no airships (IWD notwithstanding) or submarines. And for that matter, (I forget) Hoiw exactly does the party breath underwater to get to that fish kingdom? (I must have nodded off)

Why do the cowled wizards not send anyone to investigate once contact with Spellhold is lost? Why don't even the folks on the island guess that something is off (And, if the cowled folks DID send someone, how would they get TO spellhold as the control for the magic barrier is controled from the place.)

What do mages wear Under those robes. (I SEE TRADEMEET, I SEE FRANCE! I SEE IMMY'S ... OMG! DOES SHE EVEN WEAR........?......... ! :wub: )

Why is it that in every shop you go to Every character can find the armor they need in JUST their size! (Minsc and Mazzy for example are different, height wise, as well as body shape, I should hope, but you can swap armor without it even pinching)

How is it that Aerie is the only female in the entire universe who can get knocked up?

Thots?

Ohh, and to answer the previous Dili question - she might have just shapshifted into a gold piece and hidden in <CHARNAME>'s pack until the fighting was over - or maybe she's waiting around for a romance mod. :)

Edited by minotaur_in_maze, 25 May 2008 - 11:08 AM.

They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#52 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

I'm pretty sure there's a commode in CI. Hey, he tortured me, but he had indoor plumbing... guess it wasn't so bad after all!

While on the subject, why did someone hide a sapphire in the toilet at the Keep?

A female PC can be impregnated by Kelsey if she choses so in the dialog towards the end of TOB. Kind of makes me glad my ovaries are closing shop.

As for the mage robes, I guess we all know the answer for Scottish mages, but other than that, I think someone should mod some +3 thongs into Ribald's special stock. They could offer protection against Shocking Grasp. If you wanted such a thing.

And, rofl at the De'Arnise pay toilet fortune. Come to think of it, maybe that explains the sapphire...

#53 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

(Forgive if I cover old ground, but I wanted to post these queries before I forgot)

Why is it, in ALL THREE games (BG/BG2 And ToB) PLUS any (major) mods out there - that the ONLY place in the entire continent that a single toilet can be found is in Nalia's family keep?

There's a toilet in Chateau Irenicus, where the duergars hang out on the exit level.
Other than that, I guess they...uh...go outdoors. Or perhaps those little closets you can never open in rich folks' homes.

Why is it that <CHARNAME> and Co. can commit multiple murders in the streets, pubs and private homes and get away with it 99% of the time, but if they Steal something, odds are greater that people will freak and soldiers will come running.

The guards are more interested in magic users, apparently...

Where do the bodies the party killed GO? (What, hungry sprites? Hell, not even Bones or a scrap of cloth is left)

Like I said, large voracious rats.

Why, after disposing of Mavar (Might have misspelled that, the shadow thief thing) his business stays open and abandoned? None of the beggers, whores, kids or whatnot seek shelter or adventure in the place - even if the door is left wide open. Why do the cops not investigate?

The docks are Shadowthief territory. Even the guards know this, and keep out of it. They've got enough to worry about.

What is the story of the two thugs who jump the party in the slums the first time. (Mr.soandso don't like ya killin people in the street)? Did this ever GO anywhere?

Cohrvale and his sidekick...well I guess if there's a bigger story there the folks on Unfinished Business will find it. As for who the enigmatic Mr F is, who knows?

Poor personal hygiene.

Why no airships (IWD notwithstanding) or submarines. And for that matter, (I forget) Hoiw exactly does the party breath underwater to get to that fish kingdom? (I must have nodded off)

There's an airship parked in the promenade.
As for the ship...big air bubble. Or maybe the fishies took you in their funny ship.

Why do the cowled wizards not send anyone to investigate once contact with Spellhold is lost? Why don't even the folks on the island guess that something is off (And, if the cowled folks DID send someone, how would they get TO spellhold as the control for the magic barrier is controled from the place.)

They probably didn't realise right away...after all, the cut scenes indicate that it happened not long before you left for Brynnlaw. I'm sure it'd be business as usual in a short amount of time.

What do mages wear Under those robes. (I SEE TRADEMEET, I SEE FRANCE! I SEE IMMY'S ... OMG! DOES SHE EVEN WEAR........?......... ! :wub: )

Bloomers. Or a leather thong. You decide.

Why is it that in every shop you go to Every character can find the armor they need in JUST their size! (Minsc and Mazzy for example are different, height wise, as well as body shape, I should hope, but you can swap armor without it even pinching)

The same reason why Mazzy can wear Yaga Shura's armour. It's magic, see?

How is it that Aerie is the only female in the entire universe who can get knocked up?

The others are sensible enough to use herbal preparations (or sheep intestines, whatever is easiest. Or the "other" entrance, but she's too innocent for that...)

What I want to know is, why, aside from the Irenicus dungeon, do your captors never take away your gear? I'm talking Angelo arresting everyone in Baldur's Gate, and then the whole Spellhold episode. You'd think they'd put the weapons somewhere, wouldn't you?

#54 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

Cal, SCSII has a component which has them take your gear from you in Spellhold. I always install it. It's lots of fun to plan what you're going to do to get weapons, and armor (thank gods for the limited wish spell you can pick up somewhere in the gauntlet!) You get it back once you meet with the inmates; instead of teleporting to Irenicus, they depart, and you can get your stuff in Johnny's office.

#55 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

The others are sensible enough to use herbal preparations (or sheep intestines, whatever is easiest. Or the "other" entrance, but she's too innocent for that...)

The OTHER Entran- ... No, I Don't want to know. And You know WAAAAYYYYYY to much about sheep, methinks.

And I thought that Irenicus DID take away all your junk in the beginning.

Here are two more:

As Irenicus kidnapped you shortly after BG1 but you were in his evil clutches for awhile (With your entire party might i add) Why did not anybody file a missing person's report (Or Amber Alert for Imoen)

Why would anyone hide a jewel INSIDE a hen (and how did they get it IN there?)

Attached Images

• NEW_Drellos.JPG

They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#56 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

I always wondered who Mr. F was...perhaps Firekrag...? Spelled his name wrong im sure but you get the idea :whistling:

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#57 Abigail

Abigail
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

While on the subject, why did someone hide a sapphire in the toilet at the Keep?

Maybe he actually swallowed it, to hide it from trolls or whatever, but then... do I need to go on? ;P
my deviantart account ---> http://prozakc-blues.deviantart.com

#58 Amaurea

Amaurea

• 409 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

Maybe he actually swallowed it, to hide it from trolls or whatever, but then... do I need to go on? ;P

In that case, I bet whoever it was knew that chicken in Imnesvale.

#59 Scipio

Scipio

• 1790 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

It may seem odd that it is named D'Arnise Hold because they appear to be the only family who don't have to. Don't be misled, however. That solitary toilet is there for the convenience of the person who is playing BG, not for the characters in the game. They all wear colostomy bags that provide infinite stacking.

Politicians can't tax people by confiscating a portion of them, like a forearm or a few toes, but they can claim tax in the form of a portion of any valuable possessions. Stolen items go off inventory and therefore lose their taxable value. I'm surprised Earth politicians haven't thought of this.

The poor people don't want to move in because there are no toilets. The cops are too busy at their main task, which is confiscating portions of valuable items from merchants for tax purposes.

No story, really. Those two are the BG equivalent of the Star Trek crewmen who wear different-coloured uniforms.

Dwarves' recreational organs are shaped like the rest of their bodies -- sort of square and very short. For a girl romancing a dwarf it would be like using a half-brick as a sex toy. For boys having a fling with a female dwarf it would be like using a quarter-pint milk carton. As for orcs, they have sharp teeth protruding from everything that looks like lips.

I've finally figured out why you can get back to Athkatla so much more quickly than you can go to D'Arnise Hold. There is a constant, extremely powerful wind blowing from the hinterland to the west. Airships would all be blown out over the ocean. Submarines don't work so well because the sails get totally waterlogged even at periscope depth. The Saghuin (Scipio spelling) don't take you deeper under the ocean, they pull you to the surface. A drowned person cannot own property and therefore cannot have a portion of it deducted for tax purposes.

They don't send anyone because their airships can get there but not back. Anyway, their catchphrase, "Let them rot in Spellhold," applies to the Spellhold staff as well as the prisoners, so the guys back on the mainland don't care. They are too busy taking 5,000 GP bribes from visiting PCs.

Colostomy bags.

Armour in the Realms is made in the same way as those tube socks they sell for five dollars on Earth -- one size fits all and quickly goes out of shape and keeps slipping down. I'm waiting for Viconia's plate mail to slide below her neckline.

Haven't you been listening to me in every thread where I can possibly say it? I am the PC, and Aerie is my woman of choice! I don't want to make the others pregnant! I want a half-elf child who will outlive me by 100 years and die of old age before his mother reaches menopause.

You've heard it called the throne, right? That was one of the crown jewels.

Why would anyone hide a jewel INSIDE a hen (and how did they get it IN there?)

If you try to hide it on the outside of a chicken it doesn't stay hidden very long.

#60 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

I've always wondered something.

I know that banter mods have been made and npc mods add tons of dialogue, but one thing I always wonder is this.

In the game time that passes between banters, are we to understand that the characters say NOTHING to each other besides "Yeah?" "Hm?" "BOO!" and "Buh?"

Personally, I loved when the IWD characters got pissed for clicking on them too much.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community