Photo

Backstabbing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brannin Vael

Brannin Vael
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:25 PM

I think that it was the original BG1 game that allowed you to do backstab damage while attacking from any quadrant. However it was changed with a patch and/or TotSC. That goes for BG2/ ToB as well of course. Except for some enemies that are scripted to cheat. The rune assasins in the Tanner quest cheat though.

I've never had a problem with the changes as per a thief making a backstab attack and needing to be behind the victim. However only as concerns making the attack while "hiding in shadows" and "moving silently". If your invisible as per the spell, potion, or ring, then it seems logical that the "hiding in shadows" no longer is a factor. Therefore vision no longer being a discovery factor, the thief ought to be able to stand in front of his client with impunity. Only "moving silently" being a factor in possible discovery...or smell, etc.

That being the case. Why then cannot a thief make a front 'backstab' while invisible and as yet undetected by any other sensory means by the intended victim?

Is it feasible to make this an optional component in a thief upgrade? Of course this scripting, or other game change, ought to apply to all thieves in the game if installed.

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this? Thanks.

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:34 PM

While I personally find the idea of 'backstabbing' from any direction while the character is invisible pretty viable, I believe that this is too hardcoded into the game engine for mere modders like myself to change, it would most likely require a programmer's intervention on the game engine itself. BTW, in the current state of things, all player controlled characters (and some other ones defined as 'GOODxxxx') in BG2 must backstab from the rear position while the enemies are excluded from this rule. So, for this exact reason Venduris (from my Chosen of Cyric mod) can 'backstab' from the frontal position (it's not possible to script this otherwise) but Arkanis and his companions that help you in the battle with Bodhi (from the Shadow Thief Improvements mod) can not.

#3 Brannin Vael

Brannin Vael
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the response and info aVENGER. It looks like it will be sometime in the future when or if ever, the source code is released on this game engine that changes of that type can be done then. :)

#4 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:56 AM

I think frontal backstabbing was one way for the weakened enemy thieves to become decent opponents. The assassins who spawn as a result of drawing the Guile card from the deck of many things are perfect examples of how effective cheating can be. Of course those assassins have two stars in two weapon style fighting but I won't complain... not in the least. :)

I feel such encounters should be more frequent in TOB. Perhaps placing a few more skeletal assassins in the Myr forest map, and more thieves in the appropriate quest-related areas would do the trick, as they are far too scarce.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#5 Keera

Keera
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:34 AM

I would say that standing directly in front of an experienced adventurer, even while invisible, in preparation to attacking them, would be a bad idea. Even though their eyes won't perceive you, their senses of hearing and smell could reveal that you are there, as well as that wonderful "6th sense" that lets someone know when they are being watched. All it takes is one suspicious swipe with a weapon, and your done for!

When striking from behind, it's not such a problem - the person is bound to try to spin around before striking, and that gives you time for an attack, even if the target is suddenly aware of an attacker in their personal space.

#6 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:12 AM

I think when you get very experienced you can do it from the sides aswell but not the front because they should really be able to see you when you get to close. Also assassins get the high-level ability 'assassination' where they can backstab anywhere! (only for a couple of rounds though)

*Felstorm backstabbed Venturis for 226 damage (critical hit) with double short swords of backstabbing, W00T!
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#7 -Draven-

-Draven-

Posted 30 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

Isnt backstab just targeting vital points though? Itd make sense to allow it from the front too. Stomach,heart liver and other organs but then im just a lowly item pack and npc mod designer so I wouldnt know anything about this

#8 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:15 AM

Isnt backstab just targeting vital points though?

yeah but the game designers probably thought you would become too powerful and decided to have it only in the back to increase the difficulty of a successful backstab
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 May 2004 - 05:41 PM

The annoying part, is having an enemy turn to attack someone, or something of the sort... or when you think that you're directly behind the enemy, but the game thinks you're just a biiiiiiiiiiiiit to the side... eh.

The odd thing, is that IRL it's easier to sneak up on someone a bit from the side then exactly from behind... their "sixth sense" doesn't kick in that often...

#10 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

BG2 allows a 90° backstab radius from the back - this means that you can turn to the side of the victim somewhat.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:32 AM

BG2 allows a 90° backstab radius from the back - this means that you can turn to the side of the victim somewhat.

You forgot a "theoretically" somewhere in there.