Baldur's gate & Neverwinter Nights creatures

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

Heh. Heh. Now let's not get too huggin' fruity here. .p

So, you put in the base colors sharp, then locked layer opacity to keep the edges sharp while you worked with soft brushes?
Juust curious; used without photoshop wizardry, soft brushes tend to make a mess of things. .p

Well...that was not the way. Sharpening was done only when the colouring was finished. (and actually didn't changed but about 0,01% the drawing :P ). The base colouring was done according to that tutorial in DA. It's an amazing tutorial btw, and it explains many of the things i've done. All the painting was done with soft brushes. ( about 15-30 % opacity and flaw) But i used additional shading and lightning according to your way. + i used selection areas according to Epantiras way. Plus i used verious extra personal adds. Well i also used more than two layers for coloring, adding totally 3 tones of colour. But with the shading and the lightening, i used also two more colors. So it ended with 5 different tones. I didn't followed your advise in everything, so instead of making shading with black and white, i choosed similar to black and white colours (which were blending well with the other ones) and painted very carefully some areas. All done in high zoom with carefull work. But if you work with soft brushes, with a simple color-layer you can accomplish more than 4-5 tones of that color. So the real tones maybe are more than 20 on the spider! Believe me it took me many hours.... But i think that it was that, which made the spider look great. All effects were done after the painting. They were actually only usefull for the blending. I didn't use any dodge or burn as the tutorial on DA suggested because when i tried it, it mostly ruined my colors, instead of making a good effect. A great change was done by choosing the right pseudocolors (carefully so that they won't ruin the image) and by using the right contrast. And some lightning & shading effects were added. Well the effects have no meaning if the base painting is messy but you know the right amound of light in the right place can make a good painting great! :cheers:

PS: Damn, I see everywhere pixels now...lol.

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#42 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:29 AM

Ah, I think there's a little mixup here; you talk of Low Opacity brushes as 'soft'.
Soft brushes normally refer to soft edged brushes, the stuff with the feathery edges. .p

Mmm, I used to work a bit with low opacity brushes, but then I got lazy; it's faster to get a near-solid surface with full opacity-high-flow. So instead I nowadays just do more blending, works well for comic styles... .p

So, what's next? :D

Edited by WeeRLegion, 22 November 2008 - 01:31 AM.

#43 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:24 AM

Ah, I think there's a little mixup here; you talk of Low Opacity brushes as 'soft'.
Soft brushes normally refer to soft edged brushes, the stuff with the feathery edges. .p

Mmm, I used to work a bit with low opacity brushes, but then I got lazy; it's faster to get a near-solid surface with full opacity-high-flow. So instead I nowadays just do more blending, works well for comic styles... .p

So, what's next? :D

You've right, forgive me, i meant low opacity and flaw brushes when i was talking about "soft brushes". Well, i have many things to learn yet...lol
Your tutorial works great for comic styles but as you can see, with a little convertions it worked well for my work too!
:Bow: Praise you and Epantiras for all your help! :Bow: :D

I don't really know what's next... :P

My Deviant Art account

#44 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:37 AM

You should try something more difficult; maybe a man in some sorta tin-can and stuff, or you know, just a creature thing with more variations in base color.
As in: the imp is essentially purple, and the spider is kinda overall bleached yellow; try something that involves multiple base colors. ^^

Edited by WeeRLegion, 22 November 2008 - 04:37 AM.

#45 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

You should try something more difficult; maybe a man in some sorta tin-can and stuff, or you know, just a creature thing with more variations in base color.
As in: the imp is essentially purple, and the spider is kinda overall bleached yellow; try something that involves multiple base colors. ^^

Well, that would be a great challenge! I had that in my mind. But i had to start from the simple ones (they tended to be far more complicated that i'd thought).
I'm still at my first steps in digital painting and i have many things to learn yet! I think i should first familiarize with this method and then go on with more complicated things. But on the other hand i want to go further with it! Well, i'm chaotic, so i can't tell what will come to my mind! lol. But anyway, be sure that soon or later i'll try a painting with more base colors! :D

My Deviant Art account

#46 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

You were wonderful to begin with, but the improvement you've made in such a short space of time is simply staggering, Silinde. Well done! That bone spider is wonderful. Bravo! Bravo!

#47 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:24 PM

You were wonderful to begin with, but the improvement you've made in such a short space of time is simply staggering, Silinde. Well done! That bone spider is wonderful. Bravo! Bravo!

:blush: Thank you so much Crazee! :D Your encouragement really means so much to me! It really gives me a reason to continue!

My Deviant Art account

#48 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

New creature added: Cat familiar! For your conveniance i'll post it here too (and of course on the first page as usual).
This is my first photo-manipulation based on a pic of a cat I've taken some years before :D

Created on February 2009

Cat familiar
cat_familiar_SHS.JPG

I'd love to hear your comments! :D

My Deviant Art account

#49 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Your cat has an earring? :blink:

#50 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:05 AM

So, umm. What did you do to it? .p

Added earring as Aliya noted I guess, and... changed the tone somewhat brighter and whiter? And... Umm. You did something with the eyes? o_O

#51 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

Your cat has an earring? :blink:

:Poke: The earring is actually drawn by me on top of the photo! Does it look real? lol :lol: Do you like it?

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 20 February 2009 - 09:28 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#52 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

So, umm. What did you do to it? .p

Added earring as Aliya noted I guess, and... changed the tone somewhat brighter and whiter? And... Umm. You did something with the eyes? o_O

It's nice to know that my changes are not so obvious. I changed a little the color balance, added somewhat cyan highlights and removed a tiny black spot (that was disturbing) somewhere in the main body. Also, i've completely changed the eye's color and of course as it's easily noticed, I added an earring and some cyan facial markings to make it look more magical. :D

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 20 February 2009 - 09:29 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#53 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Will looks even better, if you add some 'magical' effects. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Aliya, 20 February 2009 - 11:28 AM.

#54 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Will looks even better, if you add some 'magical' effects. Posted Image

Posted Image

Do you think? I will see what I can do ;)

My Deviant Art account

#55 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Upon Aliya's request, i'll reveal my familiar's true power! lol I present you the Ethereal cat! :D
I hope you like it now Aliya! ;)
Ethereal_cat_SHS.JPG

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 21 February 2009 - 06:02 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#56 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

Hahaha, overkill. xD

[ramble]
Like the flames, the shadows may be a little over the top. Hm, you could maybe try to darken the magicky patterns aronud the eyes, they're kinda faint. .p
[/ramble]

#57 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

Hahaha, overkill. xD

[ramble]
Like the flames, the shadows may be a little over the top. Hm, you could maybe try to darken the magicky patterns aronud the eyes, they're kinda faint. .p
[/ramble]

I updated the pic and darkened the magic patterns as you said. ;) Is it better now?
I know about the shadows... I might overdone it a little :P but this way it seems more magical as the cat seems to be a light source (from the ethereal flames). Btw, i love the way the flames turned too! I love ethereal flames! haha

My Deviant Art account

#58 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

You're certainly a tattoo-liker, Silin. Hey, will you make cat's eyes glow, with inner dark power? Huh, huh? It'll be so :coolthumb:

#59 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:21 AM

You're certainly a tattoo-liker, Silin. Hey, will you make cat's eyes glow, with inner dark power? Huh, huh? It'll be so :coolthumb:

I re-updated it and made her eyes glow! Is it better? :D
PS: Yes i'm, a tatoo-lover haha

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 21 February 2009 - 03:23 AM.

My Deviant Art account

#60 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:42 AM

Just a little more, and it's will be perfect! Circle with around pupils a little bit.

Like this:
post_8237_1235215189.jpg

Edited by Aliya, 21 February 2009 - 04:49 AM.