Photo

Garrick bug

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:56 AM

Following the advice that Leomar gave me I made a topic about the bug I encountered with Garrick in the new BWP 5.5.2 install, a bug that I didn't encounter in the previous versions. The bug is that after I meet him in Beregost and get the quest to help that woman- Silke- for 300 gp to kill those 3 guys, after I refuse and kill her, Garrick doesn't talk to me - "Garrick - has nothing to say to you". Normally he would have talked with me and joined the party from what I remember.

This is my weidu log

Edit: I loaded a earlier save and the bug didn't appear anymore. Sorry for the useless post.

Attached Files

Edited by dreamer2007, 08 December 2008 - 06:07 AM.

#2 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

No, problem. Thanks that you have tested it again and so we know now, that this is not really a bug.

Happy gaming. :)

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#3 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:41 AM

As a side note, I think I know what caused the "bug". I'm betting you got an exploding chunks kill of Silke. For whatever reason death counters don't increment when you do that sometimes(I know that happened to me with the four half-ogres and I've heard of it happening in the quest at the farm north of Baldur's Gate). So Silke's death counter likely never increased, so Garrick thought she was still alive.

#4 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

As a side note, I think I know what caused the "bug". I'm betting you got an exploding chunks kill of Silke. For whatever reason death counters don't increment when you do that sometimes(I know that happened to me with the four half-ogres and I've heard of it happening in the quest at the farm north of Baldur's Gate). So Silke's death counter likely never increased, so Garrick thought she was still alive.

Yes I think that was what caused the bug. I killed her in a second I think :D . I got some really fast lucky shots.

#5 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:59 PM

Really bad with these death counter bugs in BG1. Some of them will be fixed in the next BGT version, but we know, there could exists more. Now Silke is added...

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 09 December 2008 - 11:00 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

dreamer2007, can you use your CLUAConsole and type in:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("SilkeFightOver","GLOBAL")

and report to me what value it says in the dialogue box?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#7 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

dreamer2007, can you use your CLUAConsole and type in:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("SilkeFightOver","GLOBAL")

and report to me what value it says in the dialogue box?

It just says GLOBAL:silkefightover set to 1 when I load a save after I killed Silke and GLOBAL:silkefightover not exist when I load a save before I killed her. This is all that appeared in the dialogue box.

#8 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:13 AM

Well that means there isn't a problem with Die() and there is probably a problem with Garrick here.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#9 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for testing it. I think that was a unique thing. :)

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 18 December 2008 - 02:24 AM.

- Chevalier

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

Still, someone needs to find out what is wrong with Garrick here.

--------------
Retired Modder

#11 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

Perhaps it is nothing wrong with Garrick, because with reloading this bug doesn't occur again.
I think we hold that in mind and if someone has the bug again, we can try then to solve the problem. :)

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#12 Leo_TR

Leo_TR
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

Perhaps it is nothing wrong with Garrick, because with reloading this bug doesn't occur again.
I think we hold that in mind and if someone has the bug again, we can try then to solve the problem. :)

Greetings Leomar

Leomar directed me to this post since i had this bug and mentioned in other topic. Sorry i didnt make it earlier.

I got that working after my post and reading the previous posts here the way i had it working fits %100.

I was playing an extracted character and a fast game to catch up my ruined previous play. I realized i kill Silke so fast and have the bug. So, i let Silke fight a bit (cast self mirror image second time at least) then deal with her and there was no problem. It must be something related to that.

Edited by Leo_TR, 21 January 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#13 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

If her scripts don't fire (spellcasting) then the Die() block might not run as well. Is GArrick looking for a SPRITE_IS_DEAD check for Silke or is it a different Global setting when she dies?
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#14 Leo_TR

Leo_TR
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

If her scripts don't fire (spellcasting) then the Die() block might not run as well. Is GArrick looking for a SPRITE_IS_DEAD check for Silke or is it a different Global setting when she dies?

I had a save before i solved this quest. Loaded that to make comparison. Got two different saves after Silke fight one with Garrick bug and one without it. Checking through Global Variables via ShadowKeeper

Both saves have "SPRITE_IS_DEADSILKE=1"
But the one without bug has "SILKEFIGHTOVER=1" different from the other.

In the bugged save typing CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("SILKEFIGHTOVER","GLOBAL",1) solves it, Garrick and merchants talk as they should.

More on this:

* If i retreat in front of Burning Wizard as soon as fight starts and instantly kill Silke there, no bug occurs. That means it is not related to the length of fight. So, i thought there might be something related to line of sight but no, i had it worked even i kill her in front of Red Sheaf.

* I also tried if something Silke moves or not causes the bug, came out that no relation about that.

* Tried if it is important who makes the killing blow (last hit) nothing useful about that.

* When you have the bug, if you CTRL+Y and kill one of the merchants (Glayde, Faltis, Tessilan) everything works fine.

Edited by Leo_TR, 21 January 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#15 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

In my installation her script has this in the second block

IF
	Die()
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("SilkeFightOver","GLOBAL",1)
END

I have noticed sometimes that waiting a little bit for these globals to register helps for the character in question to recognize the check. Especially in large installs and alsotactics mods (BP, SCS) add a lot of content to mage scripts.

@Ascension64

Would it make a difference if there was a Continue() after the block or should it be compiled somewhere at the top or bottom? I have never had a problem with this quest although I am using the not so current version of BGT (105b :o ) and likewise with SCS.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#16 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

Well, from what Leo_TR has reported, the Die() block didn't even trigger in the bugged scenario. Continue() wouldn't help if the Die() block doesn't even trigger. It still remains to be seen exactly why Die() doesn't trigger properly.

--------------
Retired Modder

#17 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

@ Leo

Thank you very much for the report and for the great test. :)

Can you attach your WeiDU.log and the following saves?

- Before the fight with Silke
- The working save after the fight with Silke
- The bugged save after the fight with Silke

Is that possible?

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier