• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

Very smooth looking! :]
Impressive, actually, since it's a good bit different from any of your earlier styles that I've seen; when did you make the leap? O-o

Hm... Looking at it real sharp though, IF I'm interpreting the detail correctly, she's got her breasts tugged quite tight to her armpits. Hummm. o-o

#22 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:40 AM

*sniff* I think I'll change Mazzy's haircut, too. I can't draw braids, except for Jaheira's. <_<

#23 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

Really beautiful work, Sammi :) I like her alternate haircut. It's much better than that one she has on her original portrait.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair

#24 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Very smooth looking! :]
Impressive, actually, since it's a good bit different from any of your earlier styles that I've seen; when did you make the leap? O-o

Hm... Looking at it real sharp though, IF I'm interpreting the detail correctly, she's got her breasts tugged quite tight to her armpits. Hummm. o-o

I actually have been drawing like that for quite some time, its just that most of my drawings in that style never make it up to the internet because I'm still not confident with my skills in it yet...But I have a lot of stuff like this lying around.
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#25 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

You've made her super cute. I can see why Edwin tried to get her to share his bedroll, now. :D

#26 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

• 657 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

^_^ Kay, I'm done! Here's the portrait in two different sizes, showing different levels of detail.mazz2.png
mazz3.png

And here it is, cropped and scaled so it'll fit into BGII, if any of you want to use it as an alternate portrait.
Attached File  mazzyL.bmp   55.17K   264 downloadsAttached File  mazzyS.bmp   3.4K   278 downloads

Edited by Sammi Somara, 08 January 2009 - 04:11 PM.

-Cernd

I hate Elminster!

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#27 Yuwakusha

Yuwakusha
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

Absolutely fabulous. You really captured Mazzy's personality I think in this one. And the texture is superb.

Kudos to you.

:D

#28 Jenne

Jenne

Assault of The Mighty Feet is coming, beware!

• 85 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

Sammi, that's great! Especially I love the hair. Something bugs me about her eyes though - I think her irises are too small and therefore there is too much white in her eyes. Other than that, cool! :woot:

Elminster this, Elminster that. Give me 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse.

My personal blog - in Czech. You've been warned.
My DA account, although it isn't tended too much.

Posted Image

#29 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:30 AM

It's good. :]

The eyes are a bit wrong though. They looks too much like flat white; they should rather be a darker grey with a peak highlight of light-grey (almost white) near the center.

And what Jenne said, the irises are a bit small. Or, well not really; they eyes are a bit on the large & animeish side, you'd need larger than average irises for those.

EDIT: Ah, just noticed. You've colored the whole eye white; it's got no tear channel.
You probably know this, but I'll mention it just to clarify the point.
Viewed from the front, the eyeball is a perfect circle; it's just partially covered by eyelids so it doesn't look like a circle. The eye you've got there, thanks to the missing tear-channel, looks like a vague white paint blot, basically.

But it is good, I'll just have to repeat that after all this criticism. :]

Edited by WeeRLegion, 09 January 2009 - 01:37 AM.

#30 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:18 AM

Great work Sammi! :D I really love the hair too! It's so cool that tempts me to do a digital portrait to test my tablet (yeah! i got a wacom bamboo!) on a hair technique! But for now i'm working on an other thingy... so maybe later. :)

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#31 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:07 AM

It looks absolutely beatiful, Sammi! :) I love how you made her hair. Although I agree with WeeR about her eyes, I think you've done really good work.
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair

#32 JAMoczo

JAMoczo
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:59 AM

Beautiful! I want to rub her hair!
~Jen~

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

?Here, take this. It?s a few special concoctions I whipped up to help you tomorrow should Lorne decide to poison you, cheat, or simply give you several gaping chest wounds.?
- Sand, Neverwinter Nights 2

?I would grieve for Eldoth, if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel.?
- Xan, Baldur?s Gate

I can does write fanfiction?

Have Facebook? Then you should join The Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart! ... please :)

#33 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

• 657 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Sammi, that's great! Especially I love the hair. Something bugs me about her eyes though - I think her irises are too small and therefore there is too much white in her eyes. Other than that, cool! :woot:

The eyes are a bit wrong though. They looks too much like flat white; they should rather be a darker grey with a peak highlight of light-grey (almost white) near the center.

And what Jenne said, the irises are a bit small. Or, well not really; they eyes are a bit on the large & animeish side, you'd need larger than average irises for those.

EDIT: Ah, just noticed. You've colored the whole eye white; it's got no tear channel.
Viewed from the front, the eyeball is a perfect circle; it's just partially covered by eyelids so it doesn't look like a circle. The eye you've got there, thanks to the missing tear-channel, looks like a vague white paint blot, basically.

Well, the eye actually is grey with a white highlight, but I guess the shade of grey was too light to notice. I've never been that good with realistic eyes. So thanks for the help, but I probably will forget it before I can actually use it. Because I'm a total space cadet. Whee!

Oh, by the way, I've tested it in-game to make sure it isn't too light, and it actually works out pretty well. ...Makes me realize I need to redo my Bhaalspawn's custom portrait at one point because compared to this picture of Mazzy she looks like a frickin' ghost...

Edited by Sammi Somara, 09 January 2009 - 05:25 PM.

-Cernd

I hate Elminster!

#34 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Well, the eye actually is grey with a white highlight, but I guess the shade of grey was too light to notice. I've never been that good with realistic eyes. So thanks for the help, but I probably will forget it before I can actually use it. Because I'm a total space cadet. Whee!

Oh, by the way, I've tested it in-game to make sure it isn't too light, and it actually works out pretty well. ...Makes me realize I need to redo my Bhaalspawn's custom portrait at one point because compared to this picture of Mazzy she looks like a frickin' ghost...

Remind me to write you a tutorial how to get a realistic eye very easily. Whenever I don't know what to draw, I draw eyes (or cute chibi undead). One who gazed into my school books would find my school books also gazed into them - with a thousand eyes! And through all that practice, I got *really* good at drawing realistic eyes. And it's really not all that difficult, I've discovered. :) I think I'll do a tutorial. :)

Oh, and I love how Mazzy looks! It's really just the eye that needs fixing. :lol:

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!

#35 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

Please do, Jazhara, I'd be helped by it as well - I've been trying to learn how to draw beyond my usual stick figures, and I always get stumped at the eyes.. and the nose.. and the hair.. and the mouth.. and everything else. :mellow:

Edited by Choo Choo, 10 January 2009 - 07:36 AM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#36 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:58 AM

Remind me to write you a tutorial how to get a realistic eye very easily. Whenever I don't know what to draw, I draw eyes (or cute chibi undead). One who gazed into my school books would find my school books also gazed into them - with a thousand eyes! And through all that practice, I got *really* good at drawing realistic eyes. And it's really not all that difficult, I've discovered. :) I think I'll do a tutorial. :)

Oh, and I love how Mazzy looks! It's really just the eye that needs fixing. :lol:

You do that and I'll put a link to it in Tutorials thread :D
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#37 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

Please do, Jazhara, I'd be helped by it as well - I've been trying to learn how to draw beyond my usual stick figures, and I always get stumped at the eyes.. and the nose.. and the hair.. and the mouth.. and everything else. :mellow:

You do that and I'll put a link to it in Tutorials thread :D

Will do! :lol:

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!

#38 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

Very nice sketch Sammi ^_^

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#39 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

Great entries, everyone! I fear what would happen should she hear me say it, but Mazzy looks really cute in all of the pictures so far.

Sammi, have you ever thought of doing a portrait pack?

#40 Shae

Shae
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Lythari: I think I've mentioend on DA that I like your armour design for Mazzy :D The way you did her hair works really well too.
JAMoczo: Woo, serves Anomen right for picking on Mazzy.
Cykuta: I never even thought about that! Now that you mentio9n it though, do the dwarves/gnomes become their underdark counterparts or are they also transformed into drow? I love the way Mazzy keeps her bright orange colours even as a mini-drow.
Sammi: I like the different angle you've taken and indeed this style of yours looks lovely. That hair must have taken you an awfully long time to do.

And now my picture is finally done:

Mazzy0.jpg

Colour this time, because I needed something to start learning how to use photoshop on. I've been interested by the way I saw halfling heads depicted in... I think it was a 3rd edition book, and so I tried the the skull stretching out more at the back thing myself. Not that you can tell with all the hair :P
I scribble and I chirp, wait no. I mean tweet (infrequently). And sometimes I tumble about as well.