How old are NPCs?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:55 AM

I want to write a story, and so I need these detailes. How old are NPCs (BioWare and NPC mods)? Just a simple noob question. :D Hope you understand. :) Yeah, I know it's simple, but not for me. :P

#2 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

Seriously cannot do the mods!

Well, just as guess;

Jahiera is about 35/40 odd, having been born in the Tethyrian Civil War.
Minsc is probably about 20-25, with little to go on here
Cernd is about 40-50 years old, I can't remember if he has any details on this, he seems about that old, if not older
Aerie is about 95-115, a young but adult elf.
Valygar is about 25-30, you just get the feeling he is around that age
Anomen is probably 19-25
Jan is about 50-70, not sure on how Gnomes are in years in 2nd Ed.
Mazzy is probably about 45-50, purely on Tolkienian Hobbit knowledge
We know Imoen to be ~20
Nalia is probably 18-24
Edwin is ~45-50 due to sheer knowledge to be able to be a Mage
Korgan is probably about 60-75 years old, not too sure on how dwarves are aged
Viconia is probably around 150-200 years old
Sarevok is ~25
Yoshimo is around 25-30, based on his comments.

And that is all I can think of atm, I would wait for more posts to compare

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#3 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Just my take:

Jaheira - 35 to 40, I agree.

Minsc - 19ish... he was on a journey to prove his manhood when he encounters the PC a year before the events in BG2. Medieval-style human societies generally placed age of maturity at 16 to 18 for men. While we are not told how long he was on his dajemma prior to meeting the player, I have a hard time believing it was more than a year. Let's be generous, I do not see Minsc being more than 20.

Cernd - 35.

Aerie - Somewhere between 110 and 120. Elves reach adulthood at 110 and it is strongly implied that she can't be much older than this.

Valygar - 25 to 30.

Anomen - early 20s. His overall manner just screams "young adult."

Jan - Average gnome lifespan is 350 years. Jan is at the high end of middle age... 220 at a minimum.

Mazzy - Halflings reach adulthood in their early 20s. I'd put Mazzy right about that point. She's young and idealistic.

Imoen - The game explicitly states that she's a year younger than the PC. IIRC, the PC is 21 in BG2 and that would make Imoen 20.

Nalia - 20ish.

Edwin - I'd put him at 45 or 50. He's old enough to have outgrown his idealistic phase but not quite old enough to ramble on about the good old days. :whistling:

Korgan - He's definitely middle aged as well, probably 150 years old or so.

Viconia - She's a tough one. I'd say no younger than 220 years old. Viconia seems to be much older than most of the other characters... she certainly seems to have a lot of experience in the world. I could buy pretty much any age up to mid 300s. Remember, 350 is early middle-age for an elf. 220 is very young. In some ways, Viconia strikes me as the elvish equivalent of an early 30s human seductress.

Sarevok - The game states that he is older than the PC, but not much older. 25 at a minimum, 28 at a maximum.

Yoshimo - I'd put him in his upper 20s, but I don't have much evidence for that.

Keldorn - 50 to 60. 60 is really pushing it since that's virtually senile when the average human lifespan in Faerun is seventy. Especially with two young children, he's probably in his upper 40s.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#4 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

Cernd - 35 is probably about right. Remember he has a very young child. I doubt he's older than 40, tops. Yes he has grey hair, but I've a friend who was grey at 25. His face isn't that old.

Valygar - Late 20s, early 30s. Not old, but old enough to be cynical.

Edwin - no I disagree. I think he's around 25. Possibly 30, and certainly no more than 35. The lad is still getting facial piercings, for goodness sake. Sarevok says to him "you remind me of a younger me." That's not to say he's actually younger than Sarevok, but it implies he's not that old yet. Beards *are* ageing - his face doesn't look that old, though. Remember he's a low level NPC in BG.

Sarevok - According to David Gaider, 5-6 years older than the PC - around 26 in Baldur's Gate. However, one doesn't know whether time runs differently in Hell. Suffice to say, though, he is around 27-28 minimum in ToB.

Keldorn - 50s. His epilogue says he dies aged 60, several years after the events of SoA/ToB.

#5 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

Edwin 45?? *runs away in panic* No, no, that is just what some of you people think. I didn't romance someone who could have been my dad, oh noes!!
His intelligence is something he was born with, plus all the studies (and you can be a nerd as a teen, too :D). His wisdom is still 10, suggests he might as well be young. And from the portraits, I'd say 25-30.

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#6 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

Edwin 45?? *runs away in panic* No, no, that is just what some of you people think. I didn't romance someone who could have been my dad, oh noes!!
His intelligence is something he was born with, plus all the studies (and you can be a nerd as a teen, too :D). His wisdom is still 10, suggests he might as well be young. And from the portraits, I'd say 25-30.

He's old enough to have acquired some worldly experience and perspective, young enough to have Something to Prove. I agree with this assessment.

Supposedly Jaheira is 25 years old as a canonical age. As this would be about 19-20 in human terms, it seems very implausible; perhaps we should assume that's "the half-elf equivalent age of 25 for humans." Since that actually makes some sense.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#7 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:17 AM

Ok, now I am most confused... :wacko:
Can you write ages, in well... human frames? I choked then I saw Aerie 100-115...

Ok, I agree, that Nalia is a young noble (about 18-23, I suppose)

*Runs away in panic with Bardess*
Think logically, people...

#8 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:19 AM

Aerie is over 100, being an elf.

~20 in human terms though. :)

Icen

#9 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:23 AM

Suppose Jaheira is (in human terms) about 25-30? In half-elves terms about 50-60??

#10 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

Erm according to the NPC mod, Xan is around 270-280 or so, I forget exactly how old, I calculated it once...
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#11 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

I'd say Xan, in human equivalents, is in his thirties somewhere.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#12 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

Does anyone else know the ages of the bg1 npcs like Kivan or Coran?

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#13 MrToughGuy

MrToughGuy
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:45 PM

I'll weigh in, though most of my guesses will be equivalent human ages, with comparable racial ages in parenthesis:

Aerie: 17-22 (110). Aerie is difficult to pinpoint due to the sheltered nature of her life exaggerating her naivete. However, I would still say that she is extremely young by elven standards, and definitely no older than 25 (human years).

Anomen: 25-28. Clearly he's been a warrior for some time, and D&D characters don't tend to follow historical age-based criteria (censors wouldn't allow 12-year-olds to be married and have kids/people typically live to be ages comparable to current day standards).

Cernd: mid-to-late 30s. Not as old as some seem to think he is. Just because his hair is greyish doesn't mean he's a geezer.

Edwin: mid-to-late 30s. It does take time to become an accomplished wizard, and he's clearly been around for some time, but I'd put his top age at 40.

Haer'Dalis: mid 20s (??). His Planar status would account for much of his worldly demeanor.

Imoen: 20. It's stated in the game itself. 'nuff said.

Jaheira: mid-to-late 20s (30ish). She's been around a bit obviously, but not that long (her first encounter with Ployer was probably one of her first real missions as a Harper).

Jan: 40s (100s according to 2nd Ed PHB). His portrait makes him look older than I believe him to be.

Keldorn: 50s. I'd even go as low as his very late 40s, battle and injury could make him seem older, and knights/paladins don't often live to a ripe old age.

Korgan: early 40s (150ish). He's a mountain dwarf, which live slightly longer than hill dwarves.

Mazzy: early/mid 20s (35). Sounds like she's been on a number of quests already, but her righteousness doesn't yet have the weariness to it that Keldorn's does.

Minsc: early/mid 20s. I just can't envision him still being a teenager.

Nalia: 18-21. Quite possible that she's younger than Imoen, but her noble upbringing makes her seem older.

Sarevok: mid/late 20s. Obviously he's several years older than the PC (his younger ghost summoned by the Solar was a child, not a newborn).

Valygar: early 20s. His grave personality and military service make him seem older than I believe he really is.

Viconia: late 20s/early 30s (130). Drow get down to business early (if they don't start defending themselves, they don't live very long), and 2E drow don't naturally live as long as regular elves.

Yoshimo: mid 20s. Hard to say...he's very worldly, but doesn't talk about himself or many of his past experiences.

Edited by MrToughGuy, 16 August 2008 - 12:02 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

Minor point: I think the only remotely logical way of squaring the game with the canon timelines is that the PC and other Bhaalspawn were conceived before the Time of Troubles (how long before varies by race), the ritual of Sacrifice was to take place immediately after it, and the PC has spent the last 10 years at Candlekeep and remembers nothing previous due to trauma and/or magical tampering.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#15 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Here's my:

Ajantis - well, maybe 25-35, or something like that...

Alora - I actually, don't know. She's a halfling. Maybe - 23

Branwen - maybe, mid-thirties.

Coran - 25-30. In elf - 150-160.

Dynaheir - 24-28, just a little older than Minsc

Edwin - Someone said: 18-45. For the love of Bhaal!!! I actually think - 22-24.

Eldoth - 25-30.

Faldorn - 26-28.

Garrick - He's young, about 20-25

Imoen - If the PC 20, Imoen must be 18-19.

Jaheira - 30-35, then again: in half-elf - 70-80

Kagain - Dwarf? Dwarf.

Khalid - the same with his wife: 30-35

Kivan - 25-28, ah, the young love. (150-155)

Minsc - 22-24. I don't know that to say.

Montaron - now, in human: 45, maybe...

Quayle - he's old: 60-70

Safana - hardly, I can give her 30. Maybe - 25?

Shar-Teel - 24-26, in half-elf - 68

Skie - 25, no comment

Tiax - I DON'T know. Exscuse me.

Viconia - Being a drow, maybe 28-30 (130)

Xan - As Sammi and others said - late 30s.

Xzar - He's like Montaron - 45.

Yeslick - Again Dwarf.

My, my I don't know anything about dwarfes.

#16 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

Where does it actually say that Imoen is younger than the PC? There's always just references to her being like a "little sister" and "of a comparable age", or whatever the exact quote is. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

And Minsc really can't be 19 - he looks too old, and sounds it, too. I'd say more like 26 - 28, personally.

#17 MrToughGuy

MrToughGuy
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, Imoen says "I'm as old as CHARNAME" when Jaheira scolds her when you find Khalid's body, so maybe she's the same age as the PC after all.
Posted Image

#18 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:08 AM

I know, that Imoen is "PC's Little Sister", so she, must be younger than PC.

#19 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:21 AM

Actually, she fits the role of little sister, so is only known to be little sister in personality. :)

Icen

#20 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:12 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought. In fact, when you want Imoen to leave the party in SoA, she says something about, "Okay, little brother/sister, no problem here." Something along those lines.