Photo

baldur's gate 2 game crashing...(new problem)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 chight10

chight10
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

try playing in windowed mode, see if that fixes anything. :)
"An argument is more than a series of contradictions."

#42 -Grimble-

-Grimble-

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

Thanks, chight10, but I'm pretty sure this won't help in this case. I'll try though!

Waiting for a reply from Jarno Mikkola. I just want to finish this game... I would really appreciate some help!

Thanks!

#43 -Grimble-

-Grimble-

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

Still need help!

#44 -Grimble-

-Grimble-

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:45 PM

Yep... I STILL NEED HELP! Come on, people. Help me finish this game......

#45 -Dragonbice-

-Dragonbice-

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

Yep... I STILL NEED HELP! Come on, people. Help me finish this game......

#46 -Dragonbice-

-Dragonbice-

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hey Grimble!

I'm having the same problem; managed to fix entering the three forest areas but not the Underdark Exit area and I can't speak to Elhan bla bla bla. Anyway, I think there's something wrong with the saved game file because I tried loading other saved games and they work just fine.

This little scrap of information obviously doesn't help you much in itself, however, if these guys want to help out even more than they already have, that might be worth knowing.

@The helps-everyone-out-guys: I'm a bit amazed that you've put so much effort into this so I totally understand if you're not too keen on starting over with me and "Grimble". If you would be so kind, though, then thanks a lot!

Here's the text from my baldur.err:

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: InfScreenWorldMap.cpp
Line: 3069

Exp: FALSE

Msg: Bad Area file, in area "AR2500" need entry point "CDExit".
Run Debugger?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the text from my WeiDU.log (Although I've tried both installing, re-installing and uninstalling different components in the G3 BG2 Fixpack):

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9.01
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9.01
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v9.01
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9.01

I've also tried all the above advice and I have the following files: setup-fixpack_area.exe, setup-fixpack_area.tp2, setup-bg2fixpack.tp2, setup-bg2fixpack.exe, setup-ascension.tp2, setup-ascension.exe.

I even tried changing the coordinates of the entry point into area 2500 (that's the underdark exit, right?..) but that was mostly an act of despair :) so, obviously, it didn't work ^^

Well, thanks again for any help
/Dragonbice

#47 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:28 AM

I'm having the same problem; managed to fix entering the three forest areas but not the Underdark Exit area and I can't speak to Elhan bla bla bla. Anyway, I think there's something wrong with the saved game file because I tried loading other saved games and they work just fine.

I even tried changing the coordinates of the entry point into area 2500 (that's the underdark exit, right?..) but that was mostly an act of despair :) so, obviously, it didn't work ^^

I don't know if that can help, but which area file did you edit?
From what I understand, you had already visited that area, so it has been stored into your .sav file. If you want to edit the area, you must decompress the .sav file and edit its area file.

Here's the text from my baldur.err:

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: InfScreenWorldMap.cpp
Line: 3069

Exp: FALSE

Msg: Bad Area file, in area "AR2500" need entry point "CDExit".
Run Debugger?

Here's the text from my WeiDU.log (Although I've tried both installing, re-installing and uninstalling different components in the G3 BG2 Fixpack):

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9.01
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9.01
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Super Happy Fun Lucky Modder Pack: v9.01
~SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9.01

Have you installed/uninstalled any mod since you first entered that area?

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#48 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:34 AM

Exactly -Dragonbice- should probably just restart the game to check if his changes make any effect, not load a previously saved game.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#49 Dragonbice

Dragonbice
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

I don't know if that can help, but which area file did you edit?

A: It was actually 'setup-fixpack_area.tp2'. When that didn't work, I changed it (x-coordinate 2025 - which was a completely random value :P) back to the original value (404).

From what I understand, you had already visited that area, so it has been stored into your .sav file. If you want to edit the area, you must decompress the .sav file and edit its area file.

I'd love to! How do I 'decompress' the .sav file and then, how do I edit it?

I tried opening the three files "Baldur.gam", "BALDUR.SAV", "WORLDMAP.WMP" in the saved game folder ("G:\Spel\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\save\000000099-loijklmlkm (Edited 0002)" - it's a stupid game name, I know...) using a text editor. When using Microsoft Word 2007, I could make the "WORLDMAP.WMP" file fairly readable with the proper encoding (Japanese (Shift-JIS)), but not much more *understandable* for someone like me. MS Word 2007 automatically suggested this encoding - however, when opening the two other files (including the .SAV file), no suggestion was made and I haven't gone through all of the different encodings since I'm really just experimenting and don't know what I'm doing anyways :)

There's one more thing I recently remembered though: At first, I was playing the game with no mods at all, just the original SOA + TOB install (full). Then, when I left the underdark, had a chat with Elhan etc etc, I was supposed to leave for the "Small Teeth Pass" area (that's what it's called, right?). This is where you're "waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself!", and you run into Drizzt and his party to ask him for aid against Bodhi. After talking to Drizzt, I left the area to continue on the road to Small Teeth Pass. This is where the game crashed the first time. Like I said in my original post, I managed to fix that problem - I did it by downloading and installing G3 BG2 Fixpack. Later on, when I had the Lanthorn and was supposed to return to Elhan, I left the area I was in and clicked the "Underdark Exit" area. Once again, I get the "waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself!" scene and I run into those guys (about 6, I think) that asks if you're *PC name* and then they sort of 'shapechange' so that they look like you and the characters in your party and attack you. I defeated them, left the area and continued on towards the Underdark Exit area. *CRASH*

I don't know if it matters at all, but you know, whatever...

Exactly -Dragonbice- should probably just restart the game to check if his changes make any effect, not load a previously saved game.

The only mod(s) I installed was the G3 BG2Fixpack, since I couldn't enter Small Teeth Pass. Since the Underdark Exit area crash, I've tried uninstalling G3 BG2Fixpack and only installing the CORE fixes, then also the BETA CORE fixes - I've tried re-installing and uninstalling different components *of* the G3 BG2 Fixpack, to see if one of these might be causing trouble. Didn't help. This un/re-installing of different fixpack components is why I don't think my WeiDU.log is very representative - and can probably not tell us much?. No other mods were ever installed.

I've edited the save file with shadowkeeper. Mainly items like containers, oh - and the blood of a silver dragon ^^. I changed one global variable. Aerie dumped me earlier :'( so I changed the romance variable from 3 to 2 (1=flirting, 2=active, 3=dead). After the crashes, I tried changing that as well, back to 3, only because it was a thing I had changed. Of course it didn't help.

@Jarno Mikkola: I'm sort of trying to not lose my lvl 39 Swashbuckler, that's why I haven't started over. Besides, it's not that easily done, starting over from chapter 1, in order to see if I can return to the Underdark Exit area after defeating Bodhi :)

Now, one last thing that I *could* but *won't* do, unless you tell me it's OK: I guess I could share the .SAV file or any other file - if someone feels like taking a look at it. I am, however, a total stranger on the internet, offering a download link. I, myself, would have reservations about that. If you have a way of feeling secure about scanning (or whatever) the link/files/contents, I guess it's an option though.

Thanks a lot for your participation!
Silence, dog! You have no purpose but to die by my hand.

#50 Dragonbice

Dragonbice
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Wohoo! I solved it! And since you all tried to help me to begin with, I'm gonna tell you how I did it :woot:
OK, Grimble, listen up ^^

Download HexEdit. Link to site with download link
Make a backup (just in case) of the file WORLDMAP.WMP, normally located in your ...\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\save\*savedgamename* -folder.
Open up HexEdit and from there, browse to, and open up the WORLDMAP.WMP file.
Use the "Find" function and choose "Hex" out of the three alternatives.
Find "43 44 45 78 69 74" (without the quotes) and replace with "000000000000" (also without the quotes).
Save as WORLDMAP.WMP and replace the existing WORLDMAP.WMP file in your saved games folder with the new, edited version.
Close HexEdit and try once more to travel to the Underdark Exit area.

If I've got this right, the Hex string "43 44 45 78 69 74" seems to resemble the ASCII string "CDExit", and all of these "CDExit" strings need to be exchanged. The string "CDExit" seems to mean that you can't enter an area, that there are no valid entry points. This explanation to it all is just my own guess, though :D.

(There are a lot of these "43 44 45 78 69 74" strings in the WORLDMAP.WMP file, so don't think you're done after replacing one of them with "000000000000". You have to get them all)
Silence, dog! You have no purpose but to die by my hand.

#51 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

Actually, without using hex editors, NearInfinity is a good tool to edit Infinity Engine game files.
Anyway, glad to hear it works, and thanks for sharing your solution!
I don't know what those "CDExit"s are and where they are from...

From what I see you only have the fixpack installed; I'll try to see if it changes anything in that area, when I find some time

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#52 ElvenAvenger

ElvenAvenger
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hey there, first post here, although I already know the forum and the work people do here. Just saying that I've got this problem too, I know this is an old topic, but perhaps someone is starting the game now like me and could get this problem during the game.

I had this problem in the Underdark Exit (game freezing, crashing while I tried to leave) area, tried to find on google someone with the same problem since i did not know what to do and then got here. I tried some of the suggestions people gave in here and the final one was the Hex Edit thing, but since the I could not find the right string on my worldmap file I could not edit it to put it to 000000... and see if it works. So today I gave a try to the WorldMap Mod you can get in this link: http://www.spellhold...net/ie/worldmap and it solved the problem! I just downloaded, installed and then , bing! it worked!

So, just sharing with you guys and with anyone who got this problem in the meantime.

#53 -KKRamone-

-KKRamone-

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Wohoo! I solved it! And since you all tried to help me to begin with, I'm gonna tell you how I did it :woot:

Make a backup (just in case) of the file WORLDMAP.WMP, normally located in your ...\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\save\*savedgamename* -folder.
Find "43 44 45 78 69 74" (without the quotes) and replace with "000000000000" (also without the quotes).
Save as WORLDMAP.WMP and replace the existing WORLDMAP.WMP file in your saved games folder with the new, edited version.

If I've got this right, the Hex string "43 44 45 78 69 74" seems to resemble the ASCII string "CDExit", and all of these "CDExit" strings need to be exchanged. The string "CDExit" seems to mean that you can't enter an area, that there are no valid entry points. This explanation to it all is just my own guess, though Posted Image.

(There are a lot of these "43 44 45 78 69 74" strings in the WORLDMAP.WMP file, so don't think you're done after replacing one of them with "000000000000". You have to get them all)

it worked, thank you so much...

#54 -Taugonz-

-Taugonz-

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Yo!

Sorry for responding to such an outdated topic but I had same issue and tried everything mentioned in this thread but it didn't work for me.  So I uninstalled the mods from the setup-bg2_tweaks.exe and nailed it down to the following mod:

The one that lets you access wilderness areas before Ch. 6 in SoA.  I uninstalled that one specific mod (from bg2-tweaks) and now I can proceed with the main story and access all the forest areas.

#55 -Azurinna-

-Azurinna-

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

If I've got this right, the Hex string "43 44 45 78 69 74" seems to resemble the ASCII string "CDExit", and all of these "CDExit" strings need to be exchanged. The string "CDExit" seems to mean that you can't enter an area, that there are no valid entry points. This explanation to it all is just my own guess, though biggrin.gif.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!  Had the exact same problem.. this worked.. Bless ya for the hard work to find the solution!