Baldur's gate & Neverwinter Nights creatures

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#21 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

This is Azsil, my imp familiar. He greatly enjoys changing form and playing mind games with its master. smile.gif

Based on the one Epantiras draw for my "baldurizaton". Do you recognise him? laugh.gif Dedicated to Flysoup and Epantiras who helped me in my "baldurization"! Special thanks hug.gif to Epantiras for his overall help and guiding. biggrin.gif

:D you're welcome

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#22 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

:D you're welcome

So do you like it Epantiras? It's my first digital painting and it took me many hours to complete it! Hope you're not dissapointed by the result...

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#23 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:27 AM

Nice colors you picked. :]
It looks kinda ethereal, I suppose you intended it that way, what with the wisps of smoke and everything, hm?
Neat. :]

#24 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Nice colors you picked. :]
It looks kinda ethereal, I suppose you intended it that way, what with the wisps of smoke and everything, hm?
Neat. :]

Thank you WeeR! Indeed i intended it that way and i'm happy you like it! :D Basicaly a big credit for the colours goes to Epantiras as i tried to stay somewhat close to the original. Well with such an inspiring reference and hard work, i added some personal ideas and here's the result! :)

My Deviant Art account

#25 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:17 AM

This is Azsil, my imp familiar. He greatly enjoys changing form and playing mind games with its master. :)

Based on the one Epantiras draw for my "baldurizaton". Do you recognise him? :lol: Dedicated to Flysoup and Epantiras who helped me in my "baldurization"! Special thanks :hug: to Epantiras for his overall help and guiding. :D

Made during October-November 2008 by digital colouring my sketch.

Credits: Brushes used from Obsidian Dawn http://www.obsidiandawn.com

I'd love to hear your comments! :D

That familiar ROCKS! I love the mood and the creepy uncanny feeling it gives me. As mentioned before that is what makes a illustration good, when it awakes feelings. :new_thumbs:
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#26 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

That familiar ROCKS! I love the mood and the creepy uncanny feeling it gives me. As mentioned before that is what makes a illustration good, when it awakes feelings. :new_thumbs:

Thank you so much flysoup! I'm so glad you like it! :hug: You advise is great and i hope i'll keep it that way... :D

My Deviant Art account

#27 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Yes, the imp looks quite nice, but a close examinations shows one really disturbing thing, the imp itself is takes from a completely white sheet, making the borders look very bad, if not horrible... so it looks a bit off.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#28 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

Yes, the imp looks quite nice, but a close examinations shows one really disturbing thing, the imp itself is takes from a completely white sheet, making the borders look very bad, if not horrible... so it looks a bit off.

Thanks Jarno! Well, i can see your point, but think of that: Because the sketch was hand drawn, any zoom further that it's original size makes it looks worse. I worked on it, at about 150%-200% of it's original size (not a side of a desk lol). Working on very high zoom would be a point but it looks horrible to work at 1000% or more...
Do you have any suggestions on that? I mean, i'm an amateur and any help would be great! It's my firt ever digital work! I have many things to learn yet....

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 08 November 2008 - 11:21 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#29 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:20 AM

I uploaded a new version of Imp familiar with minor changes. Epantiras thank you for your great help! :D At least the borders are much better :)

My Deviant Art account

#30 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

Might have been a good idea to keep the original for comparison, the differences seem quite subtle. .p

#31 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:47 AM

Might have been a good idea to keep the original for comparison, the differences seem quite subtle. .p

:doh: I just deleted the original 2 minutes ago... (searching my backup)

My Deviant Art account

#32 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:34 AM

Ok, here there are for comparison (the differences are quite subtle) :
How many can you find? lol WARNING: difficulty level: INSANE
1)
Spoiler

2)
Spoiler

3)
Spoiler

4)
Spoiler

5)
Spoiler

The old one:
Imp_familiar_old_sm.JPG

The new one:
imp_familiar_sm.JPG

My Deviant Art account

#33 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

:blink: It looks so much better now...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#34 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

:blink: It looks so much better now...

Thank you so much Jarno! :hug: An imp's opinion is very important it this matter... :lol:

My Deviant Art account

#35 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

I've uploaded my new drawing: Bone spider! Check the first post and i'd love to hear your comments! :D

My Deviant Art account

#36 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:48 PM

:woot: O love it! So... so... digitailed.

#37 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

:woot: O love it! So... so... digitailed.

Digi..what? :o ??? Anyway, thank you so much Aliya! :hug:

My Deviant Art account

#38 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

o_O

O_o

What... What exactly did you do with it? o_O
It looks very 3D.
That's part thanks to how it looks detached from the background, but still, very 3D. Particularly the lighting looks like a bloom effect from 3d software stuffs.

Ummm. To be honest, I'm kind of stunned. It looks like a freaking giant leap from the imp... @_@

#39 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

o_O

O_o

What... What exactly did you do with it? o_O
It looks very 3D.
That's part thanks to how it looks detached from the background, but still, very 3D. Particularly the lighting looks like a bloom effect from 3d software stuffs.

Ummm. To be honest, I'm kind of stunned. It looks like a freaking giant leap from the imp... @_@

Oh WeeR! :hug: Thank you so much! Your words mean so much for me! :D I worked so hard on this one! I used a combination of your tutorial, epantiras way and an other great tutorial on DA: http://drak.devianta...dobe-7-29640680 . Plus adding many, many more of my own ideas. Basicaly used extra soft brushes for coloring, about 3 layers of colour plus one extra lightening layer plus one extra shading layer + various effects like sharpening, blur, used pseudocolors in maintones and lightnings and spend countless hours trying different contrast mixes for better blend and lighting. The background is from brushes but it still took me many hours to create that magical feeling. Used shading + lightning effects too (from photoshop). The original spider has even more details but i used some blur to make it blend with the background. I worked about 18-20 hours on it! (mainly because i was making experiments with it more than just trying to complete it) I'm so happy that you like it! :D

My Deviant Art account

#40 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

Heh. Heh. Now let's not get too huggin' fruity here. .p

So, you put in the base colors sharp, then locked layer opacity to keep the edges sharp while you worked with soft brushes?
Juust curious; used without photoshop wizardry, soft brushes tend to make a mess of things. .p